Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 04-26-2021, 05:37 AM  
Tossed Salad & Scrambled Eggs

Falcons taking calls on Julio Jones

Quote:
A hamstring injury limited Jones to just nine games last season, though he still put up strong numbers when he was on the field. He caught 51 passes for 771 yards and three scores as the Falcons finished the year 4-12. From 2014-19, Jones missed only four games and averaged 104 catches and 1,564 yards per season. SI Link.

From Peter King:
Quote:
Surprises? Keep an eye on Atlanta. I can’t predict any bombshells. But a few things would not surprise me. Most notably, the Falcons putting the framework of a trade together for star wideout Julio Jones, and making the trade effective June 2. That way, Atlanta could split Jones’ cap charge between 2021 and 2022 instead of getting bashed with it all this year. So if such a trade happens, I expect it could involve a future pick or picks, nothing this year. (A future second-round pick as compensation seems fair to me.) Because such a trade wouldn’t be official till June, no picks in this draft could be involved. As for the interested team or teams, I would guess Las Vegas; Jon Gruden couldn’t resist Antonio Brown, and I doubt he could resist Julio Jones. New England too, and a couple of teams with clear receiver needs—Tennessee and Baltimore.

Now, the Falcons don’t really want to trade Julio Jones. He’s a franchise legend. But he’s 32, entering his 11th season, coming off a banged-up year with seven games missed due to injury, and the Falcons are in cap jail. If they could off-load his money and cushion it by splitting it between this year ($7.75 million) and next ($15.5 million), Atlanta’s cap charge on Jones this year goes down by a tad more than $15 million.

One final note here, to be very clear: I am not reporting the Falcons will trade Jones, or will probably trade Jones. I am saying it would not surprise me if it happened.

Last edited by Dante84; 04-26-2021 at 12:24 PM..
Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-25-2021, 01:00 PM   #751
Mahomes Fanboi

Checking in...

have we signed this ****er yet?
Molitoth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Molitoth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Molitoth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Molitoth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Molitoth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Molitoth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Molitoth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Molitoth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Molitoth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Molitoth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Molitoth is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-25-2021, 01:01 PM   #752
'Tis my eye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RINGLEADER View Post
FTR, as much as I think we need another DE, I’m all for loading up where we are already strong and think Julio, when healthy, would make us world beaters on offense.
When healthy.

And when not costing 2nd and 3rd round picks plus $15M guaranteed.

We just don't have the capital to do it. We'd be cutting off our nose to spite our face.
htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-25-2021, 01:01 PM   #753
Veteran

April 9, 2021, Chiefs re-signed WR Tajae Sharpe.
May 17, 2021, Chiefs waive WR Tajae Sharpe.
May 17, 2021, Chiefs sign WR Daurice Fountain.
May 24, 2021, Falcons sign WR Tajae Sharpe.

ESPN showing Falcons WR depth chart with Tajae Sharp as second WR right behind Julio Jones. https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/depth/_/name/atl

I realize this is just ESPN, nothing official, but that's interesting they would put Sharpe that high.

Atlanta does have some good receivers in Calvin Ridley, Russell Gage, and they drafted Frank Darby (6th rd) who might be good.

Other WR names for Atlanta, Christian Blake, Chris Rowland, Antonio Nunn, Juwan Green, Greg Dortch, Cordarrelle Patterson (ST), and Olamide Zaccheaus.

Atlanta might ask for a WR as part of a Julio Jones trade.
Wilson8 would the whole thing.Wilson8 would the whole thing.Wilson8 would the whole thing.Wilson8 would the whole thing.Wilson8 would the whole thing.Wilson8 would the whole thing.Wilson8 would the whole thing.Wilson8 would the whole thing.Wilson8 would the whole thing.Wilson8 would the whole thing.Wilson8 would the whole thing.
Old 05-25-2021, 01:02 PM   #754
Mahomes Fanboi

PS: the Chiefs don't need Julio Jones to win the SuperBowl, they just need to WANT IT again.

They ****ing sleepwalked through last season, and it finally bit them in the SuperBowl.
Molitoth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Molitoth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Molitoth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Molitoth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Molitoth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Molitoth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Molitoth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Molitoth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Molitoth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Molitoth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Molitoth is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 01:05 PM   #755
MVP

How about Demarcus Robinson and a third round pick for Julio and some cash from the Falcons to offset the big salary cap number this year?

Would any of the Julio naysayers be willing to take a chance in that scenario?
TomBarndtsTwin is obviously part of the inner Circle.TomBarndtsTwin is obviously part of the inner Circle.TomBarndtsTwin is obviously part of the inner Circle.TomBarndtsTwin is obviously part of the inner Circle.TomBarndtsTwin is obviously part of the inner Circle.TomBarndtsTwin is obviously part of the inner Circle.TomBarndtsTwin is obviously part of the inner Circle.TomBarndtsTwin is obviously part of the inner Circle.TomBarndtsTwin is obviously part of the inner Circle.TomBarndtsTwin is obviously part of the inner Circle.TomBarndtsTwin is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-25-2021, 01:06 PM   #756
You gotta kill a few people

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBarndtsTwin View Post
Remember that Colts game from 2 seasons ago . . . . . . .
Mahomes was hurt in that game, though. I think that was the bigger issue.

He made that nasty highlight reel TD pass and then his already-injured ankle got stepped on and from then on he struggled.
ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-25-2021, 01:12 PM   #757
'Tis my eye!

Quote:
How about Demarcus Robinson and a third round pick for Julio and some cash from the Falcons to offset the big salary cap number this year?

Why would the Falcons do that?
htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-25-2021, 01:13 PM   #758
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaVirus View Post
Mahomes was hurt in that game, though. I think that was the bigger issue.

