Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 03-04-2022, 08:15 AM  
synthesis2

EV Cars/Trucks

Since I was banned from the Gas thread for simply saying I was glad I have a EV car now I thought I'd answer the question that was posed to me by another before I was banned.(still have zero idea why.

We have a Model 3 long range, it gets around 340 miles per charge and our all in was 50k for the car, $500 for the Wall Charger (you don't need but its cool looking)

Our previous car was a Porsche Cayenne, here is what we spent in the year we owned it. My wife is a rep and uses as her company car. ( she gets paid mileage) so we paid 40k for it. Was a year old when we got it. She drove it 50K in a year, we had to use premium unleaded gas and it got around 18 miles per gallon. We had to get it serviced 3 times with a average cost of $500-700 on each service. I don't know how much we paid in gas but lets assume we still had it today and Premium was going for 4.50 a gallon, it would be around 12-14k on gas a year, along with $1500-2000 in services so our all in each year was 13.5-16k per year in service and gas.

With our Tesla our electricity has seemed to go up $40-50 per month, so lets call it $600 plus tires rotated $100, windshield wiper fluid $5 so for the year its around $800 vs. 13.5-16k.

So the 10k cost difference was made up in less than a year and now we are saving 12k plus per year compared. Plus she loves the car much more than the Porsche.

I know compared with a ford focus the math may not ever make sense but for a nicer car its been awesome for us.
synthesis2 has disabled reputation
Old 05-29-2024, 05:03 PM   #211
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicHef View Post
Wow, they invented hybrids?
No. Al Gore did that after his work on the internet . Duh.
Peter Gibbons is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Peter Gibbons is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Peter Gibbons is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Peter Gibbons is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Peter Gibbons is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Peter Gibbons is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Peter Gibbons is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Peter Gibbons is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Peter Gibbons is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Peter Gibbons is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Peter Gibbons is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 09:44 PM   #212
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghak99 View Post
Taco Bell to the rescue.

Until they figure it out we'll just have to keep letting the cows do it for us. They're even making this cool white stuff and steaks as a byproduct while filling the shit tank powered fuel lines. California is running all the dairy farms off though, so you might have to move if you want shit powered anything before the Taco Bell system gets everyone up and running.
Hey man. Don’t be adding competition to my fertilizer market.

I’ll take all the shit I can get.
Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-19-2024, 06:05 AM   #213
Supporter

EV maker Fiskar files for bankruptcy

Fisker filed for bankruptcy protection late on Monday, as the U.S. electric-vehicle maker looks to salvage its operations by selling assets and restructuring its debt after burning through cash in an attempt to ramp up production of its Ocean SUVs.

The hyper-competitive EV market has seen several companies, including Proterra, Lordstown and Electric Last Mile Solutions, file for bankruptcy in the past two years as they grappled with weakening demand, fundraising hurdles and operational challenges from global supply chain issues.

The company, founded by automotive designer Henrik Fisker, flagged doubts about its ability to remain in business in February and later failed to secure an investment from a big automaker, forcing it to rein in operations.

The collapse of its talks with the automaker − which Reuters had reported to be Nissan − meant that it was denied $350 million in funding from an unnamed investor that was contingent on the automaker's investment and forced Fisker to explore options.

"Like other companies in the electric vehicle industry, we have faced various market and macroeconomic headwinds that have impacted our ability to operate efficiently," Fisker said.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ent=newsletter
HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-19-2024, 06:10 AM   #214
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicHef View Post
Yeah, you can test the health of batteries. On cars.com, they report the battery health for the used EVs.
Interesting point. I noticed a Tesla battery for sale on FB marketplace a couple days ago for $10500.00

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...5-187be65a1d45
HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-19-2024, 09:30 AM   #215
Valiant 'The Thread Killer'

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiEd View Post
Japanese Automakers Turn to Gas, Biofuel Engines as EV Adoption Stalls

Just as surging gas prices during the 1970s provided Japanese carmakers with an opportunity, Japan Inc. is ready to capitalize on the greatest fear on American roads today: running out of charge.

Toyota, Mazda, and Subaru are forging a new path in the fledgling era of all-electric vehicles. On Tuesday, the three automakers revealed prototypes of smaller combustion engines that will work in tandem with battery-powered engines and can run on standard gasoline as well as hydrogen and a variety of other fuels.

