Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room > Media Center
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 10-21-2016, 04:17 PM  
Supporter

Solo: A Star Wars Story 2018 Spoiler Thread

http://www.starwars.com/news/donald-...and-alone-film

Donald Glover is officially a young Lando Calrissian!

Lucasfilm announced today that Donald Glover, an acclaimed actor, award-winning writer, and Grammy-nominated artist, will be playing the part of Lando Calrissian in the still-untitled Han Solo Star Wars film, helmed by directors Phil Lord and Christopher Miller. Glover will join Alden Ehrenreich — previously cast as Han Solo — in bringing two iconic Star Wars characters back to the big screen, but at a time in their lives previously unexplored. This new film depicts Lando in his formative years as a scoundrel on the rise in the galaxy’s underworld — years before the events involving Han, Leia, and Darth Vader in The Empire Strikes Back and his rise to Rebel hero in Return of the Jedi.

“We’re so lucky to have an artist as talented as Donald join us,” said Lord and Miller. “These are big shoes to fill, and an even bigger cape, and this one fits him perfectly, which will save us money on alterations. Also, we’d like to publicly apologize to Donald for ruining Comic-Con for him forever.”

Glover is best known for creating and starring in the critically acclaimed FX series Atlanta (which had the highest premiere numbers for any basic cable comedy show since 2013), as well as for starring in four seasons of the show Community, and for his Grammy-nominated album Because the Internet, performed under the name Childish Gambino. In addition, Glover appeared in the Academy Award-nominated The Martian, and will be seen in the upcoming Spider-Man: Homecoming.

The untitled Han Solo movie is set for release in 2018.

Last edited by DaneMcCloud; 02-05-2018 at 10:52 AM..
DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-09-2018, 04:43 PM   #751
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn View Post
Can you give me some examples of how they insulted the fan base?
They stated/implied most of the dislike exists because the detractors are sexist/racist etc.
MarkDavis'Haircut is obviously part of the inner Circle.MarkDavis'Haircut is obviously part of the inner Circle.MarkDavis'Haircut is obviously part of the inner Circle.MarkDavis'Haircut is obviously part of the inner Circle.MarkDavis'Haircut is obviously part of the inner Circle.MarkDavis'Haircut is obviously part of the inner Circle.MarkDavis'Haircut is obviously part of the inner Circle.MarkDavis'Haircut is obviously part of the inner Circle.MarkDavis'Haircut is obviously part of the inner Circle.MarkDavis'Haircut is obviously part of the inner Circle.MarkDavis'Haircut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-09-2018, 06:57 PM   #752
Supporter

Wait, Lando swings both ways?

notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-09-2018, 08:07 PM   #753
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Passin' By View Post
You can't really do that if you want to get to the heart of the problems with the recent Star Wars movies. The suck is all intertwined.
We can't have as honest conversation then.
Red Brooklyn Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Red Brooklyn Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Red Brooklyn Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Red Brooklyn Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Red Brooklyn Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Red Brooklyn Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Red Brooklyn Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Red Brooklyn Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Red Brooklyn Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Red Brooklyn Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Red Brooklyn Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 06-09-2018, 08:09 PM   #754
Veteran

I've read up on the "they insulted the fans" stiff 2 and... yikes!
Red Brooklyn Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Red Brooklyn Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Red Brooklyn Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Red Brooklyn Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Red Brooklyn Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Red Brooklyn Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Red Brooklyn Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Red Brooklyn Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Red Brooklyn Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Red Brooklyn Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Red Brooklyn Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 06-09-2018, 08:36 PM   #755
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Got it.

There's no way to have an intelligent conversation about this here. No worries.
I’ll give it a shot:

TLJ May be a good movie — happy to concede that. What it isn’t is a good Star Wars movie.

There are way too many structural and specific issues with the film that get in the way of most Star Wars fans enjoying it. It’s been combed thru extensively, so no need to do it again, but the lack of any well thought out narrative arc for a trilogy is the biggest and most glaring issue, followed by a depiction of characters that is inconsistent with the earlier movies. Things happen in TLJ that should NEVER have happened in a Star Wars movie. And I’m putting aside the story decisions (e.g. Luke is a grumpy outcast) that some don’t like because they preferred to see something else happen. I could give you 5-10 ideas that would have made TLJ a much better Star Wars film and I think that gets to the heart of the problem: Namely that KK wants to create a franchise that appeals to non-Star Wars fans and/or she doesn’t understand the basic elements of what must be in a Star Wars film.

