Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 01-16-2009, 04:59 PM  
MVP

104.3 the Fan here in Denver reporting

that Pioli is in negotioans with Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 View Post
I just called the studio, and the call screener said it is a rumor that they have spoken.

Last edited by DenverChief; 01-16-2009 at 05:25 PM..
DenverChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.DenverChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.DenverChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.DenverChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.DenverChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.DenverChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.DenverChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.DenverChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.DenverChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.DenverChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.DenverChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:23 PM   #226
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
I personally think Shanahan was building a Superbowl team in Denver. It's true that he's let the defense go while he focused his efforts on offense - especially the last two years when he liquidated Jake Plummer and started to build a team around Jay Cutler. But right now the Broncos have a powerful young offense and we're moving into this offseason with more cap money and draft picks than we've had in a decade to spend primarily on defense... And at that, Shanahan's personnel guy (Goodman) has done a superb job the last two years - probably better than anyone in the league. You'll note that while Shanahan was fired, we kept his personnel guy - effectively making him the team's GM.
I agree, TJ.
OnTheWarpath15 is obviously part of the inner Circle.OnTheWarpath15 is obviously part of the inner Circle.OnTheWarpath15 is obviously part of the inner Circle.OnTheWarpath15 is obviously part of the inner Circle.OnTheWarpath15 is obviously part of the inner Circle.OnTheWarpath15 is obviously part of the inner Circle.OnTheWarpath15 is obviously part of the inner Circle.OnTheWarpath15 is obviously part of the inner Circle.OnTheWarpath15 is obviously part of the inner Circle.OnTheWarpath15 is obviously part of the inner Circle.OnTheWarpath15 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:31 PM   #227
Sapere Aude

Quote:
Originally Posted by FringeNC View Post
Why in your opinion was he fired?

Basically because Pat got impatient.

I've heard a few insider type things, but most of it is speculation.

At the end of the day, Shanahan wasted a lot of time trying to find a franchise quarterback to run his offense, and in that time, the defense has suffered. Shanahan probably could have kept his job if the Broncos went to the playoffs this season - but with 7 runningbacks on IR, the best he could do was .500.

Them's the breaks.
Taco John is obviously part of the inner Circle.Taco John is obviously part of the inner Circle.Taco John is obviously part of the inner Circle.Taco John is obviously part of the inner Circle.Taco John is obviously part of the inner Circle.Taco John is obviously part of the inner Circle.Taco John is obviously part of the inner Circle.Taco John is obviously part of the inner Circle.Taco John is obviously part of the inner Circle.Taco John is obviously part of the inner Circle.Taco John is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:38 PM   #228
MVP

Quote:

At the end of the day, Shanahan wasted a lot of time trying to find a franchise quarterback to run his offense, and in that time, the defense has suffered. Shanahan probably could have kept his job if the Broncos went to the playoffs this season - but with 7 runningbacks on IR, the best he could do was .500.

Them's the breaks.
Our meltdown against SD cost Carl and Shanahan's jobs, and soon to be Herm's. Tampa's loss to Oakland cost Gruden his, and allowed Philly to do what they've done. The doormats of the AFC West had a big impact on this NFL season.
FringeNC would the whole thing.FringeNC would the whole thing.FringeNC would the whole thing.FringeNC would the whole thing.FringeNC would the whole thing.FringeNC would the whole thing.FringeNC would the whole thing.FringeNC would the whole thing.FringeNC would the whole thing.FringeNC would the whole thing.FringeNC would the whole thing.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:39 PM   #229
Unsparing

Quote:
Our meltdown against SD cost Carl and Shanahan's jobs, and soon to be Herm's. Tampa's loss to Oakland cost Gruden his, and allowed Philly to do what they've done. The doormats of the AFC West had a big impact on this NFL season.

