Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 02-26-2020, 10:28 PM  
MVP

***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***

A couple of reminders...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwana View Post
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartgod View Post
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

Last edited by Bearcat; 03-25-2020 at 08:56 AM.. Reason: adding spoiler tag
JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 04-03-2020, 05:24 PM   #16321
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins View Post
I think they're going about this the right way given limited resources. If they can flatten the curve, they can likely perform a large antibody test on a large, random sample that will have both the specificity and sensitivity we need. However, given that hospital occupancy is demonstrating/ near exponential growth, it is highly unlikely there was large community spread prior to late February.
So in your opinion if NYC would have taken my approach from the start as opposed to the approach they took, they would not have a greater sense of the spread?
kgrund is not part of the Right 53.kgrund is not part of the Right 53.kgrund is not part of the Right 53.kgrund is not part of the Right 53.kgrund is not part of the Right 53.kgrund is not part of the Right 53.kgrund is not part of the Right 53.kgrund is not part of the Right 53.kgrund is not part of the Right 53.kgrund is not part of the Right 53.kgrund is not part of the Right 53.
Old 04-03-2020, 05:27 PM   #16322
Now you've pissed me off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgrund View Post
So in your opinion if NYC would have taken my approach from the start as opposed to the approach they took, they would not have a greater sense of the spread?
I don't think they could have based on the paucity of tests and their poor sensitivity.
'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-03-2020, 05:27 PM   #16323
Kind of a mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by petegz28 View Post
JFC, 1,314 deaths today. 800 of them out of NY and NJ.
I'm consistently puzzled by your continued arguments that things aren't that bad and then surprise that the daily numbers keep climbing.
DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 6 Thumbs Down 1     Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 05:28 PM   #16324
Mahomes: We Are All Witnesses

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLO View Post
Was just reading through the article again where it states up to 50% of people may be asymptomatic.

In a way that's good, but in a way it's really bad. I just don't know..
That's why I think a more strategically targeted social distancing approach would work.

If at least 50% of people with COVID-19 are asymptomatic... part of the 80% of people with the virus with no or minimal symptoms... why not target the social distancing to the people we know who are most at risk of complications?

Elderly and people with underlying health conditions.
FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 0 Thumbs Down 1     Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 05:29 PM   #16325
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIAdragon View Post
Just got the call from my sister that she’s tested positive.
Best wishes to her. What's her location?
mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-03-2020, 05:32 PM   #16326
Best Body On ChiefsPlanet

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88 View Post
That's why I think a more strategically targeted social distancing approach would work.

If at least 50% of people with COVID-19 are asymptomatic... part of the 80% of people with the virus with no or minimal symptoms... why not target the social distancing to the people we know who are most at risk of complications?

Where you getting this 50% number?
PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 04-03-2020, 05:33 PM   #16327

Quote:

Because hospitalization rates would not be sustainable with that degree of spread. Everyone in a hospital now was likely infected in Mid-March. With a virus that spreads exponentially, you aren't going to be able to adequately tamp down cases and the asymptomatic and those free to roam will still come into contact with the at-risk population at home, in care facilities, etc
'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-03-2020, 05:36 PM   #16328
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Because hospitalization rates would not be sustainable with that degree of spread. Everyone in a hospital now was likely infected in Mid-March. With a virus that spreads exponentially, you aren't going to be able to adequately tamp down cases and the asymptomatic and those free to roam will still come into contact with the at-risk population at home, in care facilities, etc
My issue is, i just don't see the way out of this. You can't lock things down for that long, economically and such. People just can't do it. So what happens when you start opening back up? It's gonna spike again.
O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 05:37 PM   #16329

Quote:

That other 50% is a large, large amount of people.
tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-03-2020, 05:39 PM   #16330
Mahomes: We Are All Witnesses

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy View Post
Where you getting this 50% number?
It's from a study in Iceland where they've tested 17,900+ people.

Quote:
Iceland lab's testing suggests 50% of coronavirus cases have no symptoms
Link to article: https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/01/europ...ntl/index.html
FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-03-2020, 05:40 PM   #16331
In Search of a Life

Eh, the Iceland testing was that they were asymptomatic at the time. I think a portion of them ended up developing symptoms.
O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-03-2020, 05:41 PM   #16332

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.city View Post
My issue is, i just don't see the way out of this. You can't lock things down for that long, economically and such. People just can't do it. So what happens when you start opening back up? It's gonna spike again.
You stamp out the fire. Then, once the main blaze hasn't overwhelmed you, you can ease back.

What you don't do is move back into the house while the fire is still spreading.

You post a lot of stuff from Gottlieb. This is the plan he worked on with AEI.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 05:45 PM   #16333
In Search of a Life

Quote:
You stamp out the fire. Then, once the main blaze hasn't overwhelmed you, you can ease back.

What you don't do is move back into the house while the fire is still spreading.

You post a lot of stuff from Gottlieb. This is the plan he worked on with AEI.
Yeah, his model is the best i've found. He's a really intelligent cat. It will work. But my question is whether we can have those systems in place to track it that quickly.

My biggest path forward thought is the therapeutics. I think prophylactic antibodies is the way it's gonna go. There's some interesting stuff with some of the small molecule stuff, but damn it's just hard to mass produce.
Old 04-03-2020, 05:46 PM   #16334
Has a particular set of skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIAdragon View Post
Just got the call from my sister that she’s tested positive.
Sorry to hear.
BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-03-2020, 05:47 PM   #16335
Mahomes > God

Quote:
Originally Posted by petegz28 View Post
okay so if nothing changed then why are 10 million people suddenly out of work, you can't go to see a movie or eat in a restaurant, you can't go to the gym, my kid can't go to school and there isn't a ****ing bottle of hand sanatizer in any grocery store in the country?
Because even with those measures in place, people are still out and about everywhere and doing what ever....and the numbers keep climbing and climbing....
Jerm is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Jerm is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Jerm is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Jerm is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Jerm is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Jerm is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Jerm is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Jerm is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Jerm is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Jerm is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Jerm is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.