Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 06-27-2016, 11:23 AM  
Kind of a mod

Investing megathread extravaganza

A place to talk about investing stuff.

Last edited by DaFace; 02-19-2021 at 06:35 PM..
DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-27-2024, 09:42 PM   #13846
NFL's #1 Ermines Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buehler445 View Post
That's all fair, and I don't have any so I recognize that it's easier for me to say.

I would say that if it has a Dell type run, is that even possible? I heard just today the market cap of NVDA is bigger than the stock market of Germany and the increas in market cap was enough to represent the ENTIRE market cap for GM, Ford and Ferrari.

If it goes up like the Dell stock did then it would just be, what? bigger than every other stock on the planet combined? I don't think I'm going out on a limb saying that move has already happened (see Hog Farmer's story).

FOMO is a real thing, but goddamn, I'd have trouble not booking at least the 10% to me to even.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog View Post
What percentage do you normally allocate to individual stock position size? You could sell off some of NVDA to get it down to your normal range if it's taken over a large percentage of your total individual stock percentage.
I've historically had only a mostly hypothetical dollar amount limit on any individual stock holding, and I'm really diversified, so that limit is only about 2 percent of my total investments. I say 'hypothetical' because until the past couple of years I'd never had a stock reach that dollar amount. Now, though, I have five that are above the limit - NVDA, GOOG, MSFT, AAPL, and AMZN - because they all shot up so much last year. The last four are not too far above my limit, but NVDA shot up so much that it's now about 4 percent of my total holdings. That's making me nervous, but it's also letting me dress like that guy on the Monopoly money right now.

I'm going to keep selling off tiny amounts of NVDA if it keeps going up, but at the same time it feels like I'm voluntarily pulling my head out of one of those neverending chocolate fountains at Golden Corral. Every time I sell, the stock is 10 percent higher the next time I look. I sold my first defensive share last year at $438 and now it's pushing $800. At some point it's got to slow down, but maybe that won't happen until I'm doing two chicks at the same time. The stock may be high, but at the same time all I'm hearing is that they can't make those chips fast enough to meet the sales that are pouring in. From an investing perspective, it's tough to land a plane like that when I've been wanting a ride on it my whole life.
Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-27-2024, 10:15 PM   #13847
Starter

Is your NVDA in a Roth or other tax protected account or do you take a pretty big tax hit each time you sell?
myselff77 is not part of the Right 53.myselff77 is not part of the Right 53.myselff77 is not part of the Right 53.myselff77 is not part of the Right 53.myselff77 is not part of the Right 53.myselff77 is not part of the Right 53.myselff77 is not part of the Right 53.myselff77 is not part of the Right 53.myselff77 is not part of the Right 53.myselff77 is not part of the Right 53.myselff77 is not part of the Right 53.
Old 02-27-2024, 10:23 PM   #13848
NFL's #1 Ermines Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by myselff77 View Post
Is your NVDA in a Roth or other tax protected account or do you take a pretty big tax hit each time you sell?
About 80 percent is in an after-tax brokerage. That's what I've been selling because if it keeps growing I want to keep the part that's in the IRA. So I'm paying taxes any time I sell.
Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-28-2024, 07:09 AM   #13849
Fish are scared of me

You could buy an inverse 2x leveraged NVDA etf as an insurance policy.

NVDQ

NVDA tanks and NVDQ goes up at a 2X rate.

Currently 6.50
Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-28-2024, 12:12 PM   #13850
NFL's #1 Ermines Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin View Post
You could buy an inverse 2x leveraged NVDA etf as an insurance policy.

NVDQ

NVDA tanks and NVDQ goes up at a 2X rate.

Currently 6.50
I've never done any type of hedging or options, but that's actually kind of intriguing in this particular case.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 03:18 PM   #13851
Fish are scared of me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
I've never done any type of hedging or options, but that's actually kind of intriguing in this particular case.
I bought 5 shares just for fun and it caused NVDA to surpass the 2 Trillion Market cap .
Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 11:38 PM   #13852
Supporter

Quote:
I bought 5 shares just for fun and it caused NVDA to surpass the 2 Trillion Market cap .
LOL. You should have told me and I’d have bought some.
Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-06-2024, 08:38 AM   #13853
Chiefn' It

Opinion on the cheapest per share stock to buy at the moment?
Nixhex would the whole thing.Nixhex would the whole thing.Nixhex would the whole thing.Nixhex would the whole thing.Nixhex would the whole thing.Nixhex would the whole thing.Nixhex would the whole thing.Nixhex would the whole thing.Nixhex would the whole thing.Nixhex would the whole thing.Nixhex would the whole thing.
Old 03-06-2024, 09:18 AM   #13854
Emporer of Mongo

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8RFAN View Post
Ok ... gimme something safe to drop 10k in tomorrow
even a CD or high yield savings is 5%

better than 0
Ming the Merciless is obviously part of the inner Circle.Ming the Merciless is obviously part of the inner Circle.Ming the Merciless is obviously part of the inner Circle.Ming the Merciless is obviously part of the inner Circle.Ming the Merciless is obviously part of the inner Circle.Ming the Merciless is obviously part of the inner Circle.Ming the Merciless is obviously part of the inner Circle.Ming the Merciless is obviously part of the inner Circle.Ming the Merciless is obviously part of the inner Circle.Ming the Merciless is obviously part of the inner Circle.Ming the Merciless is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-06-2024, 11:41 AM   #13855
Emporer of Mongo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixhex View Post
Opinion on the cheapest per share stock to buy at the moment?

my 2 cents on cheapest 'per share' is that it doesnt really say anything about value or not.

What you have to do is multiply the 'per share' cost by the total # of shares (the float) to get the market cap (market value) of the company.

Then you have to take a hard look as to whether that market cap is a 'good deal' , or 'about right' , or 'over priced'

I think what you are looking for (if I am understanding you correctly) is a stock with a low 'per share' price that also is a good VALUE and has the potential to go up in price... as opposed to just random penny stocks that will probably go down or maybe aren't a great value.

Is that right?

I personally think Ford (F) is a fairly safe stock. Picking it up at the 9$ - 12$ per share range is always a good idea. Its on the high end of that range right now but at times pays about 5% dividends on top of possible gains. Put it on a watch and start picking it up if it drops towards 11 or 10. (imo)

SoFi (SOFI) is a good one in the 7$ range. They are new , a banking company, and could be explosive growth in a few years. Buying some sofi in little chunks here and there if it stays around 7-10 could be a good long term plan. Its risky but could grow a lot.

Vacasa (VCSA) is a kind of vacation rental company similar to air-bnb (but different). They are extremely risky and extremely volatile, but in the 7's i think its a good deal.

Newegg (NEGG) the computer online store that you order hard drives and pre builts from is trading at a dollar a share. Theyre in trouble but you could try and buy some for a dollar and hope it goes up to a buck fiddy and sell.. LOL

just a few random thoughts this AM
Ming the Merciless is obviously part of the inner Circle.Ming the Merciless is obviously part of the inner Circle.Ming the Merciless is obviously part of the inner Circle.Ming the Merciless is obviously part of the inner Circle.Ming the Merciless is obviously part of the inner Circle.Ming the Merciless is obviously part of the inner Circle.Ming the Merciless is obviously part of the inner Circle.Ming the Merciless is obviously part of the inner Circle.Ming the Merciless is obviously part of the inner Circle.Ming the Merciless is obviously part of the inner Circle.Ming the Merciless is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-06-2024, 11:58 AM   #13856
NFL's #1 Ermines Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ming the Merciless View Post
even a CD or high yield savings is 5%

better than 0
I just got a 3-month CD at 5.4 percent the other day. It's not going to make me rich, but it's a darn good place to park money while these rates last. Then I can figure out where to put it long-term at my leisure.
Old 03-06-2024, 12:53 PM   #13857
Fish are scared of me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
I just got a 3-month CD at 5.4 percent the other day. It's not going to make me rich, but it's a darn good place to park money while these rates last. Then I can figure out where to put it long-term at my leisure.
Yet NVDY is dropping a $2.62 dividend this week
CONY $1.66
AMDY 1.37
TSLY is at .81
Old 03-06-2024, 07:10 PM   #13858
NFL's #1 Ermines Fan

Quote:
CONY $1.66
AMDY 1.37
TSLY is at .81
Yeah, but that kind of thing is for men who dive off cliffs and hunt with crossbows and flirt with women. I'm a humble gatherer who never travels far from my financial village.
Thumbs Up 5 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 08:50 PM   #13859
Mod Team

Quote:
CONY $1.66
AMDY 1.37
TSLY is at .81
Take stupid shit like TSLY off the list.

It's -11% year to date in total return, -22% in 6M return. A ****ing dog. Dividends do not matter if your capital is being sunk by a stock moving in the wrong direction!
lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 04:26 AM   #13860
Fish are scared of me

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog View Post
Take stupid shit like TSLY off the list.

It's -11% year to date in total return, -22% in 6M return. A ****ing dog. Dividends do not matter if your capital is being sunk by a stock moving in the wrong direction!
Debbie Downer speaks again. Still not worth a listen.

Smart people buy good companies when they're at a discount / Warren Buffett

Last edited by Hog's Gone Fishin; 03-07-2024 at 04:34 AM..
Thumbs Up 0 Thumbs Down 1     Reply With Quote