Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 02-26-2020, 10:28 PM  
MVP

***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***

A couple of reminders...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwana View Post
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartgod View Post
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

Last edited by Bearcat; 03-25-2020 at 08:56 AM.. Reason: adding spoiler tag
JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 05-24-2020, 12:53 PM   #33136
Best Body On ChiefsPlanet

Quote:
Originally Posted by petegz28 View Post
That was a lot of words but you never answered the question I asked you.
And im not going to. Sorry. Have fun posting another 50-times today bitching about social distancing
PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 05-24-2020, 12:56 PM   #33137
Now you've pissed me off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by staylor26 View Post
But those things don’t stop 1.35 million people form dying every year, so we need to do more.

No more driving unless you’re going to work, taking your kids to school, etc.

I mean if you don’t agree you’re basically a piece of shit that’s ok with 1.35 million people still dying every year.
No, that's a weak argument born of desperation. It's nihilistic and the natural extension of it is that no amount of deaths matter because we can't prevent all of them.No one ever said the goal was risk elimination. The goal is risk mitigation.

We don't refuse to give drugs to people because 1/10,000 will have an allergic reaction, we analyze whether the therapy will do more good than harm. Cops pull cars over without taillights all the time because, in theory, they're a risk to themselves and other drivers. Doing so won't prevent all accidents, but the thought is to limit them. Seat belts sometimes kill people who would have otherwise survived accidents, but it doesn't mean they don't save lives on the balance. Sealing fuel tanks and mandating air bags don't save everyone, but they do save a lot of people. You'll never get the number down to zero, but you can lower it through interventions that are low consequence.

I can tell you firsthand I've experienced other interventions that are a hell of a lot more unpleasant than that. I don't particularly enjoy having poison pumped into my jugular vein every other week for three hours--I'm exhausted afterwards, my ribs and sternum ache for days, it literally hurts just to sit down, my esophageal tract is filled with sores, but I do it because the reward is worth the short-term suffering, and it's a hell of a lot more unpleasant than some of these impossibly minor sacrifices others refuse to make.

Do you have any idea how much ****ing money a pharmaceutical company would make if they could reduce the infectiousness of this disease by half? Gilead is going to make billions on remdesivir when it only reduces hospitalization time by 1/3. Pharma companies made tens of billions of dollars on statins which increase quality of life years by 3 months for the average user. Three months.

Yet here's the thing: we already have such a treatment, and it costs pennies: wear a mask and don't gather in large groups. The same people who will bitch endlessly about using hydroxychloroquine as prophylaxis when there is no evidence and very well known side effects refuse to put on a surgical or cloth mask that costs a few cents or dollars. That is such a small ask.
'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 12:57 PM   #33138
sorta mod-ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donger View Post
No, that wasn't all. That was just part of it. If one doesn't get infected, one doesn't get sick. If one doesn't get sick, one doesn't got to the hospital. If one doesn't get sick, one can't die from it.
So, "flattening the curve"?
Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-24-2020, 12:59 PM   #33139
"Think BOOM!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowser View Post
Minimize infections, to minimize the chance of hospital overruns, to minimize deaths.

“If you look at the curves of outbreaks, you know, they go up big peaks, and then they come down. What we need to do is flatten that down,” he has said publicly. “That would have less people infected. That would, ultimately, have less deaths.”
Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-24-2020, 01:00 PM   #33140
In Search of a Life

Hamas I didn’t say anything about not wearing a mask or hanging out in large groups.

Like I’ve said, I’m in the middle here. I’m willing to be reasonable.

This all started because PA thinks anybody that did their part in flattening the curve and now wants to move on with their lives (gym, haircut, etc.) within reasonable social distancing measures is a POS.
staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-24-2020, 01:02 PM   #33141

Quote:
Hamas I didn’t say anything about not wearing a mask or hanging out in large groups.

Like I’ve said, I’m in the middle here. I’m willing to be reasonable.

This all started because PA thinks anybody that did their part in flattening the curve and now wants to move on with their lives (gym, haircut, etc.) within reasonable social distancing measures is a POS.
Not at all. I'm merely pointing out the sacrifices Michigan residents are making by following social distancing orders are well worth it when you consider it could save countless lives.
PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 01:03 PM   #33142
Please squeeze

Quote:
Why do you feel the need to put words in my mouth and the opine on something I never said?

I am just messing around with you lighten up.
dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-24-2020, 01:03 PM   #33143
"Think BOOM!"

Quote:
And depending on where you live and how far you take that, that’s fine.

Like I said, I live in Key West where the cases have become pretty much non-existent and a total of 3 people died all together despite a late lockdown.

I’m not going to wear a mask other than when I have to. If I lived somewhere else, I’d be a little more considerate.
The population of Key West is 25,000 and you have 99 cases?
Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-24-2020, 01:04 PM   #33144
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy View Post
And im not going to. Sorry. Have fun posting another 50-times today bitching about social distancing
Figures....

I can answer for you. You were talking out of your ass.
petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-24-2020, 01:05 PM   #33145
Please squeeze

Quote:
And depending on where you live and how far you take that, that’s fine.

Like I said, I live in Key West where the cases have become pretty much non-existent and a total of 3 people died all together despite a late lockdown.

I’m not going to wear a mask other than when I have to. If I lived somewhere else, I’d be a little more considerate.

Lucky you. If I lived in Key West I wouldn't give a **** either
dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-24-2020, 01:06 PM   #33146
Bring it on Ahab!

Quote:
Not at all. I'm merely pointing out the sacrifices Michigan residents are making by following social distancing orders are well worth it when you consider it could save countless lives.
Keeping covid patients away from retirement homes would be a start.
WhiteWhale is obviously part of the inner Circle.WhiteWhale is obviously part of the inner Circle.WhiteWhale is obviously part of the inner Circle.WhiteWhale is obviously part of the inner Circle.WhiteWhale is obviously part of the inner Circle.WhiteWhale is obviously part of the inner Circle.WhiteWhale is obviously part of the inner Circle.WhiteWhale is obviously part of the inner Circle.WhiteWhale is obviously part of the inner Circle.WhiteWhale is obviously part of the inner Circle.WhiteWhale is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-24-2020, 01:08 PM   #33147

Quote:
Figures....

I can answer for you. You were talking out of your ass.
Here's a question for you internet tough guy. How many lives do you think were saved by social distancing?
Old 05-24-2020, 01:09 PM   #33148
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowser View Post
He will still argue with you but here.....

Quote:
Health officials take for granted that COVID-19 will continue to infect millions of people around the world over the coming weeks and months. However, as the outbreak in Italy shows, the rate at which a population becomes infected makes all the difference in whether there are enough hospital beds (and doctors, and resources) to treat the sick.

In epidemiology, the idea of slowing a virus' spread so that fewer people need to seek treatment at any given time is known as "flattening the curve." It explains why so many countries are implementing "social distancing" guidelines — including a "shelter in place" order that affects 6.7 million people in Northern California, even though COVID-19 outbreaks there might not yet seem severe.

The "curve" researchers are talking about refers to the projected number of people who will contract COVID-19 over a period of time. (To be clear, this is not a hard prediction of how many people will definitely be infected, but a theoretical number that's used to model the virus' spread.)

The curve takes on different shapes, depending on the virus's infection rate. It could be a steep curve, in which the virus spreads exponentially (that is, case counts keep doubling at a consistent rate), and the total number of cases skyrockets to its peak within a few weeks. Infection curves with a steep rise also have a steep fall; after the virus infects pretty much everyone who can be infected, case numbers begin to drop exponentially, too.

The faster the infection curve rises, the quicker the local health care system gets overloaded beyond its capacity to treat people. As we're seeing in Italy, more and more new patients may be forced to go without ICU beds, and more and more hospitals may run out of the basic supplies they need to respond to the outbreak.

A flatter curve, on the other hand, assumes the same number of people ultimately get infected, but over a longer period of time. A slower infection rate means a less stressed health care system, fewer hospital visits on any given day and fewer sick people being turned away.

For a simple metaphor, consider an office bathroom.

"Your workplace bathroom has only so many stalls," Charles Bergquist, director of the public radio science show "Science Friday" tweeted. "If everyone decides to go at the same time, there are problems. If the same number of people need go to the restroom but spread over several hours, it's all ok."

https://www.livescience.com/coronavi...the-curve.html
petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-24-2020, 01:09 PM   #33149
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donger View Post
The population of Key West is 25,000 and you have 99 cases?
That’s in all of Monroe county (where the population is 70,000), not just Key West.
staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-24-2020, 01:10 PM   #33150
Supporter

Quote:
Here's a question for you internet tough guy. How many lives do you think were saved by social distancing?
Don't know and we have no way of knowing for sure. Now answer my question or .