Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 06-27-2018, 07:09 AM  
Seeking the Truth daily

Remodeling.....the nasty begins

We ripped a three level deck off the house and put on an entirely new 2 levels and has gone well....We ripped out 6 windows, redid them, all looks fantastic. And yesterday we emptied the kitchen cabinets. Today is demo the kitchen day....now shit gets real as they say. Will have electrician in weekend to do his magic, then drywall and get started on that part, all has to be done for Cabinet install July 16, hope countertops can do a 10 day turn and give s our life back.

Marrried since 73 but its like walkin on eggshells round these parts....

Survival tips?
HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-27-2018, 05:05 PM   #31
The Maintenance Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
So I'm assuming this is a combination of a Pomeranian and Chihuahua. I've never had a Chihuahua so I don't know if they suck, but Pomeranians are the pillowbitergiest little bastards to grace planet earth. Every time I see one of those stupid ****ing dogs I want to punt it to the moon. My grandma had a Pomeranian named Peppy. He was an awful, awful dog.
Correct. And yes, Pomeranians are awful, we had one for a short time years ago that was a straight up asshole. Luckily (for the dog) the Mrs found some sucker to pawn him off to even though she spent several hundred dollars on the useless bastard. This one isn't quite as bad, but still a shithead.
Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-27-2018, 05:12 PM   #32
Shit

We started with just changing the bathroom around to be wheel chair accessible.

My wife was 4 months pregnant at the time so we thought we'd add a couple bedrooms.

We ended up with a bedroom turned into a bathroom , old bathroom a hall. 2 new bedrooms downstairs, and a ****ing whole second floor
SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-27-2018, 05:46 PM   #33
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAUTO View Post

My wife was 4 months pregnant at the time so we thought we'd add a couple bedrooms.

We ended up with a bedroom turned into a bathroom , old bathroom a hall. 2 new bedrooms downstairs, and a ****ing whole second floor
Start pulling on the string, and the entire ball of yarn starts to unravel.

“Might as well do it while we have everything tore up”. Words that are good advice, but makes a wallet cringe.
notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-27-2018, 05:58 PM   #34
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
We have a true old school split and the laundry is in the basement. We also had a half bath off our dining room with an adjacent oversized closet. Two doorways that just looked stupid and the dipshit that owned this place before us thought they were some sort of master plumber, but they definitely weren't and this half bath was a nightmare. So we knocked out the wall between the two rooms and have been working on a completely new bath with laundry room attached.

This shit sucks. And has ruined my good vibes for the last like 7 weekends in a row. Tore it down to the studs and ran new plumbing and electrical, the whole shit works. She thinks she wants to tackle our dated kitchen next, but I might end up murdering her if she ropes me into another project within the year.

I am no master crafstman so her poor dad has been down here helping me with everything and hating his life as well.
Take bids on the kitchen from contractors. That will shut her up.

Realistically though, you want the cabinets straight and level and it takes some skill and technique. Other than setting the tub in a bathroom, nothing in a bathroom is as unforgiving as mounting cabinets. Especially if nothing is straight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAUTO View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious View Post
Start pulling on the string, and the entire ball of yarn starts to unravel.

“Might as well do it while we have everything tore up”. Words that are good advice, but makes a wallet cringe.
Yeah, any time dad gets the bright idea to change something around at the farm or some house besides his, I immediately ask him if he's ready to drop 6 figures. That usually cools his jets. Because he knows I'm right.
Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-27-2018, 06:03 PM   #35
In Search of a Life

We ran into this problem when we were looking to build.

I had a budget of 500k total for everything. The wife met with a builder then an architect.

The. She designed what she wanted and it ended up being well over a mil.

Long story short we didn’t build
O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-27-2018, 07:43 PM   #36
Seeking the Truth daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by scho63 View Post
Gonna do some before and after photos then share them?
Yeas at the end.
HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:30 AM   #37
Seeking the Truth daily

Took all of 6 hours for the total removal of the old....

