Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 06-01-2014, 09:40 AM  
Kind of a mod

Space Exploration megathread

Since a number of cool things are happening in space exploration these days, we'll widen the scope of this thread a smidge. Conversation about all things space exploration are welcome, whether it be from NASA, SpaceX, ULA, Blue Origin, or anyone else. Chances are most of the discussion will still be about SpaceX since they love to make things public and fun, but nothing's off limits. I'll eventually get around to modifying the OP to include resources for other companies too, but in the meantime, feel free to post any cool stuff you run across.

Lists of Upcoming Missions

How to Watch a Live Launch

Where to Learn More
Spoiler!

Glossary
Spoiler!

Last edited by DaFace; 12-10-2020 at 03:36 PM..
DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-06-2024, 09:34 AM   #5491
Repeal the 19th Amendment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
Probes are explorers. People on the ISS are workers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFace View Post
That seems extremely myopic to me. At worst, these kinds of tests are aimed at ENABLING exploration even if you want to be pedantic about what "exploration" entails.
Careful, or we're in for a sperg out.

"SpAcex DoeSN't ExplORe, GuiSE! DORa DOes!"

GeorgeZimZam must have mowed badgirl's lawn.GeorgeZimZam must have mowed badgirl's lawn.GeorgeZimZam must have mowed badgirl's lawn.GeorgeZimZam must have mowed badgirl's lawn.GeorgeZimZam must have mowed badgirl's lawn.GeorgeZimZam must have mowed badgirl's lawn.GeorgeZimZam must have mowed badgirl's lawn.GeorgeZimZam must have mowed badgirl's lawn.GeorgeZimZam must have mowed badgirl's lawn.GeorgeZimZam must have mowed badgirl's lawn.GeorgeZimZam must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
Old 06-06-2024, 09:34 AM   #5492
NFL's #1 Ermines Fan

Quote:
That seems extremely myopic to me. At worst, these kinds of tests are aimed at ENABLING exploration even if you want to be pedantic about what "exploration" entails.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeZimZam View Post
Rain Man being autistic. The only part of this back and forth that adds up.

So the person who designs a hydraulic valve in upstate New York that helps to open an ISS solar panel is an explorer?

Of course not. Enabling exploration is not exploration. Queen Isabella was not an explorer. The merchants who sold supplies to Jim Bridger were not explorers. Explorers are the tip of the spear. They're the ones who see new places with their own eyes and bring back stories of Bigfoot and giants, and no one can question them because no one else has been there.

The ISS workers are just workers whose jobs require them to be in an unusual workplace.
Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 09:40 AM   #5493
Kind of a mod

Quote:
So the person who designs a hydraulic valve in upstate New York that helps to open an ISS solar panel is an explorer?

Of course not. Enabling exploration is not exploration. Queen Isabella was not an explorer. The merchants who sold supplies to Jim Bridger were not explorers. Explorers are the tip of the spear. They're the ones who see new places with their own eyes and bring back stories of Bigfoot and giants, and no one can question them because no one else has been there.

The ISS workers are just workers whose jobs require them to be in an unusual workplace.
By your definition, there hasn't been a space explorer since Neil Armstrong. Again, that's fine if your goal is to be pedantic, but that's a pretty gross misrepresentation of everything we've accomplished since.
DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-06-2024, 09:45 AM   #5494

It is telling how your argument is changing along the way. First, singling out the entire private sector space industry, without any consideration for the fact there is virtually NO public sector space industry to speak of in the United States. You were basically saying, "SpaceX (short for SPACE EXPLORATION TECHNOLOGIES INC.) doesn't explore space." Now you are trying to drag Queen Isabella into it. It was over the moment you committed to the Submit Reply button on your original post:

Quote:
I feel like this thread should be renamed as the space exploitation thread. None of these private sector actions are exploring.
Also, "I feel like..." should never be uttered by a man. It is best reserved for some dumb broad, just before she says the dumbest shit ever.
GeorgeZimZam must have mowed badgirl's lawn.GeorgeZimZam must have mowed badgirl's lawn.GeorgeZimZam must have mowed badgirl's lawn.GeorgeZimZam must have mowed badgirl's lawn.GeorgeZimZam must have mowed badgirl's lawn.GeorgeZimZam must have mowed badgirl's lawn.GeorgeZimZam must have mowed badgirl's lawn.GeorgeZimZam must have mowed badgirl's lawn.GeorgeZimZam must have mowed badgirl's lawn.GeorgeZimZam must have mowed badgirl's lawn.GeorgeZimZam must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
Old 06-06-2024, 09:47 AM   #5495
NFL's #1 Ermines Fan

Quote:
By your definition, there hasn't been a space explorer since Neil Armstrong. Again, that's fine if your goal is to be pedantic, but that's a pretty gross misrepresentation of everything we've accomplished since.
No, no, no. It doesn't have to just be the first person in a category.

