Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 01-24-2019, 09:08 AM  
Starter

Do we really break the bank for Tyreek?

Hear me out. No doubt Tyreek has been great and has obvious chemistry with Mahomes. But do we really make him one of the highest paid WRs?

Here are my thoughts against this:

1) From having watched Mahomes through college, I have observed he really likes taller receivers who can go high to get the ball. Mahomes has of course had success with smaller slot receivers like Keke Coutee but a big bodied receiver can be just as deadly paired with Mahomes. Maybe draft a second receiving tight end?

2) We saw how easy it was to get Reek out of the game completely in the AFCCG. Paying reek would likely even mean there is no Watkins on the other side either.

3) Raw speed, in my humble opinion, is the fastest depreciating asset for any pro-athlete. Who is to say Tyreek from two years later will be faster than a fresh 21 year old coming out of college with a similar skill set?

4) The chemistry Tyreek and Patrick have was built in one off season. I am sure Mahomes can replicate that with mostly anyone. He got Albert Wilson paid last year.

Not saying Tyreek isn't great, he is a unicorn for sure but I am wary of the big money being discussed for his new deal.
CervezaChill has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.CervezaChill has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.CervezaChill has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.CervezaChill has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.CervezaChill has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.CervezaChill has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.CervezaChill has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.CervezaChill has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.CervezaChill has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.CervezaChill has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.CervezaChill has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.
Old 01-24-2019, 12:47 PM   #76
Supporter

I actually posed a similar thread recently. I was pretty damned jaded with Berry AND Houston out. I think being at the top of the market deserves discussion, no matter the player. And damn do I get the heebeejeebees giving speed guys huge money, but Hill isn't some random **** that had a good year or two, he's got a lot of things going for him:

1. He can do things nobody else can. It isn't straight line speed, it's direction change, agility, lateral quickness, it's all elite.

2. Soft skills are good - He can track the ball well and his hands are great. This is where it falls apart with pure speed guys.

3. Durability is plus.

4. He's been a WR for all of 2 years. This is the key. He hasn't hit the top yet.

I'm down. HOPEFULLY doing it early and the Mahomes effect, Reid effect, and success we can stay short of the top contract, but I doubt it.

Bottom line, this isn't Dorsey giving Bowe stupid money.

https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=318998

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.city View Post
The Patriots doubled him literally the entire game.

Bill just told you that you need to pay him.
Or this.
Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-24-2019, 12:48 PM   #77
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buehler445 View Post
I actually posed a similar thread recently. I was pretty damned jaded with Berry AND Houston out. I think being at the top of the market deserves discussion, no matter the player. And damn do I get the heebeejeebees giving speed guys huge money, but Hill isn't some random **** that had a good year or two, he's got a lot of things going for him:

1. He can do things nobody else can. It isn't straight line speed, it's direction change, agility, lateral quickness, it's all elite.

2. Soft skills are good - He can track the ball well and his hands are great. This is where it falls apart with pure speed guys.

3. Durability is plus.

4. He's been a WR for all of 2 years. This is the key. He hasn't hit the top yet.

I'm down. HOPEFULLY doing it early and the Mahomes effect, Reid effect, and success we can stay short of the top contract, but I doubt it.

Bottom line, this isn't Dorsey giving Bowe stupid money.

https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=318998

Or this.
Just like youre down for going out and signing Leveon Bell to a mega-contract?
dlphg9 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dlphg9 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dlphg9 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dlphg9 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dlphg9 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dlphg9 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dlphg9 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dlphg9 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dlphg9 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dlphg9 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dlphg9 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old 01-24-2019, 12:49 PM   #78
Banned

Kareem being gone might work out in the end seeing how we have to roll out the big money for patty, tyreek, kelce, and finish payments on Watkins
Rawlsian is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.Rawlsian is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.Rawlsian is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.Rawlsian is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.Rawlsian is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.Rawlsian is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.
Old 01-24-2019, 12:52 PM   #79
Admitted Planet Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by FringeNC View Post
In general I'm against second contracts on defense and for RBs, but for other positions on offense other than QBs, it depends. For franchise QBs, of course you give them second contracts.
So then do you not want to extend Jones?
Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Old 01-24-2019, 12:53 PM   #80
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlphg9 View Post
Just like youre down for going out and signing Leveon Bell to a mega-contract?

I presume that's TIC w/r/t the total meltdown I had to ****ers legitimately talking about it?
Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-24-2019, 12:54 PM   #81
Tip of the hat LIV Champs

I'm thinking maybe he knows his ticket to stardom is with Patrick Mahomes II and that he won't make the Chiefs pay out the ass but willing take a few bucks off just to stay with the Chiefs. They are the ones to give him the opportunity in the NFL.
Rasputin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rasputin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rasputin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rasputin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rasputin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rasputin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rasputin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rasputin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rasputin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rasputin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rasputin is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-24-2019, 12:54 PM   #82
Threepeat!

I can see an argument for both sides. But it's important to remember that draft picks are more valuable than ever considering the discrepancy between a player's rookie contract and what comes after. I'm guessing the Pat's would trade Hill for a bevy of draft picks. Not having the most expensive player at any position other than QB makes sense based on their success. So if the Chiefs' FO got a great return on Hill (Whatever you think that may be.), I wouldn't object if they were smart with those draft picks. Pretty sure there's a top receiver in almost every draft.

Mahomes and the offense would benefit just as much from 2 very good receivers vs 1 elite receiver. IMHO. BTW, I love Hill & all the positive attributes that he brings to the table. But as they like to say, "It's a business." And if the Chiefs can make an overall improvement by trading Hill, then that's the way to go. I would prefer that they keep Hill after coming to a "fair" agreement that doesn't screw the team's cap.

Last edited by T-post Tom; 01-24-2019 at 01:13 PM..
T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-24-2019, 12:56 PM   #83
Threepeat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Tattoo View Post
I'm thinking maybe he knows his ticket to stardom is with Patrick Mahomes II and that he won't make the Chiefs pay out the ass but willing take a few bucks off just to stay with the Chiefs. They are the ones to give him the opportunity in the NFL.
I like the thought, but I don't think I've ever seen it happen on the 1st contract after a rookie contract.
T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-24-2019, 12:59 PM   #84
testing ... 1, 2, 3

Quote:
There's very little loyalty in the NFL, so I don't think Tyreek's "second chance" is going to be a factor. After all, he straightened his own ass out. Nobody did it for him.

However, your point regarding the pairing with Mahomes is legit, IMO. Who else in the league can hit Tyreek on an All Go from your own 10? Tyreek knows that as well as anybody and the Pro Bowl will prove it to him, in case there's any lingering doubt.

Tyreek and Mahomes are still establishing a relationship that can last years. It seems a little silly to be penny-wise in this situation.

Yoko needs to stay out of the studio.

FAX
FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:01 PM   #85
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaid View Post
They need to have a convo with Mahomes, Hill, and Kelce. Discuss a percent of the cap that would go to them and get them on board. It might mean a little less than they'd get on the open market but having them together boosts their national profile and marketability tremendously. Being on a winning team is also valuable. Being on TV all the time is valuable. It's probably better for them to take a small home team discount because being on this team will be better for them long term.
I got grilled for saying this, but I just don't see mahomes as a guy who would sacrifice greatness at the expense of getting paid. He will get paid big time and he should. But if he's told it means he'll have a shitty ol and defense, I just think he's too competitive to shrug that off. I would think his professional athlete dad would advise him on that too. The history is really unkind to qbs who've taken max deals in the past decade or so. Even brees and rodgers have only been to one super bowl.
chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:01 PM   #86
Threepeat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAX View Post

FAX
Old 01-24-2019, 01:09 PM   #87
Tip of the hat LIV Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAX View Post
There's very little loyalty in the NFL, so I don't think Tyreek's "second chance" is going to be a factor. After all, he straightened his own ass out. Nobody did it for him.

However, your point regarding the pairing with Mahomes is legit, IMO. Who else in the league can hit Tyreek on an All Go from your own 10? Tyreek knows that as well as anybody and the Pro Bowl will prove it to him, in case there's any lingering doubt.

Tyreek and Mahomes are still establishing a relationship that can last years. It seems a little silly to be penny-wise in this situation.

FAX
I would think winning Super Bowls to be a star would include getting endorsements that pay $$$$ and be a celebrity so that money can be astronomical compared to even open market value in the NFL. Nike and McDonalds have spent hundreds of millions of dollars on athletes.

So taking a lesser amount in the NFL would be like taking out insurance on yourself to make it big.
Rasputin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rasputin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rasputin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rasputin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rasputin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rasputin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rasputin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rasputin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rasputin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rasputin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rasputin is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:10 PM   #88
Starter

Here are the top listed WRs in 2018

Odell Beckham, Jr.
Antonio Brown
Mike Evans
Brandin Cooks
DeAndre Hopkins
Sammy Watkins
Jarvis Landry
A.J. Green
Davante Adams
Stefon Diggs

Coincidence that almost none of their teams made the playoffs. Is that a recipe for success if we have a generational talent at QB?

I get it, not a place for objective reasoning, we love Tyreek, THE BAND MUST STICK TOGETHER. I will prioritize Kelce over him for sure.

Once we pay Mahomes, Kelce and Hill a shit ton , we are probably stuck with a shitty defense. Trust me Mahomes does not need a highly paid WR. He can't play defense though.
CervezaChill has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.CervezaChill has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.CervezaChill has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.CervezaChill has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.CervezaChill has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.CervezaChill has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.CervezaChill has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.CervezaChill has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.CervezaChill has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.CervezaChill has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.CervezaChill has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.
Thumbs Up 0 Thumbs Down 1     Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 01:13 PM   #89
testing ... 1, 2, 3

Quote:
I would think winning Super Bowls to be a star would include getting endorsements that pay $$$$ and be a celebrity so that money can be astronomical compared to even open market value in the NFL. Nike and McDonalds have spent hundreds of millions of dollars on athletes.

So taking a lesser amount in the NFL would be like taking out insurance on yourself to make it big.
If I was Rosenhaus, that would enter my mind, as well. On the other hand, big contracts garner big media attention and endorsers like that, so that works both ways.

Ultimately, it's up to Tyreek (and his fiance and mom, probably). How close is he to Mahomes? That will be the determining factor as to whether or not he cuts us some sort of deal, IMO.

His value as a player is off the charts.

FAX
FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:14 PM   #90
testing ... 1, 2, 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CervezaChill View Post
Odell Beckham, Jr.
Antonio Brown
Mike Evans
Brandin Cooks
DeAndre Hopkins
Sammy Watkins
Jarvis Landry
A.J. Green
Davante Adams
Stefon Diggs

Coincidence that almost none of their teams made the playoffs. Is that a recipe for success if we have a generational talent at QB?

I get it, not a place for objective reasoning, we love Tyreek, THE BAND MUST STICK TOGETHER. I will prioritize Kelce over him for sure.

Once we pay Mahomes, Kelce and Hill a shit ton , we are probably stuck with a shitty defense. Trust me Mahomes does not need a highly paid WR. He can't play defense though.
Please cease that infernal screeching.

FAX