Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old Yesterday, 03:04 PM  
Supporter

Armadillo invasion

These disgusting little critters are migrating north and are causing some maddening damage on my property. I have learned that several of my friends are also experiencing this you. How about you? Have you any suggestions or experience with them?

I remember when as a kid, they were not north of Texas. Then according to what I have found they made it north to Missouri in the 70s. Armadillos migrated to North America through Central America and Mexico, crossing the Rio Grande River in the late 1800s. Humans also introduced them to Florida during this time.

Now, I don't intend to start an argument about climate change, but they don't like the cold and they are mostly nocturnal, but they may be more active during the day when it's cooler. Researchers believe climate change is a factor in armadillos' northward expansion, as they prefer hot weather and sandy or clay environments.

There is a ton of information out there on them, so I am not going to bore you with cutting and pasting all of it.

Below is just a small sample of the damage they have been doing to my property.

Below is a picture of one I shot the other night a 3 AM. No, armadillos are not protected in Missouri, and are legal to hunt and trap year-round. The Missouri Department of Conservation (MDC) allows residents to trap or shoot armadillos that are causing damage to their property.
Armadillos are considered a nuisance because they can: Damage lawns and gardens, Burrow into the ground, and Carry bacteria that can cause leprosy.

Last edited by HemiEd; Yesterday at 03:17 PM..
HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Yesterday, 03:09 PM   #2
Hung off the Night Train

I saw them smeared all over the high way last time I went to Oklahoma.
George Liquor is obviously part of the inner Circle.George Liquor is obviously part of the inner Circle.George Liquor is obviously part of the inner Circle.George Liquor is obviously part of the inner Circle.George Liquor is obviously part of the inner Circle.George Liquor is obviously part of the inner Circle.George Liquor is obviously part of the inner Circle.George Liquor is obviously part of the inner Circle.George Liquor is obviously part of the inner Circle.George Liquor is obviously part of the inner Circle.George Liquor is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:16 PM   #3
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Liquor View Post
I saw them smeared all over the high way last time I went to Oklahoma.
Yeah, until recently the highway is the only place I had ever seen them as well.

This spring there was a little one in the front yard during the day and the Mrs. alerted me to it. Not thinking I ran out there and the only thing handy was a BB gun. All that did was annoy him. When I came back in the house to get my Glock he was gone.
HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Yesterday, 03:19 PM   #4
I'll be back.

these pieces of shit carry leprosy

keep your pets away
Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Yesterday, 03:20 PM   #5
I'll be back.

i know for a fact they've been all over the area north of springfield for years now

dad used to sit on the porch and snipe them so the dog wouldn't get into one
Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:22 PM   #6
Forever Royal

It’s funny you mention this. My dad and I have noticed over the past few years their northern expansion. We drive south from the Johnson County area to go fishing a lot down 69 highway or I-35 and he talks about how they you would never see them in the past. I don’t recall it either even 5 years ago. But we’ve noticed in the last few years we see more and more of them each year that have been hit on the road and they seem to be moving further and further north. It’s definitely got something to do with temperatures and probably dryness.
mr. tegu is obviously part of the inner Circle.mr. tegu is obviously part of the inner Circle.mr. tegu is obviously part of the inner Circle.mr. tegu is obviously part of the inner Circle.mr. tegu is obviously part of the inner Circle.mr. tegu is obviously part of the inner Circle.mr. tegu is obviously part of the inner Circle.mr. tegu is obviously part of the inner Circle.mr. tegu is obviously part of the inner Circle.mr. tegu is obviously part of the inner Circle.mr. tegu is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Yesterday, 03:28 PM   #7
King Shit of **** Mountain

I had one that kept burrowing in to my well house a couple of years ago and it was a pain in my ass. I caught it in a wire box trap one night/day and by 5pm it had bent the shit out of trap and escaped. Fixed the trap and caught it a couple of days later and moved it about 20 miles south. Haven't seen any on the homestead the past couple of years.

They apparently can't see for shit.
Bob Dole is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bob Dole is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bob Dole is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bob Dole is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bob Dole is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bob Dole is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bob Dole is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bob Dole is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bob Dole is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bob Dole is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bob Dole is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Yesterday, 03:36 PM   #8
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

Saw one good and flattened on the Katy Trail in Columbia.

Yeah, they've definitely made their way north.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Yesterday, 04:05 PM   #9
Seeking the Truth daily

Have lots on the farm. They generally are not an issue except when burrowing and make huge holes and mounds. hey are not what you want near any foundation.

Easy to trap once you know where they are via nothing more than 2by 8's in a V with a live trap at the narrow end. They cant see for shit and will follow the board to the trap. You cannot bait them. They run like the dickens.
HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Yesterday, 04:07 PM   #10
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestChieffan View Post
Have lots on the farm. They generally are not an issue except when burrowing and make huge holes and mounds. hey are not what you want near any foundation.

Easy to trap once you know where they are via nothing more than 2by 8's in a V with a live trap at the narrow end. They cant see for shit and will follow the board to the trap. You cannot bait them. They run like the dickens.
It's gonna suck of the little bastards make it up to the ranch.

About 800 acres of mixed timber up there, lots of places where we take ATVs and stuff through tall grass.

That's a broken axel waiting to happen. We've hit a badger hole here and there but they're pretty rare. Those armadillos will make driving through tall grass a damn mine-field.

Yuck.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Yesterday, 04:07 PM   #11
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dole View Post
I had one that kept burrowing in to my well house a couple of years ago and it was a pain in my ass. I caught it in a wire box trap one night/day and by 5pm it had bent the shit out of trap and escaped. Fixed the trap and caught it a couple of days later and moved it about 20 miles south. Haven't seen any on the homestead the past couple of years.

They apparently can't see for shit.
curious what you used for bait in the trap?
Old Yesterday, 04:09 PM   #12
Hung off the Night Train

My brother also sent me a snap about a week ago of one I'm his yard that he got close enough to pet. Apparently they're supposed to be timid and jumpy but not aggressive.
George Liquor is obviously part of the inner Circle.George Liquor is obviously part of the inner Circle.George Liquor is obviously part of the inner Circle.George Liquor is obviously part of the inner Circle.George Liquor is obviously part of the inner Circle.George Liquor is obviously part of the inner Circle.George Liquor is obviously part of the inner Circle.George Liquor is obviously part of the inner Circle.George Liquor is obviously part of the inner Circle.George Liquor is obviously part of the inner Circle.George Liquor is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Yesterday, 04:14 PM   #13
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiEd View Post
Yeah, until recently the highway is the only place I had ever seen them as well.

This spring there was a little one in the front yard during the day and the Mrs. alerted me to it. Not thinking I ran out there and the only thing handy was a BB gun. All that did was annoy him. When I came back in the house to get my Glock he was gone.
That's why you should always keep your Glock on your person.

Oh, and good shot on the one in the picture.
Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Yesterday, 04:19 PM   #14
Voodoo Chile

Can they cover a tight end?
JimNasium Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JimNasium Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JimNasium Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JimNasium Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JimNasium Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JimNasium Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JimNasium Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JimNasium Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JimNasium Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JimNasium Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JimNasium Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old Yesterday, 04:19 PM   #15
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNasium View Post
Can they cover a tight end?
Might be better at blocking.
Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.