Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room > Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 09-08-2017, 01:36 PM  
__

The possibility of keeping Alex Smith.

Alright, let's get down to some nitty gritty here, folks.

What if Alex Smith is amazing in 2017? The Chiefs hand will be forced -- keep him. 2018 will be the final year of his contract and it's a $20m cap hit. Not unreasonable for a guy playing extremely well.

So, what would the Chiefs have to do?

First, we pretty much have the cap met RIGHT NOW, assuming we bring back absolutely no one who is a free agent. So our cap is royally ****ed.

The two most popular ideas right now are cutting DJ/Hali, or letting them both retire, or whatever. Cutting them saves us a combined $15m. We likely have DJ's replacements already on the roster, and Ford will be entering his contract year in 2018.

We can also cut (or trade) Allen Bailey if we want to elevate RNR to a starting slot. Trading Bailey saves us $8m (and nets us a draft pick or whatever). Cutting him saves us $6m.

If Eric Fisher has a really good 2017, maybe we just extend/restructure him at the end of the season. That would lower his cap hit in 2018 (right now it's slated for $14m).

I wouldn't touch Allen Bailey, but I'd cut DJ/Hali and extend/restructure Fisher. That allows us to keep Mr. Smith and have roughly $20m in cap space, $5m of which can go to our rookie class.

I think it's non-negotiable that we bring back Terrance Mitchell, but he shouldn't cost a ton. Bennie Logan might be a good idea -- although, again, we could just play RNR at the nose and be fine (which is what I would do if we kept Smith on the roster).

So my recommendation, keeping Alex rather than trading him:

1. cut/retire DJ
2. cut/retire Hali
3. restructure/extend Fisher
4. extend Terrance Mitchell
5. let basically all of our FAs walk: De'Anthony, Fulton, Logan, Sherman, Albert Wilson, Gaines, Colquitt
6. make a few choice re-signings (Santos, KPL, maybe Gaines?)

That'll leave us thin at DL, OL, and OLB -- which I hate. And the best draft pick we'll have in 2018 will be at the very bottom of the 2nd.

But hey, if your QB is balling out, who cares?

Food for thought.
Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:44 AM   #46
__

Can we at least acknowledge the obvious: so long as Smith plays like he did Thursday on a consistent basis, and the defense doesn't suffer any more devastating injuries like it did with Berry -- this is a Super Bowl caliber team.

The way they played on Thursday means that when they are "on" in this regard, only a couple teams can really hang with them, and those teams are all in the AFC. Maybe the Steelers in the NFC, maybe. And if Hightower recovers fully, maybe the Pats, maybe.

But if this team has Super Bowl chops, and until we see Smith turn into a pumpkin for more than a couple games this season, keeping Smith has to be a viable option going forward.

You don't stick with moving on to Mahomes for the sake of the cost it took to get him. You move on to him when he's the best option.

Assuming Smith plays like he did Thursday on a consistent basis (man-sized if), and this team either advances to the Super Bowl or at least shows Super Bowl chops for this season and postseason, then I think we need to say keeping Smith for 2018 is our default position until he gives us serious reasons to think otherwise.
Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:41 AM   #47
Andy Reid Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post
So my wild-ass dream scenario had the Jags not franchising Allen Robinson and the Chiefs making a strong push for him next off-season. It seemed unlikely but possible if Bortles undercut him again.

Well with his injury, I don't see any way Jax can franchise him. It might also give the Chiefs a shot at a bit of a discount. If Smith returns, there's no way they can get Robinson in here even on a reduced deal.

So the calculus becomes more difficult at that point. Granted, they'd also need to see the medicals on him but if you had a shot at bringing in a 25 yr old WR with 1,400 yard skills and the size/speed combo to help Mahomes across the board, it sure would be hard to pass on that chance so you could give Smith another go.

I guess there's always another free agent, but man - young WRs with huge seasons and great measurables don't hit the market that often. A healthy Robinson with a good QB is a genuine WR1, IMO. He can do everything you want from a WR. If he hits the market and the medicals check out, I just don't see how you can keep Smith around - it's time to move forward and he could be a big part of the future here.
I don't think the Chiefs can afford him, and Conley IMO is still a very dangerous weapon tailor made for Mahomes. The guy is probably another 600 yard ish WR with Alex. The problem with Robinson IMO is that Andy likes to spread the ball around everywhere.

I love Allen Robinson, but from what I've seen, priority #1 for the Chiefs financially has to be keeping Mitch Morse and Bennie Logan. I'm all for using the $$ on elite caliber lineman to protect Mahomes and blow up runnng plays. Those are rare players that are difficult to replace and WR has never been a premiere position in Andy'a offense.

IMO, we ideally get a 2nd for Alex, get a CB like Shaq Griffin (Seattle pick this year) and a new slot receiver like Cooper Kupp, then use the rest on the lines.
RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:07 AM   #48
Most Valuable Villain

I don't care if Smith wins the Superbowl with this team. If Reid believes that Mahomes is ready in 2018....then Smith needs to be shown the door.
The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:10 AM   #49
In Search of a Life

Andy is so good schematically, it's tough to spend big money on WRs that are free agents.
O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:23 AM   #50
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunKC View Post
I don't think the Chiefs can afford him, and Conley IMO is still a very dangerous weapon tailor made for Mahomes. The guy is probably another 600 yard ish WR with Alex. The problem with Robinson IMO is that Andy likes to spread the ball around everywhere.

I love Allen Robinson, but from what I've seen, priority #1 for the Chiefs financially has to be keeping Mitch Morse and Bennie Logan. I'm all for using the $$ on elite caliber lineman to protect Mahomes and blow up runnng plays. Those are rare players that are difficult to replace and WR has never been a premiere position in Andy'a offense.

IMO, we ideally get a 2nd for Alex, get a CB like Shaq Griffin (Seattle pick this year) and a new slot receiver like Cooper Kupp, then use the rest on the lines.
Conley isn't a dangerous weapon. He's just too damn long in his strides and slow in/out of his cuts. If Reid can scheme him open, he's fine. But he doesn't create space on his own. He's a glorified 2nd TE in many ways. Honestly, I think DeMarcus Robinson has more potential in this offense than Conley at this point. I hate it, but man those feet just look slow to me.

You may be right - getting another premier WR in here may not be needed. But man, A. Robinson brings an 'all levels' dimension that this team has NEVER had. Well, not since Otis. He can take off downfield, body a guy over the middle or make a quick cut to create room. When healthy, he's a true 'every play' weapon.

Perhaps Reid's ability to scheme provides diminishing returns on that kind of weapon. But it was only when he had TO that he was able to get to the Super Bowl. Sometimes there's no trumping talent.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:30 AM   #51
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post
Conley isn't a dangerous weapon. He's just too damn long in his strides and slow in/out of his cuts. If Reid can scheme him open, he's fine. But he doesn't create space on his own. He's a glorified 2nd TE in many ways. Honestly, I think DeMarcus Robinson has more potential in this offense than Conley at this point. I hate it, but man those feet just look slow to me.

You may be right - getting another premier WR in here may not be needed. But man, A. Robinson brings an 'all levels' dimension that this team has NEVER had. Well, not since Otis. He can take off downfield, body a guy over the middle or make a quick cut to create room. When healthy, he's a true 'every play' weapon.

Perhaps Reid's ability to scheme provides diminishing returns on that kind of weapon. But it was only when he had TO that he was able to get to the Super Bowl. Sometimes there's no trumping talent.
I'm actually more of a Conley fan. Ow that I was a year or two ago . He looks slimmer and a little more agile to me. He's never gonna be the quick catch get open guy but I'd like to see them use him more like Robinson in that last preseason game

Speaking of Robinson I think Demarcus has a bright future in KC.

I wouldn't be upset with jacksonvilles robinson but that money would/could go along way with keeping this core together and or another defensive player
O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:42 AM   #52
Andy Reid Supporter

Yeah I like Allen Robinson, but looking around the league, especially our game, it shows me that we need to keep Mitch Morse and Bennie Logan. I would also add Dee Ford to that list. OL play is worse than I've ever seen it in this league. It really showed up in the Seahawks/Packers game as well as the Bengals game.

Kareem Hunt was great, but LDT and Morse were straight up killing the Patriots. On one play, Morse obliterated TWO defenders opening up a gaping hole for Hunt.

The best thing we can do for Mahomes is keep this OL togethwr with our weapons. I like Conley and Chesson as tall high pointers for Mahomes along with another speed receiver for the slot early in the draft.
RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:47 AM   #53
MVP

I would not want to be Smith walking into Arrowhead on Sunday with that kind of expectations on me. It's going to be fun to watch as I think each week he will gaining confidence. I want to hear "No More Mr. Nice Guy" when the chiefs offense comes on the field.

