Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 04-11-2023, 08:37 PM  
Starter

Old People Thread

Hello old people of CP! Do you ever think about wanting to talk about problems you and other old people have? Is this football forum the only place on the internet you know how to get to? Well look no further! This old man thread is here for you to talk about your trials and tribulations.

Have an itch to complain about how the young generation doesn't know what hard work is? Post it in here! Are there some birds that need yelled or do you have neighbors that play music too loud? We'd love to hear about it! Did you fill your diapers and want to complain about the poor quality of Chinese products? Please regale us!

So if you can barely see letters in this thread without zooming in, but refuse to give up your drivers license, we'd love to read what you have to tell us! Come on in, bring your Werther's candy, and folksy tales of how things used to be!

Last edited by kozzman555; 04-11-2023 at 10:12 PM..
kozzman555 is not part of the Right 53.kozzman555 is not part of the Right 53.kozzman555 is not part of the Right 53.kozzman555 is not part of the Right 53.kozzman555 is not part of the Right 53.kozzman555 is not part of the Right 53.kozzman555 is not part of the Right 53.kozzman555 is not part of the Right 53.kozzman555 is not part of the Right 53.kozzman555 is not part of the Right 53.kozzman555 is not part of the Right 53.
Old 02-18-2024, 09:45 PM   #526
MER

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayzkirk View Post
Anyone have any good remedies for Essential/Intention Tremors? One day, about eight years ago, I picked a pen to write a check and simply couldn't write readable handwriting. It's progressed to where using a mouse is difficult although I can still type and use a touchpad without issue. If I have a couple of drinks, it gets better although it's worse the next day.

Very frustrating; can't really work on electronics, play table tennis and my golf game has really suffered.

My grandfather had palsy and resting tremors; that hasn't happened yet. They say getting old isn't for sissies; they're wrong, it's for all of us...
Smoke pot.
No side effects.
Unless you count happiness.

https://www.essentialtremor.org/wp-c.../Handforth.pdf
Katipan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Katipan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Katipan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Katipan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Katipan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Katipan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Katipan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Katipan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Katipan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Katipan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Katipan is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-18-2024, 09:57 PM   #527
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katipan View Post
Smoke pot.
No side effects.
Unless you count happiness.

https://www.essentialtremor.org/wp-c.../Handforth.pdf
Tried it, makes it worse. I dumped the gummies because they made me feel really paranoid. Me and pot don't really seem to mesh well. It puts my mind into a very negative place.

Thanks for the suggestion; my doctor suggested some meds with horrible side effects. I've been trying meditation and exercise with limited results. Tremadone and other over the counter remedies don't do anything.
crayzkirk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.crayzkirk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.crayzkirk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.crayzkirk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.crayzkirk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.crayzkirk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.crayzkirk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.crayzkirk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.crayzkirk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.crayzkirk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.crayzkirk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 10:00 PM   #528
MER

Quote:
Tried it, makes it worse. I dumped the gummies because they made me feel really paranoid. Me and pot don't really seem to mesh well. It puts my mind into a very negative place.

Thanks for the suggestion; my doctor suggested some meds with horrible side effects. I've been trying meditation and exercise with limited results. Tremadone and other over the counter remedies don't do anything.
I'm so sorry, that sounds so awful and frustrating.

Did you try smoking it?
An edible high is biologically different.

Engineer brains get super uncomfortable when they feel sluggish. You can curate an inhaled high.
Katipan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Katipan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Katipan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Katipan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Katipan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Katipan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Katipan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Katipan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Katipan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Katipan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Katipan is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-18-2024, 10:31 PM   #529
The Maintenance Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieray View Post
We'll have to hook up.

What year?
Probably late C4 or an early C5. Don't want anything any older, and it has to fit in my budget. Oh and it has to be a manual.
Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 05:03 AM   #530
On Hiatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
I'm doing a major closet re-organization right now, and a critical question is whether I keep clothes that are a bit too small for me right now. The optimist in me says, yeah, I'll exercise this year and get back down to fit in those clothes, but I also recognize that some of them have been hearing me say that for five years. How long do you hang on to clothes that are 20 pounds too light for you?

