Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 01-01-2024, 11:36 AM  
The Insider

*****Official 2024 Royals Season Repository Thread*****

Year Two of the Matt Quatraro tenure. Time to take a step up this year. Active in free agency and trades this offseason. A new look pitching rotation and bullpen. Will the young players take the leap up offensively? Bobby Witt extension? New stadium? Will Vinny recover from injury? Salvy taking aim at the Royals record book? Will Cole Ragans turn into the best Royals starting pitcher since Greinke 1.0?

Free Agents/Trades Acquisitions
Seth Lugo, SP
Michael Wacha, SP
Kyle Wright, SP
Hunter Renfroe, OF/DH
Will Smith, RP
Chris Stratton, RP
Nick Anderson, RP
Adam Frazier, 2B
Garrett Hampson, INF/OF
Matt Sauer, RP

Last edited by ChiefsCountry; 02-13-2024 at 06:15 PM..
ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 07:25 AM   #2071
In Search of a Life

Good post, Gaby. Like most things, you (all of us) can view this season in two prisms, micro and macro. The micro view of individual games and series will go how those things go. A bad game or series is going to get chastised, and that's fair. From a macro perspective, I don't know how anyone sees this season as anything other than a success and probably a wild success at that. As you said, if this team goes 11-30 the rest of the way (not even I, a believer that the 20 games starting next weekend will "doom" our post season chances, think that we only win 11 games the rest of the way) we hit the high 70's in wins. 16-25, which I think is very doable, and a team that won 56 games last year is over .500 if that happens, Quartaro (however you spell it) is a lock for manager of the year and it will be well deserved (and that's coming from a guy who is not the biggest fan of his). The Royals have already hit two major goals this year:

1. Improve on last year
2. The nebulous but real, stay relevant until football season (I get that's not a goal for everyone but for most of us

We shall see if they can hit the next two:

1. Finish above .500
2. Make the playoffs-anything that happens after that is total gravy

I am gonna say they hit goal 1 and fall just short of goal 2. Hope I'm wrong about the second thought but I just think the upcoming 20 game stretch will be too much. Let's look at the series remaining and try to guess how they play out.

Series 1 @Reds: Man. On paper, we "should" win this series but it's on the road vs a not shitty team who is hot right now, plus no Lugo or Ragans. I'm gonna have to say we go 1-2

Series 2 vs Angels: Would love a sweep here but it's hard to predict those so I'll say 2-1

Series 3 vs Phillies: The Royals have done a great job not getting swept much at all this year (I think only @Texas to this point?). But the Phillies are a great team and the facts don't lie, we have not been very good vs great teams, especially lately. 1-2

Series 4 @Guardians: 4 gamer and we've played them tough so far, I'll say we split 2-2

Series 5 @Astros: They will be out for blood after we kicked their ass in KC earlier. They are playing much better now. I will be optimistic and say we get another split 2-2

Series 6 vs Guardians: Maybe we kinda have their number this year? I'll lean positive and say 2-1

Series 7 vs Twins: Same as above, except the opposite. No one using anything other than blind homerism can honestly pick the Royals to beat the Twins in a series this year. 1-2

Series 8 @Yankees: No need to beat a dead horse on how we do vs really good teams. 1-2

Series 9 @Pirates: Non shitty team (not great but not the White Sox or Tigers) on the road. 1-2

Series 10 vs Tigers: Right in our wheel house. Again, I am not predicting any sweeps for or against, but it wouldn't shock me. 2-1

Series 11 vs Giants: need this one, I think we get it, 2-1

Series 12 @Nationals: Hate to do it but I have to stay consistent. The Nationals aren't good, but then again, neither were the Rockies. 1-2

Series 13 @Braves: Braves are down this year due to injuries but are still good and may need this series themselves 1-2

So, that puts us at a total of....19-21 and 85 wins. That's a great season for the 2024 Royals. And certainly if I'm wrong and they can steal a few more of those games then 88/89 wins is on the board. Of course, the reverse can happen as well and we land on 81-82. I don't see a total collapse nor do I see some "peaking at the right time" run. Should be a fun last few weeks.
Why Not? is obviously part of the inner Circle.Why Not? is obviously part of the inner Circle.Why Not? is obviously part of the inner Circle.Why Not? is obviously part of the inner Circle.Why Not? is obviously part of the inner Circle.Why Not? is obviously part of the inner Circle.Why Not? is obviously part of the inner Circle.Why Not? is obviously part of the inner Circle.Why Not? is obviously part of the inner Circle.Why Not? is obviously part of the inner Circle.Why Not? is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:33 AM   #2072
Keep Camp Home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabyKeepsMeWarm View Post
I know a lot here are pissing vinegar and trying to turn into lemonade. Then there’s the segment that simply piss vinegar, and they get what they get.