Hooray for Epic Suck!!!
Sweet Daddy Hate is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sweet Daddy Hate is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sweet Daddy Hate is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sweet Daddy Hate is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sweet Daddy Hate is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sweet Daddy Hate is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sweet Daddy Hate is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sweet Daddy Hate is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sweet Daddy Hate is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sweet Daddy Hate is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sweet Daddy Hate is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:04 PM   #230
#triggering

Quote:
I personally think Shanahan was building a Superbowl team in Denver. It's true that he's let the defense go while he focused his efforts on offense - especially the last two years when he liquidated Jake Plummer and started to build a team around Jay Cutler. But right now the Broncos have a powerful young offense and we're moving into this offseason with more cap money and draft picks than we've had in a decade to spend primarily on defense... And at that, Shanahan's personnel guy (Goodman) has done a superb job the last two years - probably better than anyone in the league. You'll note that while Shanahan was fired, we kept his personnel guy - effectively making him the team's GM.
It's definitely going to be odd not seeing him on the sideline, but I am fine with the change. Shanahan built a nice offense, but the defense... man, that has been a big pile of stink for years and ultimately that is why I'm fine with the change.

It's interesting that they are keeping Dennison and Tuner - good for them, but I really hope they focus a bulk of that cap space and draft on the defense this offseason.

I'm tired of the FA misses on guys like Robertson, let's try something new.

Offensively, let's focus on that primary RB once again and keep a number of the guys we have now as insurance.

It's going to be interesting and I think it will be good. A lot of key pieces to the puzzle are there, now fix the defense.
Mile High Mania has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mile High Mania has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mile High Mania has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mile High Mania has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mile High Mania has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mile High Mania has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mile High Mania has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mile High Mania has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mile High Mania has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mile High Mania has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mile High Mania has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:28 PM   #231
Starter

Quote:
And the Chiefs ruined the Patriots title hopes.
RUSH must have mowed badgirl's lawn.RUSH must have mowed badgirl's lawn.RUSH must have mowed badgirl's lawn.RUSH must have mowed badgirl's lawn.RUSH must have mowed badgirl's lawn.RUSH must have mowed badgirl's lawn.RUSH must have mowed badgirl's lawn.RUSH must have mowed badgirl's lawn.RUSH must have mowed badgirl's lawn.RUSH must have mowed badgirl's lawn.RUSH must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:21 PM   #232
I'll be back.

Quote:
Shanahan wasted a lot of time trying to find a franchise quarterback to run his offense, and in that time, the defense has suffered.
Please, man. You act like Shanahan wasn't even trying to fix the defense. The truth you don't seem to want to accept is that he ****ing failed horribly at it. The minute he fired Coyer it all went downhill.

Fortunately, with Pioli to hold his hand in Kansas City, we won't have that problem.
Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:46 PM   #233
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanm View Post
I would be OK with Gun coming back if a new HC would let Gun run HIS attack style defense instead of the shitty hybrid cover 2 shit that Herm made him run. If the abortion of a _efense that was unveiled on the field this past fall was all Guns doing and not mandated by Herm, then I want Gunther's head on a platter.
He had the defense under Vermeil and sucked. IMO, he's incompetent. Scheme aside, it's frustrating watching the defense repeat the same deficiencies every season.
penchief 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellipenchief 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellipenchief 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellipenchief 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellipenchief 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellipenchief 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellipenchief 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellipenchief 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellipenchief 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellipenchief 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellipenchief 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
Old 01-17-2009, 09:02 PM   #234
Unsparing

Quote:
Originally Posted by penchief View Post
He had the defense under Vermeil and sucked. IMO, he's incompetent. Scheme aside, it's frustrating watching the defense repeat the same deficiencies every season.
Yep, his usefulness has past.
Sweet Daddy Hate is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sweet Daddy Hate is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sweet Daddy Hate is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sweet Daddy Hate is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sweet Daddy Hate is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sweet Daddy Hate is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sweet Daddy Hate is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sweet Daddy Hate is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sweet Daddy Hate is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sweet Daddy Hate is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sweet Daddy Hate is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:04 PM   #235
I'll be back.

Satan! GET BEHIND ME!
Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:30 PM   #236
Mahomes: We Are All Witnesses

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanm View Post
I would be OK with Gun coming back if a new HC would let Gun run HIS attack style defense
I can't believe there are people STILL defending Goonther.

The Chiefs' defense started faltering during Goonther's final season as the Chiefs head coach... that had nothing to do with a "hybrid Cover 2" you are describing in your post.

