Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old Yesterday, 06:07 PM  
Veteran

Brake Repair

Does anyone still work on cars? I'm in the middle of a brake replacement on a 2006 Ford Freestyle. Quote was $1800 for front/rear brakes. That seems really excessive to me. I bought parts from Rock Auto for $225 shipped; new rotors and pads front and rear.

So far, the biggest issue was a wheel was stuck on the hub and we had to call AAA to get it loose. Looks like I will be buying a 3lb dead blow hammer.

Who else likes to save money doing things themselves?

I still enjoy fixing things however getting up off the ground continues to get more difficult as the time goes on. I realize that at some point, my body won't be able to cash the checks my brain is writing...

CK.
crayzkirk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.crayzkirk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.crayzkirk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.crayzkirk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.crayzkirk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.crayzkirk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.crayzkirk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.crayzkirk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.crayzkirk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.crayzkirk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.crayzkirk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old Yesterday, 08:55 PM   #16
Politically Incorrect

It's becoming so difficult to get anyone to do blue collar work that those good tradesmen are jacking up prices like crazy.
scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Yesterday, 11:15 PM   #17
Veteran

Always DIY

I maintain about 6 cars. Brakes I always do, and I always replace rotors every two pad replacements. Shops will often grind the disk to allow the pads to better seat, but I've never found that necessary. Replacing both prevents parts getting frozen from rust. If you have a good jack, an impact wrench and some basic tools, it is a quick job. With the new electronic parking brakes, you might have to buy a program to retract the electronic brake (usually can be done manually too), but more importantly to reset the brake warning light. Easy job.
A8bil has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.A8bil has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.A8bil has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.A8bil has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.A8bil has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.A8bil has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.A8bil has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.A8bil has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.A8bil has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.A8bil has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.A8bil has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.
Old Today, 07:57 AM   #18
Supporter

I will do basic repairs/maintenance like brakes and oil changes.
Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 07:59 AM   #19
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbarrel View Post
It's all fun and games until you get brake cleaner in your pee hole
Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 08:01 AM   #20
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief View Post
I have always done my brakes, not much else, but they are so easy. If the wheel gets stuck on the hub again face away from the tire and give the edge of the rim a good horse kick.
Yeah, I learned that years ago. When most vehicles started going to these alloy rims, that started becoming a regular problem. I think there is some kind of grease or compound that you can put on the back of the rim where it presses against the hub in order to prevent it trying to fuse together like that.
Old Today, 08:41 AM   #21
Veteran

Just replaced both rear brake pads and one rotor on the back of my F150. Paid $265 including labor.

Brakes seem to be one of the jobs I see the craziest range of prices quoted. If you're in the KC area, I'm happy to share my place.
blake5676 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelliblake5676 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelliblake5676 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelliblake5676 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelliblake5676 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelliblake5676 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelliblake5676 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelliblake5676 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelliblake5676 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelliblake5676 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelliblake5676 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
Old Today, 08:54 AM   #22
On Hiatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coochie liquor View Post
I almost always fix my truck unless it’s something that’s beyond my knowledge.
I always work on the tasks I know I can do on my 2012 Camry.....the more complex stuff I leave to the experts.

On my wife's 2023 CRV Hybrid, I let the experts do all the work.
Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.
Old Today, 10:52 AM   #23
Hey Loochy, I'm hooome!

I do almost all of my basic car maintenance and repair...fluid replacements, brake changes, etc. Most of it is really easy and fast. I don't want to pay a 5x markup for someone else to do it when I could already have it done and finished by the time or would have taken me to drive to a mechanic.

And speaking of brakes, I'm switching out the stock semi-metallic pads on my M8 for some ceramic ones. I can't take this insane brake dust.
loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 02:06 PM   #24
MVP

$1800!?! That's robbery.

I always do my own oil, brakes...and most anything that bolts onto the engine like alternator, starter, etc. I did have a stuck rotor last time and a mechanic friend told me, "don't be afraid to give it couple good whacks." That thing was stuck.
kepp threw an interception on a screen pass.kepp threw an interception on a screen pass.kepp threw an interception on a screen pass.kepp threw an interception on a screen pass.kepp threw an interception on a screen pass.kepp threw an interception on a screen pass.kepp threw an interception on a screen pass.kepp threw an interception on a screen pass.kepp threw an interception on a screen pass.kepp threw an interception on a screen pass.kepp threw an interception on a screen pass.
Old Today, 02:13 PM   #25
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kepp View Post
$1800!?! That's robbery.

I always do my own oil, brakes...and most anything that bolts onto the engine like alternator, starter, etc. I did have a stuck rotor last time and a mechanic friend told me, "don't be afraid to give it couple good whacks." That thing was stuck.
Yeah, it is. They also quoted some insane prices for oil pan and valve cover gaskets. So far, I'm about $300 into the job with various extra parts and supplies. Going to pick up a dead blow hammer from Harbor Freight so I don't get stuck with a stuck wheel.

I looked at the estimate and then went to the Napa site to see what the real price was, the shop was jacking up the prices another 50% and I'm confident that shops get better deals than consumers on parts. So far, only one caliper had a bad guide pin and no leaks. Disc brakes are so much easier than the old drum brakes with the adjusters, springs, cable, shoe holders and pins.

I appreciate the replies, I've always worked on my own cars from when I was in high school and couldn't afford to take my old car to the shop. Now, I'm just astounded at what it costs to repair a vehicle.
crayzkirk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.crayzkirk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.crayzkirk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.crayzkirk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.crayzkirk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.crayzkirk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.crayzkirk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.crayzkirk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.crayzkirk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.crayzkirk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.crayzkirk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old Today, 02:59 PM   #26
Fish are scared of me

I've stated this many times over the years but, mixing a little sugar into a gallon of water and pouring it into the gas tank will solve most problems.
Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.