The 12 guys who landed on the moon are all clearly explorers. I could potentially call the first people who identified explanets explorers, though obviously their physical risk is low. I could call the first space walkers explorers. If I really stretched it, maybe I could think of a few other space things like the people who spend a year in space to see what it's like, though that's coming pretty close to being a worker.

Exploration is becoming less common as we learn more about the world, but it can still occur. A person doing experiments with spider webs and low-gravity manufacturing isn't an explorer. They're an innovation worker at best.
Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-06-2024, 11:03 AM   #5496
The Seated Villain

I loved the white-hot flap actuating. Incredible.
MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.
Old 06-06-2024, 11:09 AM   #5497

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicHef View Post
I loved the white-hot flap actuating. Incredible.

Old 06-06-2024, 04:15 PM   #5498
"Think BOOM!"

Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-06-2024, 07:18 PM   #5499

Starship IFT4 afterparty…but NDA obligated ahhhhhhh!

Any further posts from me tonight: pls delete mods thank you.
Old 06-06-2024, 07:37 PM   #5500
Kind of a mod

Quote:
Starship IFT4 afterparty…but NDA obligated ahhhhhhh!

Any further posts from me tonight: pls delete mods thank you.
Ha, have fun, man. I'm jealous.
Old 06-06-2024, 07:48 PM   #5501
[b]Supporter[/b]

Quote:
Speaking of dumb broads, these reaction videos are incredibly cringe.
Delano 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDelano 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDelano 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDelano 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDelano 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDelano 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDelano 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDelano 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDelano 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDelano 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDelano 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
Old 06-06-2024, 09:22 PM   #5502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delano View Post
Speaking of dumb broads, these reaction videos are incredibly cringe.
It’s the Space Exploration Megathread, wtf do you want? Some hookers from Matamoros, Mexico? Give me a couple hours. I got my passport card. I’m on it, @Joe****ingCool.
Old 06-07-2024, 09:48 AM   #5503
Veteran

Quote:

The 12 guys who landed on the moon are all clearly explorers. I could potentially call the first people who identified explanets explorers, though obviously their physical risk is low. I could call the first space walkers explorers. If I really stretched it, maybe I could think of a few other space things like the people who spend a year in space to see what it's like, though that's coming pretty close to being a worker.

Exploration is becoming less common as we learn more about the world, but it can still occur. A person doing experiments with spider webs and low-gravity manufacturing isn't an explorer. They're an innovation worker at best.
I don't think you're really grasping what just happened with SpaceX...Based on what I'm seeing they flew a structure the size of a football field into space and then rapidly flung it back towards the ocean at a rate of descent that was 8 kilometers to 1 kilometer in under 20 seconds and then hovered it above the ****ing ocean. That's impressive.
seamonster wants to die in a aids tree fire.seamonster wants to die in a aids tree fire.seamonster wants to die in a aids tree fire.seamonster wants to die in a aids tree fire.seamonster wants to die in a aids tree fire.seamonster wants to die in a aids tree fire.seamonster wants to die in a aids tree fire.seamonster wants to die in a aids tree fire.seamonster wants to die in a aids tree fire.seamonster wants to die in a aids tree fire.seamonster wants to die in a aids tree fire.
Old 06-07-2024, 09:48 AM   #5504
Veteran

Quote:

I don't think you're really grasping what just happened with SpaceX...Based on what I'm seeing they flew a structure the size of a football field into space and then rapidly flung it back towards the ocean at a rate of descent that was 8 kilometers to 1 kilometer in under 20 seconds and then hovered it above the ****ing ocean. That's impressive.
seamonster wants to die in a aids tree fire.seamonster wants to die in a aids tree fire.seamonster wants to die in a aids tree fire.seamonster wants to die in a aids tree fire.seamonster wants to die in a aids tree fire.seamonster wants to die in a aids tree fire.seamonster wants to die in a aids tree fire.seamonster wants to die in a aids tree fire.seamonster wants to die in a aids tree fire.seamonster wants to die in a aids tree fire.seamonster wants to die in a aids tree fire.
Old 06-07-2024, 12:27 PM   #5505
Kind of a mod

Pretty good debrief with Elon. Key things that stood out to me: the booster landing was "precise" while Starship was about 6km off target. He thinks there's a chance they'll try to catch it for IFT-5.

Thumbs Up 3 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2024, 03:10 PM   #5506

Quote:
Ha, have fun, man. I'm jealous.
Met a SpaceX employee from Kansas City. Pitched on the Blue Valley Northwest HS baseball team. Big Chiefs and Royals fan.

Most of the employees are likely sports agnostic. But they do have enough Chiefs fans throughout the company for a ChiefsX group chat on Microsoft Teams.

There is a company plane that flies free and direct between Brownsville and Los Angeles (which is a godsend: the Valley sucks for flights). Gives the Mrs. and me little excuse to miss the Chiefs-Chargers game this year at SoFi.