Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 09-03-2006, 02:06 PM  
Feeling Victorian

These Huskers look like they're for real

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansas...s/15428390.htm

These Huskers look like they're for real
By BLAIR KERKHOFF
The Kansas City Star

LINCOLN, Neb. | Your ticket said Section 36-A, only you’d never seen a 36-A at Memorial Stadium until the stadium addition was unveiled.

You waited for the Cornhuskers to emerge from their tunnel walk that takes them under the south end zone. Only Nebraska entered the field through the North end zone.

But most disorienting Saturday was the way the Cornhuskers played.

They were complete and dominating and sent their fans home feeling positively nostalgic after smacking around Louisiana Tech 49-10 before a crowd of 85,181 that included the extra sections and 6,000 more seats.

“We felt like if everybody did their job, we could score every time,” Nebraska wide receiver Nate Swift said.

When was the last time anybody in Husker red offered such confident tones? Not in the coach Bill Callahan era.

For good reason. Callahan campaigned for the Nebraska job on sophisticated offense. Option was dead. The NFL/West Coast spread was the only way to attract the top recruits. The Huskers bought in, and for nearly two years they waited for the update.

Only at the end of last season, in victories over Colorado and Michigan, did things start to take shape.

But another offseason of quarterback Zac Taylor working with offensive coordinator Jay Norvell meant more rough edges had been smoothed out.

It looked like same old, same old after three series. Nebraska’s first three drives ended in Louisiana Tech territory without a score. On the third possession, the Huskers took over at the 15 and failed on a fourth and 2. Ugh.

Then, four straight touchdowns on drives of 65 yards and longer. After a punt and a fumble, Nebraska scored three more times.

This was the offense advertised at Callahan’s introductory news conference three years ago. Wonderful balance — 332 yards passing and 252 rushing. Four different running backs making noise. Wide receivers snaring deep outs and tight ends catching touchdown passes.

Get this. No Nebraska tight end had caught a scoring pass since the second game of Callahan’s first season. Saturday, four different tight ends scored.

The first one went to Matt Herian, who clinched comeback player of the year just by walking on the field. He had missed all of last year and half of the 2004 season recovering from a broken leg.

It was on Herian’s score that Taylor knew things would start turning toward the Huskers.

“I think their defense was still in the huddle,” Taylor said. “They were not ready.”

Not ready?

“Yeah, I don’t know what they were doing.”

Maybe. Nobody else seemed to pick up on that. But that’s how the game started to look to Taylor. The offense was in a groove and the defense looks confused.

Compare that to last year’s opening bid.

Nebraska never looked comfortable in beating Division I-AA Maine. The offense scored two touchdowns in a victory over Wake Forest, one in a victory over Pittsburgh.

The Huskers averaged about 270 total yards in those games.

“Last year I came in just worried about not making mistakes,” Taylor said. “This time I came in knowing I can make plays.”

Here’s the quality-of-opponent qualifier. Louisiana Tech won’t play in a BCS bowl. But the Bulldogs won seven games last season and thumped Fresno State.

They replaced nine defensive starters but were picked to finish in the middle of the Western Athletic Conference.

In other words, they weren’t Murray State. That opponent comes next week for the Cornhuskers in Nicholls State.

No, this was a rare good first impression for a Big 12 North team. Earlier in the day, the final from Boulder arrived — Montana State 19, Colorado 10. Purge any thoughts of the Buffaloes contending.

Iowa State was underwhelming against Toledo two days earlier. We’ll see about the others when they play Division I-A competition.

Entering college football’s first weekend, Nebraska was the North favorite, and what happened in Lincoln on Saturday only strengthened that prediction.
To reach Blair Kerkhoff, college sports reporter for The Star, call (816) 234-4730 or send e-mail to bkerkhoff@kcstar.com.

Just got back this morning.
Good opening game. The offense got off to a slow start but then it was off to the races. I was a little dissapointed in the Blackshirts and the secondary took another hit yesterday.
I'm not saying their back but their well on their way to being a elite team again.
alanm is obviously part of the inner Circle.alanm is obviously part of the inner Circle.alanm is obviously part of the inner Circle.alanm is obviously part of the inner Circle.alanm is obviously part of the inner Circle.alanm is obviously part of the inner Circle.alanm is obviously part of the inner Circle.alanm is obviously part of the inner Circle.alanm is obviously part of the inner Circle.alanm is obviously part of the inner Circle.alanm is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-03-2006, 03:02 PM   #31
Feeling Victorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecca
That dudes a Miami fan......he hates USC.
Well, you're on your own then.
I do expect to see USC about a 21 pt favorite though.
alanm is obviously part of the inner Circle.alanm is obviously part of the inner Circle.alanm is obviously part of the inner Circle.alanm is obviously part of the inner Circle.alanm is obviously part of the inner Circle.alanm is obviously part of the inner Circle.alanm is obviously part of the inner Circle.alanm is obviously part of the inner Circle.alanm is obviously part of the inner Circle.alanm is obviously part of the inner Circle.alanm is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-03-2006, 03:04 PM   #32
Supporter

I hope the Cornholers lose every game 77-0. I can't believe you guys are crowing about beating a nobody.
Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.
Old 09-03-2006, 03:06 PM   #33
The Maintenance Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Towne
I hope the Cornholers lose every game 77-0. I can't believe you guys are crowing about beating a nobody.
See what I mean, Mecca?
Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-03-2006, 03:08 PM   #34
Feeling Victorian

Quote:
Not crowing about nothing. We expected to blow them out and we did. Oklahoma may have issues though.
Old 09-03-2006, 03:08 PM   #35
Hockey Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugeater
See what I mean, Mecca?
Yea I hear ya, When I was growing up I never liked Nebraska because I didn't and still don't like watching teams that do nothing but run the option.
Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-03-2006, 03:09 PM   #36
oxymoron

They're about as "for real" as any of the other "big" 12 north squads. They'll look good against poor division 1 teams and 1-aa squads. Teams from the top of any legitimate power conference will beat them 9 times out of 10.
keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-03-2006, 03:10 PM   #37
When a nightmare becomes real

Since I have no hope of garnering any pleasure from K-States football season this year, it will be fun to see the Husker fans cry after they realize they hired a failure of a coach.
Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.
Old 09-03-2006, 03:10 PM   #38
Feeling Victorian

BTW who was it that Oklahoma had to come from behind to win yesterday?
Old 09-03-2006, 03:13 PM   #39
Feeling Victorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saulbadguy
Since I have no hope of garnering any pleasure from K-States football season this year, it will be fun to see the Husker fans cry after they realize they hired a failure of a coach.
Oh the irony.
Old 09-03-2006, 03:15 PM   #40
The Maintenance Guy

Quote:
You may be waiting a while....
Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-03-2006, 03:16 PM   #41
Hockey Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanm
BTW who was it that Oklahoma had to come from behind to win yesterday?
That team looks horrendous.......they're gonna suck really hard when Peterson leaves.
Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-03-2006, 03:17 PM   #42
Supporter

Quote:
I read in the Tulsa World that Callahan called Nebraska rather than the other way around. Hahahahahahahahaha.
Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.
Old 09-03-2006, 03:17 PM   #43
The Maintenance Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecca
Yea I hear ya, When I was growing up I never liked Nebraska because I didn't and still don't like watching teams that do nothing but run the option.
Um...in case you missed it, they're not running the option anymore.
Old 09-03-2006, 03:19 PM   #44
The Maintenance Guy

Quote:
I read in the Tulsa World that Callahan called Nebraska rather than the other way around. Hahahahahahahahaha.
What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?
Old 09-03-2006, 03:19 PM   #45
When a nightmare becomes real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugeater
You may be waiting a while....
Callahan has already proven himself a joke. It is just a matter of time.
Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.