Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 09-16-2018, 05:02 PM  
CP'S "MOST HATED" 😆

How would YOU try to improve the defense?

Amid all the hysteria over our two wins and offensive performances, I'm just wondering what can realistically be done to improve the defense? Now we know Berry will hopefully be returning soon which should be massive, but with the way this offense is looking, just a slight improvement on defense could take us to the promise land yall. So does Veach sit, be patient and hope Berry is enough to improve things? Should he get on the phone and beg Breeland to join the kingdom? Or should he seek to make a trade of some sort?

I think I'd probably go with trying to get Breeland in and with Berry added to the mix I think the unit would be vastly improved.

...Breeland...Berry...Parker...Fuller...

With Nelson In the slot. Surely that would be enough?

Last edited by UChieffyBugger; 09-16-2018 at 05:12 PM..
UChieffyBugger < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.UChieffyBugger < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.UChieffyBugger < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.UChieffyBugger < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.UChieffyBugger < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.UChieffyBugger < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.UChieffyBugger < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.UChieffyBugger < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.UChieffyBugger < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.UChieffyBugger < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.UChieffyBugger < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:26 PM   #166
MVP

Who needs a defense when you have Mahomes?
SuperBowl4 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperBowl4 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperBowl4 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperBowl4 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperBowl4 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperBowl4 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperBowl4 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperBowl4 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperBowl4 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperBowl4 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperBowl4 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:33 PM   #167
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by UChieffyBugger View Post
Could you please refrain from bringing up rumors about people that have not been confirmed? If you don't like Peters then that's your business, but there has not been a single source that has provided any proof that that stuff actually happened.
There's proof he doesn't tackle and would never have stayed in KC and most likely would have held out this year. Goodbye and good riddance.
IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-16-2018, 11:58 PM   #168
left blank intentionally

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88 View Post
His team quit on him? Are you suggesting that Bob Sutton was the mastermind behind Rex Ryan’s success with the Jets?

That is to laugh.
Well, I think having players like Revis and Sheldon Richardson in their prime had more to do with the success of that defense than either one of those old blowhards, if you want to know the truth...

It's like that vaunted Tampa 2 - the Herm Edwards/Lovie Smith/Tony Dungy thing. A bunch of teams tried to run it - the Rams, Jets, Chiefs, Bears, etc. To varying degrees of success. The reason why it worked so well for Tampa Bay was because they had Derrick Brooks, Ronde Barber, Warren Sapp, Simeon Rice, John Lynch, et al - players who would have been great no matter what system they played but they fit that Tampa 2 to a freaking T.

The reason why Gunther is so revered? He had DT and great talent from 95-97. He was not as great in 2004-2006 with a bunch of not-so-great talent.

It wasn't that Gunther suddenly forgot how to run a defense; he just didn't have the horses he needed to pull it off.
rabblerouser is obviously part of the inner Circle.rabblerouser is obviously part of the inner Circle.rabblerouser is obviously part of the inner Circle.rabblerouser is obviously part of the inner Circle.rabblerouser is obviously part of the inner Circle.rabblerouser is obviously part of the inner Circle.rabblerouser is obviously part of the inner Circle.rabblerouser is obviously part of the inner Circle.rabblerouser is obviously part of the inner Circle.rabblerouser is obviously part of the inner Circle.rabblerouser is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:10 AM   #169
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBowl4 View Post
Who needs a defense when you have Mahomes?
You do need one. Tech lost a bunch of games where Mahomes put 40-60 points on the board. Zero defense kills a team. Hopefully the Chiefs can get better as this season moves along.

Maybe the last two games are a bit misleading. Big Ben and P-Rivers are two of the best QB's in the league and they were playing at home. That's always gonna be tough for any defense to shut them down.
DRM08 wants to die in a aids tree fire.DRM08 wants to die in a aids tree fire.DRM08 wants to die in a aids tree fire.DRM08 wants to die in a aids tree fire.DRM08 wants to die in a aids tree fire.DRM08 wants to die in a aids tree fire.DRM08 wants to die in a aids tree fire.DRM08 wants to die in a aids tree fire.DRM08 wants to die in a aids tree fire.DRM08 wants to die in a aids tree fire.DRM08 wants to die in a aids tree fire.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 12:52 AM   #170

Play calling.

Houston should nearly never drop into coverage, Ford can if one of them must. DBs, you’re the weak link, we all know it. But try to take pressure off of them by blitzing more.

Yeah, they’ll get burnt now and again, probably more often than not. But clock management should fall to the D, that’s an offense concept. For once, a no punt game could be welcomed here. Instead of a gassed out D, playing prevent and giving up yards and plays, lets just square up and exchange blow for blow like an exciting heavy weight boxing match.

Play very aggressive defense, lots of blitz’ and if they score, so what. But at the end of the day, offense will have the pressure, and be on the field longer. That’s how this team will win, as is right now
crazycoffey is obviously part of the inner Circle.crazycoffey is obviously part of the inner Circle.crazycoffey is obviously part of the inner Circle.crazycoffey is obviously part of the inner Circle.crazycoffey is obviously part of the inner Circle.crazycoffey is obviously part of the inner Circle.crazycoffey is obviously part of the inner Circle.crazycoffey is obviously part of the inner Circle.crazycoffey is obviously part of the inner Circle.crazycoffey is obviously part of the inner Circle.crazycoffey is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-17-2018, 01:29 AM   #171
Banned

I'd like them to start looking like they give af. More aggression.
eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:11 AM   #172
testing ... 1, 2, 3

1. Stop moving Houston around. Leave him on the left and keep Ford on the right.

2. Coach up that Watt kid and get him in the game.

3. Try to play at home more often.

FAX
FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:22 AM   #173
Veteran

What I dont get is that 2 weeks running the defense has started very well only to capitulate.

I still think they have probably played 2 of the best Offenses they will play this year on the road. I will be worried if Flacco, Keesum and Dalton are doing this at Arrowhead
Danguardace 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanguardace 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanguardace 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanguardace 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanguardace 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanguardace 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanguardace 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanguardace 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanguardace 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanguardace 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanguardace 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
Old 09-17-2018, 03:54 AM   #174
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danguardace View Post
What I dont get is that 2 weeks running the defense has started very well only to capitulate.

I still think they have probably played 2 of the best Offenses they will play this year on the road. I will be worried if Flacco, Keesum and Dalton are doing this at Arrowhead
Both opponents only started having success after the Chiefs jumped out to a big lead and began allowing cushions. I hate that Sutton does this, but I do think it's an important factor. They've shown ability to get stops when not nursing a lead.

Few offenses will be allowed to hold every play like Pittsburgh. That will also make a difference. Berry will make a difference.

I think the D will look fine vs average or bad offenses. I don't see it being so bad that teams like the Cardinals will have their way.

A good offense will pile up yards and score some points vs a prevent D, period.
RaidersOftheCellar is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.RaidersOftheCellar is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.RaidersOftheCellar is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.RaidersOftheCellar is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.RaidersOftheCellar is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.RaidersOftheCellar is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.RaidersOftheCellar is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.RaidersOftheCellar is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.RaidersOftheCellar is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.RaidersOftheCellar is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.RaidersOftheCellar is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
Old 09-17-2018, 04:16 AM   #175
EvOlVeD

um, ask pat to stop scoring so fast?

asking for a friend
Nickhead has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Nickhead has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Nickhead has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Nickhead has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Nickhead has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Nickhead has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Nickhead has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Nickhead has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Nickhead has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Nickhead has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Nickhead has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:04 AM   #176
Field General

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAX View Post
1. Stop moving Houston around. Leave him on the left and keep Ford on the right.

