Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 07:42 AM  
Cast Iron Jedi

What's for dinner? Here's mine... (Part 2)

What you got?
Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.

Old 04-21-2015, 05:29 PM   #4726
Trippin' BAWLZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasta Giant Meatball View Post
Hot pocket or Totino Pizza Rolls for dinner?
Crossing my fingers for Pizza rolls
DaNewGuy 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.DaNewGuy 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.DaNewGuy 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.DaNewGuy 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.DaNewGuy 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.DaNewGuy 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.DaNewGuy 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.DaNewGuy 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.DaNewGuy 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.DaNewGuy 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.DaNewGuy 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:06 PM   #4727
(Sir/Yes Sir/Aye Aye Sir)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucEyedPea View Post
What color plates should I use tonight?

I am making salmon with a creamy dill sauce. It would look pretty on a nice spring green colored plate. But I don't have one. I want one solid color. All I have is black or white for that. So which one folks?

This is a major decision for me.

L.M.A.O
Black. It's salmon, so black will be a great color contrast.
GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:22 PM   #4728
Yum! Buc Marshmellows!

Had to use up last night's leftover Basmati rice and asparagus. So thought salmon would go well with it. Also needed to use up pistachio's and green apple since Easter. So went with that same salad with apples, pistachios and greens in the same home made orange, Dijon vinaigrette.

Iced tea. No more wine for awhile. Been drinkin' too much of that lately. No more desserts for awhile too. Waist band feels a bit snug.

Nice evening to eat outside on the lanai by the pool too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Salmon& SaladRSF.png
Views:	145
Size:	447.1 KB
ID:	109648   Click image for larger version

Name:	SalmonRSF.png
Views:	131
Size:	391.5 KB
ID:	109649   Click image for larger version

Name:	SaladRS.png
Views:	133
Size:	487.0 KB
ID:	109650  
BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:20 AM   #4729

One of my employees just forwarded this to me, will try with a few twists....not going to grill, going to go the cast iron route....

Sorry that it being long.

GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:22 AM   #4730
Cast Iron Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDayz View Post
One of my employees just forwarded this to me, will try with a few twists....not going to grill, going to go the cast iron route....

Bold the important parts.
Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:34 AM   #4731

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! View Post
Bold the important parts.
  • Two steaks go in vacuum bag with 4 tsps of non-MSG Fish Sauce
  • Bag in fridge for 3 days (rolling daily
  • On day three steaks come out of bag, wrap in cheese cloth, placed on wire rack (in pan), and back in fridge for 3 more days
  • On day 6 they come out of cheese cloth
  • Grill (or do what you do with steak)

Because this is about dry-aging in a week vs. 28 days, I'm not going to "grill" (direct, indirect, or otherwise), I'm going to just go cast-iron as I always have.

What they hell, it's worth a try...

Old 04-23-2015, 08:41 AM   #4732
Cast Iron Jedi

Quote:
  • Two steaks go in vacuum bag with 4 tsps of non-MSG Fish Sauce
  • Bag in fridge for 3 days (rolling daily
  • On day three steaks come out of bag, wrap in cheese cloth, placed on wire rack (in pan), and back in fridge for 3 more days
  • On day 6 they come out of cheese cloth
  • Grill (or do what you do with steak)

Because this is about dry-aging in a week vs. 28 days, I'm not going to "grill" (direct, indirect, or otherwise), I'm going to just go cast-iron as I always have.

What they hell, it's worth a try...
Rep.

I did end up watching it, and I'm intrigued, as well. It makes sense. This is like a combo of dry age + the dry brine. The salt in the fish sauce seasons the steak like you would normally, but the anchovy in the fish sauce is packed with umami (glutamate), which is that funk you get when you dry age. Add the 3-day cheese cloth wrap and you help to dehydrate the meat a little, mimicking some of the dry aging process.

And I opt for the cast iron method, too. I've had a lot of luck doing ATK's oven method - they say the 10-20 minutes in the oven actually is a speed method that allegedly kicks the enzymes into high gear. Basically, you put the steaks in a 200-degree oven until they hit 90-100 degrees, then finish with a 60-second sear on each side. It really seems to render a more tender hunk of meat.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:44 AM   #4733
Cast Iron Jedi

Quote:

One other thing... 140 is not medium rare. And if he waited to sear until he hit 140, his final temp was probably between 145 and 150.

If he was shooting for medium rare like he says he was, he needed that thermometer set to 120 or 125. Sear, then rest. Carry-over would take him between 130 and 135.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:52 AM   #4734

Quote:
One other thing... 140 is not medium rare. And if he waited to sear until he hit 140, his final temp was probably between 145 and 150.

If he was shooting for medium rare like he says he was, he needed that thermometer set to 120 or 125. Sear, then rest. Carry-over would take him between 130 and 135.
I agree, everything in the video seemed fine until he cut into it, then it look WAAAY overdone IMO. But I already knew I wasn't going to grill it so I blew-off his messing up a week's worth of work in 12 minutes.

And I agree, ATK's method might happen this weekend, and this one the next..

