Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room > Media Center
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 12-07-2022, 08:21 AM  
Supporter

Smart Thermostat Recommendations?

I bought this Honeywell smart thermostat I believe either early this year or maybe it was a black Friday deal in 2021.

Honeywell Home RTH9585 Wi-Fi Smart Color Thermostat Model #RTH9585WF1004/W

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Honeywell-H...ity/5002420259

It had been working fine for the past several months but lately, it is acting screwy. We have tried everything including rebooting by removing the faceplate and reinstalling it as well as reset to factory settings. After looking around on the web, I'm discovering that these issues I'm having seem to be common with this model. So, I would like to replace it with something else. I have looked at similar thermostats like Nest and ecobee but I still find complaints about them acting up on people.

Can somebody give me a recommendation on a smart thermostat that will work properly and last for years? I don't need anything with voice control or extra sensors. Just a basic smart thermostat. I like this model for the wi-fi and I can control it from my phone app. It also has a nice big display. The outdoor weather is a nice touch. Looking for any and all suggestions. Are there any good smart thermostats out there that won't break the bank?
Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-07-2022, 03:02 PM   #16
GDT white noise poster

Yeah mine is the older Nest, like one of the first ones I think (it came with the house when I bought it at the end of 2016). I turned off the learning mode but yeah you can't schedule temperatures. You can kind of set things in the app but it kind of defaults to lower/higher temps when it's not at one of the set points at a certain time.

It's not that big of a deal but it's kind of annoying but not so annoying I'm going to buy a replacement before it dies
DrunkBassGuitar is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.DrunkBassGuitar is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.DrunkBassGuitar is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.DrunkBassGuitar is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.DrunkBassGuitar is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.DrunkBassGuitar is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.DrunkBassGuitar is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.DrunkBassGuitar is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.DrunkBassGuitar is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.DrunkBassGuitar is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.DrunkBassGuitar is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
Old 12-07-2022, 03:25 PM   #17
Kind of a mod

For simple: Nest. For a power user like me: Ecobee.
DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-08-2022, 08:24 AM   #18
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi View Post
Most people who have problems with smart thermostats don’t have c wires. If you don’t have it constantly powered you may struggle. I have a nest gen 3 with no problems fwiw.
If I remember correctly, the Honeywell had me do some jumper wires on the furnace. My house was built in 1989 but, we just moved into it 3 years ago. I don't know how old the furnace is, exactly. I don't think its really old by any means. Probably not a newer model, though.

The Honeywell thermostat had been working fine from when I installed it a year ago. Went through last winter and all of the seasons until now with no issues whatsoever. But lately it's been heating the house up to warm at like 4 or 5 am and/or not staying on long enough to heat up the house when we get up at 6:30am. Why can't they make things that work and are durable?

I thought I had it figured out. Did a factory reset. Got rid of the setting that has it heat up so that the temp is at the 70 degrees when we get up in the morning. And that worked flawlessly until this morning. Temp. was right where it was set on the schedule last night. Then went down to lower temp that we like to have overnight. Then kicked on right at 6:30am. The problem is that it wouldn't stay on long enough to heat up past 65. That's not terrible but a little cool getting out of the shower in the morning. I just want something that works .
Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-09-2022, 11:20 AM   #19
Abandoned Former Rams Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFace View Post
For simple: Nest. For a power user like me: Ecobee.
A good way to explain it is Nest is like the Apple of the thermostat world. They make quality products that are easy for anyone to use. If you want to be able to have total control, they may not be the best for you.

Ecobee does make some nice stats, we use this one a lot. Has a built in Alexa speaker (it does everything a stand alone Alexa speaker does) and has optional remote sensors which detect both occupancy & temp. Which allows the thermostat to know what rooms people are in & average the temp of those rooms as the temp reading, as opposed to just using the temp at the thermostat location.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Ecobee-E...-Voice-Control
ScareCrowe would the whole thing.ScareCrowe would the whole thing.ScareCrowe would the whole thing.ScareCrowe would the whole thing.ScareCrowe would the whole thing.ScareCrowe would the whole thing.ScareCrowe would the whole thing.ScareCrowe would the whole thing.ScareCrowe would the whole thing.ScareCrowe would the whole thing.ScareCrowe would the whole thing.
Old 12-09-2022, 09:34 PM   #20
Sometimes it's black and white

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lzen View Post
If I remember correctly, the Honeywell had me do some jumper wires on the furnace. My house was built in 1989 but, we just moved into it 3 years ago. I don't know how old the furnace is, exactly. I don't think its really old by any means. Probably not a newer model, though.

The Honeywell thermostat had been working fine from when I installed it a year ago. Went through last winter and all of the seasons until now with no issues whatsoever. But lately it's been heating the house up to warm at like 4 or 5 am and/or not staying on long enough to heat up the house when we get up at 6:30am. Why can't they make things that work and are durable?

