Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 05-26-2024, 02:33 AM  
Veteran

How do you guys feel about eventually dying?

I have these random I guess you can call “episodes” where i have this almost out of body experience where i start saying to myself, you’re just you, you’re literally just you, and start thinking about how minuscule i am and then it eventually leads to how i am so fearful of dying one day. I understand I wasn’t around for the Korean War, or world war 2, or the Roman Empire, and that makes sense, since I simply wasnt existing, but now that I exist, the thought of me not existing, and quite frankly never being able to exist again terrifies me. I went to a religious school for a few years and went to church etc, but science tells me that my body make up is unique, and just being born is winning the lottery in its own right. As nice as it is to think my body protrudes this soul is going to rise up and say what up Jesus am I in? or my very unique dna that can profile me as a murderer is going to somehow leak out of my dead composing body, and makes its way into some other woman’s vagina to again try to fight off another 1 million other contestants (assuming dad didn’t jerk off that day) just really gets to me that I have this one chance and this limited, aka very limited time to live a good life. I have a good life mind you. Great wife, supportive family, 2 kids now, great house, but this whole death thing just makes me say sometimes like, wtf man, I want to experience this love and life forever, why does it gotta be so short. Just would like to hear your guys’ thoughts on the manner. Thanks.
TripleThreat 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliTripleThreat 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliTripleThreat 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliTripleThreat 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliTripleThreat 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliTripleThreat 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliTripleThreat 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliTripleThreat 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliTripleThreat 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliTripleThreat 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliTripleThreat 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
Old 05-28-2024, 11:02 AM   #136
WhatUneed2Hear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post
And then there is the flipside of that:

Rev. 9:6 and Rev. 6:16
Not really the flipside, the entire point is pain isn't something we seek I mean if you're normal and all
Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 11:49 AM   #137
MVP

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Myar5ZWtwE4
MarkDavis'Haircut is obviously part of the inner Circle.MarkDavis'Haircut is obviously part of the inner Circle.MarkDavis'Haircut is obviously part of the inner Circle.MarkDavis'Haircut is obviously part of the inner Circle.MarkDavis'Haircut is obviously part of the inner Circle.MarkDavis'Haircut is obviously part of the inner Circle.MarkDavis'Haircut is obviously part of the inner Circle.MarkDavis'Haircut is obviously part of the inner Circle.MarkDavis'Haircut is obviously part of the inner Circle.MarkDavis'Haircut is obviously part of the inner Circle.MarkDavis'Haircut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 11:55 AM   #138
Stay down bitch!

I lived through Matt Cassell as a starter, dying is a piece of cake.
PunkinDrublic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.PunkinDrublic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.PunkinDrublic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.PunkinDrublic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.PunkinDrublic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.PunkinDrublic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.PunkinDrublic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.PunkinDrublic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.PunkinDrublic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.PunkinDrublic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.PunkinDrublic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Old 05-28-2024, 12:03 PM   #139
Veteran

In response to OP: Of course most people want to live as long as they can, to a point. However, many old people (80s, 90s, 100s) reach the point where they are "tired of living", for lack of a better term. It seems that if you live long enough, you will eventually be ready to die.
ThrobProng < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.ThrobProng < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.ThrobProng < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.ThrobProng < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.ThrobProng < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.ThrobProng < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.ThrobProng < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.ThrobProng < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.ThrobProng < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.ThrobProng < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.ThrobProng < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.
Old 05-28-2024, 12:15 PM   #140
GREAT SCOTT!

I just hope we all die more gracefully than Ubeja.
InvinciBill must have mowed badgirl's lawn.InvinciBill must have mowed badgirl's lawn.InvinciBill must have mowed badgirl's lawn.InvinciBill must have mowed badgirl's lawn.InvinciBill must have mowed badgirl's lawn.InvinciBill must have mowed badgirl's lawn.InvinciBill must have mowed badgirl's lawn.InvinciBill must have mowed badgirl's lawn.InvinciBill must have mowed badgirl's lawn.InvinciBill must have mowed badgirl's lawn.InvinciBill must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
Thumbs Up 6 Thumbs Down 6     Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 12:25 PM   #141
Starter

Well, I’ve dealt with a couple deaths recently.

Not a fan at present.
PatMahomesIsGod is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.PatMahomesIsGod is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.
Old 05-28-2024, 12:39 PM   #142
In my youth i pray to keep

As I hit the halfway point in my life I think about it more and more. Is it eternal darkness or heaven and hell? The idea of just blinking out of existence at any given moment is kind of terrifying to me.
George Liquor is obviously part of the inner Circle.George Liquor is obviously part of the inner Circle.George Liquor is obviously part of the inner Circle.George Liquor is obviously part of the inner Circle.George Liquor is obviously part of the inner Circle.George Liquor is obviously part of the inner Circle.George Liquor is obviously part of the inner Circle.George Liquor is obviously part of the inner Circle.George Liquor is obviously part of the inner Circle.George Liquor is obviously part of the inner Circle.George Liquor is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-28-2024, 12:41 PM   #143
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdj23 View Post
As I hit the halfway point in my life I think about it more and more. Is it eternal darkness or heaven and hell? The idea of just blinking out of existence at any given moment is kind of terrifying to me.
I'd choose blinking out of existence over an eternity of anything. Even Heaven would become intolerable eventually.
ThrobProng < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.ThrobProng < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.ThrobProng < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.ThrobProng < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.ThrobProng < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.ThrobProng < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.ThrobProng < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.ThrobProng < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.ThrobProng < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.ThrobProng < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.ThrobProng < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.
Thumbs Up 0 Thumbs Down 2     Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 12:42 PM   #144
Cynical Misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephistopheles Janx View Post
Just gonna drop the full quote off here...

