Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 07-03-2015, 03:48 PM  
Has a particular set of skills

What are you Smoking/Grilling/BBQ'ing this weekend?

What are you up to this weekend?

I finally gave up on my smoker and decided to get a new smoker. I went with a bigger model but less tech. Yes, its a cheater electric smoker. My 3rd one. I need more space to cook, I don't need help getting my smoke and temp right.

I've also never used injection for flavor except for pork butt or other big cuts of meat. I decided to give it a try. I developed my own injection. Basically like the other recipes you have out on the internet but I'm putting the rub in the injection and using sirracchi.

Full results not in yet but my son and I think its the best sausage we have ever had.

No sauce. Marinated the meat overnight. Injected the meat. Slow cooked the ribs and chicken. Baste it with a combo of butter and apple juice. Using a combination of Apple, Mesquite, Cherry and Hickory wood.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11539678_10205518593098849_7496287094654554585_n.jpg
Views:	6599
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	110157   Click image for larger version

Name:	11204917_10205518655060398_84193330748835473_n.jpg
Views:	6170
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	110158   Click image for larger version

Name:	11403311_10205518654740390_5737794009802538289_n.jpg
Views:	6560
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	110159   Click image for larger version

Name:	11060263_10205518594938895_5571454432064515726_n.jpg
Views:	6470
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	110160  
BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-08-2017, 03:06 PM   #616
Cast Iron Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post
I at least presume you mean 'per side'. 2-3 minutes on a hot grill will give you raw hamburgers. I take mine off at 140 and that's generally in the 8-10 minute total range (and I don't adhere to the 'flip once' school; I do about 2 minutes and flip; 3-4 flips total).

Yes, per side. And of course, this also is dependent on the size of your patty. I usually do 6 oz. patties in a 4.5" ring. I do only flip once, but don't believe it matters. I don't typically temp my burgers, but based on their doneness, I'm pulling from the heat around 130.
Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-08-2017, 03:07 PM   #617
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie View Post
I guess I should have been clear. I season right before going on the grill. Anything else is bad form.
I found a cool trick for steaks and burgers that I think I buy into. Anything I want a hard sear on, I'll put in the fridge for maybe 30-40 minutes before I put them on the grill. The effect of the condenser and evaporator in the refrigeration cycle helps draw off excess moisture from the outside even more thoroughly than a simple paper towel pat-down will and doesn't smush out any extra moisture.

So with burgers I make my patties, lay 'em on a cookie sheet on paper towels, then leave them in the fridge for just a bit while I get my coals lit, spread and steady. Then I throw on the salt and pepper and straight to grill.

Steaks are so firm that it's less useful and a simple paper towel pat is probably good enough, but I really liked the effect on burgers.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-08-2017, 03:08 PM   #618
Cast Iron Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inmem58 View Post
Shits not that serious

This cheap ass AcuRite thermometer was only 2 degrees off from the Maverick, I've had it for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thermapen isn't about the accuracy. Most thermometers are accurate enough. Thermapen is all about speed. They get an accurate temp in less than 3 seconds. Most others are 10+.
Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-08-2017, 03:08 PM   #619
MVP

Quote:
Shits not that serious

This cheap ass AcuRite thermometer was only 2 degrees off from the Maverick, I've had it for years.

I agree. I've had this one for over a year and it's still within 1 degree in boiling water.

https://www.harborfreight.com/instan...ter-95382.html
Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.
Old 07-08-2017, 03:12 PM   #620
Baba Ganoush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! View Post
Thermapen isn't about the accuracy. Most thermometers are accurate enough. Thermapen is all about speed. They get an accurate temp in less than 3 seconds. Most others are 10+.
My AcuRite is literally 5-7 seconds and it cost $10. Spending $180 to make it go 4-5 second faster is absurd, but if you have money to spend by all means.
In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-08-2017, 03:21 PM   #621
Supporter

I have an Ivation wireless temp monitor and a Thermopro wireless monitor.

Do you guys not trust the meat probe temps? Is that why you use thermopens?
notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-08-2017, 03:26 PM   #622
Baba Ganoush

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious View Post
I have an Ivation wireless temp monitor and a Thermopro wireless monitor.

Do you guys not trust the meat probe temps? Is that why you use thermopens?
I don't see a point in a thermopen if you're using wireless. I'll prolly never use my AcuRite again since I just paid for this Maverick.
In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-08-2017, 03:27 PM   #623
Cast Iron Jedi

Quote:
My AcuRite is literally 5-7 seconds and it cost $10. Spending $180 to make it go 4-5 second faster is absurd, but if you have money to spend by all means.

$180? They're Mark 4 pens are like $76 open box specials right now.
Old 07-08-2017, 03:41 PM   #624
MVP

I went to the Thermapen website and found the basis of their bullshit.

Other digital thermometers found today in retail outlets use a very cheap sensor called a thermistor. The only problem with that is they're relatively slow, taking 20 to 30 seconds to read a complete temperature. Many are even advertised as "Instant Read" and some packages boast a 1 second response time.

I laugh and laugh at this. Thermistors are far cheaper than thermocouples? Thermocouples cost about 20 cents in a Thermapen application. All instant read thermometers that I've seen use thermocouples. They have the golden goose selling a $10 item for over $50.
Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.
Old 07-08-2017, 03:41 PM   #625
Baba Ganoush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! View Post
$180? They're Mark 4 pens are like $76 open box specials right now.
Even then it'd save $60 and would be able to get a Maverick or more shit beer 😁
Old 07-08-2017, 03:51 PM   #626
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

For me the reason I love the speed of the thermopen (and the .10 readout) is the ability to know exactly where your cool spot is.

I can just slowly push forward, watch that dial get colder and colder, then the instant the it goes from XXX.1 to XXX.2, I know I've found exactly where my center is and exactly what the coolest spot in the meat is (and thus my lowest temperature).

With a slower read, you can't do that. You're still kinda guessing on where your middle is. Sure, you can eyeball it, but that's not a real good method. The thermopen is pretty much real-time for that particular application and there's no real way to duplicate it that I've found.

It's the ability to get what amounts to a cutaway view of the meat that will ensure that I always have one.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-08-2017, 03:54 PM   #627
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post
For me the reason I love the speed of the thermopen (and the .10 readout) is the ability to know exactly where your cool spot is.

I can just slowly push forward, watch that dial get colder and colder, then the instant the it goes from XXX.1 to XXX.2, I know I've found exactly where my center is and exactly what the coolest spot in the meat is (and thus my lowest temperature).

With a slower read, you can't do that. You're still kinda guessing on where your middle is. Sure, you can eyeball it, but that's not a real good method. The thermopen is pretty much real-time for that particular application and there's no real way to duplicate it that I've found.

It's the ability to get what amounts to a cutaway view of the meat that will ensure that I always have one.
Compared to what other instant read thermometer you've owned?
Old 07-08-2017, 03:58 PM   #628
Baba Ganoush

I'm not a technical guy, I don't need to know where cold spots are. Actually I never thought about it, once that internal temp hits where it needs to be, I pull it. Never once had I ever had an issue.

If I was some sort of a professional smoker, maybe I would get one? Even then I wouldn't be so sure about it.
Old 07-08-2017, 04:03 PM   #629
Baba Ganoush

Lil update 15 hours in

Old 07-08-2017, 04:46 PM   #630
Supporter

****ing Traeger. I love this grill, and decided to replace the controller with a digital temp controller upgrade.

Mother ****er won't smoke, the temp just goes straight to 370. Time to swap the old one back in so I can perform basic cooking. ****.
notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.