Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 01-02-2022, 08:51 AM  
Supporter

***** All things Fitness *****

2022 getting and staying fit thread!
penguinz threw an interception on a screen pass.penguinz threw an interception on a screen pass.penguinz threw an interception on a screen pass.penguinz threw an interception on a screen pass.penguinz threw an interception on a screen pass.penguinz threw an interception on a screen pass.penguinz threw an interception on a screen pass.penguinz threw an interception on a screen pass.penguinz threw an interception on a screen pass.penguinz threw an interception on a screen pass.penguinz threw an interception on a screen pass.
Old Yesterday, 02:03 PM   #736
Would an idiot do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcellus View Post
I'm 100% for cardio as well. I both lift and run.

But from most of what I have been reading up on the last several years and some podcast on fitness I like to listen to like Andrew Huberman (who has a ton of great guests on his show), maintaining muscle mass is the most important thing you can do to extend your life.

Combine it with cardio and you will get even more benefit. I think VO2 max might even have been the next key ingredient to longevity.
He has a ton of good info, but I think one recently was 3 hours long.

I set them to 1.25 or 1.5 speed and skip through them a bit, but the chapters are usually detailed enough to find the main topics of interest.
Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Yesterday, 05:19 PM   #737
You gotta kill a few people

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxSocks View Post
Sports are the best cardio. Change my mind.
No doubt about it. Something you enjoy doing is far superior to cardio for cardio’s sake.

After 10 minutes of jogging, elliptical, etc. I'm bored out of my mind but I could play basketball or football for hours.
ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Yesterday, 05:37 PM   #738
Inmem 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat View Post
Wrist straps throwing shade...
Form isn't the issue I work at a desk
Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Yesterday, 08:12 PM   #739
Diablo Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinz View Post
The reason for lifting is not to extend lifespan. It's to maintain health and mobility.

They are not the same.
Well this may not be true. The reason why is some studies show mobility is the key to life span.

As you age past 65 years old when you become immobile your life span drops exponentially.

I believe the number I read was after the age of 60 it takes 6 weeks to recover from 1 week of immobility. And the number keeps climbing the older you get. So you could spend years staying in shape, fall break a hip and lose mobility for 8 weeks say, and it would take 48 weeks to get back to where you were. Who is going to do that?

I think its something like 70% of people who fall and break a hip after the age of 65 die within the next year, and its not from the fall or the hip. They cant move and exercise for an extended period of time and both their mind and body tank. This is according to Peter Attia in his book Outlive.

One of the biggest thing he would focus on with older patients to live a long and mobile (productive) life into their late years was mobility, balance, and muscle mass so you could handle a fall or event.

Maybe the difference we are discussing is lifespan vs quality lifespan as well though he claims once you become immobile you don't live long typically.
Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:15 PM   #740
Diablo Negro

Quote:
He has a ton of good info, but I think one recently was 3 hours long.

I set them to 1.25 or 1.5 speed and skip through them a bit, but the chapters are usually detailed enough to find the main topics of interest.
He tends to get really detailed into the technical stuff that can be hard to follow at times as well. Peter Attia is even worse about that but if you listen a few times to stuff that's confusing it can start to click.
Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Yesterday, 08:19 PM   #741
Back-to-Back-to-Back.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaVirus View Post
No doubt about it. Something you enjoy doing is far superior to cardio for cardio’s sake.

After 10 minutes of jogging, elliptical, etc. I'm bored out of my mind but I could play basketball or football for hours.
Make it a competition. Try to beat PR times etc
BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Yesterday, 08:21 PM   #742
Diablo Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaVirus View Post

I've always said the best workout for you is one that you will enjoy and therefore keep doing. Whatever that is.

And if you exercise long enough what you prefer to do will probably change over time.

Nothing wrong with that.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:24 PM   #743
Would an idiot do that?

Quote:
Well this may not be true. The reason why is some studies show mobility is the key to life span.

As you age past 65 years old when you become immobile your life span drops exponentially.

I believe the number I read was after the age of 60 it takes 6 weeks to recover from 1 week of immobility. And the number keeps climbing the older you get. So you could spend years staying in shape, fall break a hip and lose mobility for 8 weeks say, and it would take 48 weeks to get back to where you were. Who is going to do that?

I think its something like 70% of people who fall and break a hip after the age of 65 die within the next year, and its not from the fall or the hip. They cant move and exercise for an extended period of time and both their mind and body tank. This is according to Peter Attia in his book Outlive.

One of the biggest thing he would focus on with older patients to live a long and mobile (productive) life into their late years was mobility, balance, and muscle mass so you could handle a fall or event.

Maybe the difference we are discussing is lifespan vs quality lifespan as well though he claims once you become immobile you don't live long typically.
Studies also show muscle mass is a pretty significant predictor of mortality across all reasons...
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4035379/

It might not be THE key reason, but you could probably take out the riskiest habits that contribute to a shorter lifespan (and the main reasons women live a whole 5 years longer than men), like alcoholism, chronic smoking, drug use... and if you haven't abused such things for decades of your life (and that probably goes for food/obesity, too) and have bigger shit to deal with, muscle mass and related issues are probably up there on the list of being pretty damn important.
Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Yesterday, 08:29 PM   #744
Diablo Negro

Quote:
Studies also show muscle mass is a pretty significant predictor of mortality across all reasons...
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4035379/

It might not be THE key reason, but you could probably take out the riskiest habits that contribute to a shorter lifespan (and the main reasons women live a whole 5 years longer than men), like alcoholism, chronic smoking, drug use... and if you haven't abused such things for decades of your life (and that probably goes for food/obesity, too) and have bigger shit to deal with, muscle mass and related issues are probably up there on the list of being pretty damn important.
Yea I was going to respond to the earlier post about women outliving men has more to do with men doing things that shorten their lives at a much higher frequency than women.
Old Yesterday, 08:40 PM   #745
Would an idiot do that?

Quote:
Yea I was going to respond to the earlier post about women outliving men has more to do with men doing things that shorten their lives at a much higher frequency than women.
And on top of that, there are more male deaths than female deaths across all age groups, including infant deaths.... so, even though that does include men who have reached 65 on average dying before women who have reached 65, overall the difference isn't all that relevant when talking about how muscle mass helps with longevity.
Old Today, 11:17 AM   #746
Supporter

Quote:
Maybe the difference we are discussing is lifespan vs quality lifespan (I call this healthspan, same idea) as well though he claims once you become immobile you don't live long typically.
This.

Modern medicine can keep you around much longer than your body really wants.

This does not mean you have a healthy body. Only thing that's going to keep your bodies health around longer to get closer to that lifespan is to strength train.
penguinz threw an interception on a screen pass.penguinz threw an interception on a screen pass.penguinz threw an interception on a screen pass.penguinz threw an interception on a screen pass.penguinz threw an interception on a screen pass.penguinz threw an interception on a screen pass.penguinz threw an interception on a screen pass.penguinz threw an interception on a screen pass.penguinz threw an interception on a screen pass.penguinz threw an interception on a screen pass.penguinz threw an interception on a screen pass.