Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 02-02-2009, 09:59 AM  
Mahomes: We Are All Witnesses

And so the "Matt Cassel to KC" Rumors Begin...

As if they hadn't started already...

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/f...&position=also

Matt Cassel draws interest

TAMPA - They might not have been one of the two Super Bowl participants last night, but the Patriots [team stats] still generated a lot of talk on Radio Row during the week.

With Matt Cassel making the rounds, there was plenty of speculation on how much interest he would draw should the Pats apply the franchise tag and then trade him.

The pundits’ top pick to land Cassel in that scenario is Kansas City. Obviously, the Scott Pioli factor weighs heavily in that choice, with the Pats former vice president of player personnel now calling the shots for the Chiefs.

“I’d really look at Pioli down there in Kansas City. Why wouldn’t he want him?” Sirius NFL radio analyst Jim Miller said. “He knows what the kid is capable of doing. So I think he’d be on their radar.”

Miller, like most analysts, doesn’t see the crop of quarterbacks in this year’s NFL Draft as particularly appealing. That boosts the draw for Cassel, especially if Pioli decides he’s not satisfied with the collection of QBs he inherited after taking over the job.

“I don’t think this is a strong quarterback draft. Everybody is saying Matthew Stafford of Georgia and Mark Sanchez of USC are going to go in the Top 10. I don’t believe that,” Miller said. “I don’t think those guys are ready. And I don’t think you’ll see the type of success guys like Matt Ryan or Joe Flacco had. They just haven’t played enough. So I can’t see teams wanting them.

“But if Kansas (City) were to make that deal, that’s their Matt Ryan. That’s their Joe Flacco. Unlike a Sanchez, for instance, they know he’s playing at a starter’s level. So to them, I think it’d be worth it to do. They’d get their starting quarterback, they know what he’s capable of doing, and they’ve seen him win games at the NFL level.”

Other experts, meanwhile, aren’t sure Pioli would want to deal with his former boss right out of the gate.

Some other teams figuring to make a pitch for Cassel include the New York Jets, Detroit, Minnesota, San Francisco, Carolina, Tampa Bay and Chicago.

As for what Cassel would land in a trade, there were differing opinions. Miller, for one, thought he would cost a second-round draft choice.

The decision to trade or keep Cassel will ultimately depend on Tom Brady [stats]’s health. While reports have him on target to play in the season opener, he still has a few hurdles to clear before that point following reconstructive surgery on his left knee and a subsequent staph infection.

“I think a lot is going to depend on where Kevin O’Connell is in his development. If they feel they can move Matt to benefit their team, they’ll do it,” said Miller, a one-time Pats backup quarterback. “It’s rolling the dice on Tom and whether he’s healthy, and two, can they do it with Kevin O’Connell? The question they have to ask is if O’Connell is as capable of what they have in Matt Cassel?”
FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:41 PM   #256
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 View Post
I don't have to go anywhere, Frankie.

You embarrass yourself on your own, in this dimension.

Sure, the most prolific offense of the decade was a fluke.

Please, go and find someone that agrees with you, and I'll laugh at him too.
I can't figure out what part of "partially" is so hard to understand. As for the rest of my statement, are you naive and unobservant enough not to figure out that NFL defenses would have devised new ways to slow down that O? I submit that even with Brady, this year's NE would not have been nearly as prolific as the previous year's. It's you guys who think you are football gods and call the rest of us names just because we don't agree with your sacred POVs who are immature and embarrassing. Growing up is prescribed here. Then maybe you can engage in exchange of ideas without relying on rudeness.
Frankie is too fat/Omaha.Frankie is too fat/Omaha.Frankie is too fat/Omaha.Frankie is too fat/Omaha.Frankie is too fat/Omaha.Frankie is too fat/Omaha.Frankie is too fat/Omaha.Frankie is too fat/Omaha.Frankie is too fat/Omaha.Frankie is too fat/Omaha.Frankie is too fat/Omaha.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:44 PM   #257
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustShack View Post
I'll take a QB with the potential to be great instead of a serviceable starter. We already have Thigpen, why the hell would we wan't Cassel?
Just playing devil's advocate: How are you so damn sure that Cassel's development did not start last year. Can you say as a clear certainty that he has reached his ceiling?
Frankie is too fat/Omaha.Frankie is too fat/Omaha.Frankie is too fat/Omaha.Frankie is too fat/Omaha.Frankie is too fat/Omaha.Frankie is too fat/Omaha.Frankie is too fat/Omaha.Frankie is too fat/Omaha.Frankie is too fat/Omaha.Frankie is too fat/Omaha.Frankie is too fat/Omaha.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:46 PM   #258
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts View Post
Totally. Honestly though, for me I wouldn't want him and the Pats first round pick for our 7th. ....
Wo wo wo, hold on there Mr. Flopnuts. Please say you are grossly exaggerating.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:46 PM   #259
The Insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP View Post
I agree with your self-diagnosed football illiteracy.
ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:49 PM   #260
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by billay View Post
Keep trying to peigon hole the debate cause you have nothing of substance to offer, buddy.
bu, but don't you know that Bowe is among the worst WRs ever, because (1) he plays for KC, and (2)he was drafted by Herm? Get with the program.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:57 PM   #261
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
Just playing devil's advocate: How are you so damn sure that Cassel's development did not start last year. Can you say as a clear certainty that he has reached his ceiling?
Frankie, that's the point I don't get either. People constantly talk about how difficult the QB position is, and yet they talk about how easy it should be for any QB to throw to Moss and Welker (but strange that they don't mention that the Pats also were banged-up all year on the o-line and that Maroney was out for the season). People are disappointed when he doesn't eclipse 4,000+ yards in his first season, and then expect that he's reached his ceiling.

That's beyond damn good for a player who hadn't started a single game since high school.

I'll admit that Cassell intrigues me, at the right price. The question is whether Pioli thinks he has even more upside--I don't know the answer to that, but I don't see why he wouldn't.
chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:00 PM   #262
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecca View Post
If they trade the #3 pick for Cassell I don't care who the GM is I am going to go nuts.
That I agree with.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:05 PM   #263
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecca View Post
Alot of people are tired of dealing with this "i don't want a QB" rhetoric that is frequently spewed by this fan base.

I have never seen a fan base that hates QB's as much as this one does.
We don't. But when you have the 3rd pick in the draft you HAVE to take the closest player to a sure thing that you can. If such a player is in an area of roster strength then you do your best to trade down and get extra picks. Then you can go after who you want who may not have been risky at the 3rd pick. I'm with you on Sanchez. In my book, barring a Brady-like sleeper, he is the best QB of this draft. But I am uneasy about using the 3rd pick on him. I would love it if we could trade down and still get him in the 8-12 range.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:09 PM   #264
Banned

Quote:
I agree with your self-diagnosed football illiteracy.
Hey Dan. Be a man and tell us in total honesty where you stood in the Matt Schaub debate that was raging here a few years ago.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:10 PM   #265
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry View Post
You too. See above.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:12 PM   #266
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 View Post
I'll admit that Cassell intrigues me, at the right price. The question is whether Pioli thinks he has even more upside--I don't know the answer to that, but I don't see why he wouldn't.
That where I am with the issue too. Rep.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:12 PM   #267
Beloved & Awesome CP Celebrity

Quote:
Hey Dan. Be a man and tell us in total honesty where you stood in the Matt Schaub debate that was raging here a few years ago.
The name's not Dan. I never got involved with any Schaub discussion.
DaKCMan AP has disabled reputation
Old 02-02-2009, 10:27 PM   #268
**** That Noise

Quote:
Moving to KC and playing with much much much lesser talent is not going to = a better year for him. He will look like Damon Huard behind this line. Sure if he stays with the Patriots he COULD get better, he could just as easily get worse like Derrick Anderson. It is very hard to fail when you are surrounded by the talent he was.
RustShack 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliRustShack 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliRustShack 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliRustShack 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliRustShack 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliRustShack 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliRustShack 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliRustShack 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliRustShack 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliRustShack 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliRustShack 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
Old 02-02-2009, 10:30 PM   #269
Banned

Quote:
The name's not Dan.
My bad. I have always read your userid as DanKCMan.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:54 PM   #270
The Insider

Quote:
You too. See above.
Never got involved with him to the Chiefs. Said that the Falcons made a mistake by not keeping him though for Vick.
ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.