Goonther's defenses were mediocre and kept the Chiefs out of the playoffs during Vermeil's final season in KC... and that had nothing to do with a "hybrid Cover 2".
FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:47 PM   #237
All Motor!

Quote:

Them's the breaks.
That's ridiculous. The Broncos rescources have been spent primarily on defense for the last sevaral years. Hell, was it 2 years ago he spent 8 picks on three players on the defense?

That was just the year before last. You call that good dratfting? You're easy to please.
CrazyHorse has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.CrazyHorse has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.CrazyHorse has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.CrazyHorse has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.CrazyHorse has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.CrazyHorse has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.CrazyHorse has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.CrazyHorse has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.CrazyHorse has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.CrazyHorse has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.CrazyHorse has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:57 PM   #238
Unsparing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIAdragon View Post
Anything is better than Herm
No MIA, no it's not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerm View Post
Pioli + Shanny = DREAM TEAM

It would not shock me at all.
I don't dream of having my dick cut off and my asshole sewn shut, buy hey; to each his own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie Bunker View Post

I'd love to have him groom Stafford or Sanchez. Let Pioli pick the DC and it's potentially dominant front office.

This would be my jizz my pants hire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bad Guy View Post
My head is spinning.
Quote:
No shit.

The last hour has been bat-shit crazy.
What the **** did you two drink today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk digler View Post
****ing awesome!
Offfffffffffff course; why am I NOT surprised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy View Post
I love the idea, the key to the whole thing is who would become the next defensive coordinator under Shanny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claythan View Post
I'm not surprised.

Clearly Clark Hunt was swayed by my column recommending Shanahan as head coach.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donger View Post
Excellent.
Quote:
GOD I AM SO ****ING STOKED

It's not DaVinci, but it IS an Epic Rendering that so beautifully depicts the brain-power of the True Fan/Full reerun Chiefs fan who would support the hiring of Mike Shanahan.
TO THE SMITHSONIAN!

Quote:
I hate to be a pimp, but Mike Shanahan news has been hitting our premium boards for over a week.

Of course this tidbit was free in the article I wrote 12 days ago if any of you had bothered to pay attention:

http://kan.scout.com/2/827395.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 View Post
Nice.

If true, he gets to groom Sanchez or Stafford and Jam Culter and the Donks twice a year!

Hooah!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBull View Post
Shanahan would be great for Thigpen
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen_kcCard View Post
I would like Shanny just for the sheer "ass in thier face" every time we beat the donks with him standing on the sidelines in red.

All of the negatives about him will be gone as long as he really isn't looking for sole control of the roster and Pioli can get a solid D coord in place to take care of that side of the ball. Chan is a good fit with him already and I like him to stay with or without the rat.

He also has the experience to be something like what they had in NE with Pioli as far as a football mind to be a partner with, but in this case it would be Scott with the final say instead of BB.

It would be hard to forget the flash of disgust when I see his face, but I would like him (eventually) if he were ours.
Quote:
If he brings Jeremy Bates to be the OC, and lets Pioli have input on the DC, then I'm all for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laz View Post
as long as shannarat doesn't have full control .... i'm good with it.

keep him around for 5 years or so and we should be completely rebuilt and can start looking for his replacement. Hopefully shannarat cries when we fire him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO View Post
dont forget shannahan's hatred for the raiders also, thats one thing that would be AWESOME!!! a HC who actually hates the other teams in our division as much as most of us fans(totally unlike perm)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Chief Homer View Post
Im not sure how I feel about this,all the years of distain for the guy and now he could be our new coach.

Herm or Shannahan...............Shannahan or Herm...........