Old 04-23-2015, 08:55 AM   #4735
Cast Iron Jedi

Quote:
I agree, everything in the video seemed fine until he cut into it, then it look WAAAY overdone IMO. But I already knew I wasn't going to grill it so I blew-off his messing up a week's worth of work in 12 minutes.

And I agree, ATK's method might happen this weekend, and this one the next..
This will likely have to wait till I get back from Hawaii, but I'll give it a shot.

And I like to use the vacuum sealer for this, but it can't handle liquids. Think I may freeze a couple fish sauce cubes.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:02 AM   #4736

Quote:
This will likely have to wait till I get back from Hawaii, but I'll give it a shot.

And I like to use the vacuum sealer for this, but it can't handle liquids. Think I may freeze a couple fish sauce cubes.
I have a vacuum marinator (Sp.) that has a liquid catch that works really well for this kind of thing. It's a bit odd, but once it get it right it's awesome.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:04 AM   #4737
Cast Iron Jedi

Quote:
I have a vacuum marinator (Sp.) that has a liquid catch that works really well for this kind of thing. It's a bit odd, but once it get it right it's awesome.
My sealer has one too, but once it starts sucking the liquid up to where it seals, the seal rarely gets really solid. Then it leaks and/or air gets in. Freezing will take care of that.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:07 AM   #4738

Quote:
Rep.

I did end up watching it, and I'm intrigued, as well. It makes sense. This is like a combo of dry age + the dry brine. The salt in the fish sauce seasons the steak like you would normally, but the anchovy in the fish sauce is packed with umami (glutamate), which is that funk you get when you dry age. Add the 3-day cheese cloth wrap and you help to dehydrate the meat a little, mimicking some of the dry aging process.

And I opt for the cast iron method, too. I've had a lot of luck doing ATK's oven method - they say the 10-20 minutes in the oven actually is a speed method that allegedly kicks the enzymes into high gear. Basically, you put the steaks in a 200-degree oven until they hit 90-100 degrees, then finish with a 60-second sear on each side. It really seems to render a more tender hunk of meat.
Can you bump ATK's, I can't find it...

Old 04-23-2015, 09:15 AM   #4739
Cast Iron Jedi

Quote:
Can you bump ATK's, I can't find it...
This works with any steak, you just need adjust the time spent in the oven. I find if I use a lower oven temp, I get more leeway in getting the right internal temp. I've even done this with your favorites, the chuck eyes.

And of course, I do my normal 24- to 48-hour salt before I cook.

Quote:
INGREDIENTS

2 boneless strip steaks (1 1/2 to 1 3/4 inches thick (about 1 pound each)
Kosher salt and ground black pepper
1 tablespoon vegetable oil

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 275 degrees. Pat steaks dry with paper towel. Cut each steak in half vertically to create four 8-ounce steaks. Season entire surface of steaks liberally with salt and pepper; gently press sides of steaks until uniform 1 1/2 inches thick. Place steaks on wire rack set in rimmed baking sheet; transfer baking sheet to oven. Cook until instant-read thermometer inserted in center of steak registers 90 to 95 degrees for rare to medium-rare, 20 to 25 minutes, or 100 to 105 degrees for medium, 25 to 30 minutes.

2. Heat oil in 12-inch heavy-bottomed skillet over high heat until smoking. Place steaks in skillet and sear steaks until well-browned and crusty, about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, lifting once halfway through to redistribute fat underneath each steak. (Reduce heat if fond begins to burn.) Using tongs, turn steaks and cook until well browned on second side, 2 to 2 1/2 minutes. Transfer all steaks to wire cooling rack and reduce heat under pan to medium. Use tongs to stand 2 steaks on their sides. Holding steaks together, return to skillet and sear on all sides until browned, about 1 1/2 minutes. Repeat with remaining 2 steaks.

3. Transfer steaks to wire cooling rack and let rest, loosely tented with foil, for 10 minutes while preparing pan sauce. Arrange steaks on individual plates and spoon sauce over steaks; serve immediately.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:23 AM   #4740
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucEyedPea View Post
Had to use up last night's leftover Basmati rice and asparagus. So thought salmon would go well with it. Also needed to use up pistachio's and green apple since Easter. So went with that same salad with apples, pistachios and greens in the same home made orange, Dijon vinaigrette.

Iced tea. No more wine for awhile. Been drinkin' too much of that lately. No more desserts for awhile too. Waist band feels a bit snug.

Nice evening to eat outside on the lanai by the pool too.
I saw your post that mentioned the creamy dill sauce. I made a version of such last night that was amazing and much more healthy than with sour cream.
Vanilla Greek Yogurt
Dijon mustard
olive oil
chopped dill
grated garlic

heat in a sauce pan. Brush on salmon when you have about 15 minutes left of grilling/baking the fish. It's amazing.
tooge is obviously part of the inner Circle.tooge is obviously part of the inner Circle.tooge is obviously part of the inner Circle.tooge is obviously part of the inner Circle.tooge is obviously part of the inner Circle.tooge is obviously part of the inner Circle.tooge is obviously part of the inner Circle.tooge is obviously part of the inner Circle.tooge is obviously part of the inner Circle.tooge is obviously part of the inner Circle.tooge is obviously part of the inner Circle.

Closed Thread