Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 05-21-2019, 10:15 AM  
In Search of a Life

No Chris Jones at OTA's.

O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:13 AM   #526
In Search of a Life

I think it's fair to say that Jones should become a little more of a well-rounded player if he wants Donald money.

And no way would I even consider a Fuller extension today.
BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:15 AM   #527
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunKC View Post
Same for Jones. If he has a huge year this season, we will pay roughly 10% more than now, plus if you pay him now, you have an extra year to use the cap increase which has been roughly $10 million added to each team every year.

They clearly want to pay him. Just get it over with because the problem we can’t afford to pay double-digit contracts to guys like Kendall Fuller who don’t truly deserve it.
Are they supposed to force Jones to sign? They've offered him what they feel comfortable doing, now what are they supposed to do?

For someone that killed Dorsey for what you have, you're pretty quick to wanna do it again.

Once you get to the point of paying guys what they "deserve" it's too late to gain any value.

The time to sign Fuller if you project him to be a truly good corner, is now coming off a so so year.
O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:17 AM   #528
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by staylor26 View Post
Why? Because they haven’t paid him yet? I think some of you are just overlooking the fact that this is what happens with pretty much all pass rushers these days. Pass rushers know their worth and these deals usually go down to the wire because of it.

Also, Jones was 24 last year. Let’s stop acting like he can’t get better. He won’t ever be a great run defender, but there’s still room for improvement.
The Chiefs have already paid their pass rusher though, in Frank Clark.

The Chiefs have him at 3 years, what 43 million? Why would they pay over that if it's a guy they're worried about being a disciplined player or whatever?
Old 07-16-2019, 08:20 AM   #529
In Search of a Life

That's probably the biggest reason they haven't paid him yet. Why would you pay over that when you've got him locked in for 3 years at that price?
Old 07-16-2019, 08:24 AM   #530
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.city View Post
Plus the positional stuff. We've got a highly paid DE, we've drafted quite a few interior DL lately as well.

We don't have much at corner, developmentally or what after this year.

Locking Fuller into a nice deal for him now, may end up looking great if he has a big year with improved safety play behind him.
There's a 'buy low' window on Fuller that I'd like to take advantage of.

The buy low window never opened on Jones because he wasn't eligible for an extension until this season and he already had his big sack year. Ultimately I think it's likely that we saw his high water mark for sacks and if there's any more development to be done here, it's gonna be as an every down, every play player.

And you just can't know if that light is gonna come on for him. So if you extend him now you may get him at a 10% discount over what his absolute top of the market could end up being after this season. With Fuller I think you can get him with a bigger discount over what his value would be after a good season.

It's just a bit of a bargain hunters mentality. If I can get Fuller on a deal this year that saves me $3-4 million/season over what I think he might be able to earn as a FA after this season, that'll be what I'm chasing because I don't think he's truly broken out yet and I think he has to tools to do it. Jones, OTOH, just doesn't offer quite as much opportunity there because he's coming off a career year and one that I don't think he's gonna duplicate in the 'flash stats'.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:27 AM   #531
In Search of a Life

When I see all the talk about "gotta lock this guy up early" it really seems like people don't really value the prove it years out of players.

Let some of these guys prove it in a pivotal year for this team....no way would they have got 2018 Dee Ford if they gave him a big deal early because of value. Potential big money is one hell of a motivator vs. I got this guaranteed cash and I'm untouchable for x years.
BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:29 AM   #532
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post
There's a 'buy low' window on Fuller that I'd like to take advantage of.

The buy low window never opened on Jones because he wasn't eligible for an extension until this season and he already had his big sack year. Ultimately I think it's likely that we saw his high water mark for sacks and if there's any more development to be done here, it's gonna be as an every down, every play player.

And you just can't know if that light is gonna come on for him. So if you extend him now you may get him at a 10% discount over what his absolute top of the market could end up being after this season. With Fuller I think you can get him with a bigger discount over what his value would be after a good season.

It's just a bit of a bargain hunters mentality. If I can get Fuller on a deal this year that saves me $3-4 million/season over what I think he might be able to earn as a FA after this season, that'll be what I'm chasing because I don't think he's truly broken out yet and I think he has to tools to do it. Jones, OTOH, just doesn't offer quite as much opportunity there because he's coming off a career year and one that I don't think he's gonna duplicate in the 'flash stats'.
It would just depend on what you could get Fuller locked in at. They don't seem to want to go over what Jones would make this year plus 2 tag years in guaranteed money, which is probably the right move. But, they need to be ready to walk away or trade him if he gets cranky about it.

I think it's kinda shitty sometimes for these dudes to want to get paid full market price early. If you're gonna go the Kelce route and sign early, the team is gonna want some value built into it and it's not gonna reset the market unless you're just....well Mahomes.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:30 AM   #533
Hockey Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanBusby View Post
When I see all the talk about "gotta lock this guy up early" it really seems like people don't really value the prove it years out of players.

Let some of these guys prove it in a pivotal year for this team....no way would they have got 2018 Dee Ford if they gave him a big deal early because of value. Potential big money is one hell of a motivator vs. I got this guaranteed cash and I'm untouchable for x years.
Yea it's because now people are scared of having to pay guys, we are going to lose some players, probably should accept that.

I dunno if I feel comfortable making Chris Jones one of our cornerstones personally.
Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:33 AM   #534
Andy Reid Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.city View Post
Are they supposed to force Jones to sign? They've offered him what they feel comfortable doing, now what are they supposed to do?

For someone that killed Dorsey for what you have, you're pretty quick to wanna do it again.

Once you get to the point of paying guys what they "deserve" it's too late to gain any value.

The time to sign Fuller if you project him to be a truly good corner, is now coming off a so so year.
Veach has done a nice job with contracts.

Sammy and Honey Badger have 2 year deals with essentially a “team option” for a clean way out in year 3.

Clark is on a 3 year deal with a pretty solid way out in year 4 & 5.

Veach is paying guys in their prime. Dorsey gave a huge contract to a 30 year old Tamba on the way down. He also gave a 6 year contract to Berry.

That’s what ****ed us.
RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:34 AM   #535
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecca View Post
Yea it's because now people are scared of having to pay guys, we are going to lose some players, probably should accept that.

I dunno if I feel comfortable making Chris Jones one of our cornerstones personally.
Exactly. This team is going to lose some players and there's nothing that can be done about it. Beats having a QB not worth giving money to.

As for Jones, I think extending him with lesser guaranteed money is an alright decision. If he wants more guaranteed money, make him prove he can do what Daly and Spagnuolo demand.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:37 AM   #536
Andy Reid Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanBusby View Post

Think a lot of it is players wanting to be on themselves to make more money, which you can’t really blame them.

Players with injury concerns like Carson Wentz sign early, but they have to.
RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:40 AM   #537
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecca View Post

And that's where I've been.

It's not that I'm 'anti' Jones. I think I like the guy. But I absolutely hate the freelancer shit and if people are saying "Well he just decided to **** the scheme because he was mad at Sutton" well that does him precisely zero favors in my eyes. You can't say "hang my teammates, I'm gett'n mine..."

He has flashes where he's capable of doing things that few in the NFL are capable of. But those guys also don't have the glaring holes in their game he does (run defense) or the tendency towards coasting here and there.

He's a very good player who unquestionably deserves to get paid like a very good player somewhere. But he's not a great player yet and he's demanding great player money to be the cornerstone of this defense long-term. I'm not sure that's something I'm okay doing right now.

Especially when it doesn't appear that he's offering any kind of break at all over what the franchise tag would pay him.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:40 AM   #538
Hockey Town

Personally I think the smart thing to do might be to just play this year out and then tag him next year and then let him walk....
Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:42 AM   #539
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunKC View Post
Veach has done a nice job with contracts.

Sammy and Honey Badger have 2 year deals with essentially a “team option” for a clean way out in year 3.

Clark is on a 3 year deal with a pretty solid way out in year 4 & 5.

Veach is paying guys in their prime. Dorsey gave a huge contract to a 30 year old Tamba on the way down. He also gave a 6 year contract to Berry.

That’s what ****ed us.
They can do all that because of the current QB deal and situation though.

The short year deals make it easier, but they're able to do that because they have a lot of money on hand. That may not be the case here in a year or two.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:42 AM   #540
Hockey Town

Frank Clark is the cornerstone player of the defense and honestly he's a better overall player because he can do everything.

I know people like Jones but honestly considering we're likely to get a discount on Hill, walking on Jones is probably the smart money bet.