Bye Herm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT58HOF View Post
Pioli+Shanahan
Pioli+Gruden
Pioli+Marty
Pioli+Any of the 3= CHAMPIONSHIPS!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laz View Post
The way i look at is this ........ if i'm gonna hate our head coach, i might as well hate a good one.

carl
vermeil
herm
gunther

omg ...... bring on the rat!!

i've been separating my love on the team from my feelings bout the head coach ever since Marty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suds79 View Post
Woah. Probably just rumor but I seriously can't think of a better pair of talent when you think of Pioli & Shanahan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Chief Homer View Post

meh...... if it gets rid of Herm I'll settle for the 32nd pick in the draft
Yes, I've always thought the SUPER-SIZE Shit Sandwich tasted MUCH better than the regular one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigChiefFan View Post
I like the idea of Shanahan as the Head Coach, I just didn't want him, if he was going to be calling the shots on player personnel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief103182 View Post
I'd take him in a heartbeat. Him and Pioli could build something here.
Isn't ONE Hindenburg tragedy enough? I'm sure people in the old west thought the outhouse was pretty nifty before indoor plumbing, yes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micjones View Post
In talks with Shanahan ay?
Wow... I wouldn't have a problem with that AT ALL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Towne View Post
The Rat is OK by me.
We were SO close. There was some respect however minuscule starting to happen. And now this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCChiefsfan88 View Post
Shanahan is a good coach, especially on offense. Put him under a good GM like Pioli and it should be a dynamic combination.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRONUS View Post
A proven winner and Pioli would make me one very happy fan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstater View Post

Alright, back to the fooball portion of the thread. I'd be Ok, with Shannahan, but he's far from my first choice. I just see him wanting more control several years down the road.
Quote:
Yep. If Shanahan could hold is ego in check, I'd love to have him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts View Post
Depending on Shanahan's outlook on coaching the Chiefs, he could easily be my first choice. If he's willing to allow Scott to bring in a D coordinator for him, I don't see a better option. If we're going to draft a franchise quarterback, who better to develop him?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsshrink View Post
No way this happens if Shannahan wants personnel control which I'm sure by now Shanny has learned his lesson of wearing too many hats in the previous org. Shanny the GM got Shanny the Coach fired.

Hands down Shanny is the best X's and O's guy 'offensively' and not to mention the best QB teacher(ala-could improve Thigpen tremendously) in the NFL. Pioli and Shanny have great admiration for one another and Shanny has always wanted to work with Gunther because he greatly respects him. Shanny really likes the Chiefs young core of talent coming up (Flowers,Carr,Bowe,Dorsey). Shanny I would think at this point would think I can just be a football coach and leave all the other stuff(GM,personnel) to somebody else and I have 45mil under the cap, Pioli,Gunther, good core of young talent and Arrowhead stadium.

I don't want him if he wants personnel control though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBull View Post
I know a lot of people don't like him, but I think Shanahan would be great.

Give him a good gm to work with and outstanding ppl in the pro player personnel dept and I'll bet he'll easily be one of the best coaches in the league.

Given the fact we have Pioli, Im welcomed to having Shanahan as HC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MahiMike View Post
Bring him in! Especially if Spagnuolo is gone now. Blessing in disguise IMO.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:57 PM   #239
Hillbilly Pharoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
Marty?
Seriously what is all the hatred for Marty? He made us the 2nd winningest franchise in the 90's. his last job he went 13-3. Some bad coaching and a lot of bad luck in the playoffs ya, but he's one of the best coaches in the history of the NFL period. His day will come.

Why do so many hate a guy that did so many great things for this Team? He turned this team around from being a turd to a perenial playoff team. Dont want him back if you like, but to laugh at him like he's a joke is ridiculous.
melbar must have mowed badgirl's lawn.melbar must have mowed badgirl's lawn.melbar must have mowed badgirl's lawn.melbar must have mowed badgirl's lawn.melbar must have mowed badgirl's lawn.melbar must have mowed badgirl's lawn.melbar must have mowed badgirl's lawn.melbar must have mowed badgirl's lawn.melbar must have mowed badgirl's lawn.melbar must have mowed badgirl's lawn.melbar must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:50 PM   #240
Mahomes: We Are All Witnesses

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbar View Post
Seriously what is all the hatred for Marty? He made us the 2nd winningest franchise in the 90's. his last job he went 13-3. Some bad coaching and a lot of bad luck in the playoffs ya, but he's one of the best coaches in the history of the NFL period. His day will come.

Why do so many hate a guy that did so many great things for this Team? He turned this team around from being a turd to a perenial playoff team. Dont want him back if you like, but to laugh at him like he's a joke is ridiculous.

Maybe because we know how the story ends with Marty... regular season success followed by a flameout in the playoffs.
FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.