Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 03-04-2022, 08:15 AM  
synthesis2

EV Cars/Trucks

Since I was banned from the Gas thread for simply saying I was glad I have a EV car now I thought I'd answer the question that was posed to me by another before I was banned.(still have zero idea why.

We have a Model 3 long range, it gets around 340 miles per charge and our all in was 50k for the car, $500 for the Wall Charger (you don't need but its cool looking)

Our previous car was a Porsche Cayenne, here is what we spent in the year we owned it. My wife is a rep and uses as her company car. ( she gets paid mileage) so we paid 40k for it. Was a year old when we got it. She drove it 50K in a year, we had to use premium unleaded gas and it got around 18 miles per gallon. We had to get it serviced 3 times with a average cost of $500-700 on each service. I don't know how much we paid in gas but lets assume we still had it today and Premium was going for 4.50 a gallon, it would be around 12-14k on gas a year, along with $1500-2000 in services so our all in each year was 13.5-16k per year in service and gas.

With our Tesla our electricity has seemed to go up $40-50 per month, so lets call it $600 plus tires rotated $100, windshield wiper fluid $5 so for the year its around $800 vs. 13.5-16k.

So the 10k cost difference was made up in less than a year and now we are saving 12k plus per year compared. Plus she loves the car much more than the Porsche.

I know compared with a ford focus the math may not ever make sense but for a nicer car its been awesome for us.
synthesis2 has disabled reputation
Old 12-01-2023, 07:58 AM   #106
Supporter

Range Anxiety

Detroit's Electric Road

The city of Detroit opened the country's first road capable of wirelessly charging

electric vehicles as they drive this week, a key step toward wider adoption of the technology. The quarter-mile demonstration project is meant to show the feasibility of wireless charging as a supplement to an eventual nationwide charging network for electric vehicles.

The technology relies on magnetic resonance induction, similar to wireless charging for cellphones and other devices (and discovered by Nikola Tesla). Effectively, large copper coils placed under the road create a magnetic field, which induces an electric current in a receiver in the car as it drives through, thereby charging the battery (watch 101). The process is not harmful to humans.

In the demonstration, the charging rate reportedly reached as high as 19 kW, a small percentage of the stored energy needed to power an average electric vehicle during regular use.

Analysts say the enhanced roads may help address "range anxiety"—a concern of potential consumers worried electric vehicles can only travel limited distances.
HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-01-2023, 08:34 AM   #107
Supporter

How much will that cost to construct?
notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-01-2023, 12:55 PM   #108
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious View Post
Doesn't really matter - paid for by tax dollars I'm sure - so it is free!!

Wooohoooo - Free Stuff!
BEAVER must have mowed badgirl's lawn.BEAVER must have mowed badgirl's lawn.BEAVER must have mowed badgirl's lawn.BEAVER must have mowed badgirl's lawn.BEAVER must have mowed badgirl's lawn.BEAVER must have mowed badgirl's lawn.BEAVER must have mowed badgirl's lawn.BEAVER must have mowed badgirl's lawn.BEAVER must have mowed badgirl's lawn.BEAVER must have mowed badgirl's lawn.BEAVER must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 01:02 PM   #109
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious View Post
I can't even imagine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAVER View Post

Wooohoooo - Free Stuff!
Yep, for sure. And how are they going to tax these EVs since they don't pay the fuel tax?
HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-01-2023, 01:04 PM   #110
11-5, baby

Heard the new Elon Musk fail-mobile described as an Incel El Camino.

I giggled.
Skyy God is obviously part of the inner Circle.Skyy God is obviously part of the inner Circle.Skyy God is obviously part of the inner Circle.Skyy God is obviously part of the inner Circle.Skyy God is obviously part of the inner Circle.Skyy God is obviously part of the inner Circle.Skyy God is obviously part of the inner Circle.Skyy God is obviously part of the inner Circle.Skyy God is obviously part of the inner Circle.Skyy God is obviously part of the inner Circle.Skyy God is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-01-2023, 01:08 PM   #111
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyy God View Post
Heard the new Elon Musk fail-mobile described as an Incel El Camino.

I giggled.
Old 12-01-2023, 01:12 PM   #112
Kind of a mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiEd View Post
I can't even imagine.

Yep, for sure. And how are they going to tax these EVs since they don't pay the fuel tax?
Many states charge extra on your property taxes. I pay an extra $50/year.
DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-01-2023, 01:14 PM   #113
Kind of a mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAVER View Post

Wooohoooo - Free Stuff!
I bet you're the type who would have bitched about the government paying to build the interstate system.
DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 3 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 01:15 PM   #114
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFace View Post
Many states charge extra on your property taxes. I pay an extra $50/year.
Is that $50 based on mileage driven?

Any idea how that $50 would compare to the tax on the fuel you would have otherwise been using annually?
ghak99 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.ghak99 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.ghak99 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.ghak99 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.ghak99 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.ghak99 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.ghak99 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.ghak99 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.ghak99 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.ghak99 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.ghak99 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.
Old 12-01-2023, 01:24 PM   #115
Kind of a mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghak99 View Post
Is that $50 based on mileage driven?

Any idea how that $50 would compare to the tax on the fuel you would have otherwise been using annually?
Nah, it's a flat rate. Looks like it's $0.22 per gallon in Colorado, so if you assume 22mpg (to make the math easy), that'd work out to ~5k miles per year. If you assume 33mpg (which is closer to what I'd expect on comparable ICE cars), it'd be more like ~7500 miles per year.

There's always weird nuance, though. I have to pay the $50 on my PHEV as well, and any time I leave the city I'm still using gas. So I'm pretty sure I come out behind on that one, though I probably come out a little ahead on my EV.
Old 12-01-2023, 01:28 PM   #116
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFace View Post
I bet you're the type who would have bitched about the government paying to build the interstate system.
California spent billion(s) of dollars to build a tiny railroad. Good luck.
seamonster wants to die in a aids tree fire.seamonster wants to die in a aids tree fire.seamonster wants to die in a aids tree fire.seamonster wants to die in a aids tree fire.seamonster wants to die in a aids tree fire.seamonster wants to die in a aids tree fire.seamonster wants to die in a aids tree fire.seamonster wants to die in a aids tree fire.seamonster wants to die in a aids tree fire.seamonster wants to die in a aids tree fire.seamonster wants to die in a aids tree fire.
Old 12-01-2023, 01:39 PM   #117
Kind of a mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamonster View Post
California spent billion(s) of dollars to build a tiny railroad. Good luck.
This cost about 0.2% of that amount, so I'm not sure how that's relevant.
Old 12-01-2023, 01:56 PM   #118
Starter

Charging a Tesla for one day takes same amount of energy as 13 homes.

EV is a scam.
Pinchshot must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Pinchshot must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Pinchshot must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Pinchshot must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Pinchshot must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Pinchshot must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Pinchshot must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Pinchshot must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Pinchshot must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Pinchshot must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Pinchshot must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
Old 12-01-2023, 02:01 PM   #119
The man you could post like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinchshot View Post

EV is a scam.
From what I've seen most automakers are pulling back quite a bit on investing in them. For now, at least.
Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-01-2023, 02:01 PM   #120
Kind of a mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinchshot View Post

EV is a scam.
Wait till you see how much gas it would take to power 13 homes for a day.