Common sense is that if you haven't worn it for 13 months it's time to get rid of it.

Unless you are keeping it around hoping they come back in fashion.
Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.
Old 02-19-2024, 05:24 AM   #531
On Hiatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedChief View Post
I’ve got it damn good down here. Live on the water. 10K lb boat dock. 39 Palm trees in my yard. Huge pool and inground jacuzzi. House has tripled in value since we bought at the bottom of the market. We love it here. But….

The house insurance is normal. Hurricane and flood insurance are going through the roof. Once I retire, it’s a fixed income and savings alone. Some neighbors saw their hurricane insurance go up $17K in one year. Ours went up $5k. On a fixed budget, not wanting to use savings, a $17K hike in insurance scares us financially. Okay, we figure it out one year, what about the next $17k or more increase?

We can cash out and move out of the flood zone. Move to a good condo and look out at the open water as we sit on the couch. We can get to several housing options with no mortgage and no flood/hurricane insurance. But, we like it here. I’m sure we’d find a different place that we loved too. Decisions decisions..

How did you guys handle it? Probably most stayed in their existing house?

Interestingly enough I had this conversation with a person I work with who is contemplating retirement. (I retire the end of next month)

My wife and I planned for retirement the best we could....but honestly there is just too much that can occur to upset even the best plans.

We have been steadily downsizing for the past 3 years....slowly and intelligently. Doing it on a crash basis will only have you make decisions you may later regret. Things I had to come to terms with Doing all this;

My kids don't want so much of what my wife and I call valuable....except all my Chiefs stuff my daughter wants.

I don't need stuff I think I might need some time later....especially clothes. Have in your closet only clothes that fit your new lifestyle. I don't need all the business casual clothes any longer....plus as a creature of habit I wear a set of clothes I wear consistently.

The list of changes we made fit our lifestyle. That's really what you have to do.
Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.
Old 02-19-2024, 05:34 AM   #532
On Hiatus

One other interesting conversation.....and I have seen both pro and con on it

There are many Seniors who are ditching home ownership because of the rising costs. It's not for everyone but for those who fear the spector of very expensive home repairs or even the rising medical costs as you get older...some just don't want it. Throw in things like crazy HOA's and you have headaches some people just don't want in their "Golden years "
Old 02-19-2024, 05:49 AM   #533
On Hiatus

Also...if you are close to retirement learn the term Swedish Death Cleaning.
Old 02-19-2024, 05:59 AM   #534
Seeking the Truth daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosbonian View Post
Interestingly enough I had this conversation with a person I work with who is contemplating retirement. (I retire the end of next month)

My wife and I planned for retirement the best we could....but honestly there is just too much that can occur to upset even the best plans.

We have been steadily downsizing for the past 3 years....slowly and intelligently. Doing it on a crash basis will only have you make decisions you may later regret. Things I had to come to terms with Doing all this;

My kids don't want so much of what my wife and I call valuable....except all my Chiefs stuff my daughter wants.

I don't need stuff I think I might need some time later....especially clothes. Have in your closet only clothes that fit your new lifestyle. I don't need all the business casual clothes any longer....plus as a creature of habit I wear a set of clothes I wear consistently.

The list of changes we made fit our lifestyle. That's really what you have to do.
Hard to admit some people may not be able to retire.

Savings were set up based on assumptions that were accurate in the 80s/90's

The reality of the new economy is inflation is killing the value of your nestegg and the things you have and need to maintain are too expensive for what you have.

Many new retirees will slowly come to realize they are at best going to get by and will have to liquidate those things they value most.

Your paid for home has to be reassessed and ask if you can afford the taxes into the future. Property taxes will push older people into poverty unless something is done to remove that burden
HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-19-2024, 06:25 AM   #535
On Hiatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestChieffan View Post
Hard to admit some people may not be able to retire.