He made that nasty highlight reel TD pass and then his already-injured ankle got stepped on and from then on he struggled.
He was. And in addition to the 2 starting WR not playing and him getting stepped on by Cam Erving further injuring that ankle, we were without 2 other starting O-Lineman most of that game.

That game was just a giant shitshow outside of the Mahomes to Pringle connection.
TomBarndtsTwin is obviously part of the inner Circle.TomBarndtsTwin is obviously part of the inner Circle.TomBarndtsTwin is obviously part of the inner Circle.TomBarndtsTwin is obviously part of the inner Circle.TomBarndtsTwin is obviously part of the inner Circle.TomBarndtsTwin is obviously part of the inner Circle.TomBarndtsTwin is obviously part of the inner Circle.TomBarndtsTwin is obviously part of the inner Circle.TomBarndtsTwin is obviously part of the inner Circle.TomBarndtsTwin is obviously part of the inner Circle.TomBarndtsTwin is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-25-2021, 01:14 PM   #759
Hockey Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by htismaqe View Post
Low 2, high 3 seems to be what his value in the league is. The Falcons honestly just need to clear the books, they're an overpaid, underachieving, aging bunch.
Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-25-2021, 01:17 PM   #760
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson8 View Post
April 9, 2021, Chiefs re-signed WR Tajae Sharpe.
May 17, 2021, Chiefs waive WR Tajae Sharpe.
May 17, 2021, Chiefs sign WR Daurice Fountain.
May 24, 2021, Falcons sign WR Tajae Sharpe.

ESPN showing Falcons WR depth chart with Tajae Sharp as second WR right behind Julio Jones. https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/depth/_/name/atl

I realize this is just ESPN, nothing official, but that's interesting they would put Sharpe that high.

Atlanta does have some good receivers in Calvin Ridley, Russell Gage, and they drafted Frank Darby (6th rd) who might be good.

Other WR names for Atlanta, Christian Blake, Chris Rowland, Antonio Nunn, Juwan Green, Greg Dortch, Cordarrelle Patterson (ST), and Olamide Zaccheaus.

Atlanta might ask for a WR as part of a Julio Jones trade.
On the other hand if they trade Jones they probably would run more 12 personnel even on passing downs. Ridley Gage Hurst and Pitts.
Shields68 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliShields68 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliShields68 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliShields68 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliShields68 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliShields68 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliShields68 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliShields68 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliShields68 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliShields68 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliShields68 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
Old 05-25-2021, 01:18 PM   #761
'Tis my eye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecca View Post
Low 2, high 3 seems to be what his value in the league is. The Falcons honestly just need to clear the books, they're an overpaid, underachieving, aging bunch.
We'll see.

If the price tag comes down to about half of what it is now, I'd do it. But at the current cost, no way.
Old 05-25-2021, 01:20 PM   #762
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by htismaqe View Post
Not saying they would necessarily, but was just throwing out a hypothetical due to the anti-Julio sentiment from one side.

Supposedly the asking price has dropped due to him publically saying he wants out now and they're trying to offload salary. Maybe not the 'asking price', but what they can realistically get for him.

Sending Julio and some cash (not a lot probably, granted) still helps with that while adding another NFL WR with experience in a complex NFL offense while adding a 3rd round pick to the draft bag.

Again, I think they could probably get a little better and some team would offer more, but was just throwing out a hypothetical to see if any of the anti-Julioites would bite IF this were an option.

At one time, I would have thought the Orlando Brown trade that Veach pulled off wasn't a realistic option . . . . . . . . . . . . . . until it was.
Old 05-25-2021, 01:20 PM   #763
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecca View Post
Yep. But other teams probably want a discount and holding out for a 3/4. Given Jones probably only goes to a team he believes is a playoff contender it is most likely a low 3. Those out of the picture would have the same headache the Falcons have.
Shields68 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliShields68 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliShields68 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliShields68 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliShields68 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliShields68 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliShields68 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliShields68 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliShields68 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliShields68 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliShields68 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
Old 05-25-2021, 01:22 PM   #764
Veteran

Quote:

Demarcus Robinson had a no trade clause in his contract last year but not this year.

Atlanta would probably want Mecole Hardman instead. Mecole has a contract for '21 and '22 for a pretty good price. His base is $874,096 with $75,000 workout bonus and then a base of $1,101,144 with another $75,000 workout bonus. https://overthecap.com/player/mecole-hardman/7847/
Wilson8 would the whole thing.Wilson8 would the whole thing.Wilson8 would the whole thing.Wilson8 would the whole thing.Wilson8 would the whole thing.Wilson8 would the whole thing.Wilson8 would the whole thing.Wilson8 would the whole thing.Wilson8 would the whole thing.Wilson8 would the whole thing.Wilson8 would the whole thing.
Old 05-25-2021, 01:26 PM   #765
'Tis my eye!

Quote:
Not saying they would necessarily, but was just throwing out a hypothetical due to the anti-Julio sentiment from one side.

Supposedly the asking price has dropped due to him publically saying he wants out now and they're trying to offload salary. Maybe not the 'asking price', but what they can realistically get for him.

Sending Julio and some cash (not a lot probably, granted) still helps with that while adding another NFL WR with experience in a complex NFL offense while adding a 3rd round pick to the draft bag.

Again, I think they could probably get a little better and some team would offer more, but was just throwing out a hypothetical to see if any of the anti-Julioites would bite IF this were an option.

At one time, I would have thought the Orlando Brown trade that Veach pulled off wasn't a realistic option . . . . . . . . . . . . . . until it was.
I'm not anti-Julio.

I'm anti-giving up $15M in cap space to a 32-year old guy with a lengthy injury history and some evidence that it is finally catching up with him.

For me, it just needs to be lower comp. There's too much risk to give up what the price tag is right now.