2. Coach up that Watt kid and get him in the game.

3. Try to play at home more often.

FAX
I agree with the first two, but not so sure on #3, as it seems the past few years we seem to play better on the road than at homE?
farmerchief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.farmerchief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.farmerchief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.farmerchief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.farmerchief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.farmerchief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.farmerchief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.farmerchief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.farmerchief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.farmerchief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.farmerchief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:58 AM   #177
In Search of a Life

I'm not 100% down on the D scheme yesterday.

What if the two main goals were (1) limit A. Brown and (2) shut down the rushing game and lets see if Pitt can beat us with JuJu and James?

Sometimes when you face a team with a lot of weapons, you have to try to dictate what you can and choose your poison. I'm not excusing the 3 man rushes, but with limited talent you can only do so much.

IMHO, the two biggest issues from a player standpoint are Justin Houston's lack of pass rush and Sorenson being out. It's really odd to type out the last one. I also think Kpass should be getting Speaks' snaps at this point.
Chiefnj2 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Chiefnj2 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Chiefnj2 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Chiefnj2 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Chiefnj2 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Chiefnj2 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Chiefnj2 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Chiefnj2 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Chiefnj2 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Chiefnj2 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Chiefnj2 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:04 AM   #178
Mahomes Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabblerouser View Post
The reason why Gunther is so revered? He had DT and great talent from 95-97. He was not as great in 2004-2006 with a bunch of not-so-great talent.

It wasn't that Gunther suddenly forgot how to run a defense; he just didn't have the horses he needed to pull it off.
I think the NFL (and most sports in general) are games of studying your opponent and making adjustments.

You CANNOT run the same thing every week, let alone every year.
Defenses will adjust to offenses and vice-versa.

I still think Bob Suttons main issue is that he is stuck in his ways, and he will not adjust his scheme to stay unpredictable.

Unpredictable is always key... I think Bob Suttons defense has become predictable, just like the Andy Reid/Alex Smith offense was.
Mahomes is blowing up because the opposition doesn't know what they are in for... eventually defenses will adjust and Mahomes/Reid will have to re-adjust.
Molitoth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Molitoth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Molitoth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Molitoth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Molitoth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Molitoth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Molitoth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Molitoth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Molitoth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Molitoth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Molitoth is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:21 AM   #179
'Tis my eye!

Dude, blitzing puts MORE pressure on the DBs.

You guys are all assuming the offense is going to play like this every game for a 16 game season. That ain't gonna happen. Mahomes is good but he's also essentially a rookie.

No punts? Way to live up to your name there, Coffey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycoffey View Post
Play calling.

Houston should nearly never drop into coverage, Ford can if one of them must. DBs, you’re the weak link, we all know it. But try to take pressure off of them by blitzing more.

Yeah, they’ll get burnt now and again, probably more often than not. But clock management should fall to the D, that’s an offense concept. For once, a no punt game could be welcomed here. Instead of a gassed out D, playing prevent and giving up yards and plays, lets just square up and exchange blow for blow like an exciting heavy weight boxing match.

Play very aggressive defense, lots of blitz’ and if they score, so what. But at the end of the day, offense will have the pressure, and be on the field longer. That’s how this team will win, as is right now
htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:25 AM   #180
'Tis my eye!

Coaching adjustments in the NFL come into play when teams are evenly matched. Coaching is the icing on the cake. The Chiefs defense, the last 2 weeks, have been completely overmatched. There is no adjustment that Bob Sutton could make that will make Eric Murray a good player and until they find somebody else to man that spot, there's not anything he can do. He's applying a tourniquet so they don't just bleed out altogether.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molitoth View Post
I think the NFL (and most sports in general) are games of studying your opponent and making adjustments.

You CANNOT run the same thing every week, let alone every year.
Defenses will adjust to offenses and vice-versa.

I still think Bob Suttons main issue is that he is stuck in his ways, and he will not adjust his scheme to stay unpredictable.

Unpredictable is always key... I think Bob Suttons defense has become predictable, just like the Andy Reid/Alex Smith offense was.
Mahomes is blowing up because the opposition doesn't know what they are in for... eventually defenses will adjust and Mahomes/Reid will have to re-adjust.
htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.