You Can Go Your Own Way
Many manufacturers had plans for all-electric lineups in the next decade or so, but most have scaled down those ambitions as EVs struggle with low adoption rates. Toyota’s Prius helped popularize hybrid cars, sales of which have become a real boon for the Japanese automaker. And now, instead of trying to take a page out of Tesla or BYD’s book, the company is looking to evolve its hybrid design toward a carbon-neutral future:

Toyota announced Monday it was partnering with petroleum companies Idemitsu Kosan, Eneos, and Mitsubishi to develop carbon-neutral fuels and make them available in Japan by 2030. Biofuels can be considered carbon-neutral as they release fewer emissions than gasoline, and the CO2 they set off could be absorbed by the plants (corn, soybeans, sugarcane) that produce the fuel.
During a presentation Tuesday, Subaru CEO Atsushi Osaki said the companies are committed to “preserving the Earth’s precious environment for future generations.” However, the auto industry must make “steady, realistic progress toward carbon neutrality” and that it’s “ultimately up to customers to decide what car is best for them.”
Bufford Barr, COO of New Day Hydrogen, sees passenger cars as part of building the clean hydrogen market, but he knows it will take a while.

“The problem with passenger vehicles is just getting enough of them on the market and that they’re using enough hydrogen to justify the stations,” he told The Daily Upside. “If you have three fueling stations in the entire state of Colorado, is that enough for you as a private vehicle owner to feel comfortable with? The answer is probably no. But for commercial fleets that have the same routes day-in-and-day-out, those three stations can give plenty of coverage.”

Electric Boogaloo: This isn’t to say Toyota has checked out of the EV game. Sure, the company hasn’t been an EV juggernaut, having only one model and opposing tailpipe emission requirements proposed by the Biden administration last year, but it sees some writing on the wall. Toyota’s Chief Technology Officer Hiroki Nakajima told the Financial Times that the company’s investment into the new engines would be a “magnitude smaller” than the money going toward electric vehicles and battery development. EV sales, while slow, are still going up. By 2030, one out of every four new passenger cars sold will be an EV, according to S&P Global, so it wouldn’t be the wisest move to ditch the solely battery-powered vehicles altogether.

Written by Griffin Kelly
I don't know why there wasn't a.greater push on hybrids.for 20 plus years before ev was pushed.

Just seems like missed step and easy marketing..50 plus mpg and a 18 gallon tank on a car get you 900 miles.

All of the rental car companies cancelled their ev orders because no one wants to drive them on vacation or traveling. They offered our company a bunch of them for super cheap because their inventory is so large.

It is like most of the citizens were trying to tell them what they wanted and they scoffed them for the governments ev checks.

Seems the downward trend started after Chicago's winter last year and all the dead cars.
Valiant threw an interception on a screen pass.Valiant threw an interception on a screen pass.Valiant threw an interception on a screen pass.Valiant threw an interception on a screen pass.Valiant threw an interception on a screen pass.Valiant threw an interception on a screen pass.Valiant threw an interception on a screen pass.Valiant threw an interception on a screen pass.Valiant threw an interception on a screen pass.Valiant threw an interception on a screen pass.Valiant threw an interception on a screen pass.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 10:10 AM   #216
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiant View Post
I don't know why there wasn't a.greater push on hybrids.for 20 plus years before ev was pushed.

Just seems like missed step and easy marketing..50 plus mpg and a 18 gallon tank on a car get you 900 miles.

All of the rental car companies cancelled their ev orders because no one wants to drive them on vacation or traveling. They offered our company a bunch of them for super cheap because their inventory is so large.

It is like most of the citizens were trying to tell them what they wanted and they scoffed them for the governments ev checks.

Seems the downward trend started after Chicago's winter last year and all the dead cars.
That is interesting and had not heard that.

Personally, we lucked into buying a hybrid at the right time (3 years ago) and it has been such a money saver. I have zero emotional attachment to it, purely transportation but it gets 52 mpg.
Old 06-19-2024, 12:16 PM   #217
Valiant 'The Thread Killer'

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiEd View Post
That is interesting and had not heard that.

Personally, we lucked into buying a hybrid at the right time (3 years ago) and it has been such a money saver. I have zero emotional attachment to it, purely transportation but it gets 52 mpg.
Yeah not going to lie. The new Prius actually looks nice for the first time ever. I am eyeing the hybrid for how much driving I do.
Valiant threw an interception on a screen pass.Valiant threw an interception on a screen pass.Valiant threw an interception on a screen pass.Valiant threw an interception on a screen pass.Valiant threw an interception on a screen pass.Valiant threw an interception on a screen pass.Valiant threw an interception on a screen pass.Valiant threw an interception on a screen pass.Valiant threw an interception on a screen pass.Valiant threw an interception on a screen pass.Valiant threw an interception on a screen pass.
Old 06-19-2024, 12:36 PM   #218
Hey Loochy, I'm hooome!

