Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 03-28-2024, 08:39 AM  
Has a particular set of skills

***Official 2024 STL Cardinals Thread ***

I'll update the rosters and opening day lineup when its officially released.

2024 Opening Day roster.
Spoiler!

For the new Cardinal fans that joined the Planet since last year, here are some of the historical threads going back to 2006.

Last edited by BigRedChief; 03-28-2024 at 10:04 AM..
BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-14-2024, 06:16 PM   #436
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry View Post
The W Boys up the middle of the Cardinals with Wynn and Weatherholt. Solid pick for Cardinals. Weatherholt can hit.
Hit is the biggest deal. It's crazy to me that a team like the Nationals would take a player in the top 10 like Seaver King that has hit concerns.
Ocotillo Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Ocotillo Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Ocotillo Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Ocotillo Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Ocotillo Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Ocotillo Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Ocotillo Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Ocotillo Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Ocotillo Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Ocotillo Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Ocotillo Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old Yesterday, 09:22 AM   #437
Has a particular set of skills

From the Athletic Cardinals draft JJ Wetherholt with No. 7 pick:

‘They’re getting a baller’

By Katie Woo and Chad Jennings
Jul 14, 2024
St. Louis Cardinals scouting director Randy Flores couldn’t help but smile when asked if he was surprised JJ Wetherholt was still available as the Cardinals prepared to make their first pick of the MLB Draft.

The consensus inside the draft room: “We were very, very excited,” Flores said.

With the seventh pick and their first top-10 selection since 1998, the Cardinals landed a player they were on high from the start. Wetherholt, a 21-year-old infielder out of West Virginia, was expected to go anywhere in the first 10 selections, even as high as No. 1. When it became clear to St. Louis that Wetherholt would still be there at No. 7, the pick was a no-brainer.

“If you were to look back and see our draft room discussions, from our baseball development group, to our mental skills group who was present at our combine interviews, to our scouts who saw him as an underclassman, or area scouts who have known him for years, if you get any chance to listen to how JJ presents himself and his journey, you realize that this is a special young man,” Flores said.

Wetherholt traveled with his family to Fort Worth, Texas, and was on-site when his name was called. On stage, MLB Draft analyst Xavier Scruggs, a former Cardinal, asked Wetherholt what kind of player the Cardinals were getting, and he shot straight.

“They’re getting a baller, man,” Wetherholt answered. “I can do it all. I can do a little bit of everything. And I’m a learner. I’m super excited to see what the Cardinals can do to make me a better player.”

Wetherholt grew up in Pittsburgh and was quite familiar with the Cardinals as a kid. He wasn’t necessarily a Pirates fan, quipping instead that he often attended games at PNC Park to see the visiting team.

“Surprisingly, we’re not the craziest Pittsburgh family, but I know a lot of friends back home texted me and they did not want me to go to the Cardinals,” Wetherholt said coyly. “But now they’ll become Cardinals fans.”

Wetherholt knew coming into the draft that St. Louis was a possible landing spot for him, and even dreamed last month that the Cardinals would take him.

“I had just woken up from a nap,” he laughed. “I woke up and I was saying Cardinals.”

Now that it’s a reality, Wetherholt is thrilled.

“I had a really great meeting with them,” he said. “They brought a lot of people in to talk. Great conversations. I really wasn’t too sure at the end of the day where I would go, but we found out it was the Cardinals, and I couldn’t be happier.”

“It’s a baseball city. They’re winners, and I’m super excited to join the family,” he added.

Regarded as arguably the top contact hitter in his class, Wetherholt had a second hamstring strain in the last 12 months that may have initially dampened his projections. But he rebounded firmly in his junior season, leaving scouts and evaluators marveling at his bat-to-ball skills, specifically on pitches in the zone. He hit .336 with a 1.061 OPS in 36 games for West Virginia this year and walked (30) more times than he struck out (17). He’s a scrappy infielder who played most of last season at shortstop but also has ample experience at third and second base. He’ll begin in the Cardinals system as a shortstop, though Flores mentioned Wetherholt’s defensive versatility being a strength, highlighting how the organization uses players like Tommy Edman and Brendan Donovan as examples.

The Cardinals are not overly concerned about Wetherholt’s hamstring injury. To the contrary, how Wetherholt rebounded from his latest injury — a Grade-3 strain suffered in February — was a selling point for Flores and his team.

