Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 05-30-2024, 05:27 AM  
Supporter

Ty Cobb is second now

Baseball Integrates Leaderboards

Major League Baseball officially updated its statistics leaderboard yesterday to include 2,300 qualifying men who played in the Negro Leagues between 1920 and 1948. The integration incorporates findings from a three-year research process initiated after MLB first recognized the Negro Leagues as major leagues in December 2020.

The update reshapes long-standing leaderboards, with legendary power hitter and Hall of Fame catcher Josh Gibson now recognized as the all-time leader in career batting average with a .372 mark, passing prior leader, Ty Cobb. Lifetime numbers from MLB players reflecting their time in the Negro Leagues were also recognized, including those of Jackie Robinson, Willie Mays, and Satchel Paige. See a rundown of leaderboard changes here. https://www.mlb.com/news/stats-leade...ro-leagues-mlb

Tacit bans in the major leagues forced Black players to create their own leagues in the first half of the 20th century. Jackie Robinson broke the sport's racial barrier when he made his debut with the Brooklyn Dodgers in 1947

HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-30-2024, 12:34 PM   #91
El Gato Gordo Loco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcellus View Post
I see nothing wrong with this, probably long overdue.

I do find it interesting that most people somehow know had they been alive 100 years ago they would have the exact same beliefs they do now though.

Get off your soapbox.
I don't think Negro League records or MLB records should count, at all until the integration of all races of players. Should be the same in any sport.

They should all 3 be their own record books.
1) MLB modern day with all races
2) Negro leagues
3) Babe Ruth playing against white people who were plumbers in the offseason
BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 12:39 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamonster View Post
Virtue signaling is embarrassing and you should be ashamed of yourself. You're like a guy with a microdick that has to drive around in a lifted truck with aggressive tires so that you can let everybody know that you've got a personality disorder. There's no "racial justice" at work here. All 20th century parties involved are dead as are their kids as are most of their grandkids. This is irreverent.
Honestly, virtue-signaling police are more annoying at this point. A thread got posted on Chiefsplanet about a change to stats. Somebody supports the change and offers a measured defense of it, and that's "virtue signaling"? Stupid. It's okay to have a ****ing opinion. I'm sure if he came out with some racist diatribe you'd be much happier and not feel the need to attack the signaling of that "virtue".
wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 11 Thumbs Down 1     Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 12:39 PM   #93
In Search of a Life

Records are so funky. Mahomes gonna be caught in this weird in between stage where he gets undercounted versus rookies because he only played 16 games early in his career, but overcounted vs Brady or Manning who played 16 games. One of the reasons I wasn't crazy about making the NFL season longer but that's a petty thing to worry about

I get that different eras are hard to compare but these kinds of era differences are so tricky
chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-30-2024, 12:58 PM   #94
In my youth i pray to keep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
There’s a lot of hate in my heart for deserving teams.
You're in a good place. With the current leadership of the Cardinals it might be 2047 before they win another World Series.
George Liquor is obviously part of the inner Circle.George Liquor is obviously part of the inner Circle.George Liquor is obviously part of the inner Circle.George Liquor is obviously part of the inner Circle.George Liquor is obviously part of the inner Circle.George Liquor is obviously part of the inner Circle.George Liquor is obviously part of the inner Circle.George Liquor is obviously part of the inner Circle.George Liquor is obviously part of the inner Circle.George Liquor is obviously part of the inner Circle.George Liquor is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 01:01 PM   #95
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazu View Post
Honestly, virtue-signaling police are more annoying at this point. A thread got posted on Chiefsplanet about a change to stats. Somebody supports the change and offers a measured defense of it, and that's "virtue signaling"? Stupid. It's okay to have a ****ing opinion. I'm sure if he came out with some racist diatribe you'd be much happier and not feel the need to attack the signaling of that "virtue".
Ive read interesting responses to both sides of the issue. I have played and enjoyed the game of baseball most of my life and Ive learned new things in this thread alone. Your melodramatic hyperbole is not one of those.
jdubya is too fat/Omaha.jdubya is too fat/Omaha.jdubya is too fat/Omaha.jdubya is too fat/Omaha.jdubya is too fat/Omaha.jdubya is too fat/Omaha.jdubya is too fat/Omaha.jdubya is too fat/Omaha.jdubya is too fat/Omaha.jdubya is too fat/Omaha.jdubya is too fat/Omaha.
Thumbs Up 3 Thumbs Down 2     Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 01:04 PM   #96
M-I-Z-Z-O-U

As a baseball nerd, I like including and recognizing these players.

If you read contemporary accounts of MLB players and Negro League players facing each other in barnstorming action, everything agrees that the teams were evenly matched in terms of skill and talent.

