Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room

Old 09-21-2017, 10:59 PM  
The Boom Boom Room

KCTV-5 is at an impasse with DirecTV and U-verse

Chiefs fans might want an antenna: KCTV-5 is at an impasse with DirecTV and U-verse

SEPTEMBER 21, 2017 3:29 PM

DirecTV or U-Verse customers who plan on watching the Chiefs take on the Los Angeles Chargers on KCTV-5 on Sunday afternoon might want to have a Plan B.

The local station and the cable TV providers, owned by AT&T, are nearing a deadline on a new contract. If they don’t reach a deal, DirecTV and AT&T’s U-verse will drop KCTV-5 from their offerings on Friday.

That puts the Chiefs game, and everything else people watch on Meredith Corp.-owned KCTV-5, in jeopardy.

The issue is how much the local station wants — and the cable provider is willing to pay — for the right to retransmit programming. KCTV-5 is a CBS affiliate, which means it gets to carry the NFL game. No KCTV-5, no game.

We don’t know the details of the negotiations, but both sides are in spin mode.

“The rates that we are asking for from AT&T and DirecTV are far less than AT&T and DirecTV pay for niche cable networks from New York and Los Angeles that have lower viewership than our stations in this local market,” says a statement posted on KCTV’s website.

The station says it needs to be adequately compensated to produce local programming, such as news. It reminds viewers that AT&T and DirecTV charge customers for local programming on their monthly bill.

DirecTV has this to say on its website:

“Fewer people watch shows on local stations than ever before, but broadcasters continue to demand everyone pay more to get the few shows they do watch,” the statement said.

“When contract disputes arise over station owners’ unnecessary increases in what you should pay for these free over-the-air stations, DirecTV will never remove them from your lineup. Period. Station owners may try to avoid their responsibilities to you, but make no mistake: the station owners are the only ones who can decide to take away your local stations.”

Such standoffs are not unusual. The current one is also affecting Meredith-owned local stations in other cities, such as Atlanta and Nashville.

In 2012, KCTV-5 and Time Warner Cable went to the brink before reaching a decision that avoided the local station and its sister KSMO from going dark on that cable provider. At the same time, an impasse between Time Warner and KMBC-TV caused that station and its sisters to go dark for nearly 10 days.

As current negotiations continue, KCTV-5 reminds viewers they can always watch its programs for free with an antenna.
Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:39 PM   #31

So did this get worked out? If not Google Fiber should ramp up for a full blitzkrieg of the KC market.
wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:49 AM   #32
Wasted away again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazu View Post
So did this get worked out? If not Google Fiber should ramp up for a full blitzkrieg of the KC market.
"If they don’t reach a deal, DirecTV and AT&T’s U-verse will drop KCTV-5 from their offerings on Friday."

It's still available for me this morning, so maybe they settled?
Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:47 AM   #33
Cast Iron Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DartMod View Post
"If they don’t reach a deal, DirecTV and AT&T’s U-verse will drop KCTV-5 from their offerings on Friday."

Likely just an extension to continue negotiations.
Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:26 AM   #34
Rookie

This has been going on for about a year now up here. My dad has direct TV but doesn't get the local channel. So far I've been able to stream any games at his house for him but it is annoying.
A Salt Weapon threw an interception on a screen pass.A Salt Weapon threw an interception on a screen pass.A Salt Weapon threw an interception on a screen pass.A Salt Weapon threw an interception on a screen pass.A Salt Weapon threw an interception on a screen pass.A Salt Weapon threw an interception on a screen pass.A Salt Weapon threw an interception on a screen pass.A Salt Weapon threw an interception on a screen pass.A Salt Weapon threw an interception on a screen pass.A Salt Weapon threw an interception on a screen pass.A Salt Weapon threw an interception on a screen pass.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:38 AM   #35
Ultrabanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DartMod View Post

Yeah, I'm golden as well. I'm expecting the shit to cut out about 11:30 tomorrow morning though for the **** of it.
Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:58 AM   #36
Cast Iron Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
Yeah, I'm golden as well. I'm expecting the shit to cut out about 11:30 tomorrow morning though for the **** of it.

Unlikely. With the game on CBS and the attached revenue, I'm sure Meredith is doing everything they possibly can for an extension. If it's still on this morning, they got an extension. Probably for a few days. That's pretty standard.
Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-23-2017, 11:39 AM   #37
The pizza king of kansas

God bless the internet. No cable no problem.
big nasty kcnut is obviously part of the inner Circle.big nasty kcnut is obviously part of the inner Circle.big nasty kcnut is obviously part of the inner Circle.big nasty kcnut is obviously part of the inner Circle.big nasty kcnut is obviously part of the inner Circle.big nasty kcnut is obviously part of the inner Circle.big nasty kcnut is obviously part of the inner Circle.big nasty kcnut is obviously part of the inner Circle.big nasty kcnut is obviously part of the inner Circle.big nasty kcnut is obviously part of the inner Circle.big nasty kcnut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:18 PM   #38
Ain't no relax!

The deal is done.

Impasse between KCTV-5, AT&T over

The impasse between a Kansas City television station and AT&T is over and that’s great news for Kansas City Chiefs fans.

Contract negotiations had stalled between KCTV-5 and AT&T and the impasse threatened to drop KCTV-5 from DirecTV and AT&T’s U-verse. The cable TV providers are owned by AT&T.

Friday was the deadline for a new contract. Officials with Meredith Corp.-owned KCTV-5 declined to comment on the agreement, as did a spokesman for AT&T.
Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:46 PM   #39
Ultrabanned

Well, that's just spectacular. I still feel like a dipshit for reneweing my contract w/ DTV at $89/month v. just buying an antenna and working the other shit out.

**** all of these cable companies, guess I'll need to actually give enough of a shit next May to get out.
Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.