“Hearing him go over his program and the steps that he’s taken to ensure that physically, he’s able to meet the rigors of the game … the fact that he showed he could get back on the field and excel is something we do anticipate him 100 percent moving forward and having this in his rearview mirror,” Flores said.

Another underlying trait the Cardinals valued, Flores said, was Wetherholt’s commitment to West Virginia, where he played all three of his collegiate seasons.

“Knowing that he has that type of grit, knowing also that he has that type of loyalty in this day and age, with the (transfer) portal and NILs and the opportunities these ballplayers are afforded,” Flores explained. “For him to ascend to a spot where he was the top position player on many boards going into this spring and the loyalty he had for West Virginia who liked him before anyone else, I think that is another trait that is maybe understated.”

The Cardinals have a slot value of $6,823,700 with their No. 7 pick this year. They forfeited their second-round pick when they signed pitcher Sonny Gray, a qualified free agent, meaning they will not pick again until the 80th overall section in Round 3. The organization expects to sign Wetherholt and will look to assign him to an affiliate. Already, the Cardinals are excited about Wetherholt’s future.

“He’s hit, and he’s always hit,” Flores said. “What was really impressive to our scouting group this summer was that he did it against the best competition and he did it while nursing some soreness. Oftentimes in this day and age, it’s natural, players only want to play when they’re 100 percent. But he was someone who knew that even though he was limited a little bit physically, he was taking at-bats.

“He’s athletic, he has good hands, he has speed, good contact and he knows how to damage when the pitch warrants it. … All indications are that he is ready to go and start playing. We can’t wait to begin that onboarding process.”
BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Yesterday, 11:09 AM   #438
Veteran

Shocked that he fell to the Cards at number 7. Hope the positive momentum continues for the rest of the draft. Thanks for sharing that article!

Last edited by Marco Polo; Yesterday at 11:17 AM..
Marco Polo has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Marco Polo has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Marco Polo has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Marco Polo has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Marco Polo has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Marco Polo has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Marco Polo has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Marco Polo has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Marco Polo has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Marco Polo has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Marco Polo has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.
Old Yesterday, 11:41 AM   #439
Consuming CP souls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocotillo View Post
Heyward had a .393 OBP at age 20. His most similar batter by age on Baseball Reference was Willie Mays at 20 LOL

The rest of his career was a lot of frustration and meh.
He was my first "Noot". A player every one sucked off at first that i saw through. Then act all shocked when he turns out a turd.Two for two on those 2 players. Boom...
Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Yesterday, 11:45 AM   #440
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasta Little Brioni View Post
He was my first "Noot". A player every one sucked off at first that i saw through. Then act all shocked when he turns out a turd.Two for two on those 2 players. Boom...
You saw through the "turd" Nootbaar who holds a career 3.4 fWAR over a 162 game span. Wow. You are so good at this.
jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:47 AM   #441
Consuming CP souls

Just stop. You're pathetic. Empty ****ing stat. End of the order/platoon guy. That hobo Brandon Marsh is what you think Noot is.
Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Yesterday, 11:49 AM   #442
Consuming CP souls

You aren't winning this
Old Yesterday, 11:51 AM   #443
What's up braj?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasta Little Brioni View Post
You aren't winning this
Literally everyone here disagrees with you on this point.
Jewish Rabbi is obviously part of the inner Circle.Jewish Rabbi is obviously part of the inner Circle.Jewish Rabbi is obviously part of the inner Circle.Jewish Rabbi is obviously part of the inner Circle.Jewish Rabbi is obviously part of the inner Circle.Jewish Rabbi is obviously part of the inner Circle.Jewish Rabbi is obviously part of the inner Circle.Jewish Rabbi is obviously part of the inner Circle.Jewish Rabbi is obviously part of the inner Circle.Jewish Rabbi is obviously part of the inner Circle.Jewish Rabbi is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:53 AM   #444
Consuming CP souls

Gimp that can't stay healthy in an every day role/ .230 career hitter...superstar! I can bump the same people like jd that used WAR for Heyward too. He also was forced into a spot at the top of the order for far too long and propped up by subjective defensive metrics.

Ya no one is winning this...