Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 02-26-2020, 10:28 PM  
MVP

***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***

A couple of reminders...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwana View Post
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartgod View Post
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

Last edited by Bearcat; 03-25-2020 at 08:56 AM.. Reason: adding spoiler tag
JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:19 PM   #11926
El Gato Gordo Loco

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFace View Post
I really wish the world would figure out the difference between a mortality rate and CFR. But I'm kind of giving up on that battle.
The CFR of this is definitely less than the current mortality rate, that's a given. But we'll never know what that actually is unless we want to test a subset of the population or do a serum test for antibodies to see if people had it and beat it.
BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:20 PM   #11927
I'll be back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWillie View Post
What a ride upsetting the overall #1 seed in China. Nobody saw this coming. Trumps bracket is shot.
I want a slow-motion montage of people coughing and hacking up phlegm set to "one shining moment."
Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:21 PM   #11928
El Gato Gordo Loco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donger View Post
I think everyone gets that the number is fluid, but it's what we have as I said earlier. You didn't run the numbers based on what you say we should be using. Why not?
Because the CFR and mortality rates both have nothing to do with active cases that have not yielded a recovery or a death. That's why.
BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:21 PM   #11929
Kind of a mod

Quote:
The CFR of this is definitely less than the current mortality rate, that's a given. But we'll never know what that actually is unless we want to test a subset of the population or do a serum test for antibodies to see if people had it and beat it.
Right. My point is that everyone talks about the "mortality rate" - even reputable media. They're almost all actually referring to CFRs.
DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:21 PM   #11930
El Gato Gordo Loco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties View Post
I get what you're saying, but I think it's silly to say 35% of the people who get this are going to die.
That's not what I'm saying at all. But when people just divide by deaths by total cases - that tells you nothing and they are doing it wrong. They aren't achieving what their goal is to do, but they think they are.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:22 PM   #11931
"Think BOOM!"

Quote:
Because the CFR and mortality rates both have nothing to do with active cases that have not yielded a recovery or a death. That's why.
Right. So you can't run those numbers. But we do have total number of cases and deaths.
Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 0 Thumbs Down 1     Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 03:23 PM   #11932
The Maintenance Guy

Quote:

They look terrible in the vacuum bag they are in. We'll see tonight.
You haven't eaten them yet? You can't be human.
Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:23 PM   #11933
El Gato Gordo Loco

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFace View Post
Right. My point is that everyone talks about the "mortality rate" - even reputable media. They're almost all actually referring to CFRs.
Agreed. But mostly they are just guessing. And most people think the CFR is just divide deaths by total cases right now - and it's not.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:24 PM   #11934
"Think BOOM!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugeater View Post
You haven't eaten them yet? You can't be human.
They arrived Tuesday late and were frozen solid (thankfully).
Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 0 Thumbs Down 1     Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 03:26 PM   #11935
El Gato Gordo Loco

Quote:
Right. So you can't run those numbers. But we do have total number of cases and deaths.
But people are incorrectly interpreting the data. They conclude that Country X has the same amount of cases as US, and we have less deaths, it must be because we have better health care or we are treating them better.

That might be the case. It might not. You have to look further than that. You need to also look at the percentage of total cases that are still active. Those in intensive care. Those recovered AND deaths. The charts of when the new cases were found.

If two countries have the same amount of cases, but yet one has ten times as many recovered cases. Your conclusion will be incorrect if you are just looking at cases and deaths.

The struggle with interpreting data is real and I've seen almost nobody that is doing it right.

Last edited by BWillie; 03-26-2020 at 03:34 PM..
Old 03-26-2020, 03:27 PM   #11936
Starter

Quote:
What a ride upsetting the overall #1 seed in China. Nobody saw this coming. Trumps bracket is shot.
Bigger question is how far understated are China's numbers? I would imagine, at least, they had 500,000 to 600,000 cases. Take 3% of that to get a more likely death total as well.
kgrund is not part of the Right 53.kgrund is not part of the Right 53.kgrund is not part of the Right 53.kgrund is not part of the Right 53.kgrund is not part of the Right 53.kgrund is not part of the Right 53.kgrund is not part of the Right 53.kgrund is not part of the Right 53.kgrund is not part of the Right 53.kgrund is not part of the Right 53.kgrund is not part of the Right 53.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:28 PM   #11937
I love your mom

Quote:
They arrived Tuesday late and were frozen solid (thankfully).
I have actually never had brisket let alone burnt ends, I have also never had a poutine before anyone calls me a racist.
Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:30 PM   #11938
Draconian Warlord

Quote:
Sorry, but if you think that deaths per million is the really important number compared to the others....
No I don't.
burt has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.burt has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.burt has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.burt has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.burt has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.burt has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.burt has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.burt has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.burt has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.burt has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.burt has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:33 PM   #11939
El Gato Gordo Loco

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgrund View Post
Bigger question is how far understated are China's numbers? I would imagine, at least, they had 500,000 to 600,000 cases. Take 3% of that to get a more likely death total as well.
Communism is frustrating. I wish there was a better way to confirm their data. As Trump said initially, not much you can really do except accept their numbers and hope they are true.

At this point, I would definitely lean towards them being very under reported and censoring negative results.

This would mean to me, and this is just a wild guess, that their true cases & mortality rates are both higher than reported.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:35 PM   #11940
best in the biz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monticore View Post
I have actually never had brisket let alone burnt ends,
I'm so sorry for your exclusion.
stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.