Maybe JJ rescues the trilogy, but Rian went so far out of his way to simultaneously crap on the legacy of the series while ending every interesting story thread introduced in TFA. I’m not exactly sure what I’m supposed to be interested in about Ep IX — which is part of the reason most fans aren’t really interested in what happens next.

I still have my suspicions that KK’s real goal was to reset the franchise in a way that would appeal to markets that never really got Star Wars (insert: map of China), but at the very least she’s guilty of creating a trilogy that has no continuity (if RJ is to be believed) and she gave over iconic characters to a writer-director who didn’t understand what he was working with.
RINGLEADER has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.RINGLEADER has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.RINGLEADER has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.RINGLEADER has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.RINGLEADER has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.RINGLEADER has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.RINGLEADER has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.RINGLEADER has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.RINGLEADER has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.RINGLEADER has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.RINGLEADER has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:06 AM   #756
Veteran

Thank you for the thoughtful reply, Ringleader. I appreciate it.

Personally, I suspect Kathleen and Lucasfilm are thinking more about a way forward without a reliance on "The Big Three" (Luke, Leia, Han) more than crafting stories that appeal to non-fans. But I don't know the woman so that's just my own take.

I think The Last Jedi is pure Star Wars. All the elements that make a Star Wars movie are there in spades. Perhaps we value different elements, or prioritize the those Star Wars elements differently. Which is obviously going to happen when dealing with a subjective medium.

Rian took huge risks and I appreciate those risks. He had to know this kind of outspoken opposition was possible; ditto Kathleen Kennedy. But, I for one, would rather have artists freely work to create their own vision than have a homogenized, water-downed, predictable, and samey product. But, again, that's just subjective preference.

I'm sorry you guys didn't like the movie. I'm sure you are (or were) big fans that wanted a great movie. Maybe, just like The Empire Strikes Back, this movie will grow on fans. Empire wasn't as well received as Star Wars back in the day -- it even had a big dip at the box office, just like TLJ. Maybe Episode 9 gives a greater context to The Last Jedi and we can all look back and appreciate it.

Or maybe it is what it is, and some will never like it. So be it. That's just the way it goes with art. I just hope Lucasfilm doesn't go into the business of listening to the angriest and most vile pockets of the "fanbase." No artist, no franchise owes the fans anything. Fans shouldn't be calling the shots. And either way, it's far better to let your wallet speak than to bash, insult, and bully people on the internet (not saying you're doing that, just speaking to the Kelly Marie Tran and similar issues).

Anyway, I really appreciate the response. Thank you.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:21 AM   #757
MVP

The Kelly Marie Tran situation is awful. Stupid keyboard warriors acting tough.
MarkDavis'Haircut is obviously part of the inner Circle.MarkDavis'Haircut is obviously part of the inner Circle.MarkDavis'Haircut is obviously part of the inner Circle.MarkDavis'Haircut is obviously part of the inner Circle.MarkDavis'Haircut is obviously part of the inner Circle.MarkDavis'Haircut is obviously part of the inner Circle.MarkDavis'Haircut is obviously part of the inner Circle.MarkDavis'Haircut is obviously part of the inner Circle.MarkDavis'Haircut is obviously part of the inner Circle.MarkDavis'Haircut is obviously part of the inner Circle.MarkDavis'Haircut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-10-2018, 01:44 PM   #758
I'll be back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr4MVP View Post
The Kelly Marie Tran situation is awful. Stupid keyboard warriors acting tough.
It's one of the worst bits of casting I've ever seen.

She's a short, average-looking, kinda chubby girl.

So cast her in an adventurous role with a side of romance! Ignore the fact that she isn't fit or good looking.

Her acting wasn't anything to write home about either.

****ing stupid, and her ethnicity doesn't enter into it. You never saw people complaining about Lucy Liu.
Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-10-2018, 04:11 PM   #759
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS

They should have switched her with the sister who died. At least she was attractive. That would have helped. Not a lot, since the whole plot line involving her and Jar Jar Fin was reeruned, but at least she would have been easy on the eyes.
Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-10-2018, 06:09 PM   #760
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Thank you for the thoughtful reply, Ringleader. I appreciate it.

Personally, I suspect Kathleen and Lucasfilm are thinking more about a way forward without a reliance on "The Big Three" (Luke, Leia, Han) more than crafting stories that appeal to non-fans. But I don't know the woman so that's just my own take.

I think The Last Jedi is pure Star Wars. All the elements that make a Star Wars movie are there in spades. Perhaps we value different elements, or prioritize the those Star Wars elements differently. Which is obviously going to happen when dealing with a subjective medium.

Rian took huge risks and I appreciate those risks. He had to know this kind of outspoken opposition was possible; ditto Kathleen Kennedy. But, I for one, would rather have artists freely work to create their own vision than have a homogenized, water-downed, predictable, and samey product. But, again, that's just subjective preference.

I'm sorry you guys didn't like the movie. I'm sure you are (or were) big fans that wanted a great movie. Maybe, just like The Empire Strikes Back, this movie will grow on fans. Empire wasn't as well received as Star Wars back in the day -- it even had a big dip at the box office, just like TLJ. Maybe Episode 9 gives a greater context to The Last Jedi and we can all look back and appreciate it.

Or maybe it is what it is, and some will never like it. So be it. That's just the way it goes with art. I just hope Lucasfilm doesn't go into the business of listening to the angriest and most vile pockets of the "fanbase." No artist, no franchise owes the fans anything. Fans shouldn't be calling the shots. And either way, it's far better to let your wallet speak than to bash, insult, and bully people on the internet (not saying you're doing that, just speaking to the Kelly Marie Tran and similar issues).

Anyway, I really appreciate the response. Thank you.
Taking huge risks doesn’t automatically translate into “good.”

I know you’re not saying that exactly, but I hear that frequently as the implied reason people should give Rian a pass. The problems with the movie are numerous and could have been mitigated by a better director.

The fact that he is now calling people who don’t like his movie names and implying they must be motivated by politics rather than wanting a good film that isn’t filled with stupidness is just insulting. The guy is full of himself and frankly, if Disney goes forward with his movies, I (and many others) won’t be watching them.
RINGLEADER has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.RINGLEADER has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.RINGLEADER has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.RINGLEADER has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.RINGLEADER has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.RINGLEADER has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.RINGLEADER has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.RINGLEADER has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.RINGLEADER has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.RINGLEADER has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.RINGLEADER has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.
Old 06-10-2018, 06:10 PM   #761
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties View Post
It's one of the worst bits of casting I've ever seen.

She's a short, average-looking, kinda chubby girl.

So cast her in an adventurous role with a side of romance! Ignore the fact that she isn't fit or good looking.

Her acting wasn't anything to write home about either.

****ing stupid, and her ethnicity doesn't enter into it. You never saw people complaining about Lucy Liu.
Perfectly said.
Old 06-11-2018, 04:00 AM   #762
Cheaterlover*

TFA was annoying because it was a carbon copy of “A New Hope”. But at least it was a well made film. I don’t know what the **** TLJ was. From the moment he threw away his lightsaber the whole thing went downhill. The stupid slow escape chase (like, why couldn’t they just ****ing hyperspace a mile ahead and then turn around and kill them all?). Leia floating in space. Skywalker astral projecting. Slapping on things they thought needed to be in the film without good reason—“Hey, let’s have a chubby Asian chick to represent all the minorities and non-skinny people! Hey, let’s throw in tiny chubby alien penguins because there has to be some sort of alien animal cute thing!” Horrible from start to finish and as pointless as “Attack of the Clones”.
JD10367 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.JD10367 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.JD10367 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.JD10367 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.JD10367 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.JD10367 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.JD10367 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.JD10367 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.JD10367 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.JD10367 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.JD10367 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:04 AM   #763
The Beast Inside Your Head

Solo was absolutely a litmus test to see how much damage was done by TLJ. If this came out before the TLJ this thing makes bank. TLJ destroyed all excitement a lot of people had about the franchise and I am not sure how salvageable it is at this point.
BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:18 AM   #764
The Boom Boom Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy View Post
Solo was absolutely a litmus test to see how much damage was done by TLJ. If this came out before the TLJ this thing makes bank. TLJ destroyed all excitement a lot of people had about the franchise and I am not sure how salvageable it is at this point.
This, the only way to save the continuity is a total retcon, because my interest in franchise is gone.

Last edited by Tribal Warfare; 06-11-2018 at 10:49 AM..
Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:50 AM   #765
Buddy Christ is a Chiefs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare View Post
This, the only way to save it is a total retcon, because my interest in franchise is gone.
I am done with the entire "The Force is Female" bs too.

BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.