Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

View Poll Results: How far can you throw a football?
15 yards I'm a girl 6 5.61%
20 yards 2 1.87%
25 yards 1 0.93%
30 yards 19 17.76%
35 yards 12 11.21%
40 yards 25 23.36%
45 yards 5 4.67%
50 yards 14 13.08%
55+ 23 21.50%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-28-2009, 03:35 PM  
I'll be back.

How far can you throw a football?

The other thread got me thinking about this. A few months ago I went out to the local HS football field to see how far I could throw a football. I have well-muscled shoulders but I couldn't get it over 30 yards.

Are NFL quarterbacks just born with the ability to throw a ball 50-60 yards (this is about as far as I remember anyone on the NFL quarterback challenge throwing a football), or do I just have shitty mechanics or something?

How far can you throw a football?
Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:41 PM   #76
Sarcasm

Check the size of your pointer finger. If your pointer finger is the same length as your middle finger you should be able to throw a mean, tight spiral. The best QBs pointer fingers are very long. Its the last finger to touch the football as it leaves your hand.
KCrockaholic threw an interception on a screen pass.KCrockaholic threw an interception on a screen pass.KCrockaholic threw an interception on a screen pass.KCrockaholic threw an interception on a screen pass.KCrockaholic threw an interception on a screen pass.KCrockaholic threw an interception on a screen pass.KCrockaholic threw an interception on a screen pass.KCrockaholic threw an interception on a screen pass.KCrockaholic threw an interception on a screen pass.KCrockaholic threw an interception on a screen pass.KCrockaholic threw an interception on a screen pass.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:42 PM   #77
I'll be back.

Who the **** plays catch with their neighbor? Are you gay? Sounds like a pre-emptive strike on his ass.
Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:43 PM   #78
GBM 8-12-15

Now, 30 yards. 15 yrs ago, 50 yards. That was with a regulation NFL ball.
BigMeatballDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigMeatballDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigMeatballDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigMeatballDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigMeatballDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigMeatballDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigMeatballDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigMeatballDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigMeatballDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigMeatballDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigMeatballDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:48 PM   #79
Sarcasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoChiefs View Post
Who the **** plays catch with their neighbor? Are you gay? Sounds like a pre-emptive strike on his ass.
Its the love of the game man. It doesnt matter who you play with as long as you just do it. Ill stick up for him on that.
KCrockaholic threw an interception on a screen pass.KCrockaholic threw an interception on a screen pass.KCrockaholic threw an interception on a screen pass.KCrockaholic threw an interception on a screen pass.KCrockaholic threw an interception on a screen pass.KCrockaholic threw an interception on a screen pass.KCrockaholic threw an interception on a screen pass.KCrockaholic threw an interception on a screen pass.KCrockaholic threw an interception on a screen pass.KCrockaholic threw an interception on a screen pass.KCrockaholic threw an interception on a screen pass.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:51 PM
Buzz
This message has been deleted by Buzz. Reason: x
Old 08-28-2009, 07:58 PM
Buzz
Old 08-28-2009, 08:02 PM   #80
Supporter

I'd love to see some actual trials to compare to these posts. I'll bet we would see some big differences.
Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:03 PM   #81
Starter

Tyler Thigpen can throw the football 67 yards while standing flat footed! Thats my thigga!

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?...nfl&id=2861446
CCU2000 is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.CCU2000 is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:06 PM   #82
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeezNutz View Post
I know that few kids throw 90. Period.

The best baseball players typically come from warm-weather states, and I know plenty about youth sports to say that most claims of how hard a kid throws are completely incorrect.
True for the most part. Blame that on not being able to play year round. Back in the late 80's played in a Legion wooden bat tourney in NE, that including myself, had 6 teams out of 8 with a guy that hit 90 on the gun. I do think its more common now to have guys throwing in the 90's than it was 10 or 15 yrs ago.

As for a football, probably about 50 yards. Being able to throw a good slider makes for having a tight spiral. Most people should be able to throw 30 yds. Its the distance between bases in baseball... for god's sake.
ArrowheadMagic has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.ArrowheadMagic has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.ArrowheadMagic has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.ArrowheadMagic has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.ArrowheadMagic has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.ArrowheadMagic has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.ArrowheadMagic has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.ArrowheadMagic has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.ArrowheadMagic has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.ArrowheadMagic has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.ArrowheadMagic has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:07 PM
Buzz
Old 08-28-2009, 08:08 PM   #83
Veteran

A good strong throwing shoulder/arm is something your born with or not...you can only "teach/train" so much, the rest is god-given. You can't teach someone to throw it 50 yards if it's just not in them. That being said, I used to throw a baseball in the upper 70's (nothing special) and could only throw a football 35-40 yards at best.
BigVE is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutBigVE is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutBigVE is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutBigVE is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutBigVE is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutBigVE is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutBigVE is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutBigVE is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutBigVE is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutBigVE is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutBigVE is the dumbass Milkman is always talking about
Old 08-28-2009, 08:09 PM   #84
I'll be back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
I'm game, something tell's me gochiefs throws like a girl. I would say he probably throws off the wrong foot without stepping forward, turning his body and not getting a good leg whip.
I already admitted I can only heave it 30 yards. But I do understand how to throw with my legs. It's not rocket science.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:12 PM
Buzz
Old 08-28-2009, 08:23 PM   #85
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
I would say it doesnt come from the shoulder but the tension in the arm and the body moving forward.

