Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old Today, 01:47 PM  
The Guy With The Goats

Why are purchased/sold autographs so sought after?

I gotta think we have a few people in house that are autograph hounds or have a bunch of memorabilia that is autographed. Figured this would be a good place to ask...

why? I'm not asking in a judgmental looking down sort of way. People have their hobbies.

My brother gave me a mini helmet autographed by Jamaal Charles with a COA that sits on my desk which inspired the question. I derive greater value in the fact that my brother thought of me and spent his money to give it to me over the fact Jamaal Charles signed it and someone printed a "yup... he signed it" certificate. He knew Charles was my favorite player at the time and even he assigned additional value to the item because Charles had signed it.

I've never really understood the appeal of ones that are purchased. Like... I think about the time I got Okoye's autograph as a kid and it is a great memory but I was physically there. I then put the card in a plastic hard case and gave it to my buddy. Double great memory.

Jumping online and ordering one, to me, just doesn't have that same effect.

---

What is it about autographs that you buy online or at a local shop that makes you want them and spend money on them?

TIA
Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Old Today, 01:51 PM   #2
MER

I dunno.

Slash signed like 50 albums last night and sold them in merch. LEOs were buying them in between their shifts. Big goofy smiles on their faces as they put them in their cars.

If this was a forum full of witches they’d tell you objects hold energy.
Katipan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Katipan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Katipan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Katipan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Katipan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Katipan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Katipan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Katipan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Katipan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Katipan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Katipan is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 02:08 PM   #3
pie is never free

I've never bought an autograph, but I can understand the appeal even if it wasn't obtained in person... you still get a piece of that person, just without the memory to go with it
Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 02:09 PM   #4
Consuming CP souls

Agree. It's odd what we hold as "value "
Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 02:19 PM   #5
In Search of a Life

I have a Mahomes autographed Speed Helmet.
IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 02:21 PM   #6
Thread I will end you.......

I was gifted a football with Derrick Thomas and Marcus Allen on it...

That ball to me is priceless, the story behind it is as well...
digger is obviously part of the inner Circle.digger is obviously part of the inner Circle.digger is obviously part of the inner Circle.digger is obviously part of the inner Circle.digger is obviously part of the inner Circle.digger is obviously part of the inner Circle.digger is obviously part of the inner Circle.digger is obviously part of the inner Circle.digger is obviously part of the inner Circle.digger is obviously part of the inner Circle.digger is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 02:31 PM   #7
Wasted away again...

My wife gave me Mahomes signed helmet from his rookie year for Christmas one year. It's now worth a lot more than what she paid, but I'd never sell it.
Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:40 PM   #8
NFL's #1 Ermines Fan

I think autographs are cool as a memento of the person, but I'm not really into autographs that were made as a product for profit. Give me a historic letter with the person's signature at the end and I'll see it as more desirable.
Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 02:41 PM   #9
Veteran

I have several autographs, all sports stuff except a signed Tool poster. I never spent crazy money but it’s fun to have it. My favorite is a signed Carl Lewis sports illustrated magazine I got for $20.
Hamwallet 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliHamwallet 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliHamwallet 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliHamwallet 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliHamwallet 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliHamwallet 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliHamwallet 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliHamwallet 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliHamwallet 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliHamwallet 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliHamwallet 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
Old Today, 03:32 PM   #10
Constable of Untruths

I have an autographed mini helmet from every Chiefs Hall of Fame player that was originally drafter by the Chiefs with the exception of Buck Buchanon. It's just a fun little thing I like to collect and makes a good conversation piece in my man cave.
LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 03:34 PM   #11
Needs more middle fingers

I had an Elvis Grbac signed jersey. I ended up throwing it in the washing machine and the autograph came off....lol /shrug
ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 03:37 PM   #12
Veteran

Where can I get my Pokemon cards signed?

I do have a Lenny signed Pro/College Hall of Fame football...My son is getting that
poolboy 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellipoolboy 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellipoolboy 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellipoolboy 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellipoolboy 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellipoolboy 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellipoolboy 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellipoolboy 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellipoolboy 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellipoolboy 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellipoolboy 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
Old Today, 03:39 PM   #13
Don't Be A Dick

Wait Okoye actually got you an autograph? Still waiting on mine.
J Diddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.J Diddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.J Diddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.J Diddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.J Diddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.J Diddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.J Diddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.J Diddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.J Diddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.J Diddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.J Diddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 03:41 PM   #14
pie is never free

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolboy View Post
Where can I get my Pokemon cards signed?

I do have a Lenny signed Pro/College Hall of Fame football...My son is getting that
Pretty sure Spongebob is friends with those guys, you might ask him about it
Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 03:47 PM   #15
ATACMS 1 S-500 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephistopheles Janx View Post
What is it about autographs that you buy online or at a local shop that makes you want them and spend money on them?
For the same reason people buy expensive art, classic cars, etc. It has just enough appeal that it can be used as a tool to store wealth.
El Lobo Gordo Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.El Lobo Gordo Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.El Lobo Gordo Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.El Lobo Gordo Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.El Lobo Gordo Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.El Lobo Gordo Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.El Lobo Gordo Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.El Lobo Gordo Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.El Lobo Gordo Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.El Lobo Gordo Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.El Lobo Gordo Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.