Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 07-13-2024, 06:29 AM  
Supporter

Grasshoppers on your cereal? Grubs in your rice?

Locusts in your noodles? Singapore approves 16 insect species as food

From locusts to superworms to honey bees, Singapore has approved 16 species of insects for human consumption.

“With immediate effect, SFA will allow the import of insects and insect products belonging to species that have been assessed to be of low regulatory concern,” the Singapore Food Agency said in a statement.

The agency said the following list of approved bugs can be imported for both human consumption and animal feed for food producing animals.

1)Western honey bee/European honey bee

2)Silkworm/silk moth

3)Lesser wax moth

4)Honeycomb moth/greater wax moth

5)Giant Rhino beetle grub

6)Whitegrub

7)Mealworm

8)Lesser mealworm

9)Superworm beetles/giant mealworm beetle/king mealworm

10)Grasshopper

11)American desert locust/desert locust

12)African migratory locust

13)Black/field cricket/two-spotted cricket

14)Common/field cricket

15)Banded cricket

16)House cricket

Some local restaurants and retailers have already made plans to add insects to their offerings.

Sustainability-focused Gastrobar Fura had said it would feature insect proteins on its menu following SFA approval. Insectyumz celebrated the approval and said it would import, distribute and sell a range of edible insects. Seafood restaurant House of Seafood also introduced a selection of “intriguing insect dishes” alongside its current menu.

Singapore’s food agency acknowledged that the country’s insect industry is “nascent” and that the critters are a new food item in the city-state. But in announcing a regulatory framework for edible insect imports, the SFA emphasized its priority was ensuring the safety of food consumed in Singapore.

Edible insects on a bowl of rice.

The guidelines stipulate that the insects cannot be harvested from the wild and must be manufactured in regulated premises. SFA said that in its consideration of new insects for consumption, they must have a documented history of consumption as food outside of Singapore.

The United Nations’ Food and Agriculture Organization has promoted insects as alternative protein sources which are also more sustainable as their cultivation emits less greenhouse gases than traditional animal livestock.

“Edible insects contain high quality protein, vitamins and amino acids for humans,” the FAO said, adding that insects require less feed than sheep or cattle to yield an equivalent amount of protein.

The SFA noted that other countries already allow insect consumption, including Australia, South Korea, Thailand and the European Union.

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/07/10/locu...ent=newsletter
HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-13-2024, 03:15 PM   #31
Fight, build, win!

This is a thread made for Bugeater! Where ya Bugs?
srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2024, 05:37 PM   #32
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasta Little Brioni View Post
"You will eat zee bugs and like it"

Just the beginning....
Slowly normalizing it.
MarkDavis'Haircut is obviously part of the inner Circle.MarkDavis'Haircut is obviously part of the inner Circle.MarkDavis'Haircut is obviously part of the inner Circle.MarkDavis'Haircut is obviously part of the inner Circle.MarkDavis'Haircut is obviously part of the inner Circle.MarkDavis'Haircut is obviously part of the inner Circle.MarkDavis'Haircut is obviously part of the inner Circle.MarkDavis'Haircut is obviously part of the inner Circle.MarkDavis'Haircut is obviously part of the inner Circle.MarkDavis'Haircut is obviously part of the inner Circle.MarkDavis'Haircut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-13-2024, 08:13 PM   #33
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisconsin_Chief View Post
This. We’d be better off eating bugs than probably 70% of the “food” most people eat on a daily basis.
High protein and little fat... I have traveled some and well unless the USA not unheard of.
Smed1065 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Smed1065 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Smed1065 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Smed1065 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Smed1065 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Smed1065 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Smed1065 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Smed1065 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Smed1065 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Smed1065 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Smed1065 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 07-13-2024, 08:40 PM   #34
Don't Be A Dick

You ain’t tried bbq until you’ve tried KC barbecued grub worms.
J Diddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.J Diddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.J Diddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.J Diddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.J Diddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.J Diddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.J Diddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.J Diddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.J Diddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.J Diddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.J Diddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-13-2024, 08:46 PM   #35
Retired Bearcat

Years ago my mom bought me a sucker with ants in it as a gag gift (they were on a cruise and in a different country).....Wasn't bad...kinda crunchy

Last edited by HayWire; 07-13-2024 at 09:02 PM..
HayWire threw an interception on a screen pass.HayWire threw an interception on a screen pass.HayWire threw an interception on a screen pass.HayWire threw an interception on a screen pass.HayWire threw an interception on a screen pass.HayWire threw an interception on a screen pass.HayWire threw an interception on a screen pass.HayWire threw an interception on a screen pass.HayWire threw an interception on a screen pass.HayWire threw an interception on a screen pass.HayWire threw an interception on a screen pass.
Old 07-13-2024, 10:18 PM   #36
Politically Incorrect

I ate both black ants and fried green scorpions in China among a lot of other weird shit I ate or tried to eat.
scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Yesterday, 05:31 AM   #37
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scho63 View Post
I ate both black ants and fried green scorpions in China among a lot of other weird shit I ate or tried to eat.
Did you intentionally order them or were they snuck in on you? No other options or just trying something different?
HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Yesterday, 06:14 AM   #38
Politically Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiEd View Post
Did you intentionally order them or were they snuck in on you? No other options or just trying something different?
I was the guest at several banquets and they all try to get you to eat funky shit as both a test and relationship builder.

