Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 09-24-2004, 08:25 AM  
Supporter

Handy-Man Corner

I'm tired of bad Chiefs news.....

I thought it would be a good idea for a thread on the Handy-Man.

Do you have any Home remedies, gadgets you've made, advice on car repair, home maint, sollutions to kill weeds in your yard, bugs in your garden?

Use Coke to clean your batteries? That type of stuff.
Home made floor dry?
Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:25 PM   #481
The Maintenance Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewChief
My brother told me the same thing. He also suggested throwing some mudinto the primer, throwing it on with a shaggy roller, and letting that cover the imperfections. One problem was that the stupid studs weren't on 16" layout, so I had to do a ton of cutting on the drywall. In addition, stuff just wasn't square, so the drywall really wasn't put up correctly. Next time, I'll know that it pays to put the drywall up nicely, even if you have to nail in some extra bracing and such to make it happen. Actually, I don't have to know that, because next time I won't be doing it. All I could think the entire time I was messing with the drywall was that I could drive down to Lowe's and pick up a truck full of migrants, and give them $100 bucks; they'd to the job better and quicker than I ever could.
Ugh, why weren't the studs on a 16" layout? Does your house date back to the days of plaster & lathe walls?
Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:30 PM   #482
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Carlson the Bugeater
Ugh, why weren't the studs on a 16" layout? Does your house date back to the days of plaster & lathe walls?
Nah, it's a 50s ranch. I'm not sure what's up with that studs. They appeared almost random in their layout, heh. I think one problem might have been that it's a pretty small space (8'x5') that's also pretty cut up. There was a window, recessed shower, two doors, sink, toilet, gas heater, and medicine cabinet within all of that. So with all the headers and extra box framing for the heater, medicine cabinet, and sinks, there wasn't really room to get a good 16" layout going. Everytime they'd try to span 16", there'd be a header or a framing for a medicine cabinet or shower to deal with.
NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:40 PM   #483
The Maintenance Guy

Quote:
Nah, it's a 50s ranch. I'm not sure what's up with that studs. They appeared almost random in their layout, heh. I think one problem might have been that it's a pretty small space (8'x5') that's also pretty cut up. There was a window, recessed shower, two doors, sink, toilet, gas heater, and medicine cabinet within all of that. So with all the headers and extra box framing for the heater, medicine cabinet, and sinks, there wasn't really room to get a good 16" layout going. Everytime they'd try to span 16", there'd be a header or a framing for a medicine cabinet or shower to deal with.
Drywall was still in its infancy in the '50s, so they probably didn't have much experience with it yet. Having it all cut up sure doesn't help either, I don't blame you for hating it after that.
Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:11 PM   #484
Supporter

Quote:
All I could think the entire time I was messing with the drywall was that I could drive down to Lowe's and pick up a truck full of migrants, and give them $100 bucks; they'd to the job better and quicker than I ever could.

Buy American!
RJ Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.RJ Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.RJ Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.RJ Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.RJ Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.RJ Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.RJ Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.RJ Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.RJ Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.RJ Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.RJ Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:23 PM   #485
Phobia

Nice job, dude. I hope you put a Champion toilet in there.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:26 PM   #486
Supporter

I'm not much of a handyman at all. (Hence my asking for advice)

I could use a good weed killer. I live in a townhouse that has a small patio. It's surrounded by a privacy fence.

I'd like to buy something that will kill the vegetation for good in a 3' X 6' area.

I plan on throwing down some cedar chips or something afterwards.

I suppose I could just pick something, but I thought I'd ask.
KcMizzou is obviously part of the inner Circle.KcMizzou is obviously part of the inner Circle.KcMizzou is obviously part of the inner Circle.KcMizzou is obviously part of the inner Circle.KcMizzou is obviously part of the inner Circle.KcMizzou is obviously part of the inner Circle.KcMizzou is obviously part of the inner Circle.KcMizzou is obviously part of the inner Circle.KcMizzou is obviously part of the inner Circle.KcMizzou is obviously part of the inner Circle.KcMizzou is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:28 PM   #487
Phobia

I presume you want to kill everything.

Roundup is your product.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:30 PM   #488
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
I presume you want to kill everything.

Roundup is your product.
Ty, sir.
KcMizzou is obviously part of the inner Circle.KcMizzou is obviously part of the inner Circle.KcMizzou is obviously part of the inner Circle.KcMizzou is obviously part of the inner Circle.KcMizzou is obviously part of the inner Circle.KcMizzou is obviously part of the inner Circle.KcMizzou is obviously part of the inner Circle.KcMizzou is obviously part of the inner Circle.KcMizzou is obviously part of the inner Circle.KcMizzou is obviously part of the inner Circle.KcMizzou is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:33 PM   #489
Supporter

nice work NewC..dolph

Depending on how things shake out....I may have a huge project to show in transition.

kcm....there are generic "roundup" weed killers that will kill everything...pick it up at walmart or a true value type store. Put down a couple of layers of newspaper, if not plastic under your cedar mulch. It'll help keep stuff from growing up through.
Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:34 PM   #490
Phobia

I'm sure there's cheaper, off-brand versions of Roundup but Roundup is the best known brand for a reason. It will work.

A good home remedy is sugar. Lay down a bag of sugar in that area and it will kill any vegetation.

I've also heard 1 part vinegar, 1 part citrus oil, and 8 parts water will do it.

I dunno. I've never used the home remedies myself.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:36 PM   #491
The Maintenance Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KcMizzou
I'm not much of a handyman at all. (Hence my asking for advice)

I could use a good weed killer. I live in a townhouse that has a small patio. It's surrounded by a privacy fence.

I'd like to buy something that will kill the vegetation for good in a 3' X 6' area.

I plan on throwing down some cedar chips or something afterwards.

I suppose I could just pick something, but I thought I'd ask.
The only thing that will kill it for good is pavement. Roundup will kill anything except heavy brush, and is good for about six weeks or so. Putting weedblocking fabric down under the wood chips will help slow things a bit too.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:39 PM   #492
Supporter

Boiling water will do it....just be careful.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:39 PM   #493
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
A good home remedy is sugar. Lay down a bag of sugar in that area and it will kill any vegetation.
Really... that's interesting. I'm curious as to how it works.

Anyway, I'll probably go with the Roundup, and put down some plastic (like Iowanian mentioned).. I can get that at work.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:42 PM   #494
Phobia

Quote:

Anyway, I'll probably go with the Roundup, and put down some plastic (like Iowanian mentioned).. I can get that at work.
Well, a little sugar is actually good for plants. It's that sugar overload that will kill them.

Sugars get microbes into high gear. The sugar actually improves the health of your soil long term, but will cause so much microbe action that the plant/root will overload and die.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:44 PM   #495
The Maintenance Guy

Quote:

While plastic is highly effective, it will trap moisture underneath it and can become a haven for mold. The guy who owned my home before me used it, and I've pulled some of it back up and it was really nasty underneath. The weed blocking fabrics are breathable, but consequently, they aren't as effective.