Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 02-26-2020, 10:28 PM  
MVP

***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***

A couple of reminders...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwana View Post
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartgod View Post
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

Last edited by Bearcat; 03-25-2020 at 08:56 AM.. Reason: adding spoiler tag
JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:56 AM   #18361
"Think BOOM!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcellus View Post
Pretty comical, obviously I am wrong, not the models that have been way wrong the whole time. Makes sense.

I understand the math, I understand it's not linear, I also can tell when something is way ****ed up.

I am not saying we shouldn't be social distancing, I am not saying it doesn't work, I am not mad the numbers are better, I am simply pointing out how far off this stuff is and there is no real logic that explains it other than they were way wrong. Yea the social distancing compliance would explain some of it but come on man.

No idea why people are so obsessed with defending these models.
Perhaps you should just post that the math doesn't add up again. In CAPS.
Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 11:01 AM   #18362
Diablo Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donger View Post
Perhaps you should just post that the math doesn't add up again. In CAPS.
Maybe you should eat a whole bag of dicks.

BTW if the math added up they wouldn't be revising the model by about 25% every 4 days.
Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:02 AM   #18363
Hockey Town

Quote:

BTW if the math added up they wouldn't be revising the model by about 25% every 4 days.
Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:04 AM   #18364
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by petegz28 View Post
For today? Yes. If you throw in NJ then over 50% are from those two alone. While that's sad it's also good in some ways, I guess.
Quote:

Maybe he all ready has? It could explain why he is how he is
R Clark wants to die in a aids tree fire.R Clark wants to die in a aids tree fire.R Clark wants to die in a aids tree fire.R Clark wants to die in a aids tree fire.R Clark wants to die in a aids tree fire.R Clark wants to die in a aids tree fire.R Clark wants to die in a aids tree fire.R Clark wants to die in a aids tree fire.R Clark wants to die in a aids tree fire.R Clark wants to die in a aids tree fire.R Clark wants to die in a aids tree fire.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 11:05 AM   #18365
Kind of a mod

Quote:
Pretty comical, obviously I am wrong, not the models that have been way wrong the whole time. Makes sense.

I understand the math, I understand it's not linear, I also can tell when something is way ****ed up.

I am not saying we shouldn't be social distancing, I am not saying it doesn't work, I am not mad the numbers are better, I am simply pointing out how far off this stuff is and there is no real logic that explains it other than they were way wrong. Yea the social distancing compliance would explain some of it but come on man.

I'm not defending the model. I'm just pushing back on the idea that it's appropriate to react with "OMG THE MODELS ARE ALL WRONG AND WE SHOULD NEVER HAVE DONE ANYTHING!!!!!111!!ONE!!!" when the numbers shift.

If a Category 5 hurricane is making a beeline for Miami, is it not appropriate for leaders to tell people to GTFO? That happens regularly (well, maybe not Cat 5 necessarily), and it's not at all uncommon for storms to shift and end up veering off into the ocean and not impacting people on land much, if at all. Does that mean that, in the future, leaders should just tell people to stay put even if all the models show a Cat 5 hurricane bearing down? Absolutely not. Ignoring the model entirely could result in a huge catastrophe and thousands of people dead.

This isn't any different. It appears that, through a combination of better understanding of the "storm" by watching its track and our own mitigation efforts, the models are now suggesting that the damage won't be as severe. That doesn't mean that the model was "wrong" in the first place - it just means that better information has resulted in a different understanding.

Again, models should be taken with a grain of salt. But you seem to keep implying that they're completely useless and should be ignored. Doing that would certainly have resulted in far more deaths than we're seeing right now, and that's not really debatable.

I just don't understand what point you're trying to make other than...

DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 12 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 11:06 AM   #18366
"Think BOOM!"

Quote:

The funny part is that you just mentioned that you understand linear compared to exponential growth.

You just are apparently horrible with math, or have another agenda.
Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:08 AM   #18367
New and Improved

Quote:
The funny part is that you just mentioned that you understand linear compared to exponential growth.

