Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old Yesterday, 06:07 PM  
Veteran

Brake Repair

Does anyone still work on cars? I'm in the middle of a brake replacement on a 2006 Ford Freestyle. Quote was $1800 for front/rear brakes. That seems really excessive to me. I bought parts from Rock Auto for $225 shipped; new rotors and pads front and rear.

So far, the biggest issue was a wheel was stuck on the hub and we had to call AAA to get it loose. Looks like I will be buying a 3lb dead blow hammer.

Who else likes to save money doing things themselves?

I still enjoy fixing things however getting up off the ground continues to get more difficult as the time goes on. I realize that at some point, my body won't be able to cash the checks my brain is writing...

CK.
crayzkirk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.crayzkirk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.crayzkirk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.crayzkirk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.crayzkirk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.crayzkirk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.crayzkirk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.crayzkirk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.crayzkirk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.crayzkirk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.crayzkirk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old Yesterday, 06:29 PM   #2
New and Improved

Yea, $1800 seems pretty steep. If you have the tools and know what your doing you should be able to knock that out 2 or 3 hours at the most.

2-3 hours if your vehicle has a normal brake system.
stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:29 PM   #3
In Search of a Life

I have always done my brakes, not much else, but they are so easy. If the wheel gets stuck on the hub again face away from the tire and give the edge of the rim a good horse kick.
IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 3 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:33 PM   #4
MVP

I’m a mediocre mechanic but always do my own oil and brakes. Did my BIL’s Subaru rear brakes for him and he was quoted 440$. He spent about 120 in pads and rotors I believe and it took roughly 30 minutes. It blows me away that people don’t do these simple maintenance things themselves.

My MIL was paying 55$ for tire rotations. 10 minute driveway job with an impact.
Dunerdr is too fat/Omaha.Dunerdr is too fat/Omaha.Dunerdr is too fat/Omaha.Dunerdr is too fat/Omaha.Dunerdr is too fat/Omaha.Dunerdr is too fat/Omaha.Dunerdr is too fat/Omaha.Dunerdr is too fat/Omaha.Dunerdr is too fat/Omaha.Dunerdr is too fat/Omaha.Dunerdr is too fat/Omaha.
Old Yesterday, 06:33 PM   #5
Supporter

Brake jobs are easy and you made a good move buying your parts at Rockauto.

I don't understand the need to call AAA though. Was a dispatcher in India involved? It's pretty normal for the need to bang on the furthest point from center to break one loose.

I am kind of spoiled though having a 2 post lift to facilitate the work on my rides the last few years.
HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Yesterday, 06:34 PM   #6
ATACMS 1 S-500 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayzkirk View Post
Does anyone still work on cars? I'm in the middle of a brake replacement on a 2006 Ford Freestyle. Quote was $1800 for front/rear brakes. That seems really excessive to me. I bought parts from Rock Auto for $225 shipped; new rotors and pads front and rear.

So far, the biggest issue was a wheel was stuck on the hub and we had to call AAA to get it loose. Looks like I will be buying a 3lb dead blow hammer.

I still enjoy fixing things however getting up off the ground continues to get more difficult as the time goes on. I realize that at some point, my body won't be able to cash the checks my brain is writing...

CK.

My only advice to you is this. Don't get addicted to buying cheap brake parts, because once you start.......it gets hard to stop.
El Lobo Gordo Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.El Lobo Gordo Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.El Lobo Gordo Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.El Lobo Gordo Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.El Lobo Gordo Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.El Lobo Gordo Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.El Lobo Gordo Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.El Lobo Gordo Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.El Lobo Gordo Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.El Lobo Gordo Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.El Lobo Gordo Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Thumbs Up 6 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:36 PM   #7
Fight, build, win!

That seems very high for a brake job. I would get more estimates unless you just want to do this yourself. Be aware you might need a special tool to compress the rear calipers. One will have to be compressed and turned clockwise at same time and the other counterclockwise. The tool can be rented for free at O'Reilly's.

Last edited by srvy; Yesterday at 06:37 PM.. Reason: brain fart
srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Yesterday, 06:42 PM   #8
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Lobo Gordo View Post
My only advice to you is this. Don't get addicted to buying cheap brake parts, because once you start.......it gets hard to stop.

HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:08 PM   #9
Politically Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Lobo Gordo View Post
I see what you did there!
scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Yesterday, 07:12 PM   #10
Veteran

Yeah, bought the special tools for the calipers when I bought the parts. $10 for both tools. I bought Raethon. It used to be a good brand. Parts were made in India, not China.

I think they were looking for a payday because they also wanted to replace the oil pan gasket and valve cover gaskets because they were leaking. I'll torque them to specs the next time I'm in there. Can buy a lot of oil for the money they are quoting. What vehicle with 167k doesn't seep some oil? I have a Jeep with 267k that has leaked oil from the rear main since new.

I tried kicking the tire from both sides and had no success. PB Blaster, let it sit overnight, etc. Felt a little guilty calling AAA however both of us have had it for years and never used it. The guy seemed happy to be able to help. I hit the hub with a wire wheel and a brass brush on the aluminum wheels. Little coat of anti-sleeze.

Disc brakes are so much easier than the old drum with the adjusters and all of the springs. Always had trouble getting the parking brake to work and adjusted right.
crayzkirk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.crayzkirk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.crayzkirk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.crayzkirk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.crayzkirk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.crayzkirk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.crayzkirk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.crayzkirk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.crayzkirk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.crayzkirk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.crayzkirk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:38 PM   #11
Supporter

Quote:

CK.
No way?
Smed1065 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Smed1065 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Smed1065 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Smed1065 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Smed1065 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Smed1065 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Smed1065 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Smed1065 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Smed1065 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Smed1065 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Smed1065 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old Yesterday, 07:39 PM   #12
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief View Post
I have always done my brakes, not much else, but they are so easy. If the wheel gets stuck on the hub again face away from the tire and give the edge of the rim a good horse kick.
or remove a couple and drive on it. That quote is BS.
Smed1065 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Smed1065 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Smed1065 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Smed1065 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Smed1065 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Smed1065 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Smed1065 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Smed1065 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Smed1065 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Smed1065 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Smed1065 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old Yesterday, 07:40 PM   #13
Supporter

Quote:
Yeah, bought the special tools for the calipers when I bought the parts. $10 for both tools. I bought Raethon. It used to be a good brand. Parts were made in India, not China.

I think they were looking for a payday because they also wanted to replace the oil pan gasket and valve cover gaskets because they were leaking. I'll torque them to specs the next time I'm in there. Can buy a lot of oil for the money they are quoting. What vehicle with 167k doesn't seep some oil? I have a Jeep with 267k that has leaked oil from the rear main since new.

I tried kicking the tire from both sides and had no success. PB Blaster, let it sit overnight, etc. Felt a little guilty calling AAA however both of us have had it for years and never used it. The guy seemed happy to be able to help. I hit the hub with a wire wheel and a brass brush on the aluminum wheels. Little coat of anti-sleeze.

Disc brakes are so much easier than the old drum with the adjusters and all of the springs. Always had trouble getting the parking brake to work and adjusted right.
Cant get the tools for free from 1 of the shops even. Hell I can do it for $500 and a plane ticket......
Old Yesterday, 08:16 PM   #14
MVP

It's all fun and games until you get brake cleaner in your pee hole
Rainbarrel wants to die in a aids tree fire.Rainbarrel wants to die in a aids tree fire.Rainbarrel wants to die in a aids tree fire.Rainbarrel wants to die in a aids tree fire.Rainbarrel wants to die in a aids tree fire.Rainbarrel wants to die in a aids tree fire.Rainbarrel wants to die in a aids tree fire.Rainbarrel wants to die in a aids tree fire.Rainbarrel wants to die in a aids tree fire.Rainbarrel wants to die in a aids tree fire.Rainbarrel wants to die in a aids tree fire.
Old Yesterday, 08:51 PM   #15
Bolton gonna knock you out

I almost always fix my truck unless it’s something that’s beyond my knowledge.
Coochie liquor is obviously part of the inner Circle.Coochie liquor is obviously part of the inner Circle.Coochie liquor is obviously part of the inner Circle.Coochie liquor is obviously part of the inner Circle.Coochie liquor is obviously part of the inner Circle.Coochie liquor is obviously part of the inner Circle.Coochie liquor is obviously part of the inner Circle.Coochie liquor is obviously part of the inner Circle.Coochie liquor is obviously part of the inner Circle.Coochie liquor is obviously part of the inner Circle.Coochie liquor is obviously part of the inner Circle.