I thought I had it figured out. Did a factory reset. Got rid of the setting that has it heat up so that the temp is at the 70 degrees when we get up in the morning. And that worked flawlessly until this morning. Temp. was right where it was set on the schedule last night. Then went down to lower temp that we like to have overnight. Then kicked on right at 6:30am. The problem is that it wouldn't stay on long enough to heat up past 65. That's not terrible but a little cool getting out of the shower in the morning. I just want something that works .

My 50 year old(?) thermostat still works fine.
Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 08:44 AM   #21
When a nightmare becomes real

I've got a Nest and it works pretty good. My favorite feature is the ability to set a PIN so the wife/kids can't **** with the temperature.
Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 11:01 AM   #22
Three-Pat

Got a Nest as well. Definitely like it.
tredadda has disabled reputation
Old 12-20-2022, 06:58 AM   #23
It was not a fair catch

bump for different reasons

I have a standard thermostat

A few times in the past few weeks, I have dome down and the thermostat has no display. The air exchanger lights are off and the humidifier control was off.

I put a different memory battery in the thermostat a few days ago but it happened again this morning. Luckily the heat continues to work. The lights came back on when I woke up the humidifier control.

Is the thermostat going bad? Had one go bad before. Or the humidifier controller?
displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-20-2022, 09:46 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by displacedinMN View Post
bump for different reasons

I have a standard thermostat

A few times in the past few weeks, I have dome down and the thermostat has no display. The air exchanger lights are off and the humidifier control was off.

I put a different memory battery in the thermostat a few days ago but it happened again this morning. Luckily the heat continues to work. The lights came back on when I woke up the humidifier control.

Is the thermostat going bad? Had one go bad before. Or the humidifier controller?
When you say you changed the memory batteries, were they just like AA or AAA or was it some type of a special battery? If it's just standard AAA/AA then in most cases the batteries are the sole power supply for the display of the thermostat. However if it doesn't have standard batteries it should have a "C" wire & the thermostat display is powered by the low voltage from the furnace.

It sounds like it's the 2nd option, because if batteries are powering the thermostat, the batteries going out shouldn't affect the control for the humidifier. However also if you're losing low voltage from the thermostat the heat shouldn't work. So hard to say exactly whats going on.

Last edited by ScareCrowe; 12-20-2022 at 12:03 PM..
ScareCrowe would the whole thing.ScareCrowe would the whole thing.ScareCrowe would the whole thing.ScareCrowe would the whole thing.ScareCrowe would the whole thing.ScareCrowe would the whole thing.ScareCrowe would the whole thing.ScareCrowe would the whole thing.ScareCrowe would the whole thing.ScareCrowe would the whole thing.ScareCrowe would the whole thing.
Old 12-20-2022, 04:13 PM   #25
It was not a fair catch

the batteries in the thermostat are AA.

Company that installed it said that maybe I needed a new filter. and think it may be over heating because we are also running a humidifier in a room and not using distilled water. Although our water is very good. I will give it a shot. See what happens. Also made sure it was running on a timer and not a hold temp.
displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-20-2022, 05:34 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by displacedinMN View Post
the batteries in the thermostat are AA.

Company that installed it said that maybe I needed a new filter. and think it may be over heating because we are also running a humidifier in a room and not using distilled water. Although our water is very good. I will give it a shot. See what happens. Also made sure it was running on a timer and not a hold temp.
In every example I've seen if it's AA batteries the batteries are what powers the display in the thermostat. Assuming this is the case NOTHING in your furnace/wiring can make the thermostat go blank. It basically has to be either dead batteries or the stat is bad.

I'm not sure what they're talking about with the humidifier. I've installed & worked on hundreds of them & they all hook to tap water. Also in no instance should your furnace "overheating" cause any difference in the way your thermostat operates. And the humidifier won't affect anything either, it may make you feel warmer at a given temperature but it won't affect the operation of the furnace. You might need a new filter but that has nothing to do with the stat going blank, or at least I don't see how it could
Old Today, 01:01 PM   #27
It was not a fair catch

I am going to bump this--since I have commented on it.

I want to switch from this
https://www.kele.com/Catalog/22%20Th...on%20Sheet.pdf

To this
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Y6M2OUC...lig_dp_it&th=1

It looks like it should be easy enough. More concerned about the C wire. Which mine looks like I have it. Just dont want to run it through the wall.

I would do it later, when dont really need ac or heat.

Issues?

Pics are from the old thermostat.
Old Today, 01:55 PM   #28
error 404

I have my nest linked to my amazon alexa. I can tell alexa to adjust the thermastat from my bed in the middle of the night of it's to cold or hot.
sd4chiefs Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.sd4chiefs Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.sd4chiefs Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.sd4chiefs Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.sd4chiefs Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.sd4chiefs Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.sd4chiefs Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.sd4chiefs Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.sd4chiefs Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.sd4chiefs Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.sd4chiefs Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.