Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 03-23-2021, 07:50 AM  
'Tis my eye!

Greg Rosenthal's worst contracts of free agency so far, guess who is first?

https://www.nfl.com/news/2021-nfl-fr...ven-out-so-far

Quote:
This isn't about Thuney, who is clearly a quality guard. It's about value and need and, maybe, using free agency as an emotional rebound after a devastating Super Bowl loss. In a year of relatively low prices on the market, Thuney earned more guaranteed money ($50.9 million) than Trent Williams ($45.1 million) or any other free agent available. The history of guards changing places in free agency and proceeding to earn their money is spotty. While this is true at most positions, guards still rely on teammates and coaches so much that even a good one can get lost without the right support.
Part of my reasoning for listing Thuney here is that the Chiefs have done a laudable job coaching up and finding bargains at the position in the last five years. They paid for tackles, had big misses and some hits at guard and rode that to one of the best offenses in the league. When the tackles were injured this year, it all fell apart. But while the Chiefs' general approach to pay on the edges made sense, Thuney's signing this offseason only seemed to prevent the Chiefs from going the extra mile in their pursuit of Williams, who ended up sticking in San Francisco.
Oh and don't miss Bucky Brooks' latest masterpiece:

Teams should FEAR the new Patriots...

https://www.nfl.com/news/patriots-th...-agent-signing
htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-23-2021, 08:27 AM   #16
Andy Reid Supporter

So this douche makes fun of our OL and then bags on us for...signing an elite OL?

RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 3 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 08:29 AM   #17
In Search of a Life

This is just so dumb.

1. Thuney had no impact on the Williams signing.

2. Yes the Chiefs have done a solid job at finding bargains on the IOL, but they had a chance to get a top gun at a position (LG) that they’ve been terrible at for most of Reid’s tenure.

3. We got a guy that’s extremely reliable. If you’re going to pay top dollar, it might as well be for a top guy that has no significant injury history.

4. This contract is going to look cheap after Nelson gets paid and the cap explodes.
staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 4 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 08:30 AM   #18
M-I-Z-Z-O-U

Quote:
Originally Posted by htismaqe View Post
And I'll say it right now:

It's looking more and more likely that Superturtle was right and doesn't even know the extent to which he was. The Chiefs appear to be COMPLETELY remaking the offensive line, not just in personnel but in philosophy as well.
Maybe. I think a lot of the moves were designed to create flexibility and redundancies.

Bringing back Remmers gives them someone to compete with Niang at RT, yes, but it also gives them a guy they can trust at RT (where he was quietly very good last year, a performance that's lost in his failure in the Super Bowl) if needed.

Kyle Long, if healthy, can be a major upgrade at RG or a quality starter at RT. It's a depth signing with a large amount of upside but again goes to building depth and creating some flexibility through redundancy.

It all sets up, to me, to being able to create competition at as many spots as possible.

They're not going to pin LT on one guy now (unless they trade assets to acquire one). If they end up drafting at tackle at 31 or lower, they can throw that person in a comp with Niang and play the best guy.
duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 08:30 AM   #19
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief View Post
I don't think the contract was that Massive, in fact in 2023,24 and 25 it will look like a bargain if he stays healthy. He is 28 and has barely missed any snaps, he's top 3 in his position, and is making 5-7 million less than the top Offensive Tackles. This was a good smart signing.
I believe the contract is the highest in NFL history for a guard. Seems pretty massive to me.
louie aguiar Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.louie aguiar Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.louie aguiar Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.louie aguiar Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.louie aguiar Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.louie aguiar Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.louie aguiar Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.louie aguiar Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.louie aguiar Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.louie aguiar Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.louie aguiar Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Thumbs Up 0 Thumbs Down 1     Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 08:36 AM   #20
The man you could post like.

One thing that is interesting is Veach and Spags don't seem to be satisfied with the secondary as it stands.
Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 08:37 AM   #21
MVP

Interior pressure is the devil in today's NFL. Investing in preventing it seems wise. In free agency, you must be the highest bidder to win, all other things being equal. Seems like Veach did what had to be done to secure the premium interior olineman on the market. I don't think that merits criticism.
Nightfyre has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Nightfyre has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Nightfyre has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Nightfyre has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Nightfyre has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Nightfyre has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Nightfyre has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Nightfyre has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Nightfyre has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Nightfyre has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Nightfyre has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Old 03-23-2021, 08:37 AM   #22
Herm is the worst...horrible

Philosophy-wise, I'm guessing the thought is that creating a pocket that Mahomes can step up into on most every play is the key idea? Or is there a bunch of pulling involved in this philosophy change? Or is this change something else. I confess little knowledge of OL philosophies.
dallaschiefsfan has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.dallaschiefsfan has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.dallaschiefsfan has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.dallaschiefsfan has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.dallaschiefsfan has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.dallaschiefsfan has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.dallaschiefsfan has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.dallaschiefsfan has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.dallaschiefsfan has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.dallaschiefsfan has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.dallaschiefsfan has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.
Old 03-23-2021, 08:37 AM   #23
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie aguiar View Post
I believe the contract is the highest in NFL history for a guard. Seems pretty massive to me.
He's arguably the 2nd best guard in the league, and when Quenton Nelson, arguably the best Guard signs his deal, it will make this contract look cheap...
IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-23-2021, 08:42 AM   #24
'Tis my eye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallaschiefsfan View Post
Philosophy-wise, I'm guessing the thought is that creating a pocket that Mahomes can step up into on most every play is the key idea? Or is there a bunch of pulling involved in this philosophy change? Or is this change something else. I confess little knowledge of OL philosophies.
I think the Chiefs are looking to get stronger at the point of attack, for one. I think they're trying to prevent the interior pocket from getting pushed in so that Patrick stops retreating so far. Our tackles were good but they were also forced to hold blocks unconventionally. A tackle is supposed to route edge defenders PAST the pocket and when the interior gets pushed, it disrupts the entire outside blocking process.
htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 4 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 08:44 AM   #25
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superturtle View Post
One thing that is interesting is Veach and Spags don't seem to be satisfied with the secondary as it stands.
Eh. I think they just want a NB so they can move Sneed outside.

They’ll probably sign Williams today and draft a safety somewhere in the middle rounds. Maybe another outside corner too.
staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-23-2021, 08:44 AM   #26
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superturtle View Post
I've thought for some time now that you need to be constantly drafting and developing corners.

It's such an expensive position; and the difference between a 'good' corner and a 'great' corner isn't worth the money in free agency, I don't think.

But the functional difference between 'mediocre' and 'good' is HUGE on a defense.

It's a position where Steven Nelson can get paid like a #1 WR.

That's ****ed up.

So, yeah, always be drafting and developing corners.
Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-23-2021, 08:46 AM   #27
Herm is the worst...horrible

Quote:
Originally Posted by htismaqe View Post
I think the Chiefs are looking to get stronger at the point of attack, for one. I think they're trying to prevent the interior pocket from getting pushed in so that Patrick stops retreating so far. Our tackles were good but they were also forced to hold blocks unconventionally. A tackle is supposed to route edge defenders PAST the pocket and when the interior gets pushed, it disrupts the entire outside blocking process.
This makes sense to me from what I saw visually. And - correct me if I'm thinking wrong - but you don't need all-world tackles to direct edge rushers around a pocket that's consistently clean much closer to the line of scrimmage?
dallaschiefsfan has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.dallaschiefsfan has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.dallaschiefsfan has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.dallaschiefsfan has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.dallaschiefsfan has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.dallaschiefsfan has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.dallaschiefsfan has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.dallaschiefsfan has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.dallaschiefsfan has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.dallaschiefsfan has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.dallaschiefsfan has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.
Old 03-23-2021, 08:46 AM   #28
The man you could post like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Meck View Post
I've thought for some time now that you need to be constantly drafting and developing corners.

It's such an expensive position; and the difference between a 'good' corner and a 'great' corner isn't worth the money in free agency, I don't think.

But the functional difference between 'mediocre' and 'good' is HUGE on a defense.

It's a position where Steven Nelson can get paid like a #1 WR.

That's ****ed up.

So, yeah, always be drafting and developing corners.
Yeah. That's why I found it a bit odd they were after Shaquil Griffin and Adoree Jackson.
Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-23-2021, 08:47 AM   #29
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by staylor26 View Post
This is just so dumb.

1. Thuney had no impact on the Williams signing.

2. Yes the Chiefs have done a solid job at finding bargains on the IOL, but they had a chance to get a top gun at a position (LG) that they’ve been terrible at for most of Reid’s tenure.

3. We got a guy that’s extremely reliable. If you’re going to pay top dollar, it might as well be for a top guy that has no significant injury history.

4. This contract is going to look cheap after Nelson gets paid and the cap explodes.
The only way Williams plays into it is if you believe KC should have offered more money or higher guaranteed money to Williams. Further the Chiefs would have if not for Thuney. That was not happening. Williams got all he was going to get at 32 years old.

Further his article implies that last season the line was not the problem. I mean the patched up line could not get a push against a 6 man box. That was obvious in the Tampa game but also was evident all season. We need to run teams out of the defense Tampa ran. We are going to see that copied a lot next season.
Shields68 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliShields68 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliShields68 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliShields68 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliShields68 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliShields68 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliShields68 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliShields68 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliShields68 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliShields68 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliShields68 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
Old 03-23-2021, 08:48 AM   #30
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho View Post
Maybe. I think a lot of the moves were designed to create flexibility and redundancies.

Bringing back Remmers gives them someone to compete with Niang at RT, yes, but it also gives them a guy they can trust at RT (where he was quietly very good last year, a performance that's lost in his failure in the Super Bowl) if needed.

Kyle Long, if healthy, can be a major upgrade at RG or a quality starter at RT. It's a depth signing with a large amount of upside but again goes to building depth and creating some flexibility through redundancy.

It all sets up, to me, to being able to create competition at as many spots as possible.

They're not going to pin LT on one guy now (unless they trade assets to acquire one). If they end up drafting at tackle at 31 or lower, they can throw that person in a comp with Niang and play the best guy.
I don't think under any circumstance they have Niang at LT
O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.