I’m sadly, a biased Royals fan, and even when shit is bad, I’ll try to find something to be optimistic about. My optimism paid off in 2015 when we won the whole damn thing after 20-30 years in the wilderness and mostly irrelevant.

Before the season started, I said we’d win 77 games 5+/5- games. 77 wins would be a pretty remarkable turnaround after only winning 56 games. Certainly not playoff bound, but a reasonable step in the right direction with limited minor league resources.

The demand for excellence and perfection is so ridiculous with people nowadays that too many can’t even enjoy the moment of anything. It’s gotta have some drag to it. The cynicism is palpable, and sure, the Royals have earned your cynicism to an extent.

It gets more acute when things are going well, and suddenly things aren’t. And that’s the hook of it. But man, this team is 11 games OVER .500 right now, and in position to be in the playoffs. If the team totally collapses over the next 41 games and wins 11, well shit man, that’s what I predicted they’d do, and I’d be satisfied in a way. But now that we’ve won, nobody would be satisfied with that at all.

Before the Twins series we had 44 games left. I simply put out there that if we win the series we’re “supposed” to win, lose the series we’re “supposed” to lose, with no sweeps on either side and splitting the two four game series we have left, we’d finish with 88 wins.

I still think it’s reasonable. And shit man, if we finish with 88 wins and we don’t make the playoffs, that says more about whoever else in the AL that got hot at the right time.

This has been a great season, for a lot of reasons. We’re a winning ballclub again. That should mean something. And I think Sherman would be willing to write more checks in the offseason to solidify positions we’ve all bitched about all year.

I guarantee you 15 other teams have it worse off than we do right now, and half of those teams have little hope for the next few years. It’s baseball, and things can go haywire for any team, but man, at least we’re in the mix right now and it should go down to the wire.

Can’t wait for the “fans” to show up if we make the playoffs and we get blown out…. Those assholes will be here, and they’ll be loud, ugly, stupid and shortsighted. You can’t fix that. But I’m looking forward to it!

41 games to go. I think we can still do this!

It's like when we first saw what Pat could do, but you knew we have issues on the OL/ DL/ DB/ etc. And then the team invested in the pieces that put us over the hump.

With the key players and returning and really not losing many pieces, it shouldn't be that difficult for the Royals to invest in the offseason in positions that make sense, don't hinder the future and help us be a better team. And no reason to think this regime can't be better than the last in terms of drafting and developing talent through the minor league system.

I also wonder as Bobby becomes a more recognized international star, if that might help us with some international signings in the coming years. Who the hell wouldn't want to come play baseball with the best player in the world?
cmh6476 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.cmh6476 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.cmh6476 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.cmh6476 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.cmh6476 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.cmh6476 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.cmh6476 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.cmh6476 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.cmh6476 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.cmh6476 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.cmh6476 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old Today, 07:41 AM   #2073
Keep Camp Home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why Not? View Post
Good post, Gaby. Like most things, you (all of us) can view this season in two prisms, micro and macro. The micro view of individual games and series will go how those things go. A bad game or series is going to get chastised, and that's fair. From a macro perspective, I don't know how anyone sees this season as anything other than a success and probably a wild success at that. As you said, if this team goes 11-30 the rest of the way (not even I, a believer that the 20 games starting next weekend will "doom" our post season chances, think that we only win 11 games the rest of the way) we hit the high 70's in wins. 16-25, which I think is very doable, and a team that won 56 games last year is over .500 if that happens, Quartaro (however you spell it) is a lock for manager of the year and it will be well deserved (and that's coming from a guy who is not the biggest fan of his). The Royals have already hit two major goals this year:

1. Improve on last year
2. The nebulous but real, stay relevant until football season (I get that's not a goal for everyone but for most of us

We shall see if they can hit the next two:

1. Finish above .500
2. Make the playoffs-anything that happens after that is total gravy

I am gonna say they hit goal 1 and fall just short of goal 2. Hope I'm wrong about the second thought but I just think the upcoming 20 game stretch will be too much. Let's look at the series remaining and try to guess how they play out.