Quote:
Yeah not going to lie. The new Prius actually looks nice for the first time ever. I am eyeing the hybrid for how much driving I do.

It's nice that vehicle manufacturers finally realized that hybrids and EVs don't have to look like stupid eggs.
loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-19-2024, 12:40 PM   #219
Here We Go Again

Quote:

I'm leaning towards a plug-in hybrid for my next car. Enough battery to run full electric around town for errands and to work, then switch to hybrid mode for road trips. Never have to worry about electric capacity, and get phenomenal MPG when running in hybrid mode.
lawrenceRaider has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.lawrenceRaider has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.lawrenceRaider has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.lawrenceRaider has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.lawrenceRaider has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.lawrenceRaider has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.lawrenceRaider has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.lawrenceRaider has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.lawrenceRaider has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.lawrenceRaider has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.lawrenceRaider has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
Old 06-19-2024, 01:41 PM   #220
Supporter

another article on Fisker.

EV Maker Fisker Folds in a Troubled EV Market

Fisker, whose flagship electric vehicle holds the distinction of being the worst car YouTube gearhead Marques Brownlee has ever reviewed, filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy.

The real surprise is that the California-based EV manufacturer and a handful of other EV startups have managed to stick around as long as they have in a rapidly changing EV landscape.

Everybody Wants to be Tesla
Even Tesla, the EV startup that remains the envy of most car makers, is far from Ludicrous Mode. In the first quarter, total automotive revenues were down 13% year-over-year, and its stock is one of the worst performers on the S&P 500, plummeting 25% year-to-date. As for the Big Three — Ford, General Motors, and Stellantis — they’re still figuring out their EV game plan, and hybrids are all the rage anyhow. US EV sales went up last year, but still only amounted to less than 10% of all car purchases, according to Kelley Blue Book.

Small wonder EV startups are dropping like electric flies. Besides Fisker, the past few years have brought the demise of Lordstown Motors, Arrival, and Electric Last Mile. EV big-rig maker Nikola is still in the game, although its CEO was sentenced to four years in prison last December for exaggerating the company tech’s capabilities to investors. The other EV startup survivors are doing better. Slightly:

Since its November 2021 IPO, Rivian has seen its share price drop around 90%, and from 2021 to the end of 2023, it incurred roughly $17 billion in losses. If all goes to plan and the company gets its more affordable R2 model to production by early 2026, Rivian might just be able to scale its business around the SUV’s potential success. Keyword: might.
Lucid has fared a little better: Its stock has fallen just 85% since its July 2021 SPAC, and being majority-owned by Saudi Arabia’s $700 billion Public Investment Fund suggests some wiggle room. Though maybe not much; in May, Lucid cut 6% of its workforce — or 400 employees — ahead of its Gravity SUV launch later this year, after cutting 1,300 workers last year.
How the East was Won: Meanwhile, halfway around the world, Chinese manufacturers are churning out more than half of all the EVs produced anywhere. Brands like BYD and Geely are able to price their cars extremely low thanks to cheap labor costs, hefty government subsidies, and easy access to battery materials. You won’t find it in the US because of poor geopolitical relations and a 100% import tariff, but don’t be surprised to see flocks of BYD’s $10,000 Seagull elsewhere in the world.
Old 06-19-2024, 03:06 PM   #221
Kind of a mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider View Post
I'm leaning towards a plug-in hybrid for my next car. Enough battery to run full electric around town for errands and to work, then switch to hybrid mode for road trips. Never have to worry about electric capacity, and get phenomenal MPG when running in hybrid mode.
I've probably said it before in this thread, but my Rav4 Prime is the best car I've ever owned.
DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-19-2024, 05:11 PM   #222
Hey Loochy, I'm hooome!

Last week we had a Mustang Mach E as a rental car. My wife loved it.
loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-19-2024, 05:21 PM   #223
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by loochy View Post
Last week we had a Mustang Mach E as a rental car. My wife loved it.
I bet that was a fun ride. How far did you go, or how many miles?

Knowing what I know about electrical motors I imagine the acceleration is instant.
Old 06-19-2024, 09:55 PM   #224
Sometimes it's black and white

Quote:

I'm not against hybrids, they have their upsides. But you still have all the downside of having to maintain an ICE engine and lug around batteries.

All electric is still pretty good for two family cars with garage. But plug in hybrids certainly have a place in near medium future.
Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 06-19-2024, 09:57 PM   #225
Sometimes it's black and white

Yeah, the Chinese are serious about EVs and driverless cars. They are taking their lumps, but I wouldn't write them off.
Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.