"Unless you assume a God, the question of life’s purpose is meaningless, and like Laplace, ‘I have no need of that hypothesis.'”

Now for some context...

Who was Laplace? He was a physicist who, when asked by Napoleon Bonaparte...

--
Now, this post isn't to made to refute your belief system, dissuade you from it, or even get into a theological discussion in the Lounge. I have thoughts about other parts of your post but this isn't the forum for them thus they were not quoted. The only reason this post is being made is to highlight the importance of a full quote and context.

Russell wasn't advocating the idea of intelligent creation by God in that statement nor was he acknowledging a deity at all. It wasn't an admission that life is meaningless without God. He was replying to a letter in a sharp and sarcastic manner in the same way that Laplace did to Napoleon. The fact he quoted Laplace makes that evident.
Thanks for an intelligent and respectful response. I always understood Russell's response of 'I have no need of that hypothesis' to refer to the argument that God exists. Certainly Russell did not believe that he did. He was an avowed atheist and his arguments about the meaning of life without belief of God are consistent with some of his other writings. It's been a few decades since I read it, but his book 'Why I Am Not A Christian' was the publication of a series of lectures he made to either Cambridge or Oxford in the early 1920s. One of my takeaways from that book was his argument, contra mine, that there did not need to be a meaning to life and if we are merely high functioning animals, if we are merely the product of time plus matter plus chance, there is no real meaning to life. Maybe I'm conflating the statement that you've made with arguments he made in those lectures and my memories over the decades have just melded them together.

Sartre had a similar opinion, arguing that there is no inherent meaning to life but that we can give meaning when we make moral choices. For Sartre, there was no objective morality or moral standards but rather that we make our own independent choices. Of course, Sartre was not consistent, denouncing French colonialism and actions of the French government later in his life when those were moral choices, albeit choices he apparently disagree with.

Anyway, as I said, I appreciate the intelligent and respectful response. I expect we will not see eye to eye but being able to elucidate differing opinions well and politely is rapidly becoming a lost art. Thank you.
frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-28-2024, 12:50 PM   #145
Bono & Grbac wasn't enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkinDrublic View Post
I lived through Matt Cassell as a starter, dying is a piece of cake.
Got ya one better - Tyler thigpin
ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-28-2024, 12:50 PM   #146
Bono & Grbac wasn't enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrobProng View Post
I'd choose blinking out of existence over an eternity of anything. Even Heaven would become intolerable eventually.
Especially with you in it
ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 3 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 01:18 PM   #147
Starter

For those that despair at the prospect of death, would you feel better if you believed in an afterlife? Dr. Stephen Meyer has countless videos making a case about the infinitessimal odds of "something coming from nothing", i.e., what are the chances DNA forming on its own (DNA stores 1.5 gb of data per 1 genome...100 billion cells in a body) from a primordial soup, and resulting in intelligent life. Take a little time and rabbit-hole this topic, it's worth it and may change your outlook on man's existence. Belief in an afterlife and Creator can be a matter of faith, or it can be a hard-won, science-based revelation, but no matter the reason, belief in the divine and an afteerlife will likely change and improve every minute of the rest of your life.

Woogieman is not part of the Right 53.Woogieman is not part of the Right 53.Woogieman is not part of the Right 53.Woogieman is not part of the Right 53.Woogieman is not part of the Right 53.Woogieman is not part of the Right 53.Woogieman is not part of the Right 53.Woogieman is not part of the Right 53.Woogieman is not part of the Right 53.Woogieman is not part of the Right 53.Woogieman is not part of the Right 53.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 1     Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 01:25 PM   #148
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptlyon View Post
Especially with you in it
Just imagine if I accepted Jesus Christ as my lord and savior, then yapped in your ear for 6 trillion years.
Old 05-28-2024, 01:47 PM   #149
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

short answer to the OP Question?

Relieved.

Man, I would have absolutely zero interest in keeping the wheels on this bus indefinitely. Sooner or later I'm gonna be just fine pulling into the garage.

Ain't there yet. Not particularly close, in fact. But man, immortality sounds just awful.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-28-2024, 02:07 PM   #150
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFace View Post
As for the question, I take solace in the fact that we're all just animated stardust. We were a bunch of scattered atoms before, so returning to that is just entropy in action. And once I'm gone, I won't be around to care one way or another, so there's not really much to worry about.

I worry far more about living too long in a shitty state. That shit can be horrific, especially for the people who have to deal with it.
Where did the atoms come from?
jdubya is too fat/Omaha.jdubya is too fat/Omaha.jdubya is too fat/Omaha.jdubya is too fat/Omaha.jdubya is too fat/Omaha.jdubya is too fat/Omaha.jdubya is too fat/Omaha.jdubya is too fat/Omaha.jdubya is too fat/Omaha.jdubya is too fat/Omaha.jdubya is too fat/Omaha.