Series 1 @Reds: Man. On paper, we "should" win this series but it's on the road vs a not shitty team who is hot right now, plus no Lugo or Ragans. I'm gonna have to say we go 1-2

Series 2 vs Angels: Would love a sweep here but it's hard to predict those so I'll say 2-1

Series 3 vs Phillies: The Royals have done a great job not getting swept much at all this year (I think only @Texas to this point?). But the Phillies are a great team and the facts don't lie, we have not been very good vs great teams, especially lately. 1-2

Series 4 @Guardians: 4 gamer and we've played them tough so far, I'll say we split 2-2

Series 5 @Astros: They will be out for blood after we kicked their ass in KC earlier. They are playing much better now. I will be optimistic and say we get another split 2-2

Series 6 vs Guardians: Maybe we kinda have their number this year? I'll lean positive and say 2-1

Series 7 vs Twins: Same as above, except the opposite. No one using anything other than blind homerism can honestly pick the Royals to beat the Twins in a series this year. 1-2

Series 8 @Yankees: No need to beat a dead horse on how we do vs really good teams. 1-2

Series 9 @Pirates: Non shitty team (not great but not the White Sox or Tigers) on the road. 1-2

Series 10 vs Tigers: Right in our wheel house. Again, I am not predicting any sweeps for or against, but it wouldn't shock me. 2-1

Series 11 vs Giants: need this one, I think we get it, 2-1

Series 12 @Nationals: Hate to do it but I have to stay consistent. The Nationals aren't good, but then again, neither were the Rockies. 1-2

Series 13 @Braves: Braves are down this year due to injuries but are still good and may need this series themselves 1-2

So, that puts us at a total of....19-21 and 85 wins. That's a great season for the 2024 Royals. And certainly if I'm wrong and they can steal a few more of those games then 88/89 wins is on the board. Of course, the reverse can happen as well and we land on 81-82. I don't see a total collapse nor do I see some "peaking at the right time" run. Should be a fun last few weeks.
I think you're close on most of these, but I can't imagine there won't be a series or maybe even two where we get swept. Hopefully there's at least one if not more series that we surprisingly sweep. I would love to see us just maintain the same pace that we've been on to this point. That gets them a little better than you have them (42 x .545 = 22-19 the rest of the way), but with the tough schedule looming that's probably a lofty expectation. But 88-74 would be a absolutely incredible season following last year's record.
cmh6476 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.cmh6476 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.cmh6476 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.cmh6476 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.cmh6476 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.cmh6476 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.cmh6476 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.cmh6476 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.cmh6476 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.cmh6476 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.cmh6476 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:45 AM   #2074
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabyKeepsMeWarm View Post
41 games to go. I think we can still do this!
Great post. My viewpoint is we are playing with house money from here on out as they greatly overachieved this season. Let's see what they can do.

I never imagined the starting rotation would be as strong as it is, so the front office & coaching deserves major props. I'm now more optimistic to see what the organization can do to strengthen the bullpen in the offseason.
myselff77 is not part of the Right 53.myselff77 is not part of the Right 53.myselff77 is not part of the Right 53.myselff77 is not part of the Right 53.myselff77 is not part of the Right 53.myselff77 is not part of the Right 53.myselff77 is not part of the Right 53.myselff77 is not part of the Right 53.myselff77 is not part of the Right 53.myselff77 is not part of the Right 53.myselff77 is not part of the Right 53.
Old Today, 07:48 AM   #2075
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmh6476 View Post
I think you're close on most of these, but I can't imagine there won't be a series or maybe even two where we get swept. Hopefully there's at least one if not more series that we surprisingly sweep. I would love to see us just maintain the same pace that we've been on to this point. That gets them a little better than you have them (42 x .545 = 22-19 the rest of the way), but with the tough schedule looming that's probably a lofty expectation. But 88-74 would be a absolutely incredible season following last year's record.
The only reason I am not predicting us getting swept at all is we've been so damn good at not getting swept, which really is pretty cool. Not getting swept much means none of the long losing streaks we have been so used to over the years. However, it certainly is possible, as you point out. I would think our "best" chances at getting swept would be vs the Phillies since there will be no Ragans or Lugo in at series and then at the Yankees. Our best chances to sweep would be the Angels and Tigers.
Why Not? is obviously part of the inner Circle.Why Not? is obviously part of the inner Circle.Why Not? is obviously part of the inner Circle.Why Not? is obviously part of the inner Circle.Why Not? is obviously part of the inner Circle.Why Not? is obviously part of the inner Circle.Why Not? is obviously part of the inner Circle.Why Not? is obviously part of the inner Circle.Why Not? is obviously part of the inner Circle.Why Not? is obviously part of the inner Circle.Why Not? is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 08:08 AM   #2076
Veteran

Quote:
The only reason I am not predicting us getting swept at all is we've been so damn good at not getting swept, which really is pretty cool. Not getting swept much means none of the long losing streaks we have been so used to over the years. However, it certainly is possible, as you point out. I would think our "best" chances at getting swept would be vs the Phillies since there will be no Ragans or Lugo in at series and then at the Yankees. Our best chances to sweep would be the Angels and Tigers.
The upside against the Phillies though is that we aren't scheduled to face Wheeler or Nola either. That's a pretty big hit to them too.