So, I think you throw out the argument against the strengths/weaknesses of each league and just take it as it is.
duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 7 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 02:21 PM   #97
Veteran

Quote:
I wasn't the one that called the guy a "piece of shit". But we all got to see his true colors come out to shine (he seems like a fake). And he's too shallow to understand the PR white-washing that's really at work here or the jumbled chaotic mess that this has created. He's just here to post feel-good signifiers with no depth or meaning. People are tired of this shit. These players never competed against eachother. It's insane to wave your hands and re-write history like you're Xi Xingping.
seamonster wants to die in a aids tree fire.seamonster wants to die in a aids tree fire.seamonster wants to die in a aids tree fire.seamonster wants to die in a aids tree fire.seamonster wants to die in a aids tree fire.seamonster wants to die in a aids tree fire.seamonster wants to die in a aids tree fire.seamonster wants to die in a aids tree fire.seamonster wants to die in a aids tree fire.seamonster wants to die in a aids tree fire.seamonster wants to die in a aids tree fire.
Thumbs Up 3 Thumbs Down 3     Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 02:38 PM   #98
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
I refuse to acknowledge any championships before 1947.

Cardinals only have 5
Why would ANYONE acknowledge any championship prior to 1985?
Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-30-2024, 02:51 PM   #99
Out Gunning CP's Fandom Police

Quote:
But that's not really how it happened. Go back to the beginning of the thread and read for yourself. The person who posted about "Supporting Change" resorted to name calling the second his opinion was questioned as being virtuous. That scenario right there is what happens a lot of the time. In my opinion, if virtue signaling was not involved in some way, why the need to resort to name calling? It demeaned his position..

Now to the topic at hand, my opinion, if anyone cares, is I think the leagues were different, and could have separate records. But if MLB wants to combine the stats, I don't have a problem with it. They're all great players.

Last edited by TEX; 05-30-2024 at 02:56 PM..
TEX has disabled reputation
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 1     Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 03:49 PM   #100
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho View Post
As a baseball nerd, I like including and recognizing these players.

If you read contemporary accounts of MLB players and Negro League players facing each other in barnstorming action, everything agrees that the teams were evenly matched in terms of skill and talent.

So, I think you throw out the argument against the strengths/weaknesses of each league and just take it as it is.
For various reasons I don't follow or get excited about MLB anymore, but used to and totally agree with your post.

Why would one be better than the other due to race?

IMO, baseball is one of the few sports that the talent seems to be even, regardless of race, black, white, oriental etc.

Basketball and football not so much.
HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-30-2024, 04:54 PM   #101
Consuming CP souls

Now put Bonds and Clemens in the hall of fame. Since we're just making shit up, let's honor these legends and give then their deserved credit for being the best of their era.
Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 04:55 PM   #102
Choco Favre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasta Little Brioni View Post
Now put Bonds and Clemens in the hall of fame. Since we're just making shit up, let's honor these legends.
Damn straight
New World Order is obviously part of the inner Circle.New World Order is obviously part of the inner Circle.New World Order is obviously part of the inner Circle.New World Order is obviously part of the inner Circle.New World Order is obviously part of the inner Circle.New World Order is obviously part of the inner Circle.New World Order is obviously part of the inner Circle.New World Order is obviously part of the inner Circle.New World Order is obviously part of the inner Circle.New World Order is obviously part of the inner Circle.New World Order is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-30-2024, 04:56 PM   #103
Consuming CP souls

Quote:
Originally Posted by New World Order View Post
Damn straight
Not even arguable now as to why they shouldn't. We're "bending rules to make exceptions " after all.
Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-30-2024, 06:33 PM   #104
SNAP THE ****ING BALL!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEX View Post
But that's not really how it happened. Go back to the beginning of the thread and read for yourself. The person who posted about "Supporting Change" resorted to name calling the second his opinion was questioned as being virtuous. That scenario right there is what happens a lot of the time. In my opinion, if virtue signaling was not involved in some way, why the need to resort to name calling? It demeaned his position.
I resorted to name calling because his shitty post wasn't worth engaging with and he has a history of being a terrible ****ing poster. And I don't think being in favor of this change and thinking he's a dumbass are mutually exclusive.
kysirsoze is obviously part of the inner Circle.kysirsoze is obviously part of the inner Circle.kysirsoze is obviously part of the inner Circle.kysirsoze is obviously part of the inner Circle.kysirsoze is obviously part of the inner Circle.kysirsoze is obviously part of the inner Circle.kysirsoze is obviously part of the inner Circle.kysirsoze is obviously part of the inner Circle.kysirsoze is obviously part of the inner Circle.kysirsoze is obviously part of the inner Circle.kysirsoze is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-30-2024, 06:35 PM   #105
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasta Little Brioni View Post
Now put Bonds and Clemens in the hall of fame. Since we're just making shit up, let's honor these legends and give then their deserved credit for being the best of their era.
Pete Rose?