Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 03-05-2018, 06:45 PM  
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS

USS Lexington found in Coral Sea

There's a video in the link, but I got an error message when trying to post it.

https://www.paulallen.com/uss-lexing...ated-rv-petrel

Wreck of Aircraft Carrier USS Lexington Located in Coral Sea After 76 Years

Wreckage from the USS Lexington was discovered by the expedition crew of Research Vessel (R/V) Petrel on March 4. The Lexington was found 3,000 meters (about two miles) below the surface, resting on the floor of the Coral Sea more than 500 miles off the eastern coast of Australia.

“To pay tribute to the USS Lexington and the brave men that served on her is an honor,” said Paul Allen. “As Americans, all of us owe a debt of gratitude to everyone who served and who continue to serve our country for their courage, persistence and sacrifice.”

As one of the first U.S. aircraft carriers ever built, the Lexington became known as “Lady Lex” and went down with 35 aircraft on board.

“Lexington was on our priority list because she was one of the capital ships that was lost during WWII,” said Robert Kraft, director of subsea operations for Mr. Allen. “Based on geography, time of year and other factors, I work with Paul Allen to determine what missions to pursue. We’ve been planning to locate the Lexington for about six months and it came together nicely.”

The USS Lexington was originally commissioned as a battlecruiser but was launched as an aircraft carrier in 1925. She took part in the Battle of the Coral Sea (May 4-8, 1942) along with the USS Yorktown against three Japanese carriers. This was the first carrier versus carrier battle in history and was the first time Japanese forces suffered a permanent setback in its advances on New Guinea and Australia. However, the U.S. lost the Lexington and 216 of its distinguished crew.

The Lexington had been hit by multiple torpedoes and bombs on May 8 but it was a secondary explosion causing uncontrolled fires that finally warranted the call to abandon ship. The USS Phelps delivered the final torpedoes that sank the crippled Lady Lex, the first aircraft carrier casualty in history. With other U.S. ships standing by, 2,770 crewmen and officers were rescued, including the captain and his dog Wags, the ships ever-present mascot.

During the Battle of the Coral Sea the Japanese navy sank USS Lexington (CV-2), USS Sims (DD-409), and USS Neosho (AO-23), and damaged the USS Yorktown. The Japanese lost one light carrier (Shōhō) and suffered significant damage to a fleet carrier (Shōkaku).

“As we look back on our Navy throughout its history, we see evidence of an incredible amount of heroism and sacrifice. The actions of Sailors from our past inspire us today,” said Sam Cox, Director of the Naval History and Heritage Command and retired U.S. Navy Rear Adm. “So many ships, so many battles, so many acts of valor help inform what we do now.”

The Battle of the Coral Sea was notable not only for stopping a Japanese advance but because it was the first naval engagement in history where opposing ships never came within sight of each other. This battle ushered in a new form of naval warfare via carrier-based airplanes. One month later, the U.S. Navy surprised Japanese forces at the Battle of Midway, and turned the tide of the war in the Pacific for good.

Based on some initial success with his M/Y Octopus, Allen acquired and retrofitted the 250-foot R/V Petrel with state-of-the-art subsea equipment capable of diving to 6,000 meters (or three and a half miles). Since its deployment in early 2017, the ship was active in several missions in the Philippine Sea before its transition to the Coral Sea off the Australian Coast.

Allen-led expeditions have also resulted in the discovery of the USS Indianapolis (August 2017), USS Ward (November 2017), USS Astoria (February 2015), Japanese battleship Musashi (March 2015) and the Italian WWII destroyer Artigliere (March 2017). His team was also responsible for presentation to the British Navy in honor of its heroic service. Allen’s expedition team was permanently transferred to the newly acquired and retrofitted R/V Petrel in 2016 with a specific mission around research, exploration and survey of historic warships and other important artifacts.
Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-06-2018, 03:02 PM   #31
The Maintenance Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frazod View Post
According to Wikipedia, 216 crewmen were killed during the battle and 2,735 were evacuated before she sank.
3,000 people? WTF do that many people do on one ship?
Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-06-2018, 03:08 PM   #32
In BB I trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugeater View Post

Nimitz class has over 5,000. It's a floating city, with anywhere from 60 to 100 advanced aircraft which require support completely separate and apart from what the ship itself requires.
Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-06-2018, 04:02 PM   #33
Starter

toured iowa in panama in the 80's
always remember my 3 year whipping it out and pissing on the deck of the iowa just getting potty trained and probably just doing what he saw me do in our backyard many a time
crashcourse is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.crashcourse is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.crashcourse is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.crashcourse is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.crashcourse is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.crashcourse is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.crashcourse is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.crashcourse is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.
Old 03-06-2018, 04:32 PM   #34
The Maintenance Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnorix View Post
Nimitz class has over 5,000. It's a floating city, with anywhere from 60 to 100 advanced aircraft which require support completely separate and apart from what the ship itself requires.
Well that's today, but we're talking about a WWII era ship. I'll admit I don't know much about it but I can't imagine something back then being big enough or advanced enough to require that many people. 5,000 sounds crazy though too.
Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:22 PM   #35
Shit

I've got an old military diesel jeep at the shop that they say wad used to move planes around on aircraft carriers. Its a cool old rig. Fuel tank leaked.