Savings were set up based on assumptions that were accurate in the 80s/90's

The reality of the new economy is inflation is killing the value of your nestegg and the things you have and need to maintain are too expensive for what you have.

Many new retirees will slowly come to realize they are at best going to get by and will have to liquidate those things they value most.

Your paid for home has to be reassessed and ask if you can afford the taxes into the future. Property taxes will push older people into poverty unless something is done to remove that burden
Exactly why some are padding their nest eggs withe the proceeds of a home sale.

Taxes....home maintenance and repairs....insurance costs....it will most assuredly cause many to put off retirement for years or even never retire.

I actually am retiring at age 67...a few years later than I wanted to....but that is the trade off necessary.

Plus I plan to pick up extra cash doing odd jobs and bringing in money where I can.
Old 02-19-2024, 06:40 AM   #536
Has a particular set of skills

Quote:
Anyone have any good remedies for Essential/Intention Tremors? One day, about eight years ago, I picked a pen to write a check and simply couldn't write readable handwriting. It's progressed to where using a mouse is difficult although I can still type and use a touchpad without issue. If I have a couple of drinks, it gets better although it's worse the next day.

Very frustrating; can't really work on electronics, play table tennis and my golf game has really suffered.

My grandfather had palsy and resting tremors; that hasn't happened yet. They say getting old isn't for sissies; they're wrong, it's for all of us...
Sorry no experience with that but I have sciatica which is really painful if that makes you feel better.
BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-19-2024, 06:48 AM   #537
Has a particular set of skills

Quote:
Exactly why some are padding their nest eggs withe the proceeds of a home sale.

Taxes....home maintenance and repairs....insurance costs....it will most assuredly cause many to put off retirement for years or even never retire.

I actually am retiring at age 67...a few years later than I wanted to....but that is the trade off necessary.

Plus I plan to pick up extra cash doing odd jobs and bringing in money where I can.
Yeah, same dilemma I wrote about earlier in the thread. I'm just a working stiff so I don't have $10 million in CD's to use if insurance and or taxes start to skyrocket. Sounds like a universal thing we are all facing in one way or another.
BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-19-2024, 07:05 AM   #538
On Hiatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedChief View Post
Yeah, same dilemma I wrote about earlier in the thread. I'm just a working stiff so I don't have $10 million in CD's to use if insurance and or taxes start to skyrocket. Sounds like a universal thing we are all facing in one way or another.

Don't be surprised if you start to see more of the "family " living that was popular at one time...retired parents having residence in the same house as one of the kids.

Plus you might see more of the detached in law quarters become popular. It's getting too expensive for some to survive.

One of the things I detest seeing these days are the financial guru's saying you will be eating cat food if you don't have millions in savings available

I get it will be costly in retirement but I do not plan on jet setting or traveling consistently in my retirement.
Old 02-19-2024, 07:15 AM   #539
Mindful Taoist German

Quote:
Don't be surprised if you start to see more of the "family " living that was popular at one time...retired parents having residence in the same house as one of the kids.

Plus you might see more of the detached in law quarters become popular. It's getting too expensive for some to survive.
It's a good thing. I grew up in a neighborhood with 7 or 8 close relatives in a 3 to 4 block radius. There were probably 20 houses in under a mile that I was somehow related to. As a kid and a teen that was a giant pain in the ass but it was also incredibly supportive. We had huge holiday get-togethers. Everyone had a small backyard garden with vegetables and different fruit trees and bushes.
That generation was truly living the dream. It was my parents generation that decided that taking off for college and spreading out across the country was a great idea. Most eventually moved back because having family and a support structure is important. It becomes even more important as you age and your ability to grit teeth and do it all yourself becomes more and more limited.
Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 3 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 07:25 AM   #540
MER

I was drug to Colorado, almost kicking and screaming, because I loved that idyllic life for my kids.

Like, I'm super happy they know what a real taco is but big trade offs for sure.