Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old Yesterday, 02:41 PM  
Starter

Where does Simone Biles rank?

Where does Simone Biles rank among the best American athletes ever? She’s literally reset the bar for the entire sport. Mahomes level except she’s done it for over a decade and against the world. Who is better? She has multiple routines named after her. Largest margin of victory. She jumps like 12 feet over routine. The oldest to win the all around in 72 years. I don’t know how to do polls, but even if I did what choices would he in the poll? I have two daughters in gymnastics and they both want to be her (obviously not relevant to my question but it’s nice as a dad to see them strive to beat her).
Mizzou_8541 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Mizzou_8541 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Mizzou_8541 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Mizzou_8541 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Mizzou_8541 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Mizzou_8541 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Mizzou_8541 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Mizzou_8541 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Mizzou_8541 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Mizzou_8541 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Mizzou_8541 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
Old Today, 05:53 AM   #76
Set it & forget it

#1 gymnast, probably top 5 US Olympian, top 10 US athlete.
redfan is obviously part of the inner Circle.redfan is obviously part of the inner Circle.redfan is obviously part of the inner Circle.redfan is obviously part of the inner Circle.redfan is obviously part of the inner Circle.redfan is obviously part of the inner Circle.redfan is obviously part of the inner Circle.redfan is obviously part of the inner Circle.redfan is obviously part of the inner Circle.redfan is obviously part of the inner Circle.redfan is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:39 AM   #77
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlphg9 View Post
No golfer would be in the top 50 greatest athletes ever. Gtfo with that nonsense.
Babe Didrikson Zaharias is only regarded as the greatest female athlete of the 20th century.

Her golfing career was the backend of her athletics career.

She won two golds and a silver in track and field at the 1932 Olympics. She also pitched in three spring training games, throwing a scoreless inning for the Philadelphia Athletics and two scoreless innings for the Cleveland Indians.
Ocotillo Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Ocotillo Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Ocotillo Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Ocotillo Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Ocotillo Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Ocotillo Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Ocotillo Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Ocotillo Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Ocotillo Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Ocotillo Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Ocotillo Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old Today, 07:42 AM   #78
No Keys, No Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megatron96 View Post
Probably the best female athlete in history.
From a medal perspective in the Olympics, Biles is nowhere close to Larissa Latynina.
Garcia Bronco has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Garcia Bronco has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Garcia Bronco has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Garcia Bronco has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Garcia Bronco has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Garcia Bronco has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Garcia Bronco has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Garcia Bronco has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Garcia Bronco has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Garcia Bronco has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Garcia Bronco has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.
Old Today, 08:06 AM   #79
Sexiest Athlete

I see the posts about how high she can get with some of her leaps; I wonder if that could be translated to an unorthodox approach to the high jump.
Fat Elvis is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fat Elvis is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fat Elvis is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fat Elvis is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fat Elvis is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fat Elvis is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fat Elvis is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fat Elvis is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fat Elvis is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fat Elvis is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fat Elvis is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 08:18 AM   #80
Kind of a mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post
I see the posts about how high she can get with some of her leaps; I wonder if that could be translated to an unorthodox approach to the high jump.
Maybe, but part of the reason gymnasts get so high is the slight springiness of the floor surface.

As for the actual question, there's so much subjectivity around what defines an "athlete" that it's an impossible debate. Medal counts don't work because there's such a difference in the number available in each discipline. Even comparing gymnasts across eras gets shaky just like comparing Mahomes to Dawson.

There's no debate that she's phenomenal at what she does, though.
DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 08:25 AM   #81
Would an idiot do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlphg9 View Post
"Quit on her team" seems to be the incredibly douchey way to say she had a legit issue that caused a former gymnast Jacoby Miles to become paralyzed by breaking her neck. I hate the term, but it's called the Twisties and it really ****s them up. Biles damn near hurt herself in her vault that year because of it. She withdrew so she didn't **** it up for the rest of the team. I believe she also had some mental health issues going on at the time too, but big bad LoneWolf probably doesn't believe in that sort of stuff.
I'd say very few people truly understand what it takes to get to that level and then compete at that level, so those comments read like that's really not taken into perspective.... like it's closer to you or I calling into work sick with a big client in town.

FFS, imagine how she felt making a decision like that and how torn she must have been... and I guess some might say "**** that, I'd risk breaking my neck," but I mean she did just come back and win more medals.
Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 08:29 AM   #82
Suupraa Geniuuusss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
From a medal perspective in the Olympics, Biles is nowhere close to Larissa Latynina.
As I said earlier, I wasn’t talking in terms of accomplishments or medal counts, just sheer athletic ability.
Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 08:50 AM   #83
Kind of a mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megatron96 View Post
As I said earlier, I wasn’t talking in terms of accomplishments or medal counts, just sheer athletic ability.
I don't even really know what athletic ability means. Is the old white dude who can shoot a gun accurately with no equipment a great athlete? How about people who can hit a ball over a net? Or maybe people who can ride a skateboard well?

Track and field and swimming are probably the closest we have to "pure" athletic competitions. Everything else is one form or another of contrived games that physically gifted people can play.
DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 08:56 AM   #84
SNAP THE ****ING BALL!!!

I'm sure all the idiots in this thread calling her a quitter would consider Jordan a quitter as well for retiring when his dad was killed only to return a year later. They couldn't possibly be on record on this very site calling him the GOAT.
kysirsoze is obviously part of the inner Circle.kysirsoze is obviously part of the inner Circle.kysirsoze is obviously part of the inner Circle.kysirsoze is obviously part of the inner Circle.kysirsoze is obviously part of the inner Circle.kysirsoze is obviously part of the inner Circle.kysirsoze is obviously part of the inner Circle.kysirsoze is obviously part of the inner Circle.kysirsoze is obviously part of the inner Circle.kysirsoze is obviously part of the inner Circle.kysirsoze is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 09:35 AM   #85
The Beast Inside Your Head

I have her behind Joey Chestnut at the moment.
BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 10:34 AM   #86
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFace View Post
Maybe, but part of the reason gymnasts get so high is the slight springiness of the floor surface.

As for the actual question, there's so much subjectivity around what defines an "athlete" that it's an impossible debate. Medal counts don't work because there's such a difference in the number available in each discipline. Even comparing gymnasts across eras gets shaky just like comparing Mahomes to Dawson.

There's no debate that she's phenomenal at what she does, though.

The "springiness" is wayyyyy overstated. She has incredible power to get that high, nobody else is doing that.
Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old Today, 10:36 AM   #87
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
Name another athlete that you might consider for a list of best American athletes that quit on their team in a competition that only comes around every 4 years.

This comment shows an incredible amount of ignorance to what happened. Twisties can kill people.

don't be that guy
Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old Today, 11:25 AM   #88
Consuming CP souls

Opinion sports can't be compared to measurable ones. Her golds are based on "opinion"
Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 11:35 AM   #89
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasta Little Brioni View Post
Opinion sports can't be compared to measurable ones. Her golds are based on "opinion"

Stupid. Her difficulty level alone makes this post worthless.
Old Today, 11:45 AM   #90
Constable of Untruths

Quote:
Originally Posted by kysirsoze View Post
I'm sure all the idiots in this thread calling her a quitter would consider Jordan a quitter as well for retiring when his dad was killed only to return a year later. They couldn't possibly be on record on this very site calling him the GOAT.
Surely you can understand the difference between retiring before the season starts and quitting in the middle of the biggest competition your sport has. Let me know when Jordan walked out on the Bulls in the middle of the NBA finals.
LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.