Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 03-22-2023, 11:45 AM  
I'll **** anything that moves!

Is Anyone Here a Lawyer or Member of Law Enforcement?

I've got a situation.

My dad died in May of last year, and I'm the executor of his estate. It's been a nightmare. He died without a will and sorting through everything has been an awful mess.

My father lived in Iowa, and he had a "companion" that he met online. I've been very skeptical of this woman from the outset, but how do you tell your 78 year old father he's being taken for a ride? His "companion" lives in New Mexico, and my father would go down to New Mexico during the Winter months. Dad bought a motor home and left it in New Mexico, giving her full access. However, the motor home was only titled and registered in his name.

Well, after dad died, I discovered this woman had the motor home retitled and registered in her name.

I've spoken to several lawyers, including the DA of the county in which the motor home was stolen, as well as the state police and local law enforcement, and I haven't gotten anywhere.

Law enforcement is calling it a civil matter, even saying that this woman claims my father gave her the vehicle prior to his death. It's incredibly frustrating. If her claims are true, which they are not, why did she wait until after he died to retitle and reregister the vehicle?

Every attorney I've spoken to is calling this a law enforcement matter.

It's like nobody wants to do their ****ing job, and I'm at my wits end about this.

Any advice?

Last edited by GabyKeepsMeWarm; 03-22-2023 at 11:52 AM..
GabyKeepsMeWarm is not part of the Right 53.GabyKeepsMeWarm is not part of the Right 53.GabyKeepsMeWarm is not part of the Right 53.GabyKeepsMeWarm is not part of the Right 53.GabyKeepsMeWarm is not part of the Right 53.GabyKeepsMeWarm is not part of the Right 53.GabyKeepsMeWarm is not part of the Right 53.GabyKeepsMeWarm is not part of the Right 53.GabyKeepsMeWarm is not part of the Right 53.GabyKeepsMeWarm is not part of the Right 53.GabyKeepsMeWarm is not part of the Right 53.
Old 05-30-2024, 01:26 AM   #151

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdolfOliverBush View Post
Is there any chance that he actually did give her the RV? It's not uncommon for an old guy to allow himself to be taken advantage of by a rotten bitch, to avoid being alone.
Doesn’t matter. There is zero paper trail for her claim of the vehicle. Even if he did gift it to her, she hasn’t been able to make any clear claim of it, with the exception of taking claim of it and retitling it.

It’s so ****ed, I get to sound ridiculous and with it, at the same time.

It’s great when we have legal beuaracracy that prevents a guy from going to the DMV, but then walking down the hall with a “title” and getting that shit signed off.
GabyKeepsMeWarm is not part of the Right 53.GabyKeepsMeWarm is not part of the Right 53.GabyKeepsMeWarm is not part of the Right 53.GabyKeepsMeWarm is not part of the Right 53.GabyKeepsMeWarm is not part of the Right 53.GabyKeepsMeWarm is not part of the Right 53.GabyKeepsMeWarm is not part of the Right 53.GabyKeepsMeWarm is not part of the Right 53.GabyKeepsMeWarm is not part of the Right 53.GabyKeepsMeWarm is not part of the Right 53.GabyKeepsMeWarm is not part of the Right 53.
Old 05-30-2024, 01:36 AM   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosef_Malkovitch View Post
I am a lawyer. My first thought when I read the OP is that most lawyers don't want to bother with this because there's not much money in it for them.

Not saying you (OP) have done this, but the amount of people who call up and "just want to ask a few questions about [their] rights" but have no intent of paying for my time is staggering. And I'm usually not inclined to put much effort into talking to them unless and until the clock is running and I'm getting paid.

A lawyer doesn't get a salary. He is paid for his time. Put differently, his time is what he sells. Every 15 minutes he spends talking to a non-paying caller is 15 minutes he's not getting paid for. It's literally like taking money out of his pocket.

Combine that with a (probable) low dollar case, and you're going to have a hard time getting anyone to seriously look into the issues and discuss them because they already suspect you're not going to want to pay them what it will cost to litigate. Simply put, they don't want to waste their time.

If you really want to get a lawyer to take a serious look into it, you need to start off the conversation by telling them you will pay their hourly rate for their time discussing it with you--regardless of whether you ultimately litigate or not. That way, if they spend time investigating and dissecting your situation and you decide you don't want to sue (which, to be honest, is probably going to be the outcome unless it's an extremely valuable vehicle), they still get compensated.

Just my 2 cents.
Thanks. I’m glad I went elsewhere. So far so good.

But I spoke to a few lawyers who “sorta” sounded like you.

I’m sure you’re a great lawyer though…. God bless
Thumbs Up 0 Thumbs Down 1     Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 01:49 AM   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eureka View Post
Have you ever thought of the scenario where she earned every bit of that RV by making your father a happy man in his older age? He did drive far to see her so I'm guessing she was good for something.

I’ve considered it. I’m not a monster who wants this. If my dad could have had a solid companion during his end days, I would’ve been totally down. She wasn’t it.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 01:55 AM   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enid Borden View Post
We need tort reform for a number of reasons and state legislatures have concerns elsewhere, such as springing criminals and spreading unicorns and rainbows.

I've read that if someone gets their hands on a title, they can steal a property quite easily which is why we're told to keep registrations and not titles in vehicles. It's really too bad your dad didn't sent you the title for safe keeping or something. There's no question she got the title by forgery. It's the only way. I would think that would require a notary to do so, so there is probably a dirty notary involved also.
It’s funny you mention TORT reform. It’s ****ed that I even know about TORT. And the only reason I know, is due to my dad dying, being his executor, and having to file a civil suit.

I feel like it’s very “American”! We should all be trained in minimal math, geography, social distancing, humor and Built to Spill.

**** it man…. Time to play the drums and relax from this shit.
Old 05-30-2024, 07:00 AM   #155
Politically Incorrect

The official explicit video

scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-30-2024, 07:24 AM   #156
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabyKeepsMeWarm View Post
Yeah. I know. Therein lies the rub. But I will "collect" one way or another, be it cash in fist, or a lead pipe and a blow torch. But hey, thanks for the optimism.
You were telling lawyers to “do their ****ing job” in the OP.

Sounds like you would have been a real treat to represent.

Good luck bloodletting that stone.
PatMahomesIsGod is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.PatMahomesIsGod is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.
Old 05-30-2024, 01:21 PM   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatMahomesIsGod View Post
You were telling lawyers to “do their ****ing job” in the OP.

Sounds like you would have been a real treat to represent.

Good luck bloodletting that stone.
I think I was mostly referring to law enforcement at that time, and I was also incredibly frustrated. This has been a horrible experience.

But here’s to hoping nobody close to you ever dies and you get to be executor and then discover your loved one had been taken advantage of before they passed.
Old 05-30-2024, 02:04 PM   #158
Veteran

My dad died earlier this year and his will said his ex of 6 years owes him (and therefore my sis and I) $240,000...which she obviously doesn't want to pay. She was also a complete c***. Suffice to say I have nothing useful to say aside from I feel for you and good luck.
JPH83 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.JPH83 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.JPH83 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.JPH83 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.JPH83 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.JPH83 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.JPH83 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.JPH83 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.JPH83 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.JPH83 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.JPH83 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote