Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 02-26-2020, 10:28 PM  
MVP

***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***

A couple of reminders...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwana View Post
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartgod View Post
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

Last edited by Bearcat; 03-25-2020 at 08:56 AM.. Reason: adding spoiler tag
JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 07-01-2020, 06:00 PM   #37336
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat View Post
So, you don't think if there was a large umbrella-like thing between your hand and the drywall, that it wouldn't make a difference in the amount of dust headed towards your face?
A large umbrella thing? Be kinda hard to sand drywall with a large umbrella thing in front of me, wouldn't it???
petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-01-2020, 06:01 PM   #37337
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLO View Post
I haven't really looked at much of the research on masks. Is there anything that says even basic cloth or surgical masks can block the intake of droplets from others?
Wearing them to protect you from intake is not going to do much. People will claim it will and if used in a very, very strict way it could. But between gaps in the masks, people touching the mask with their hands, the mask sitting up close to your eyes, etc.....in all practical terms it won't help much unless the droplets are big.
petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-01-2020, 06:03 PM   #37338
Cool as a Cucumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by petegz28 View Post
A large umbrella thing? Be kinda hard to sand drywall with a large umbrella thing in front of me, wouldn't it???
Which is why it's a silly comparison.
KS Smitty has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.KS Smitty has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.KS Smitty has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.KS Smitty has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.KS Smitty has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.KS Smitty has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.KS Smitty has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.KS Smitty has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.KS Smitty has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.KS Smitty has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.KS Smitty has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 06:03 PM   #37339
Would an idiot do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugeater View Post
I have no idea if it was dumb or not. If I covered my face with a cloth mask and sanded drywall for an hour and my mouth and nose were full of dust when finished, I'd say it's a valid point.
My 2 cents would be...
- You're blasting your face with dust, so even if your mask only lets in 10% of everything, that 10% is going to be significant. It's still blocking 90% of it.

- You're probably not getting blasted with Covid like you would with drywall dust.

- As allewded to (see what I did there), if Covid dude's mask is blocking even 50% of things leaving his mouth with a mask, and you're blocking another 50 or 60 or 95% of things going into yours... it's going to help. Maybe it reduces the risk from 20% to 10% or whatever, for that particle to fly into your mouth.
Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 06:05 PM   #37340
Would an idiot do that?

Quote:

via GIPHY

Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-01-2020, 06:07 PM   #37341
Mod Team

Watch to see how far droplets travel in various masks.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abc13.c...demic/6287825/

I can’t embed video for some reason.
lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-01-2020, 06:08 PM   #37342
The Maintenance Guy

Quote:
I'm thinking about trying it...
Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-01-2020, 06:11 PM   #37343

Quote:
I haven't really looked at much of the research on masks. Is there anything that says even basic cloth or surgical masks can block the intake of droplets from others?
Everything I've seen has said it's much less about blocking intake than blocking output. These guys used a basic washcloth and showed how it blocked a large amount of particles coming out of the guy's mouth. There's even a video.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2007800
tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-01-2020, 06:12 PM   #37344
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog View Post
Watch to see how far droplets travel in various masks.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abc13.c...demic/6287825/

I can’t embed video for some reason.
So if it's blocking that much on the way out, how much air do you think it's blocking on the way in?

I can tell you now since we have had to wear these more and more at work and such after about 15-20 mins of a mask on, even a surgical one, I start getting a sore throat. Not terribly sore or enough to make me pull the mask off but noticeable.
Old 07-01-2020, 06:13 PM   #37345
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk13 View Post
Everything I've seen has said it's much less about blocking intake than blocking output. These guys used a basic washcloth and showed how it blocked a large amount of particles coming out of the guy's mouth. There's even a video.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2007800
It is about blocking but when I brought that up a few weeks ago suddenly Donger and a few others started the whole "it goes both ways" argument.
Old 07-01-2020, 06:15 PM   #37346
Mod Team

Quote:
So if it's blocking that much on the way out, how much air do you think it's blocking on the way in?

I can tell you now since we have had to wear these more and more at work and such after about 15-20 mins of a mask on, even a surgical one, I start getting a sore throat. Not terribly sore or enough to make me pull the mask off but noticeable.
You’re a ****ing pussy then. We wear them 8+ hours a day. Pregnant woman nurses in full PPE gear.

If wearing a mask causes you that many problems, you shouldn’t be leaving the house in a pandemic because you’re clearly not healthy.
lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-01-2020, 06:16 PM   #37347
Supporter

Quote:
We're gonna be under that by a lot.
We cracked the 50k mark so the media is creaming themselves. But yes, it looks like we are going to be under the 819 by well over 100 deaths.
Old 07-01-2020, 06:17 PM   #37348
Supporter

Quote:
You’re a ****ing pussy then. We wear them 8+ hours a day. Pregnant woman nurses in full PPE gear.

If wearing a mask causes you that many problems, you shouldn’t be leaving the house in a pandemic because you’re clearly not healthy.
Well you're a ****ing tough guy......how'd those masks work out for you again?

Sorry, you made me go there with the pussy remark. Now go have a Manhattan and before you get the ring hand.
Old 07-01-2020, 06:22 PM   #37349
Hey Loochy, I'm hooome!

Quote:

He clearly has a Planet Fitness-esque work ethic and pain tolerance.
loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 06:22 PM   #37350
Mod Team

Quote:
Well you're a ****ing tough guy......how'd those masks work out for you again?

Sorry, you made me go there with the pussy remark. Now go have a Manhattan and before you get the ring hand.
And since then we’ve tightened our PPE use even further, now including masks and face shields. Even wearing them in our therapy office, which is how we probably shared it last time because we were laxed around each other.