You just are apparently horrible with math, or have another agenda
How about both!
stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:09 AM   #18368
MVP

Quote:

You very clearly do not know the math if you dont understand how having 90% following the SIP orders instead of 50% would screw up estimates so much. You don't see how having 165 mil people out spreading this instead of 33 mil people would have a huge impact on the total # of deaths and infected?

Really?
dlphg9 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dlphg9 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dlphg9 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dlphg9 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dlphg9 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dlphg9 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dlphg9 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dlphg9 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dlphg9 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dlphg9 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dlphg9 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:11 AM   #18369
"Think BOOM!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlphg9 View Post
You very clearly do not know the math if you dont understand how having 90% following the SIP orders instead of 50% would screw up estimates so much. You don't see how having 165 mil people out spreading this instead of 33 mil people would have a huge impact on the total # of deaths and infected?

Really?
On top of that, if the R0 of this bug is really in the 3 to 5 range, the numbers get very large very quickly.

Thank God we did what we did when we did it, and that people are taking it seriously.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:11 AM   #18370
Administrator

Quote:

Apparently no one wants to actually answer your question but would rather suck Hamas off.

The reason the models have been so far off is because they are based on data that we simply don't have so we are forced to make assumptions. In theory, as time goes on we accumulate more data and can make fewer guesses and the models become more accurate.

So, yes, the answer is that they were "way wrong" but that's to be expected. With so many unknowns, if a model had been even somewhat accurate it would have been a minor miracle.
AustinChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.AustinChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.AustinChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.AustinChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.AustinChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.AustinChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.AustinChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.AustinChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.AustinChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.AustinChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.AustinChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 3 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 11:12 AM   #18371
Administrator

Quote:

If you need some, I still have some leftover in the bag I was supposed to eat a while back...
AustinChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.AustinChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.AustinChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.AustinChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.AustinChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.AustinChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.AustinChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.AustinChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.AustinChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.AustinChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.AustinChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 11:13 AM   #18372
"Think BOOM!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinChief View Post
Apparently no one wants to actually answer your question but would rather suck Hamas off.

The reason the models have been so far off is because they are based on data that we simply don't have so we are forced to make assumptions. In theory, as time goes on we accumulate more data and can make fewer guesses and the models become more accurate.

So, yes, the answer is that they were "way wrong" but that's to be expected. With so many unknowns, if a model had been even somewhat accurate it would have been a minor miracle.
Well, the 50% compliance was clearly a guess, as it had to be, but apparently the 90% is known with much higher certainty, no? I'd like to find out how they got that figure, though. I thought I read something about mobile phone tracking, but that's a can of worms that I'd rather not open at this stage.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:16 AM   #18373
Inmem 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinChief View Post
If you need some, I still have some leftover in the bag I was supposed to eat a while back...
Demonpwz can get u sum at Aldi's
Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:19 AM   #18374
"Think BOOM!"

CDC considers loosening guidelines for some exposed to virus

https://apnews.com/fab319a90ead9aae057f7fab059c2ccb

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is considering changing its guidelines for self-isolation to make it easier for those who have been exposed to someone with the coronavirus to return to work if they are without symptoms.

The public health agency, in conjunction with the White House coronavirus task force, is considering an announcement as soon as Wednesday, Vice President Mike Pence said.

Under the proposed guidance, people who are exposed to someone infected would be allowed back on the job if they have no symptoms, test their temperature twice a day and wear a face mask, said a person familiar with the proposal under consideration. The person was not authorized to publicly discuss the draft because it had not been finalized and described the proposal on the condition of anonymity.

Snip
Old 04-08-2020, 11:21 AM   #18375
Administrator

Quote:
Well, the 50% compliance was clearly a guess, as it had to be, but apparently the 90% is known with much higher certainty, no? I'd like to find out how they got that figure, though. I thought I read something about mobile phone tracking, but that's a can of worms that I'd rather not open at this stage.
My understanding is that it is not based on any hard data at all. It is based on going back over the data and finding a figure that fits the reality. Actually it's a whole set of figures that are adjusted to make the models' algorithms fit the data.

You start with an educated guess and adjust as more hard data comes in. The problem is that (as shown by an alternate model in the UK) you can have vastly different models that fit with the limited data we have at this point.