Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 04-05-2017, 10:55 AM  
World's Best Boss

*** Official 2017 Royals Repository ***

Chiefsplanet’s (Proposed) 2017 Season Title: One Last Ride

Midish-Season Update (Royals 51-47, 2nd Wild Card, 1.5 GB of ALC):

We're halfway through 2017, and fittingly to the Chiefsplanet's 2017 Season Title, the Royals are all-in on what will likely be one final run with the current core. While many are worried the Royals will take a 2004 style tumble after this year, the farm system is hardly the barren wasteland it was during the Baird years. To see what's in the pipeline and what we have to look forward to, check out this exceptional list and analysis that Duncan put together of our system.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...htmlview#gid=0

While I had the honor of starting this thread this year, Duncan will always have a VIP pass to this OP, and can add more content at any time.

2017's Burning Questions Revisited:

1. What is the threshold between being “buyers” and “sellers” at the deadline?

We're buyers, baby.

In April, I argued that it would be a wise strategy for us to sell if we were 5 GB or worse, but that Dayton would likely add supplemental pieces for us to load up for another run if we were 1-2 GB. On July 24th, the Royals found themselves in sole possession of the 2nd wild card spot and 1.5 games back of the division. In April I said the Royals might pull the trigger on someone like Alex Cobb and resign Luke Hochevar, but since the Rays are also buyers and Luke's shoulder hasn't rebounded, this prediction hasn't come to fruition. Luckily, Dayton Moore again proved much more adept and creative than me by adding Trevor Cahill (good call, Duncan), Brandon Maurer and Ryan Buchter in a single trade. Giving us a solid starter to compete in 2017, and two relievers whom we will control through 2019 and 2021, respectively, keeping Moore's new vision through 2019-2020 intact. Moore has hinted that the Royals will continue to pursue the right deals if they're there, so the fun may not be over just yet. While we may not have the bullets to pull in a "star" like Cueto or Zo, Moore's adeptness may yet again net us what we need for another run in October.

2. Can Gordo and Moose bounce back to 2015 levels?

In April I asked if Gordo could at least set the table at a 265/325/425 clip and if Moose could deliver damage around a 265/335/500 clip for an entire year. This season Mr. Moustakas has been the prospect that was promised, delivering at a 277/307/568 clip as of this update. Gordo, on the other hand, has put up an unbelievably abysmal line thus far. But, if there is a silver lining, it's that Gordo has performed at a 246/311/432 line since June 1st, and if he can continue to perform near that mark, he will be more than a valuable asset at the bottom of the lineup while he continues to provide the best LF defense in the league.

3. Can Ned Yost manage a bullpen?

In April, I felt that despite the poor start, Royals bullpen would ultimately be "solid" this year, but the question was whether "solid" was good enough for Ned. I argued that the Royals needed Soria to bounce back and that Ned would need to start being strategic in his L/L and R/R matchups. While Ned has still made at times baffling and frustrating decisions with his starters (such as allowing Travis Wood to try to "get the win" and still insisting on sending Hammel out for the 6th, he's mostly done a good job).

MASH: Minor/Moylan - Alexander - Soria - Herrera (Credit to C3HIEF3S for the origins of the phrase) have cemented into reliable pieces, and now that Herrera is showing signs of stabilizing, our dumping of Wood, our call up Flynn, and the acquisition of Buchter and Maurer, the Royals have the potential to enter October with one of the best and deepest bullpens in the postseason.

4. Will the Royals find a boost from an unexpected X-Factor to lift them to contention?

Cool-Whit, Boni, Mike ****ing Minor, and Alexander have come up huge thus far. Cool Whit is, incredibly, is second on the team in WAR and has more than replaced Zo's presence on the team. They, like the X-Factors on the 2014-2015 teams, have been critical cogs as we've raced back to contention, while Cool-Whit and Boni also have provided a rosier outlook for this team's future. It's worth noting that Salvador Perez and Jason Vargas has been beasts on offense and the mound (along with Sal providing his customary defensive excellence), but I am still a bit wary of Salvy's annual Yost assisted offensive drought as the team moves into August, along with Vargy regressing to his averages.

