Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 03-17-2015, 12:29 PM  
Has a particular set of skills

***Official Car and Gearhead Thread***

Seems like we need one on here to talk cars, mods and the coolness of your or their car.

Interested? Chime in
BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-23-2024, 01:12 PM   #5476
Needs more middle fingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post
So...uh...here's a strange question.

If I can't seem to find the rear shocks on this damn thing - where might you suggest I look?

I figured "hey, look under the car somewhere near the leaf springs and boom, you'll find your shocks..."

Man, I can't find anything. It's a damn shock - they shouldn't be hard to find. And surely they didn't build the thing without shock absorbers in the back.

I'll try to take a few photos but are there some common things folks will do when they build these pro touring looking cars where they'll just remove the stinking shocks? I mean...they HAVE to be at/near the rear wheels, right?

This is the first time I've ever felt truly stupid looking at this car.
Should be pretty obvious. Top of the shock should mount to the body. Should be able to see the bolt for it through your trunk next to the wheel housing. Bottom of the shock should be bolted to the Leaf Spring/Axle Perch.
ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-23-2024, 01:14 PM   #5477

BTW, i have a new Camaro Global West shackle kit that i'd sell ya on the cheap. Ive had it in my stock room for over a decade .

No idea why we even have it. If you want it, let me know and i'll sell it for much less than retail just to get rid of it.

https://www.globalwest.net/camaro-de...1971-1981.html
ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-23-2024, 01:22 PM   #5478
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

Man I do love me some Global West...

I'm not sure I'd actually get much out of them since I rarely throw the cobs to it (aren't those upgraded shackles usually for drag stuff?), but I love me some global west toys...

When Mitch gets it up on the rack, I'll give you a shout - may just have to take you up on that...
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-23-2024, 01:23 PM   #5479

Quote:
Man I do love me some Global West...

I'm not sure I'd actually get much out of them since I rarely throw the cobs to it (aren't those upgraded shackles usually for drag stuff?), but I love me some global west toys...

When Mitch gets it up on the rack, I'll give you a shout - may just have to take you up on that...
No rush, they ain't going anywhere i can promise you that
Old 05-23-2024, 01:29 PM   #5480

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxSocks View Post
Should be pretty obvious. Top of the shock should mount to the body. Should be able to see the bolt for it through your trunk next to the wheel housing. Bottom of the shock should be bolted to the Leaf Spring/Axle Perch.
D'oh!

{facepalm} Shoulda thought of that.

Like I said - I feel real dumb right now. I'm in the middle of the worlds most boringest meeting right now but I'll give that a look afterwards...
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-23-2024, 01:37 PM   #5481

That shackle kit retails for $193.

I'd give it up for $100 just to get it out of my life.

I have a whole shelf full of new parts that we've collected through the years for one dumb reason or another. Usually vendors sending us the wrong shit and not wanting it back.

I got ****in'....Chrysler valve covers, random air filters, truck tow balls....that camaro shackle kit....just weird odds and ends that are new and have value so we don't wanna just throw it away.

At the same time, aint no one got time to sell that shit either so they just sit here collecting dust. We're never gonna use it so..../shrug.

You'd be doing me a favor just taking it off my hands so i dont have to look at it anymore, ha.
Old 05-23-2024, 01:57 PM   #5482

Quote:
D'oh!

{facepalm} Shoulda thought of that.

Like I said - I feel real dumb right now. I'm in the middle of the worlds most boringest meeting right now but I'll give that a look afterwards...
I am, in fact, reeruned. Found the mount bolt in the trunk, followed it and the damn thing was right where it should've been. Black sleeve around it to match the painted underside so I just looked right past it...