The interesting thing about our schedule is that there is a decent chance it is significantly easier than it looks now. There's a solid chance if the Pirates fall out of it, and they already are doing just that, that Skenes and Jones just get shut down. The Braves hopefully won't have anything to play for in the last series and will be setting up their rotation. The Nationals will be planning their trips to Cancun against us. I think some of these series could be more ripe for wins/sweeps than initially appear.
SithCeNtZ is not part of the Right 53.SithCeNtZ is not part of the Right 53.SithCeNtZ is not part of the Right 53.SithCeNtZ is not part of the Right 53.SithCeNtZ is not part of the Right 53.SithCeNtZ is not part of the Right 53.SithCeNtZ is not part of the Right 53.SithCeNtZ is not part of the Right 53.SithCeNtZ is not part of the Right 53.SithCeNtZ is not part of the Right 53.SithCeNtZ is not part of the Right 53.
Old Today, 08:42 AM   #2077
Dazed and Confused

The biggest "worry" I have is the SP, and the innings they're racking up. Most if not all by now are over their career highs, and it has been our main strength, other than the big 3 batters and their production. Hopefully they're not running into a wall.

It's going to be a fun ride to see where they end up. Starting tonight @ the Reds.
PHOG has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.PHOG has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.PHOG has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.PHOG has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.PHOG has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.PHOG has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.PHOG has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.PHOG has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.PHOG has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.PHOG has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.PHOG has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Old Today, 08:43 AM   #2078
Back-to-Back-to-Back.......

We are sweeping the Reds

You heard it hear first

Time to fly
BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 08:45 AM   #2079
The Insider

How much freak out will be had this weekend on the pitching staff for playing at the little league field in Cincinnati.
ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 09:07 AM   #2080
Repeal the 19th Amendment

Quote:
[...] Series 1 @Reds: Man. On paper, we "should" win this series but it's on the road vs a not shitty team who is hot right now, plus no Lugo or Ragans. I'm gonna have to say we go 1-2 [...]
Although our frontline starting pitchers miss this turn in Cincinnati, fortunately for the Royals, so does Reds ace Hunter Greene. He is quietly having a Cy Young calibur season, all the more impressive in Cincinnati.
Greene also likes to vomit on the mound.

Hunter Greene leads MLB in hurling 100-mph pitches — and hurling on the mound

[Highlight] Hunter Greene vomits after his first pitch to Bryan Reynolds
byu/amatom27 inbaseball
GeorgeZimZam has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.GeorgeZimZam has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.GeorgeZimZam has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.GeorgeZimZam has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.GeorgeZimZam has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.GeorgeZimZam has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.GeorgeZimZam has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.GeorgeZimZam has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.GeorgeZimZam has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.GeorgeZimZam has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.GeorgeZimZam has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.
Old Today, 11:07 AM   #2081
Dazed and Confused

Ewwww......
PHOG has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.PHOG has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.PHOG has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.PHOG has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.PHOG has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.PHOG has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.PHOG has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.PHOG has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.PHOG has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.PHOG has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.PHOG has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Old Today, 11:33 AM   #2082

It's modern baseball so it all rides on the bullpen. Hopefully someone can get hot like McArthur did last year. It would make a huge difference. That's what would hold this team back from being a World Series team.

But otherwise they still have a great shot. People act like it's a fluke but this Royals team has been top 10-12 in both offense and pitching and near the top in run differential all year. They don't strikeout which is a huge deal and they're near the top in defensive runs saved. Team with slightly above average hitting and pitching with great contact hitting and fielding numbers. Seems like a team you'd expect to be competing for a playoff spot.
tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 3 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:14 PM   #2083
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWillie View Post
I have some sad news to report. Jac is just doing ok in high A

27 AB, 4 Hits, 1HR, 4 BB, 9 SO, .554 OPS

His HR did come off of a position player in a blow out type game.
BWJ had a .670 OPS in rookie ball his first pro season. I know Bobby was a high school kid, but lots of guys take a minute to adjust to pro ball.
dlphg9 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dlphg9 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dlphg9 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dlphg9 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dlphg9 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dlphg9 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dlphg9 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dlphg9 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dlphg9 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dlphg9 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dlphg9 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.