5. Can Jorge Soler and Brandon Moss be productive contributors in Kauffman’s dimensions?

Ouch, no, but the Royals shift to power-hitting in the juiced ball era looks like one that will pay off. Thankfully, Moss is showing signs of entering his seasonal hot streak where he becomes corn-fed Jesus for a month, and we'll need him hot to keep up with Cleveland down the stretch. While Jorge has been painful to watch in the majors, his scorching performance in AAA should give one a bright hope for the future. While some may disagree, I offer Moose, Hos, Gordo, and Duffy's struggles as exhibit A for why it is far too early to give up on Soler's potential.

Bonus Question - Is Raul Mondesi truly ready to be an everyday player?

Ha! Not even close. However, like Soler, his progress in AAA is incredibly encouraging. With ceilings like Lindor and floors being Esky being thrown out there, it's hard not to be excited about his future.

The Picture Forward

There are many reasons to be excited, and not only for 2017. The Royals emergence of Cool Whit, Bonifacio, and Scott Alexander, and the fact that we have pieces like Salvador Perez, Danny Duffy, Kelvin Herrera, Jorge Soler, Ryan Buchter, Brandon Maurer Cheslor Cuthbert, and Raul Mondesi until at least 2019 should leave one feeling pretty optimistic. Re-up Moose or Hos (and heck, re-sign Dyson while we're at it), and suddenly this team looks very much like one that could compete for the indefinite future.

The Royals are all in again, buckle in and enjoy the ride.

April OP:

Spoiler!

Last edited by Chiefspants; 08-02-2017 at 01:53 PM..
Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:37 AM   #7021
MVP

Look at photos of Kauffman Stadium field, which is undergoing ‘massive overhaul’

Quote:
About an hour after the Royals’ season finale Sunday at Kauffman Stadium, a group of grounds crew members grabbed a golf club and put a pin in center field.

This wasn’t some end-of-the-season fun. Head groundskeeper Trevor Vance let them do it because the Royals are replacing the field for the first time since 1994. And if you believe that’s just a matter of replacing the grass, think again.

“This is,” Vance said, “a massive overhaul.

“This isn’t just stripping the sod. We’re replacing the sod, we’re replacing the sand, we’re taking out part of the warning track.”

Below the grass is 15 to 20 inches of sand, which is on top of 4 to 6 inches of pea gravel and then irrigation pipes. There are more than 90 sprinkler heads. Vance said 10 to 12 inches of dirt in the infield are being replaced. The warning track’s crushed lava is being pulled up and the top 4 inches of material will be recycled and used at the bottom of the new material.

“Everything below surface, it started to become kind of like an old house,” Vance explained. “The irrigation is showing some age and it wasn’t draining as well as it had. Pipes were getting weak. We had repeated repairs with the system.”

When the field was installed, it was able to drain 20 inches of rain in an hour. Vance said testing showed that was down to 5 inches of rain per hour.

“The last thing we wanted to do was have our drainage system fail us,” Vance said. “It was getting up there in age.”
WhawhaWhat has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.WhawhaWhat has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.WhawhaWhat has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.WhawhaWhat has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.WhawhaWhat has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.WhawhaWhat has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.WhawhaWhat has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.WhawhaWhat has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.WhawhaWhat has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.WhawhaWhat has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.WhawhaWhat has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
Old 10-05-2017, 10:19 PM   #7022
In Search of a Life

Anyone else watch the Tar Wars on FS1? I'm watching it now.

Spoiler:
Spoiler!