And i know a guy with a good sized yacht that has 16-20 full time people. It takes a lot to run those things I guess
SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:46 PM   #36
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugeater View Post
My ship’s compliment was 430 officers and men.

They never run out of shit for you to do. Believe me.
Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:47 PM   #37
pie is never free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote View Post
Yeah the evolution of air capable ships is amazing, when you see the WWII vessels compared to today. I learned how to land at sea on the 2nd Lady Lex (CV-16) https://usslexington.com/about-the-uss-lexington/
Heck we don’t count our large deck amphibs as carriers but they are to the rest of the planet. Some Navy/Marine marketing recently about the Wasp and Lightning’s:
http://www.amphib7flt.navy.mil/Media...-marine-corps/
Thought you were an ATC or something similar, didnt know you were also a flyer

The degree of difficulty landing at sea must be something else, as its moving, heaving and pitching in the swells

Carriers are truly amazing, watched a multi-part special about one a few years ago on Discovery Channel... a self contained, self sustaining, seagoing city that never sleeps, takes a helluva lotta work to keep those bad boys in ship shape
Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-06-2018, 06:16 PM   #38
Threepeat!

T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 07:03 PM   #39
Sandbox: Leander Lasercats

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-post Tom View Post
That is pretty amazing.
Hydrae has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Hydrae has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Hydrae has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Hydrae has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Hydrae has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Hydrae has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Hydrae has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Hydrae has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Hydrae has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Hydrae has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Hydrae has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:40 PM   #40
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy 6 View Post

The degree of difficulty landing at sea must be something else, as its moving, heaving and pitching in the swells

Carriers are truly amazing, watched a multi-part special about one a few years ago on Discovery Channel... a self contained, self sustaining, seagoing city that never sleeps, takes a helluva lotta work to keep those bad boys in ship shape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy 6 View Post

Yeah back when I was not a slimey civilian appointee, I flew in the USMC for 32 years. Covered T28s to Ospreys, left as Lightnings, Vipers and Venoms were arriving.
Fly the ball, don't chase the deck, military power crossing deck edge , walk in the park... Hornets were easier than the old stuff: A4s, F4s due to systems, flight computers, ACLS, Bitching Betty, HUDs, etc. or maybe I just had that much more flight time but I really think the former.
For Jump jets, helos and Ospreys, same rules but off the 180 pick up a 45 to the spot, stable hover, focus on the horizon, smoothly reduce power till the ship meets you.
Clean pants at night on no illum, NVD under zip lip/ emcon/ship lights out. Never eat fish for dinner otherwise they might pay you back.
Coyote has disabled reputation
Old 03-06-2018, 07:47 PM   #41
Supporter

Jesus, I don’t enjoy flying to minimums at night in low IFR, I can’t imagine trying to hit a small runway swaying in the ocean.
notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:55 PM   #42
pie is never free

Quote:
Yeah back when I was not a slimey civilian appointee, I flew in the USMC for 32 years. Covered T28s to Ospreys, left as Lightnings, Vipers and Venoms were arriving.
Fly the ball, don't chase the deck, military power crossing deck edge , walk in the park... Hornets were easier than the old stuff: A4s, F4s due to systems, flight computers, ACLS, Bitching Betty, HUDs, etc. or maybe I just had that much more flight time but I really think the former.
For Jump jets, helos and Ospreys, same rules but off the 180 pick up a 45 to the spot, stable hover, focus on the horizon, smoothly reduce power till the ship meets you.
Clean pants at night on no illum, NVD under zip lip/ emcon/ship lights out. Never eat fish for dinner otherwise they might pay you back.
Its gonna take me a good solid year to figure out all that lingo, love it!

No one on earth, kicks more ass at sea than Uncle Slam!
Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:56 PM   #43
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS

Quote:
Wow.
Old 03-06-2018, 08:08 PM   #44
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious View Post
Jesus, I don’t enjoy flying to minimums at night in low IFR, I can’t imagine trying to hit a small runway swaying in the ocean.
Yeah, the USN and USMC allow squadron commanders to issue special instrument ratings to 0 0 takeoff and landing, beyond app mins. The old joke that anyone the Skipper issued a special card to, had enough sense to never use it.....
Coyote has disabled reputation
Old 03-06-2018, 08:09 PM   #45
Resident Glue Sniffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frazod View Post
My ship’s compliment was 430 officers and men.

They never run out of shit for you to do. Believe me.
“Working parties”

“Cleaning stations”

...just a few phrases that make me cringe to this day if by some odd chance I ever hear them.
Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.