{sigh}
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 02:07 PM   #5483
Supporter

So I have skipped most of the conversation but I know a guy who was having trouble with his rims on his Camaro. He went to 4.5 on backspacing on 15s and it fixed his issue and the stance. Not sure on tire sizes tho
Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-23-2024, 02:08 PM   #5484
Supporter

Welp I’m an idiot, half a dozen posts up, DJ has his guy figuring it out. Ignore me, I’m a dumbass who was too lazy to read
Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-23-2024, 02:37 PM   #5485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum Ripper View Post
Welp I’m an idiot, half a dozen posts up, DJ has his guy figuring it out. Ignore me, I’m a dumbass who was too lazy to read
But did you convince yourself that your car doesn't have rear shock absorbers?

If you didn't, you're not the dumbest guy in the thread...
Old 05-23-2024, 05:25 PM   #5486
Supporter

Quote:
But did you convince yourself that your car doesn't have rear shock absorbers?

If you didn't, you're not the dumbest guy in the thread...
No, but I did convince my teenage daughter that once every few years we have to drive to New Mexico with all our vehicles for atomic bomb dirt.

Had her 100% bought in that we had to take cars to New Mexico to put dirt on top of the transmission. That the dirt where they tested atomic bombs was needed on top of the transmission to continue to run. That the atoms from the bombs absorbed into the transmission and made the car run better. That if you hear about cars with transmission problems, they hadn’t gone to New Mexico in time.
Old 05-24-2024, 02:19 PM   #5487

Old cars, man....

This morning I jump in it - {click}. Nothing.

Radio and lights work, but starter motor isn't turning. I can hear the solenoid trying to fire but bendix didn't do a thing.

Throw the multi-meter on there, brand new battery pulling 11.5 volts so obviously pretty discharged. I went ahead and jumped it, tested at the alternator, about the same thing.

Popped it off, took it (and the belt) to O'Reilly to test it, failed. Bought a new one and a new belt since I had to remove the belt to get the alternator off; belt seemed fine but why not replace it?

But hey, it was an excuse to get a new battery tender. Kinda silly that I never had one - the damn thing's wired with a quick connect, I just lost my old tender at some point. Went ahead and got a top post batter shutoff as well just to make things easier in the winter.

So there's another $300 or so but hey - nobody said toys are cheap. And that's going to make the winterizing process all the easier.

{Detox} "Whats this 'winterizing'?" {/Detox}

Last edited by DJ's left nut; 05-24-2024 at 02:27 PM..
Old 05-24-2024, 03:33 PM   #5488

Quote:

{Detox} "Whats this 'winterizing'?" {/Detox}
Ha.

We gotta use those in the shop all the time. Especially with some of the Optimas are any of the non-mainstream specialty batteries.

Optimas are totally pieces of shit btw. Don't care what anyone says. Had more of those things go flat on us than any other battery.

A lot of these aftermarket electronics that are meant to have very minimal draw, will still draw enough to kill a battery over time.

Most recently we had a car that kept killing batteries and figured out it was the Remote Proximity Keyless Entry. Faulty control module. It was always searching for a signal (as it's suppose to) but the draw was too high.

But yeah...what's this winterizing shit? LOL
Old 05-31-2024, 12:50 PM   #5489

They're here!!!

I'm pretty damn stoked to get this project moving after several years of dicking around with it. Lord these things are slick.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2024, 12:55 PM   #5490

I do wish Viking had been a little more clear in the utility of the thrust bearings. I went ahead and ordered them because everything recommended I do so. And when you put it together it's the most obvious thing in the world.

Honestly, they really shouldn't sell the things without 'em. I wonder if they're just trying to beat a specific price point ("We sell our double adjustables for the price of QA1's singles!") and can do so by having you spend another $25 for the thrust bearings.

I mean don't get me wrong - still looks incredible. I just don't think that's a question that should even be asked. "Hey, do you want to put spring compressors on your shocks to make a 1/2 inch adjustment? Or drag your springs directly against the collar while you're doing it?"

I mean c'mon - the answer is obviously no and of course $25 isn't prohibitive when the kit itself cost about 25 times that.

Just don't give the customer the option. Sell 'em with the thrust bearing.