Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 07-07-2024, 11:11 AM  
Veteran

Where are the most desolate places in the lower 48?

I am looking for places in the lower 48 states that are the most desolate. Ones you go to when you want to get away from people.

A place where you might only see one other car drive down the highway every 30 minutes. An area with minimal paved roads and mostly gravel ones.

A place that's at least 200 miles from the nearest McDonald's or other chains.

A place with minimal cell phone service.

A place where if you get into an emergency, you have to be a man and toughen it out. You can't rely on first responders to bail you out.

What places come to mind?
Ocotillo Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Ocotillo Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Ocotillo Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Ocotillo Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Ocotillo Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Ocotillo Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Ocotillo Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Ocotillo Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Ocotillo Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Ocotillo Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Ocotillo Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 07-07-2024, 03:57 PM   #31
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frazod View Post
Eastern Colorado is awful. Actually worse than western Kansas, especially if you've been driving through Kansas for hours waiting to hit the Colorado border, thinking about trees, mountains and anything but the vile, monotonous misery of western Kansas, only to have shit get worse, not better. Once you get past Denver, though, goddamn that drive on I-70 is magnificent.

But my first thought was central Wyoming. Desolate country is okay if it's interesting/pretty to look at (Utah, for example). Central Wyoming is nothing but flat desert with some rocks. At least there are living things and hints of civilization in the bad areas of Kansas, Colorado, Nebraska and South Dakota.
That's not even the worst part. Limon is a legitimate town.

Trek across there on a state highway. It's way worse. Additionally, the drive is better after Denver on small highways, too.
Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2024, 04:58 PM   #32
Suupraa Geniuuusss

Death Valley, obviously.

I haven't been, but I'm told the deep Sonoran Desert is about as desolate/alone as it gets in the US.
Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-07-2024, 05:19 PM   #33
Sippin' my Coors

SW Texas is a god forsaken area. I drove to Del Rio, Tx years ago and did not see another car on the road for long stretches at a time. A really bad area to have a breakdown.
Darien25 is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutDarien25 is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutDarien25 is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutDarien25 is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutDarien25 is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutDarien25 is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutDarien25 is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutDarien25 is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutDarien25 is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutDarien25 is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutDarien25 is the dumbass Milkman is always talking about
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2024, 05:23 PM   #34
Hey Loochy, I'm hooome!

The stretch between Clayton, NM and Springer, NM is 90 miles of absolutely nothing
loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-07-2024, 05:37 PM   #35
Veteran

Hwy 127 out of Baker, CA heading North up toward Shoshone. You touch the South edge of Death Valley. Continue on for a trip into Death Valley, or head onto Hwy 178/327 toward Pahrump Nevada. There is literally nothing out there, and at night you will be lucky to see another car.
chinaski Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.chinaski Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.chinaski Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.chinaski Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.chinaski Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.chinaski Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.chinaski Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.chinaski Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.chinaski Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.chinaski Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.chinaski Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 07-07-2024, 05:44 PM   #36
In Search of a Life

If you want the most desolate place that also has an incredible ocean view, the Mattole Road in Northern CA at the northern end of the Lost Coast trail is really cool. Every time I've been there it's been so windy the sand on the beach stung my face, which I imagine is why it's not more populated.

suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-07-2024, 05:45 PM   #37
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocotillo View Post
What took you out that way? I always wanted to go to Great Basin National Park but it's really out of the way.
Great Basin is really cool. And never very crowded since it's so remote.
suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-07-2024, 06:13 PM   #38
Consuming CP souls

The Buffalo Bills and Cincinnati Bengals trophy cases
Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 6 Thumbs Down 1     Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2024, 06:36 PM   #39
You gotta kill a few people

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzzer99 View Post
If you want the most desolate place that also has an incredible ocean view, the Mattole Road in Northern CA at the northern end of the Lost Coast trail is really cool. Every time I've been there it's been so windy the sand on the beach stung my face, which I imagine is why it's not more populated.

That’s a beautiful rock structure
ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-07-2024, 06:47 PM   #40
On Hiatus

I remember when I was young I used to love to go driving to some of the more desolate places...just to drive and not see another human being for a few hours.

Anything driving across Kansas west.....I used to have a VW Rabbit with no air conditioning but damn it got good gas mileage.

Of the places I went to Montana was the most desolate....but I always had friends from CA who would tell me that old Route 66 and anything that was going from Vegas to LA was desolate.

But I did always remember to take plenty of extra water.....a food kit....and a sleeping bag. Never knew where I would end up...
Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.
Old 07-07-2024, 07:08 PM   #41
I Like The Kansas City Chiefs

The Bills’ Trophy Case
smithandrew051 is obviously part of the inner Circle.smithandrew051 is obviously part of the inner Circle.smithandrew051 is obviously part of the inner Circle.smithandrew051 is obviously part of the inner Circle.smithandrew051 is obviously part of the inner Circle.smithandrew051 is obviously part of the inner Circle.smithandrew051 is obviously part of the inner Circle.smithandrew051 is obviously part of the inner Circle.smithandrew051 is obviously part of the inner Circle.smithandrew051 is obviously part of the inner Circle.smithandrew051 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 3 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2024, 07:14 PM   #42
Starter

Padre Island National Seashore (PINS).

Not South Padre Island. The opposite of that.

65 miles of beach. The first 10 is for the partiers.

The rest is for people that wanna get away.

Go down about 25 miles or so.

Less the sea turtles are layin eggs (APril/May?), you won't see another person all day on a weekday.

Great fishing, including sharks.

Just you, coyotes, rattlesnakes, ghost crabs, shipwrecks, and pelicans slidin overhead like pterodactyls.
Arch Stanton is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutArch Stanton is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutArch Stanton is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutArch Stanton is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutArch Stanton is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutArch Stanton is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutArch Stanton is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutArch Stanton is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutArch Stanton is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutArch Stanton is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutArch Stanton is the dumbass Milkman is always talking about
Old 07-07-2024, 07:34 PM   #43
Pessimistically optimistic.

I've never seen the stars quite as beautiful and plentiful as when I took the 10 between Tucson and Las Cruces.

I imagine the lack of light pollution would open it up to being rather desolate.
MMXcalibur is obviously part of the inner Circle.MMXcalibur is obviously part of the inner Circle.MMXcalibur is obviously part of the inner Circle.MMXcalibur is obviously part of the inner Circle.MMXcalibur is obviously part of the inner Circle.MMXcalibur is obviously part of the inner Circle.MMXcalibur is obviously part of the inner Circle.MMXcalibur is obviously part of the inner Circle.MMXcalibur is obviously part of the inner Circle.MMXcalibur is obviously part of the inner Circle.MMXcalibur is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-07-2024, 07:38 PM   #44
It was not a fair catch

I was on Hwy 54 between Alamogordo and Santa Rosa. The only thing I could think of was "How the hell did they build a highway here. There is NOTHING here."
displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-07-2024, 07:43 PM   #45
Ain't no relax!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzzer99 View Post

Is that the rock from Goonies?
Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.