Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 02-26-2020, 10:28 PM  
MVP

***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***

A couple of reminders...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwana View Post
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartgod View Post
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

Last edited by Bearcat; 03-25-2020 at 08:56 AM.. Reason: adding spoiler tag
JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 07-21-2020, 09:33 AM   #40036
Starter

7 day average for new cases in Florida is starting to drop slightly but the 7 day average for deaths continue to climb.
Chitownchiefsfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Chitownchiefsfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Chitownchiefsfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Chitownchiefsfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Chitownchiefsfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Chitownchiefsfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Chitownchiefsfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Chitownchiefsfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Chitownchiefsfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Chitownchiefsfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Chitownchiefsfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
Old 07-21-2020, 09:35 AM   #40037
Veteran

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKCN24M25L

Chief epidemiologist Anders Tegnell of the public health agency said a rapid slowdown in the spread of the virus indicated very strongly that Sweden had reached relatively widespread immunity.

“The epidemic is now being slowed down, in a way that I think few of us would have believed a week or so ago,” he told a news conference.

Daily COVID-19 death rates as well as the number of infected in intensive care have been slowing gradually since April, with seven new deaths and no new ICU admissions reported by the health agency.

“It really is yet another sign that the Swedish strategy is working,” Tegnell said. It is possible to slow contagion fast with the measures we are taking in Sweden.”
Kidd Lex is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Kidd Lex is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Kidd Lex is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Kidd Lex is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Kidd Lex is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Kidd Lex is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Kidd Lex is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Kidd Lex is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Kidd Lex is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Kidd Lex is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Kidd Lex is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
Old 07-21-2020, 09:59 AM   #40038
In Search of a Life

Yeah, Sweden looks like it's out the back end.

Their death rates are super high, for sure. But i also looked into how they're coding deaths. Anyone who dies within 30 days of a covid positive test is a covid death. That seems weird to me.
O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-21-2020, 10:00 AM   #40039
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.city View Post
Yeah, Sweden looks like it's out the back end.

Their death rates are super high, for sure. But i also looked into how they're coding deaths. Anyone who dies within 30 days of a covid positive test is a covid death. That seems weird to me.
I'm so confused. It's Tuesday so is Sweden good today or bad today?
petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 10:08 AM   #40040
Supporter

There is some political mumb-jumbo at the end of the linked article I left out of my post s

Quote:
Flaw in Manufacturer’s Testing System For Coronavirus Used by Labs Across the US Causing False Positives

A flaw in a manufacturer’s Coronavirus testing system used by labs across the US are causing false positives.

Department of Public Health scientists in Connecticut discovered the flaw in the testing system manufactured by Thermo Fisher Scientific.

According to DPH scientists, the affected patients were tested between July 15 to July 17 and out of a total of 144 ‘positive’ tests, 90 were false positives!

This is just the tip of the iceberg.

The Associated Press reported:

Scientists at Connecticut’s public health laboratory say they’ve discovered a flaw in a manufacturer’s testing system for the coronavirus that’s used by labs around the country. So far, it’s resulted in 90 people – mostly residents of Connecticut nursing homes and assisted living facilities – recently receiving false positive tests.

State public health officials are now reviewing whether nursing home residents who received false positive tests were grouped with other residents with accurate positive tests, given the state’s recommendation to cohort nursing home residents who test positive for COVID-19.

“We don’t know that yet,” said Josh Geballe, Gov. Ned Lamont’s chief operating officer, noting that a team from the state’s Department of Public Health has been reaching out to every clinician responsible for those individuals, as well as the facilities where they live, and compiling data on the situation.

Meanwhile, Dr. Deidre S. Gifford, the state’s acting public health commissioner, said her agency is also reaching out to labs throughout the state to see how many of them use the testing platform manufactured by Thermo Fisher Scientific.
https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/202...lse-positives/
petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-21-2020, 10:09 AM   #40041
The Beast Inside Your Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongside View Post
This “testing positive without ever getting tested” business is some alarming shit.
Happening all over
https://www.dailywire.com/news/nashv...Gch-qjl3WIsUdM
BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-21-2020, 10:11 AM   #40042
I love your mom

I don't think it was a ever a good or bad they just did it different and we might not know for years still whether they their blueprint was the best option, in the end all the strategies could end up being a wash once everything is factored in long term. It is nice to see positive news coming out in regards to immunity though , I think we have a long way to go still but it is nice to be at least getting a glimpse of the finish line.
Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.
Old 07-21-2020, 10:11 AM   #40043
The Beast Inside Your Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Meck View Post
I was hoping, but you never can tell around here.
A lot of posters in this thread aren't big on someone being able to provide for their familys. He was mocking them.
BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-21-2020, 10:13 AM   #40044
MVP

Texas has definitely flattened if this is to be trusted

dashboard:

https://txdshs.maps.arcgis.com/apps/...fe8b9640bcb4a7

McCallen though...

https://www.krgv.com/news/with-hospi...ome-available/
Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old 07-21-2020, 10:18 AM   #40045

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Lex View Post
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKCN24M25L

Chief epidemiologist Anders Tegnell of the public health agency said a rapid slowdown in the spread of the virus indicated very strongly that Sweden had reached relatively widespread immunity.

“The epidemic is now being slowed down, in a way that I think few of us would have believed a week or so ago,” he told a news conference.

Daily COVID-19 death rates as well as the number of infected in intensive care have been slowing gradually since April, with seven new deaths and no new ICU admissions reported by the health agency.

“It really is yet another sign that the Swedish strategy is working,” Tegnell said. It is possible to slow contagion fast with the measures we are taking in Sweden.”
I feel like I'm losing my mind and people are just living in an alternate fantasyland. Norway has had a handful of deaths, but haven't had more than 1 death in a day in almost a month.

Finland literally hasn't had a death in almost a month. Sweden is totally going the right direction but they killed 10+ times as many people as their neighbors to do it.
tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 5 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 10:26 AM   #40046
MVP

The "vodka shot" theory as I am choosing to call it where if you think of covid as shots of vodka and how if you take six shots at once you're more likely to be really screwed seems to have growing support.

The idea is that the initial intake amount matters as to how bad your symptoms are.

If this is the case it seems that wearing a mask actually DOES help you if you still get it.

Here's a study:

https://www.npr.org/2020/07/20/89322...aring-them-too

Quote:
And sort of putting it all together, it really is that the less virus that you get in, the less sick you're likely to be. So not only do masks protect you - and we've seen from getting the virus and altogether. And that's been seen in hamster studies. That's been seen in a health care worker study that was just published last week in JAMA. But if you do get the virus in, you get very little in. And you're likely to get what's called an asymptomatic infection or not have any symptoms at all and - or a very mild infection. So it really is based on the fact that we've known for many years now - probably a hundred - that the more virus you get into your system, the more likely you are to get sick. And these masks protect you.
Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old 07-21-2020, 10:28 AM   #40047
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk13 View Post
I feel like I'm losing my mind and people are just living in an alternate fantasyland. Norway has had a handful of deaths, but haven't had more than 1 death in a day in almost a month.

Finland literally hasn't had a death in almost a month. Sweden is totally going the right direction but they killed 10+ times as many people as their neighbors to do it.
It's the long game for one. Those places didn't have those deaths, but now they've got to be super careful in how they open up, they likely can't reopen their tourist areas from other countries etc.

Sweden also as i said earlier, is much more meticulous in how they count deaths with COvid.

So it's more with Sweden "yeah, we had a really high death rate early, now it'll likely normalize and those other countries will trickle along and could end up getting close to us in the end".
O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-21-2020, 10:31 AM   #40048
I love your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiimosabi View Post
The "vodka shot" theory as I am choosing to call it where if you think of covid as shots of vodka and how if you take six shots at once you're more likely to be really screwed seems to have growing support.

The idea is that the initial intake amount matters as to how bad your symptoms are.

If this is the case it seems that wearing a mask actually DOES help you if you still get it.

Here's a study:

https://www.npr.org/2020/07/20/89322...aring-them-too
If you still get immunity from the smaller viral loads then opening things up with masks would allow people to be somewhat exposed at reduced risk of getting severe outcomes .
Bu we have also seem people exposed to what you think would similar viral loads getting completely different outcomes.
Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.
Old 07-21-2020, 10:36 AM   #40049
I love your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.city View Post
It's the long game for one. Those places didn't have those deaths, but now they've got to be super careful in how they open up, they likely can't reopen their tourist areas from other countries etc.

Sweden also as i said earlier, is much more meticulous in how they count deaths with COvid.

So it's more with Sweden "yeah, we had a really high death rate early, now it'll likely normalize and those other countries will trickle along and could end up getting close to us in the end".
With the improvements in how covid is treated it could still end up having a better outcome overall by pushing those cases down the road but who knows, I think Finland and Norway are more open than Sweden right now but I am not sure by how much what their policies are exactly with masks etc.
Old 07-21-2020, 10:41 AM   #40050
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monticore View Post
I don't think it was a ever a good or bad they just did it different and we might not know for years still whether they their blueprint was the best option, in the end all the strategies could end up being a wash once everything is factored in long term. It is nice to see positive news coming out in regards to immunity though , I think we have a long way to go still but it is nice to be at least getting a glimpse of the finish line.
This is how I see it too. Compared to their neighbors it’s impossible to say they did it right in my opinion, but given the way the virus rolled through Italy and New York and now Sweden before falling off seems to be another data point to show immunity thresholds may be far below the 60% threshold. Looks like Texas and Arizona might be following the same trajectory. Gives me hope that herd immunity is possible with some mitigation (wearing masks, social distancing, etc) at 10-20% infection rate.
Kidd Lex is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Kidd Lex is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Kidd Lex is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Kidd Lex is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Kidd Lex is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Kidd Lex is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Kidd Lex is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Kidd Lex is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Kidd Lex is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Kidd Lex is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Kidd Lex is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.