Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old Yesterday, 03:04 PM  
Supporter

Armadillo invasion

These disgusting little critters are migrating north and are causing some maddening damage on my property. I have learned that several of my friends are also experiencing this you. How about you? Have you any suggestions or experience with them?

I remember when as a kid, they were not north of Texas. Then according to what I have found they made it north to Missouri in the 70s. Armadillos migrated to North America through Central America and Mexico, crossing the Rio Grande River in the late 1800s. Humans also introduced them to Florida during this time.

Now, I don't intend to start an argument about climate change, but they don't like the cold and they are mostly nocturnal, but they may be more active during the day when it's cooler. Researchers believe climate change is a factor in armadillos' northward expansion, as they prefer hot weather and sandy or clay environments.

There is a ton of information out there on them, so I am not going to bore you with cutting and pasting all of it.

Below is just a small sample of the damage they have been doing to my property.

Below is a picture of one I shot the other night a 3 AM. No, armadillos are not protected in Missouri, and are legal to hunt and trap year-round. The Missouri Department of Conservation (MDC) allows residents to trap or shoot armadillos that are causing damage to their property.
Armadillos are considered a nuisance because they can: Damage lawns and gardens, Burrow into the ground, and Carry bacteria that can cause leprosy.

Last edited by HemiEd; Yesterday at 03:17 PM..
HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 02:56 PM   #46
Arrowhead Trail of Tears

I"ve killed a ****ton of these bastards

shoot them on sight, it's legal

https://mdc.mo.gov/wildlife/nuisance...adillo-control

There is no hunting or trapping season for the armadillo. However, the Wildlife Code of Missouri specifies that damage-causing armadillos may be trapped or shot to prevent further damage. Refer to 3 CSR 10-4.130 Owner May Protect Property; Public Safety of the Code for details and restrictions.

**** those things, the buzzards eat their corpses after they suffer lead poisoning
TribalElder is obviously part of the inner Circle.TribalElder is obviously part of the inner Circle.TribalElder is obviously part of the inner Circle.TribalElder is obviously part of the inner Circle.TribalElder is obviously part of the inner Circle.TribalElder is obviously part of the inner Circle.TribalElder is obviously part of the inner Circle.TribalElder is obviously part of the inner Circle.TribalElder is obviously part of the inner Circle.TribalElder is obviously part of the inner Circle.TribalElder is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:07 PM   #47
Veteran

They are nasty , just another reason cuss a Texan
R Clark wants to die in a aids tree fire.R Clark wants to die in a aids tree fire.R Clark wants to die in a aids tree fire.R Clark wants to die in a aids tree fire.R Clark wants to die in a aids tree fire.R Clark wants to die in a aids tree fire.R Clark wants to die in a aids tree fire.R Clark wants to die in a aids tree fire.R Clark wants to die in a aids tree fire.R Clark wants to die in a aids tree fire.R Clark wants to die in a aids tree fire.
Old Today, 03:25 PM   #48
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frazod View Post
12 gauge slug would do the trick as well. Would be therapeutic, too.
This is what I used and still missed a couple times being half asleep in the middle of the night from about 120 ft. Its the only long gun I own besides the BB gun. Amazing those shells are over 60 years old, check the price, $3.19 for 25 of them.
[/url]
HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 03:52 PM   #49
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. tegu View Post
A quick search shows that there are real biological reasons that they prefer winters less harsh than what you get the further north you go.

Also there are a variety of species, some native to Argentina, so no surprise they do well there. Interestingly this article shows that the US armadillo is actually a different species than the similar one in Argentina, which apparently was typically thought to be the same due to the similar appearance.

https://amp.miamiherald.com/news/nat...289577360.html
https://eartharchives.org/articles/t...cas/index.html

Could be worse. 10,000 years ago, these 2-ton giant armadillos with spiked tails wandered the plains.
suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 03:55 PM   #50
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiEd View Post
This is what I used and still missed a couple times being half asleep in the middle of the night from about 120 ft. Its the only long gun I own besides the BB gun. Amazing those shells are over 60 years old, check the price, $3.19 for 25 of them.
[/url]
You need more guns!
Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:49 PM
HemiEd
This message has been deleted by HemiEd.