Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 03-11-2017, 11:06 AM  
Mod Team

***Official gardening, landscape and yardwork thread***

We had a 2014 gardening thread and another planting trees thread. Figured it would be better just to have a general thread to share knowledge about all things yards.

I've learned stuff about growing things here in the desert from people all around the country. Post pictures and share your knowledge!
lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-27-2023, 11:25 PM   #796
Fight, build, win!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post
Had to cut down my Ash tree yesterday.

**** you, emerald ash borers.

Guess I'll put in a pin oak to get a decent, hardy, fast growing shade tree back there. I really liked that Ash tree, though. Crap on a stick.
I hate freaking Pin Oaks. If a branch breaks near the end of the limb the whole branch dies to the trunk. Then you are constantly picking up dead branches that blow down in a storm or any high wind. They also go through cycles of heavy acorns that those grey tree rats love. Fox Squirrels can't digest them if you have those Red squirrels kiss them goodbye. The greys breed like rabbits and Fox squirrels hate them and move on. Greys dig little holes in your lawn digging up the billions of pin oak nuts they will drop. Then any auto left out at night grays love to chew the insulation off wiring. Thats a nice bill to track down the electric short.
srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 11:50 PM   #797
Fight, build, win!

Northern Catalpa is a nice native Missouri tree that has big ass leaves and cool white blooms in spring. It is a bean tree so it produces long bean pods that look like green beans. They are a slight niusence to pick up when they drop. But not as bad as Ash with those helicopter seed pods.

Kentucky coffee is native and a cool tree too but drops bean pods. When the pods dry out good shake then and sounds like a rattlesnake.

Missouri Bald Cypress is another cool Missouri native tree that the conservation department pushes to be planted here in Mo. It is a deciduous conifer so the bows turn golden brown at fall drops cones and can be acidic to blue grass lawns.
srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-28-2023, 07:11 AM   #798
It was not a fair catch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buehler445 View Post
Our climates and soil types are remarkably different, but I put in a shamrock linden and I was amazed at how Hardy it was and surprised by how quick it grew.

Might look into some form of Linden tree.
I have a couple of Linden trees. Those Japanese Beetles love them.
displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-28-2023, 07:19 AM   #799
Mod Team

Monterrey plumeria.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5151.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	126062  
lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-28-2023, 07:39 AM   #800
Has a particular set of skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog View Post
Monterrey plumeria.
That looks great. I thought you couldn't grow them there?
BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-28-2023, 08:13 AM   #801
Mod Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedChief View Post
That looks great. I thought you couldn't grow them there?
Oh you can. Just takes a decent amount of work the first few years so the heat or winter doesn’t kill them. I have 6 in the ground now. They grow much slower here as growing season is only March to October.
Old 05-28-2023, 03:43 PM   #802
Ultrabanned

I just cleaned all the shit outta my backyard landscaping that has taken it over the last couple of years. That's not too exciting. Just a bunch of saplings and weeds and vines and whatever.

But I did plant some herbs and peppers and got some tomato plants growing so I'll check in here once they get rolling hopefully
Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-28-2023, 04:38 PM   #803
Certified Bourbon taster

I've had really good luck with a gingko biloba I planted when I bought this place ~25 years ago (Shawnee, KS). Growing well, nothing seems to bother it. I like the shape of the leaves and their autumn color. With my memory problems, I probably ought to gather the leaves and make tea - supposed to be good for us.

The dwarf cherry I planted at the same time is sure 'nuff a dwarf, but it puts out lot of small cherries. I leave 'em for the neighbors to share with their kids, it seems to gather a lot of good will - since I turned diabetic after I planted the tree, the cherry pies I was hoping for are moot. This way I'm a nice old guy. Eh, just don't touch my good whiskey, kids.
BigOlChiefsfan is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigOlChiefsfan is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigOlChiefsfan is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigOlChiefsfan is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigOlChiefsfan is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigOlChiefsfan is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigOlChiefsfan is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigOlChiefsfan is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigOlChiefsfan is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigOlChiefsfan is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigOlChiefsfan is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-05-2023, 07:15 AM   #804
Mod Team

Mango in Phoenix.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5190.jpeg
Views:	80
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	126082  
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 08:28 PM   #805
Mod Team

Guava in December of 2020

Guava in June of 2023. 12 feet tall, tons of little white flowers which means first year fruiting!

Old 06-09-2023, 05:15 AM   #806
Seeking the Truth daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvy View Post
I hate freaking Pin Oaks. If a branch breaks near the end of the limb the whole branch dies to the trunk. Then you are constantly picking up dead branches that blow down in a storm or any high wind. They also go through cycles of heavy acorns that those grey tree rats love. Fox Squirrels can't digest them if you have those Red squirrels kiss them goodbye. The greys breed like rabbits and Fox squirrels hate them and move on. Greys dig little holes in your lawn digging up the billions of pin oak nuts they will drop. Then any auto left out at night grays love to chew the insulation off wiring. Thats a nice bill to track down the electric short.
100% correct.
HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-09-2023, 10:03 PM   #807
MVP

My veggie/fruit garden is the best its been ever. I decided to drill post holes and fence it off this year. Carrots, beets, radishes arent getting destroyed by rabbits and maters look great. Also have taters, okra, green been, snap peas, onions blueberries(sorta) and lots of blcack berries
tooge is obviously part of the inner Circle.tooge is obviously part of the inner Circle.tooge is obviously part of the inner Circle.tooge is obviously part of the inner Circle.tooge is obviously part of the inner Circle.tooge is obviously part of the inner Circle.tooge is obviously part of the inner Circle.tooge is obviously part of the inner Circle.tooge is obviously part of the inner Circle.tooge is obviously part of the inner Circle.tooge is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-09-2023, 10:16 PM   #808
In Mahomes I trust!

Need to get off my ass and tend to my lawn tomorrow.
Stryker 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Stryker 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Stryker 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Stryker 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Stryker 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Stryker 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Stryker 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Stryker 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Stryker 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Stryker 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Stryker 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old 06-10-2023, 04:20 PM   #809
Baba Ganoush

Finally got the concrete along the side of my house done. No more ****ing weeds!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-03-2023, 08:51 PM   #810
Mod Team

This has been a few years in the making. Nothing short of spectacular for me to see. Monterrey plumeria. Now for the heat to destroy the blooms.........

Thumbs Up 5 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote