Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 11-18-2018, 05:22 PM  
Beyond the Rapids

"All-star" officiating crew for Rams-Chiefs game

NFL ups intensity with all-star officials for Rams-Chiefs game

Kevin Seifert
ESPN.com NFL Nation

The NFL took the unusual step this week of assigning an "all-star" officiating crew to the most highly anticipated game of the season, adding to the playofflike frenzy for Monday night's matchup between the Kansas City Chiefs and Los Angeles Rams.

Referee Clete Blakeman will work the game with only two members of his regular crew, umpire Ramon George and down judge Dana McKenzie. The other five officials -- including Jim Lapetina, who will handle replay -- were plucked from four other crews.

The approach is similar to how the NFL assigns officials to playoff games, a process that is based on performance and seniority rather than crew. But it is rarely, if ever, employed before the postseason. Officials typically work on the same eight-person crews throughout the regular season to maximize continuity and familiarity among members.

Individual crew members are occasionally juggled for health or scheduling reasons. But a series of actions this season have indicated the league is moving away from the consistent crew concept, in favor of a more aggressive administration of officiating. Earlier this season, the league bounced down judge Hugo Cruz among four crews before ultimately making him its first-ever official to be fired for performance during the season.

NFL spokesman Michael Signora confirmed Sunday that "there is a rotation amongst the crews throughout the season." Signora did not provide details on the decision to overhaul Blakeman's crew for Monday night's game.

An officiating source said Sunday that the five officials added to Monday night's crew are all highly respected and have performed well this season.

The Chiefs-Rams game, originally scheduled to be played in Mexico City before it was relocated to Los Angeles, is a rare matchup. Since 1970, there have been only four other games pitting teams with one or fewer losses this late in the season. And according to the Elias Sports Bureau, this is the latest matchup ever between two teams averaging at least 33 points per game.

The following is the full crew for Monday night's game, as listed on the official flip card published by the NFL, with the officials' permanent referee in parentheses:

Referee: Clete Blakeman

Umpire: Ramon George (Blakeman)

Down judge: Dana McKenzie (Blakeman)

Line judge: Rusty Baynes (John Hussey)

Field judge: Dale Shaw (Jerome Boger)

Side judge: Brad Freeman (Clay Martin)

Back judge: Tony Steratore (Boger)

Replay: Jim Lapetina (Brad Allen)

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...ff-rams-chiefs
Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-21-2018, 03:23 PM   #496
It was not a fair catch

The only way to put an end to this shit is to win the Super Bowl.

Time to move on.
displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-21-2018, 03:38 PM   #497
WhatUneed2Hear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabblerouser View Post
All that + Dee Ford getting put in a headlock, Donkeykong Suh's punching Mahomes et al
What about the 2 horrid block in the back penalties? it's like the energizer bunny of shit.
Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-21-2018, 04:15 PM   #498
MVP

**** that game! I get to a point where I am over it but then I read these threads and my blood gets boiling again. Anybody who doesn't see what was going on in that game is ****ing naïve.
ARROW2 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.ARROW2 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.ARROW2 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.ARROW2 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.ARROW2 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.ARROW2 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.ARROW2 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.ARROW2 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.ARROW2 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.ARROW2 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.ARROW2 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.
Old 11-21-2018, 04:28 PM   #499
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOp View Post
If the Chargers are within the division title on the Thursday night game...it'll make the Patriots/Rams officiating look legit. Maybe the NFL will create a "nostalgia" crew headed by Triplette....
The league doesn't give a shit about the Chargers. Nor do refs usually come out like that against the home team. This game was a very unique situation being LA and all this first responder stuff.
suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-21-2018, 06:49 PM   #500
Bring it on Ahab!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabblerouser View Post
All that + Dee Ford getting put in a headlock, Donkeykong Suh's punching Mahomes et al
Suckadong Suh punched Mahomes?

The ****!? I didn't see THAT!
WhiteWhale is obviously part of the inner Circle.WhiteWhale is obviously part of the inner Circle.WhiteWhale is obviously part of the inner Circle.WhiteWhale is obviously part of the inner Circle.WhiteWhale is obviously part of the inner Circle.WhiteWhale is obviously part of the inner Circle.WhiteWhale is obviously part of the inner Circle.WhiteWhale is obviously part of the inner Circle.WhiteWhale is obviously part of the inner Circle.WhiteWhale is obviously part of the inner Circle.WhiteWhale is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:10 PM   #501
sorta mod-ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWhale View Post
Suckadong Suh punched Mahomes?

The ****!? I didn't see THAT!
Gave him a hammer blow on top of his head/face as he was being tackled. Pretty ****ing blatant.
Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:20 PM   #502
Supporter

Quote:
Judging by the length of this thread I'm going to assume others noticed the several false starts by the tackle as well as the illegal blocks?

Houston probably had hand prints all over his back from guys hitting him from behind... which is apparently not a penalty now.

Or are we just talking about how the refs spotted the rams a 2 touchdown lead?
You have battered fan syndrome/Fish-Cochise

lalalala lalalala, Santa Claus is coming to town, nothing to see here. Just a couple minor errors by the officials lalalalala, lallalala
HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:50 PM   #503
(Sir/Yes Sir/Aye Aye Sir)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasta Giant Meatball View Post
Give them each Haglunds..
I think they are the very definition of Haglunds...
GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:53 PM   #504
Arrowhead Trail of Tears

TribalElder is obviously part of the inner Circle.TribalElder is obviously part of the inner Circle.TribalElder is obviously part of the inner Circle.TribalElder is obviously part of the inner Circle.TribalElder is obviously part of the inner Circle.TribalElder is obviously part of the inner Circle.TribalElder is obviously part of the inner Circle.TribalElder is obviously part of the inner Circle.TribalElder is obviously part of the inner Circle.TribalElder is obviously part of the inner Circle.TribalElder is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:57 PM   #505

Quote:
Originally Posted by TribalElder View Post
The NFL's reply = "So "
GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-21-2018, 08:12 PM   #506
Bring it on Ahab!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiEd View Post
You have battered fan syndrome/Fish-Cochise

lalalala lalalala, Santa Claus is coming to town, nothing to see here. Just a couple minor errors by the officials lalalalala, lallalala
Well, I don't think i'ts a massive conspiracy nor do I think the NFL is 'rigged'.

I think, sometimes, the NFL has results they desire and they have officials pull strings to ensure those results occur.

It's not something that frequently targets the chiefs. I don't think the Chiefs were 'targeted' here.

After the sob story in the pregame, the pining about Goff's firefighter daddy, and all the other emotional ploys caused me to predict the officials would try to prop up the rams, seeing it as the more marketable story.

It was worse than I expected and any time I predict the future It tends to cause me to lend validity to any theory or hypothesis that my prediction was based on. I expected the refs to pull some shit, and it was easily one of the worst officiated games I've ever seen. It could be a coincidence sure.. but geezus that's one HELL of a coincidence. Christ, there were like three penalties on Goff's TD run and this is the THIRD TIME this year the refs have called awful one sided games (pittsburgh, NE, and LA). Bad officiating is more convincing when it's swinging both ways. When it goes one way it's just biased officiating, which should be unacceptable. This crew embarrassed the NFL on Monday. I'm skeptical such one sided officiating was 'accidentally' that biased. It was bad.
WhiteWhale is obviously part of the inner Circle.WhiteWhale is obviously part of the inner Circle.WhiteWhale is obviously part of the inner Circle.WhiteWhale is obviously part of the inner Circle.WhiteWhale is obviously part of the inner Circle.WhiteWhale is obviously part of the inner Circle.WhiteWhale is obviously part of the inner Circle.WhiteWhale is obviously part of the inner Circle.WhiteWhale is obviously part of the inner Circle.WhiteWhale is obviously part of the inner Circle.WhiteWhale is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 08:24 PM   #507

Quote:
Well, I don't think i'ts a massive conspiracy nor do I think the NFL is 'rigged'.

I think, sometimes, the NFL has results they desire and they have officials pull strings to ensure those results occur.

It's not something that frequently targets the chiefs. I don't think the Chiefs were 'targeted' here.

After the sob story in the pregame, the pining about Goff's firefighter daddy, and all the other emotional ploys caused me to predict the officials would try to prop up the rams, seeing it as the more marketable story.

It was worse than I expected and any time I predict the future It tends to cause me to lend validity to any theory or hypothesis that my prediction was based on. I expected the refs to pull some shit, and it was easily one of the worst officiated games I've ever seen. It could be a coincidence sure.. but geezus that's one HELL of a coincidence. Christ, there were like three penalties on Goff's TD run and this is the THIRD TIME this year the refs have called awful one sided games (pittsburgh, NE, and LA). Bad officiating is more convincing when it's swinging both ways. When it goes one way it's just biased officiating, which should be unacceptable. This crew embarrassed the NFL on Monday. I'm skeptical such one sided officiating was 'accidentally' that biased. It was bad.
Maybe Kansas City just doesn't have enough tragic stories to win the favor of NFL officials!

Maybe we could run a weekly saga of Berry's list of issues that keep him from playing? Might that garner some non-existent unnecessary roughness calls against the opposition?

Again, I'm sure the NFL is reading the rantings of a small market, fly-over team with Hunt as an owner, and ing!
Old 11-21-2018, 08:28 PM   #508
Bring it on Ahab!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDayz View Post
Maybe Kansas City just doesn't have enough tragic stories to win the favor of NFL officials!

Maybe we could run a weekly saga of Berry's list of issues that keep him from playing? Might that garner some non-existent unnecessary roughness calls against the opposition?

Again, I'm sure the NFL is reading the rantings of a small market, fly-over team with Hunt as an owner, and ing!
In this context WHO is 'the NFL'? You're talking about it like it's a sentient entity and not just a collection of owners with a commissioner.

KC HAS HAD the favor of officials in the past. It's game to game a lot of times. This time it was "Oh the rams had to train in another state and then had the fires and some of them lost their homes... did you know Goff's dad is a firefighter? What a courageous team!

It's not like the whole NFL is conspiring against the Chiefs dude.
Old 11-21-2018, 08:31 PM   #509
Arrowhead Trail of Tears

Quote:

That is what rigged means
TribalElder is obviously part of the inner Circle.TribalElder is obviously part of the inner Circle.TribalElder is obviously part of the inner Circle.TribalElder is obviously part of the inner Circle.TribalElder is obviously part of the inner Circle.TribalElder is obviously part of the inner Circle.TribalElder is obviously part of the inner Circle.TribalElder is obviously part of the inner Circle.TribalElder is obviously part of the inner Circle.TribalElder is obviously part of the inner Circle.TribalElder is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-21-2018, 08:41 PM   #510
MVP

During the first 19 minutes of the game, Kansas City was flagged nine times for 92 yards while the Rams were penalized exactly zero times.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/a...-against-rams/
BlackOp is obviously part of the inner Circle.BlackOp is obviously part of the inner Circle.BlackOp is obviously part of the inner Circle.BlackOp is obviously part of the inner Circle.BlackOp is obviously part of the inner Circle.BlackOp is obviously part of the inner Circle.BlackOp is obviously part of the inner Circle.BlackOp is obviously part of the inner Circle.BlackOp is obviously part of the inner Circle.BlackOp is obviously part of the inner Circle.BlackOp is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote