Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old Yesterday, 06:03 PM  
Life is changing..

What do you / don't you want to hear from a candidate in an interview?

As I've moved up in my company, I'm less involved in the hiring process for new employees.

I kind of miss it though. The good interviews. The bad ones. The absolute train wrecks.

Anyway, what are things you like to hear from candidates? What don't you want to hear people talk about?
TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 01:04 PM   #61
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowser View Post
I'll also add

"We're looking to shift the paradigm, here"
We had a guy come in and do an in-office Ted Talk of sorts; really impressive dude; Fortune 200 CEO and all that jazz; big wig at Ford, IIRC. He's in the middle of his show and starts talking about paradigm shifts and shit like that - I just leave. I get up and get coffee.

I come back after about 15 minutes and things have gotten back to even keel. Afterwards we go out to lunch; 3 of us and him. And he mentions "hey, I saw you leave during that spot..."

And I was honest with him and said "Yup - had no interest in the corporate word salad; came back a little later to see if you'd gotten yourself off the mat..."

He says "yeah - EVERYONE hates that crap. Can't say I've seen anyone just leave the presentation like that before, but I'll use that going forward. I actually pointed out when you were getting coffee how god-awful that sort of crap is and how everyone just tunes it out. There's just no utility in that kind of language..."

So hey, tip o' the cap to that guy. But what confuses me is why anyone still does it. I mean EVERYONE knows that shit is cringe as all get out. Nobody hears it. Are the folks that do it THAT full of themselves? Or so lacking in self-awareness that they don't realize that nobody is impressed by it? What schools are still churning out folks that do that crap?
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 01:09 PM   #62
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by displacedinMN View Post
I want people to be honest. I have sat in on a lot of interviews, had some that felt like a sales pitch, not for themselves, but for insurance. Didnt really talk about classroom things.
I used to do pretty involved interviews. Thought exercises, problem solving questions, hell, I might have thrown a riddle or two in there. I felt like an interview that was less than an hour long was half-assed and I didn't do enough. Results of all that time, work and effort was about average. Some good, some bad.

I truly don't give a shit anymore. If your resume got you in the door, you're probably qualified. Now I just want to know if I want to work with you or not. If you're faking it, your job history will probably give you away and you won't make it to the interview. But if you have a good job history, requisite qualifications and are in the top 10% or so of the resumes I have, I'm gonna presume you're qualified.

Now just prove I want to work with you. My results aren't any worse - they're probably a little better. And ultimately it's a hell of a lot simpler and even if a person doesn't work out, at least I don't hate seeing them when I get in the door.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 01:12 PM   #63
NFL's #1 Ermines Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer_Chief View Post
My interviews I’ve been in the past couple weeks have all been pretty technical which makes sense I’m a data analyst so they want to know how I’ve used python sql power bi and the reasoning behind it. I lost my job a couple weeks ago due to downsizing so I’ve had roughly 15 interviews the past two weeks and honestly I’m tired of it. Ready to get an offer. I’ve had several second and third interviews and now I’m just waiting. Sucks.
Anecdotally, I feel like there's been a tipping point occurring in the job market. I keep hearing about people being laid off, more in companies in the tech space but other places as well. Good luck to you and others in finding a good fit quickly.
Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 03:06 PM   #64
King Shit of **** Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLO View Post
As I've moved up in my company, I'm less involved in the hiring process for new employees.

I kind of miss it though. The good interviews. The bad ones. The absolute train wrecks.

Anyway, what are things you like to hear from candidates? What don't you want to hear people talk about?

My interviews typically lasted between 20-30 minutes, just like my staff meetings. I've learned that most of the time, I could communicate anything I needed to in-person in that amount of time.

I had a horrible candidate once, however, where I made an exception. If an applicant was one of our graduates, I tried to give them an interview, even if they were weak on paper (and most were). I kept this poor bastard sitting in my office for 90 minutes because every time I asked him a question, he would develop a new nervous tick. It was fascinating.

It was atypical enough that my secretary later asked what the hell was going on.
Bob Dole is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bob Dole is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bob Dole is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bob Dole is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bob Dole is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bob Dole is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bob Dole is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bob Dole is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bob Dole is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bob Dole is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bob Dole is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 03:31 PM   #65
It was not a fair catch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spott View Post
So is ChatGPT. I’ve been fortunate to have applied for jobs that involved some type of entrance exam. I’ve always done really well on those, especially any with math involved because I’ve been able to multiple large numbers in my head since I was in elementary school, which allowed me to finish these types of exams in no time.
ChatGPT creates a lot of great resumes, by not so great people.
displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 03:51 PM   #66
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubya View Post
I was in the fire department and when I was part of interviews, the person I liked was the kid that was so excited to be a FF it even amped me up. I didnt like the guys that did the monotone blah blah blah answers. I liked the guys that looked excited to work with you.
I have a favorite candidate of this type. We ended up calling him '**** yea Brian' through the whole hiring process, and he was a fantastic hire, so much that he outpaced our ability to pay him at his value, and we lost him eventually, but he was a superstar for years!
underEJ 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliunderEJ 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliunderEJ 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliunderEJ 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliunderEJ 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliunderEJ 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliunderEJ 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliunderEJ 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliunderEJ 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliunderEJ 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliunderEJ 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli