Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 05-23-2024, 04:11 PM  
Kind of a mod

Laid off

Well, new life experience for me. I took a job at a startup in the ed tech field around 3 years ago. Yesterday, I found out that that time was coming to an end. Around 25% of employees were laid off (300ish out of 1200ish) including me and my entire team.

They're venture-capital funded, and while I wasn't entirely surprised that layoffs were coming given some pretty rough financial headwinds this year, I wasn't at all expecting them to just cut my entire function. Kind of surreal.

I knew that startups were notoriously shaky when it comes to stability, and though it sucks to see it come to an end so abruptly, I suppose it's nice to have made a lot of money off of a bunch of investors. The severance package is, honestly, kind of crazy (4 months pay + 6 months paid health insurance + my laptop + free online classes + a plethora of job placement services). Thanks, VC funds!

In the end, I don't regret anything, but it's a very weird feeling to be out of a job for the first time since I was probably 14. It's hard to know what to do with myself, though I figure my "job" becomes job hunting...next week.

No need for sympathy - I'm actually kind of excited to look for something new. I'll at least have plenty of time to try and fail to fix my shit over the summer.

Last edited by DaFace; 05-23-2024 at 05:59 PM..
DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-23-2024, 04:49 PM   #16
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat View Post
Damn, I want to take a job with them just so I can get laid off.
This but unironically
carcosa is obviously part of the inner Circle.carcosa is obviously part of the inner Circle.carcosa is obviously part of the inner Circle.carcosa is obviously part of the inner Circle.carcosa is obviously part of the inner Circle.carcosa is obviously part of the inner Circle.carcosa is obviously part of the inner Circle.carcosa is obviously part of the inner Circle.carcosa is obviously part of the inner Circle.carcosa is obviously part of the inner Circle.carcosa is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-23-2024, 05:12 PM   #17
I'm with the Banned

Damn, man. Sorry to hear that.

I got laid off about 2 years ago to the day... I was devastated, wasn't sure what to do. Where to go, how i was going to pay the mortgage etc. I can say that it definitely worked out. Found a job that paid about 50% more than what I was previously making. And it strengthened the bond with my wife and I. It could have broken us, but she was a rock that never wavered with her support. We came out of it better and with a stronger marriage than i could have imagined, although it didn't feel like it while going through it.

Wishing the best of job searching upon you, sir. Good luck!
Fansy the Famous Bard threw an interception on a screen pass.Fansy the Famous Bard threw an interception on a screen pass.Fansy the Famous Bard threw an interception on a screen pass.Fansy the Famous Bard threw an interception on a screen pass.Fansy the Famous Bard threw an interception on a screen pass.Fansy the Famous Bard threw an interception on a screen pass.Fansy the Famous Bard threw an interception on a screen pass.Fansy the Famous Bard threw an interception on a screen pass.Fansy the Famous Bard threw an interception on a screen pass.Fansy the Famous Bard threw an interception on a screen pass.Fansy the Famous Bard threw an interception on a screen pass.
Old 05-23-2024, 05:15 PM   #18
NFL's #1 Ermines Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties View Post
Rain Man will be calling soon.
Yeah, I plan to razz him mercilessly.

(But after that, I'm here to help, DaFace.)
Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-23-2024, 05:16 PM   #19
NFL's #1 Ermines Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamonster View Post
Sounds like you're smart so you can land on your feet, but I've heard that the job market in tech is in bad shape. A tech-hostile congress passed legislation in 2023 that now includes R&D (software development, it) as just part of profits. So it' can't be written off. So companies have had to lay off armies of tech workers. I'd be hitting the pavement pretty hard. China does the opposite (100% of R&D is tax free) and their tech scene is growing without bounds.
I wonder if DaFace can learn Chinese in four months via those free online classes. I guess we'll find out.
Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 05:18 PM   #20
Starter

Damn, great severance though.

I was laid off from my job in February that I was with for 6 months and they gave me a one month severance package. I was shocked since I was there for such a short amount of time.

Found a new job with better pay and benefits the next week. Got to enjoy a nice long month long vacation and now I'm way happier.
LittleMeatballNick has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.LittleMeatballNick has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.LittleMeatballNick has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.LittleMeatballNick has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.LittleMeatballNick has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.LittleMeatballNick has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.LittleMeatballNick has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.LittleMeatballNick has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.LittleMeatballNick has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.LittleMeatballNick has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.LittleMeatballNick has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.
Old 05-23-2024, 05:22 PM   #21
MER

How fast can you run a 50?
No Duolingo required.
But you could have a fun fall. 😁
Katipan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Katipan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Katipan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Katipan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Katipan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Katipan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Katipan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Katipan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Katipan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Katipan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Katipan is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-23-2024, 05:50 PM   #22
MVP

We're feeling it at my work too man. Inflation is really hurting the economy. Wish you the best.
ThyKingdomCome15 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliThyKingdomCome15 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliThyKingdomCome15 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliThyKingdomCome15 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliThyKingdomCome15 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliThyKingdomCome15 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliThyKingdomCome15 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliThyKingdomCome15 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliThyKingdomCome15 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliThyKingdomCome15 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliThyKingdomCome15 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
Old 05-23-2024, 05:55 PM   #23
Kind of a mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamonster View Post
Sounds like you're smart so you can land on your feet, but I've heard that the job market in tech is in bad shape. A tech-hostile congress passed legislation in 2023 that now includes R&D (software development, it) as just part of profits. So it' can't be written off. So companies have had to lay off armies of tech workers. I'd be hitting the pavement pretty hard. China does the opposite (100% of R&D is tax free) and their tech scene is growing without bounds.
The good news is that I worked at a tech company, but I'm not a "tech worker" per se. I'm still not going to assume the job hunt will be easy, but I hopefully will at least not be applying to many jobs with a thousand applicants.
DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-23-2024, 05:56 PM   #24
Kind of a mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
Yeah, I plan to razz him mercilessly.

(But after that, I'm here to help, DaFace.)
We do need to catch up sometime soon. I've got time!
Old 05-23-2024, 06:03 PM   #25
Supporter

Best of luck. Sounds like you have the right attitude. On your resume be sure to put down you can fix your shit.
mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-23-2024, 06:03 PM   #26
Consuming CP souls

Take half a year off
Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-23-2024, 06:04 PM   #27
sorta mod-ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlyonsd View Post
Best of luck. Sounds like you have the right attitude. On your resume be sure to put down you can fix your shit.
And be sure to add "ChiefsPlanet Administrator" to your resumes to impress the ladies, if nothing else.
Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 06:04 PM   #28
The Insider

If you are getting ready for work right now then you are probably not DaFace
ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-23-2024, 06:06 PM   #29
TACO SALAD

That's a nice severance for just a few years service. Sucks to be laid off but hopefully the job market isn't too bad
ChiliConCarnage threw an interception on a screen pass.ChiliConCarnage threw an interception on a screen pass.ChiliConCarnage threw an interception on a screen pass.ChiliConCarnage threw an interception on a screen pass.ChiliConCarnage threw an interception on a screen pass.ChiliConCarnage threw an interception on a screen pass.ChiliConCarnage threw an interception on a screen pass.ChiliConCarnage threw an interception on a screen pass.ChiliConCarnage threw an interception on a screen pass.ChiliConCarnage threw an interception on a screen pass.ChiliConCarnage threw an interception on a screen pass.
Old 05-23-2024, 06:07 PM   #30
Cheat Death

Because of your reaction to that chicken plant?

J/k sorry to hear it and fear making this post one day myself

Zero doubts you’ll land with bigger feet though
KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.