I will be happy if he scores a TD every quarter and the D or ST gets a TD too. (everyone wants to have fun!)

If he can do that and the D can keep scoring under 21 points we have a winning plan. Expecting 4 passing TD's every Sunday? Not going to happen, but if Alex walks the team into the red zone and gets it in the end zone 4 times each game, either by land, sea, or air, then he will have done his job.

Mahomes ll will learn a lot sitting back and watching Alex11 every Sunday and mastering his own skills during the week.

I bet that if and when Alex11 does leave that Mahomes ll will grateful for the lessons learned from Smith, and vice-versa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Direckshun View Post
Can we at least acknowledge the obvious: so long as Smith plays like he did Thursday on a consistent basis, and the defense doesn't suffer any more devastating injuries like it did with Berry -- this is a Super Bowl caliber team.

The way they played on Thursday means that when they are "on" in this regard, only a couple teams can really hang with them, and those teams are all in the AFC. Maybe the Steelers in the NFC, maybe. And if Hightower recovers fully, maybe the Pats, maybe.

But if this team has Super Bowl chops, and until we see Smith turn into a pumpkin for more than a couple games this season, keeping Smith has to be a viable option going forward.

You don't stick with moving on to Mahomes for the sake of the cost it took to get him. You move on to him when he's the best option.

Assuming Smith plays like he did Thursday on a consistent basis (man-sized if), and this team either advances to the Super Bowl or at least shows Super Bowl chops for this season and postseason, then I think we need to say keeping Smith for 2018 is our default position until he gives us serious reasons to think otherwise.
cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:47 AM   #54
In Search of a Life

He'll be outpriced and with Peters coming up soon, they can't sink that much into the CB spot, but if you could put Trumaine Johnson accross from Peters, I'd much rather spend that money there than on a WR.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:29 AM   #55
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.city View Post
He'll be outpriced and with Peters coming up soon, they can't sink that much into the CB spot, but if you could put Trumaine Johnson accross from Peters, I'd much rather spend that money there than on a WR.
Dude, that's not happening. Johnson is going to get $13+ million per. The Chiefs can't have $26 million or more wrapped up in two CB's, not to mention, Eric Berry's $13 million dollar deal.
DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:29 AM   #56
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud View Post
Dude, that's not happening. Johnson is going to get $13+ million per. The Chiefs can't have $26 million or more wrapped up in two CB's, not to mention, Eric Berry's $13 million dollar deal.
Yeah I said it wouldn't or couldn't happen

Just pointing out that I'd rather spend the money on a corner or pass rusher
Old 09-11-2017, 11:30 AM   #57
Supporter

In terms of receivers, Robinson made a huge leap from Year 1 to Year 2, at least in the preseason.

But outside Ty Hill, the receivers with the most upside, at least from what I've seen, are Marcus Kemp and Jehu Chesson.

If either of those guys make the leap, this receiving corp goes from slightly above average to downright scary.
DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:31 AM   #58
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.city View Post
Yeah I said it wouldn't or couldn't happen

Just pointing out that I'd rather spend the money on a corner or pass rusher
It would be nice but I doubt it happens.

I can't see the Chiefs signing a free agent OLBer to a huge contract. Those rarely, if ever, pan out.

FWIW, Johnson was lights out yesterday in his first game under Wade.

The Rams didn't even have Aaron Donald out there, which means the Rams defense could be scary good.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:32 AM   #59
In Search of a Life

Quote:
In terms of receivers, Robinson made a huge leap from Year 1 to Year 2, at least in the preseason.

But outside Ty Hill, the receivers with the most upside, at least from what I've seen, are Marcus Kemp and Jehu Chesson.

If either of those guys make the leap, this receiving corp goes from slightly above average to downright scary.
They need one of those guys to be a legit dude to really get into the upper echelon.

But I'm not sure that's really needed anyway. 3 or 4 really good players
Old 09-11-2017, 11:33 AM   #60
In Search of a Life

Quote:
It would be nice but I doubt it happens.

I can't see the Chiefs signing a free agent OLBer to a huge contract. Those rarely, if ever, pan out.

FWIW, Johnson was lights out yesterday in his first game under Wade.

The Rams didn't even have Aaron Donald out there, which means the Rams defense could be scary good.
Yeah I figured in Wades system Johnson would be legit: I doubt they let him walk but iirc their cap is out of whack?