The fried green scorpions were deep fried in a wok, then placed on a tall pile of whipped Meringue which resembled a mountain. They blow torch the tips and add some Chinese vegetables to look like trees and grass. Then there was a cup of blended salt to dip them in.

Tasted like putting a peanut shell in your mouth, chewing it and then getting the meat. Little numbing but barely any flavor. You spit out the shell.

The black ants were dropped out of a box, thousands of them onto hot oil and they all popped apart and their little hairs burned off. Then they had a strainer, added them to a light sauce and added to a noodle dish. Tasted like soft poppy seeds.

I ate donkey, abalone, pigeon, snake and snake blood, live prawns called drunken pawns.

Never ate dog or anything real far fetched.

The worst thing I tried to eat was river turtle. It was disgusting and tasted like dirty mop bucket water with rubber bands. It was foul.

My favorite liquor was Wu Liang Ye
scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Yesterday, 09:46 AM   #39
Live free or die hard

Quote:
I was the guest at several banquets and they all try to get you to eat funky shit as both a test and relationship builder.

The fried green scorpions were deep fried in a wok, then placed on a tall pile of whipped Meringue which resembled a mountain. They blow torch the tips and add some Chinese vegetables to look like trees and grass. Then there was a cup of blended salt to dip them in.

Tasted like putting a peanut shell in your mouth, chewing it and then getting the meat. Little numbing but barely any flavor. You spit out the shell.

The black ants were dropped out of a box, thousands of them onto hot oil and they all popped apart and their little hairs burned off. Then they had a strainer, added them to a light sauce and added to a noodle dish. Tasted like soft poppy seeds.

I ate donkey, abalone, pigeon, snake and snake blood, live prawns called drunken pawns.

The worst thing I tried to eat was river turtle. It was disgusting and tasted like dirty mop bucket water with rubber bands. It was foul.

Eaten snapper turtle that was made in haste sitting around a camp fire and it was not good. At all. That's a meat that needs at least 24 hours of marinade in soy sauce, worchester, brown sugar and just about anything else to make it taste edible.

Been wanting to try alligator for many years but haven't had the opportunity to try it fresh and don't want to spoil the experience. Heard it's good when made properly.
Otter is obviously part of the inner Circle.Otter is obviously part of the inner Circle.Otter is obviously part of the inner Circle.Otter is obviously part of the inner Circle.Otter is obviously part of the inner Circle.Otter is obviously part of the inner Circle.Otter is obviously part of the inner Circle.Otter is obviously part of the inner Circle.Otter is obviously part of the inner Circle.Otter is obviously part of the inner Circle.Otter is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:41 PM   #40
Politically Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
Eaten snapper turtle that was made in haste sitting around a camp fire and it was not good. At all. That's a meat that needs at least 24 hours of marinade in soy sauce, worchester, brown sugar and just about anything else to make it taste edible.

Been wanting to try alligator for many years but haven't had the opportunity to try it fresh and don't want to spoil the experience. Heard it's good when made properly.
I saw no alligator eaten in China

What was really sad was to walk into a traditional Chinese medicine store in Hong Kong and see all the shit they take from nature. I saw thousands and thousands of seahorses and other sensitive animals and parts like shark fin.

I had shark fin soup at a dinner that cost $3500 for 8 people. I was a guest.
Old Yesterday, 03:49 PM   #41
Supporter

Quote:

Holy shit, you have tried some crazy stuff. No way could I be induced into trying about any of that.

I remember when in the Navy on Guam we supplied medical care/transport to the rest of the Micronesian Islands with our HU-16D seaplane and one time on the island of Kapingamarangi, we were offered their delicacy of "fish eye soup" and this 19 year old kid turned it down.
Old Yesterday, 03:54 PM   #42
Needs more middle fingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayWire View Post
Years ago my mom bought me a sucker with ants in it as a gag gift (they were on a cruise and in a different country).....Wasn't bad...kinda crunchy
Store down the street from my work sells Scorpion pops and fried grasshoppers and some other worm thing.

I asked the attendant if they sell, he claims they can barely keep them in stock. Big'O basket of that shit right at the register.
ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Yesterday, 05:44 PM   #43
When a nightmare becomes real

I had a scoop of green matcha ice cream with chocolate covered crickets and burnt toffee mealworms. Very tasty.

That’s the only time I’ve tried insects. I’d try them again, as long as they are “supposed to be good” and prepared well.
Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.
Old Yesterday, 07:52 PM   #44
Consuming CP souls

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLO View Post
Oh shut the hell up
Why would I do that?
Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Yesterday, 07:54 PM   #45
Consuming CP souls

Quote:
I saw no alligator eaten in China

What was really sad was to walk into a traditional Chinese medicine store in Hong Kong and see all the shit they take from nature. I saw thousands and thousands of seahorses and other sensitive animals and parts like shark fin.

I had shark fin soup at a dinner that cost $3500 for 8 people. I was a guest.
Sharka Finoni?
Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.