Regardless...you either have the "hose" or you don't. If a guy has decent mechanics and can only throw a football 30 yards you can probably only teach him to throw it another 5 yards or so IMO, you can't teach him to throw it 50-60yards. You hear of some big league baseball players improving their mechanics and getting another 5-10 mph on their fastball but it was already in the upper 80's or so before that.
BigVE is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutBigVE is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutBigVE is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutBigVE is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutBigVE is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutBigVE is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutBigVE is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutBigVE is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutBigVE is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutBigVE is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutBigVE is the dumbass Milkman is always talking about
Old 08-28-2009, 08:26 PM   #86
Supporter

This thread reminds me of one I had several years ago about golf. At the time, not one pro golfer averaged 300 yds off the tee. But this site had 25-30 who could do it. Some of them with range balls.
Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:27 PM   #87
Starter

I found my strength in my mid 20's when I played right field in slow pitch softball. I'm left handed and I could throw a runner out going from first to third base better than anybody in our county. I could throw a laser to third base because of the angle and being left handed, but I was just normal throwing to home plate. Now I concentrate on getting speed and turn on my bowling ball and I can still get a lot of zip on it when I want to. When it comes to throwing a football I could probably reach 50 yards with a good warmup. Your shoulder is definitely where the distance comes from.
KINGPIN CHIEFS FAN must have mowed badgirl's lawn.KINGPIN CHIEFS FAN must have mowed badgirl's lawn.KINGPIN CHIEFS FAN must have mowed badgirl's lawn.KINGPIN CHIEFS FAN must have mowed badgirl's lawn.KINGPIN CHIEFS FAN must have mowed badgirl's lawn.KINGPIN CHIEFS FAN must have mowed badgirl's lawn.KINGPIN CHIEFS FAN must have mowed badgirl's lawn.KINGPIN CHIEFS FAN must have mowed badgirl's lawn.KINGPIN CHIEFS FAN must have mowed badgirl's lawn.KINGPIN CHIEFS FAN must have mowed badgirl's lawn.KINGPIN CHIEFS FAN must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:28 PM   #88
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoChiefs View Post
I already admitted I can only heave it 30 yards. But I do understand how to throw with my legs. It's not rocket science.

Could be your grip. Instead of putting your fingertips on the laces, try putting your thumb on it. Helps for guys with smaller hands.
ArrowheadMagic has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.ArrowheadMagic has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.ArrowheadMagic has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.ArrowheadMagic has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.ArrowheadMagic has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.ArrowheadMagic has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.ArrowheadMagic has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.ArrowheadMagic has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.ArrowheadMagic has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.ArrowheadMagic has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.ArrowheadMagic has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:28 PM
Buzz
Old 08-28-2009, 08:28 PM   #89
Most Valuable Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Krab View Post
Technique > strength

In fact the term "Arm Strength" is almost a complete misnomer, it has almost nothing to do with strength of your arm at all.
Very true... On August 14th... I was throwing them about 50Yards...

My technique is pretty good, plus it depends on the football, and feeling it out, so that it will spin properly.

Not all footballs are created equally.
teedubya is obviously part of the inner Circle.teedubya is obviously part of the inner Circle.teedubya is obviously part of the inner Circle.teedubya is obviously part of the inner Circle.teedubya is obviously part of the inner Circle.teedubya is obviously part of the inner Circle.teedubya is obviously part of the inner Circle.teedubya is obviously part of the inner Circle.teedubya is obviously part of the inner Circle.teedubya is obviously part of the inner Circle.teedubya is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:30 PM   #90
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Towne View Post
This thread reminds me of one I had several years ago about golf. At the time, not one pro golfer averaged 300 yds off the tee. But this site had 25-30 who could do it. Some of them with range balls.
LOL, no kidding. As soon as I saw the results of the poll I laughed. Most guys who think they are driving the ball 300 yds. have never really measured it out accurately. You have noticed that we also have some of the baddest men on the planet on this board when you read some of the "fight" threads. My arm was above average for a mid-level softballer at best, when it came to throwing footballs I left it to someone else.