Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 04-24-2010, 06:18 AM  
In Search of a Life

50 Beers to Try Before You Die

Thought the beer snobs here might like this article (and probably critique the hell out of it).

http://www.wisdeo.com/articles/view_post/2984
(CBS) You've heard of "100 Bottles of Beer on the Wall"?

How about 50 to try before you die?!
Spoiler!

Last edited by Bearcat; 04-01-2011 at 08:05 PM..
NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 09:24 AM   #5806
Would an idiot do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCUnited View Post
I don't really pay attention to the scores unless they're really bad. There's way more mediocre beer out there than good to great but you wouldn't know it by looking at Untappd

I think the average score is in the upper 3's which defies math on a 5 point scale

People want beer to be better than it really is especially if you'd sought it out and paid for it. Then the whole style bias, rating while inebriated, not wanting to self admit you're drinking a shit beer, etc.
Yeah, if it's like 3.8 on Untappd, it'll most likely be <90 on beer advocate and come in as questionable..... if it's 4.2 on Untappd, it could be an 88 'good' or 97 world class on beer advocate.

And the raw ratings on beer advocate can be very similar to Untappd, making it just as frustrating if a beer doesn't have enough ratings to hit their 100 point scale... but, even then I'll trust a detailed 4.17 review on there over a bunch of pics and 4.00 ratings on Untappd.
Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 09:29 AM   #5807
Would an idiot do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceej View Post
I guess I use Untapped more as a beer journal - that way I don't drink a beer I've already had before, unless I love it.

It can get tricky for me when it comes to Drekker and Untitled Arts.
I really should use something given all the travel... I see stuff on shelves that I remember drinking (or did I just Google it...), but I'm generally so picky, I'll opt to only try something that's either well vetted online or that I can sample or buy a single.
Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 09:38 AM   #5808
Cheat Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat View Post
Yeah, if it's like 3.8 on Untappd, it'll most likely be <90 on beer advocate and come in as questionable..... if it's 4.2 on Untappd, it could be an 88 'good' or 97 world class on beer advocate.

And the raw ratings on beer advocate can be very similar to Untappd, making it just as frustrating if a beer doesn't have enough ratings to hit their 100 point scale... but, even then I'll trust a detailed 4.17 review on there over a bunch of pics and 4.00 ratings on Untappd.
Used together BA and Untappd is probably the best gauge

I participated quite a bit on BA, especially the Great Lakes forum, and those dudes in general seem to be more old school. So they're probably underscoring hype beers vs Untappd hyping beers

I do like to look at pics on Untappd though as a gauge

Its similar to Yelp for me. I don't care what you thought of the decor and maybe service was off that night but I can tell I'm going to enjoy that chimichanga by the pic
KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 09:51 AM   #5809
Cheat Death

Untappd can also be good for seeing when a beer was released if a brewery doesn't date their cans. Just scroll back and see when it started getting posted on Untappd
KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 10:15 AM   #5810
Would an idiot do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCUnited View Post
Used together BA and Untappd is probably the best gauge

I participated quite a bit on BA, especially the Great Lakes forum, and those dudes in general seem to be more old school. So they're probably underscoring hype beers vs Untappd hyping beers

I do like to look at pics on Untappd though as a gauge

Its similar to Yelp for me. I don't care what you thought of the decor and maybe service was off that night but I can tell I'm going to enjoy that chimichanga by the pic
Yeah and you'll get 'to the style' perfection like Pliny and CBS being 100 on beer advocate (and could even make the argument of being 100 overall 20 years ago).... both of those are right around 4.5 on Untappd, and ironically that's about what I'd rate them today.
Old Today, 10:25 AM   #5811
Cheat Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat View Post
Yeah and you'll get 'to the style' perfection like Pliny and CBS being 100 on beer advocate (and could even make the argument of being 100 overall 20 years ago).... both of those are right around 4.5 on Untappd, and ironically that's about what I'd rate them today.
Definitely some style evolution going on, along with batch variance which I know both platforms try and mitigate when people are adding beers

I think Untappd does a better job of adding the year it was released or batch 1, 2, 3, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceej View Post
Also, any of you guys use UnTapped religiously?

I could use some friends on there.
WTH I'll fire mine back up