Today we get the old tile off and begin drywall repair, Saturday we wire for new appliance locations

Cabinet guy coming, have a redesign....we found pipes we were not aware of and have to build around that....
Old 06-28-2018, 08:36 AM   #38
The Maintenance Guy

Damn, those cabinets weren't that bad. Ours were a similar honey oak before I refinished them. Countertops looked decent too. Tell them to put everything back!
Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:39 AM   #39
The Maintenance Guy

I'm guessing the pipes you're talking about is that ductwork up top? Ugh. I'd get rid of that popcorn ceiling while you're at it. Those are the devil.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:49 AM   #40
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugeaterface View Post
Heh, since I haven't worked full time since October so our place has been remodeling hell.

First off, last fall I put a new roof on the shed. And lots of repairs. And I'm still renovating the inside of it this summer.

Once that was done, it was on to the kitchen I had been working on for two years.

Then it was on to my disaster of a garage.

And then the electrical mess....

And countless other odds and ends...and I'm still not done with everything but I'm about out of money and need to get my ass back to work to pay for all of this.
My back aches just looking at all that shit done.
BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:28 AM   #41
Scarlett Johansson's boytoy

Quote:
Heh, since I haven't worked full time since October so our place has been remodeling hell.

First off, last fall I put a new roof on the shed. And lots of repairs. And I'm still renovating the inside of it this summer.

Once that was done, it was on to the kitchen I had been working on for two years.

Then it was on to my disaster of a garage.

And then the electrical mess....

And countless other odds and ends...and I'm still not done with everything but I'm about out of money and need to get my ass back to work to pay for all of this.

I forget - did you end up gel staining those cabinets or did you go with new?
mikeyis4dcats. is too fat/Omaha.mikeyis4dcats. is too fat/Omaha.mikeyis4dcats. is too fat/Omaha.mikeyis4dcats. is too fat/Omaha.mikeyis4dcats. is too fat/Omaha.mikeyis4dcats. is too fat/Omaha.mikeyis4dcats. is too fat/Omaha.mikeyis4dcats. is too fat/Omaha.mikeyis4dcats. is too fat/Omaha.mikeyis4dcats. is too fat/Omaha.mikeyis4dcats. is too fat/Omaha.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:31 AM   #42
Politically Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestChieffan View Post

Took all of 6 hours for the total removal of the old....

Today we get the old tile off and begin drywall repair, Saturday we wire for new appliance locations

Cabinet guy coming, have a redesign....we found pipes we were not aware of and have to build around that....
COOL! The old kitchen has the cottage cabin look and feel.

What are you going to do with the hardwood floors? Sand and refinish or sand, stain and refinish or just buff them out?

What is the new look you are going for?
scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:46 AM   #43
The Maintenance Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. View Post
I forget - did you end up gel staining those cabinets or did you go with new?
I did the same gel stain you used. There was waaaay too much nice oak in there to tear out. The former owner had to have spent a small fortune on it.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:56 AM   #44
The Maintenance Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanBusby View Post
My back aches just looking at all that shit done.
The kitchen was just a facelift, not a total gut and remodel. Just refinished the cabinets, new countertops, backsplash, floor and appliances. Still a fair amount of work though.

The garage however, was pretty much everything. Tore off what was left of some shitty old paneling, patched about 20 some holes in the ceiling, new drywall on all the walls, added switches and outlets...pretty much everything you see is new except the garage doors, those I just cleaned up and painted, tracks and all. I spent an incalculable amount of time in there.

The shed ended up being so bad I probably would have been better off tearing it down and rebuilding. But I was too far into it before I realized that, so I've had to spend a lot of time trying to make as much as I can work and it will still never be right. Hell the goddamn thing is four inches out of square, pretty damn hard to cover that up.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:57 AM   #45
Scarlett Johansson's boytoy

Quote:
I did the same gel stain you used. There was waaaay too much nice oak in there to tear out. The former owner had to have spent a small fortune on it.

looks great! We just moved into a new house yesterday, so I'm a little glad. 2 kids are hell on that finish, I had to touch up several times a year.
mikeyis4dcats. is too fat/Omaha.mikeyis4dcats. is too fat/Omaha.mikeyis4dcats. is too fat/Omaha.mikeyis4dcats. is too fat/Omaha.mikeyis4dcats. is too fat/Omaha.mikeyis4dcats. is too fat/Omaha.mikeyis4dcats. is too fat/Omaha.mikeyis4dcats. is too fat/Omaha.mikeyis4dcats. is too fat/Omaha.mikeyis4dcats. is too fat/Omaha.mikeyis4dcats. is too fat/Omaha.