Last edited by suzzer99; 10-05-2017 at 10:28 PM..
suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 10-05-2017, 10:44 PM   #7023
In Search of a Life

Well they already ****ed up one thing. They said we played the Yanks in the 1979 ALCS.
suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 10-06-2017, 07:22 AM   #7024
R8R H8R

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo20002 View Post
What do these words mean?
Not worth what to who?
I'm good with it. I have no problem with them spending 300m. It isnt my money. But it will be my money paying to go to games. I'd prefer to see star players playing wimning baseball on a contending team.
Exactly what im saying, the owners are billionaires why should we care if they spend an extra 100 million to keep a respectable product?
13and3 has disabled reputation
Old 10-06-2017, 11:05 AM   #7025
Herm is the worst...horrible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Expectations View Post
The reason we can't sign Hosmer and Moose are Kennedy, Soria, and Gordon.
Nonsense. Each of those contracts will likely be finished by the time the lion share of the money would kick in for any contract we would offer to Hosmer. They back-load, assuming player and agent are good with that.
dallaschiefsfan has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.dallaschiefsfan has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.dallaschiefsfan has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.dallaschiefsfan has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.dallaschiefsfan has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.dallaschiefsfan has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.dallaschiefsfan has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.dallaschiefsfan has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.dallaschiefsfan has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.dallaschiefsfan has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.dallaschiefsfan has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:50 AM   #7026
M-I-Z-Z-O-U

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13and3 View Post
Exactly what im saying, the owners are billionaires why should we care if they spend an extra 100 million to keep a respectable product?

That's fair, to an extent. Even a billionaire who runs a $100 million deficit a year in cash on a team would have a hard time carrying that for very long.

Based on market size, revenue, and total expenses (beyond MLb payroll), Glass likely operated at a deficit at least this year and the year before.

It's also worth noting that every year for the past several years, we've heard the Royals need to reduce costs and can't afford to go bigger, and they keep going bigger in payroll.

I don't necessarily believe they will again, but we shouldn't take everything that's said about payroll on its face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:22 PM   #7027
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho View Post
Based on market size, revenue, and total expenses (beyond MLb payroll), Glass likely operated at a deficit at least this year and the year before.
IIRC, didn't they also say at least once that they were stashing money away for when they built a winner and needed it? Was that the Gil Meche retirement thing?
DiaperBoy27 is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutDiaperBoy27 is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutDiaperBoy27 is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutDiaperBoy27 is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutDiaperBoy27 is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutDiaperBoy27 is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutDiaperBoy27 is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutDiaperBoy27 is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutDiaperBoy27 is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutDiaperBoy27 is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutDiaperBoy27 is the dumbass Milkman is always talking about
Old 10-07-2017, 07:57 AM   #7028
M-I-Z-Z-O-U

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiaperBoy27 View Post
IIRC, didn't they also say at least once that they were stashing money away for when they built a winner and needed it? Was that the Gil Meche retirement thing?

I think that is common sentiment in some circles, but I've never placed a lot of stock in it.

The Meche money was rolled primarily into the draft and signings out of Latin America.

duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 10-07-2017, 02:16 PM   #7029
#RIPAce

The fan in me hopes that Glass is willing to take losses for a couple more years until the new TV deal can come in.
CaliforniaChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.CaliforniaChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.CaliforniaChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.CaliforniaChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.CaliforniaChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.CaliforniaChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.CaliforniaChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.CaliforniaChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.CaliforniaChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.CaliforniaChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.CaliforniaChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 10-07-2017, 04:37 PM   #7030
M-I-Z-Z-O-U

2018 is the toughest year salary wise. It starts to get better in 19 and gets a TON better in 2020 and beyond. Think they only have about $30 million committed to 2020 right now.

It would be cool if Glass looks at that $50 milllion MLB tv cash-in as something he can use as a bridge to keep Hosmer in KC.

Old 10-07-2017, 06:38 PM   #7031

Quote:
2018 is the toughest year salary wise. It starts to get better in 19 and gets a TON better in 2020 and beyond. Think they only have about $30 million committed to 2020 right now.

It would be cool if Glass looks at that $50 milllion MLB tv cash-in as something he can use as a bridge to keep Hosmer in KC.

That's why I'm not completely sold that it's over. Next year is terrible payroll wise, but Dayton did a great job of making sure a lot of that money was off the books by 2019. Now they'd have to get Hosmer or Moose to agree to a backloaded deal, but I doubt they care as long as they get their $$.

This also assumes Dayton doesn't decide "Well we didn't win jack squat with them" so let's just gut the whole thing and start over.
tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 10-09-2017, 04:20 PM   #7032
M-I-Z-Z-O-U

Crunched some numbers on payroll this morning with help from Cot's and MLB trade rumors.

If Moore can convince Glass to hold payroll steady in 2018 or even bump it, I think they can make it work with Hosmer.

They're going to be around $116 in commitment to 20 players available to the team in 2018 and another $5 million or so in commitment to buyouts.

Old 10-11-2017, 09:04 AM   #7033
M-I-Z-Z-O-U

Follow-up: I started thinking about FA and how KC could bridge the short-term gap in 18 and be set up for contention again in 19 and beyond. More as a thought exercise than anything...

This all depends on the ability to sign Eric Hosmer. I'm still not sure it's a move you want to make, and it may still bite them, but if it happens...

Say KC goes 7 years, $125 million on Hosmer, backloading that so his salary in 18 is $12 million.

I'd then look at addressing CF. Cain is too pricy/risky, but I think you can bring back Dyson on a reasonable three-year deal (3/20). Again, would backload a bit to offset other commitments in 2018.

Those two signings likely put KC's payroll right around $130 million. That means, to me, Glass has to approve bumping the 18 payroll into the $150 million range. I think the benefit of signing Dyson instead of Moustakas or Cain is that it would leave enough leftover cash to bring back Mike Minor if you wanted.

This gives KC a continued lineup anchor for 2018 and beyond, while keeping the heart of the team around and bringing the soul back for a second tour.

I don't think that makes the 18 team good enough to catch the Indians, but it does keep them respectable and "in the chase."

If you can get to 19 with a solid core (Hosmer, Perez, Duffy, Merrifield, Dyson, hopefully at least one of Soler or Mondesi), KC would be in good shape financially AND have some reinforcements on the way from the minor league system by that point, I think.

Old 10-11-2017, 09:26 AM   #7034
The Beast Inside Your Head

Quote:
Follow-up: I started thinking about FA and how KC could bridge the short-term gap in 18 and be set up for contention again in 19 and beyond. More as a thought exercise than anything...

This all depends on the ability to sign Eric Hosmer. I'm still not sure it's a move you want to make, and it may still bite them, but if it happens...

Say KC goes 7 years, $125 million on Hosmer, backloading that so his salary in 18 is $12 million.

I'd then look at addressing CF. Cain is too pricy/risky, but I think you can bring back Dyson on a reasonable three-year deal (3/20). Again, would backload a bit to offset other commitments in 2018.

Those two signings likely put KC's payroll right around $130 million. That means, to me, Glass has to approve bumping the 18 payroll into the $150 million range. I think the benefit of signing Dyson instead of Moustakas or Cain is that it would leave enough leftover cash to bring back Mike Minor if you wanted.

This gives KC a continued lineup anchor for 2018 and beyond, while keeping the heart of the team around and bringing the soul back for a second tour.

I don't think that makes the 18 team good enough to catch the Indians, but it does keep them respectable and "in the chase."

If you can get to 19 with a solid core (Hosmer, Perez, Duffy, Merrifield, Dyson, hopefully at least one of Soler or Mondesi), KC would be in good shape financially AND have some reinforcements on the way from the minor league system by that point, I think.

If we bring back Minor we have 3 really good lefty relievers and shit from the RH side it seems like. Isn't Lovelady a lefty also?
BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:47 AM   #7035
Stroking to the SB Champs!

Quote:

I like your thoughts, but I think there is a better chance that Esky and Moose are re-signed vs Hosmer.

Moss plays 1B, Esky plays SS, Mondesi plays 2B, Whit goes to LF, Gordon slides to CF, Boni manages RF and Soler plays DH (blah). I don't really care for that lineup, but I can certainly see the Royals going that route. They need to spend their money on pitching, imo.
ChiTown is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiTown is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiTown is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiTown is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiTown is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiTown is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiTown is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiTown is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiTown is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiTown is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiTown is obviously part of the inner Circle.